Unlock SHOUT!

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

MithralMelody

Re: Unlock SHOUT!

Unread post by MithralMelody »

It doesn't look like the community consensus has changed in the two months since OP posted this exact same thing.
Melody Darius
House Darius

Retired to Waterdeep with her loving husband and on-the-way son!

Commissioned Art: Melody Darius
Commissioned Art: Fingal and Melody Darius

Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

... shouting, huh? Easy peasy.

You're welcome!
... misinformed players making comments when they either:
A. Are too lazy to/Do not know how to invest in detection.
B. Do not know how detection mechanics work.
C. Do not know how stealth mechanics work.
D. Have never played a character with HiPS
E. Are just. plain. salty.

Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

In the words of Tears for Fears,

This is a thing I can do without, come on.
Nathan Goldenmane - Knife Fighter of Sune

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Guard and Performer, The Siren's Song

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

jclay65 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:57 am
. I know for my play style it would save me a lot of time.
I can say I know a bit of your play style, and it is curios to me that you'd need a Shout function for...what for exactly?

Maybe if you elucidate on your play style, the Community can come up with some alternative suggestions that help you accomplish what it is your missing, currently.
Storybuilding

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Path of the Mindful Blade & Seafarer
|> Monserrate — Circle of Rust and the Worm

DM Doom

Unread post by DM Doom »

The only appropriate implementation of shout on bgtscc would be the one where using /s channel (by non-dm) results in yelling, and 50% larger speech reach radius for that.

Honestly I thought we already had that, but then realized that I saw this feature elsewhere.

jclay65

Unread post by jclay65 »

I am well aware of my previous post MithraMelody, thank you for pointing out the obvious. I more or less expected the negative response's from all you "it's a RP sever idiot" types. But we haven't tried allowing everyone access to the SHOUT option. But you seem to have that magical ability to predict the future. All I'm saying is, let's just give it a try. I can't imagine it would take much effort to toggle it on for all! I have my reasons for wanting access to it and I don't really care to share that reasoning with the whole server. Best I can tell the server is far from where it was a few short years ago. (DM's having to boot AFKer's because the server was full. I think the staff and all those that contribute there time , blood, sweat and tears to this great server deserver much more then a hardy thank you. I wish I had the skills to do even a little to help. But I am me, I have to work with what I have. So..... just take my word when I tell you the SHOUT would be of great help to me and many others in promoting group adventuring and in turn maybe some great RP as well.

I won't say another word on the subject. I really don't care to be bullied by those the don't or won't see where I'm coming from.

Thanks for at least taking the time to read this post.

Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

I don't see any bullying going on. If there were, I would moderate it.

We had the shout enabled for many years. It was abused. It was misused. That is why it is shut off. I'm not the one that decides such things but I can only imagine that if I were I would want more than a "hey lets try it" as the reason behind the request.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome

EasternCheesE

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

jclay65 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:43 pm
I am well aware of my previous post MithraMelody, thank you for pointing out the obvious. I more or less expected the negative response's from all you "it's a RP sever idiot" types. But we haven't tried allowing everyone access to the SHOUT option. But you seem to have that magical ability to predict the future. All I'm saying is, let's just give it a try. I can't imagine it would take much effort to toggle it on for all! I have my reasons for wanting access to it and I don't really care to share that reasoning with the whole server. Best I can tell the server is far from where it was a few short years ago. (DM's having to boot AFKer's because the server was full. I think the staff and all those that contribute there time , blood, sweat and tears to this great server deserver much more then a hardy thank you. I wish I had the skills to do even a little to help. But I am me, I have to work with what I have. So..... just take my word when I tell you the SHOUT would be of great help to me and many others in promoting group adventuring and in turn maybe some great RP as well.

I won't say another word on the subject. I really don't care to be bullied by those the don't or won't see where I'm coming from.

Thanks for at least taking the time to read this post.
We do already have "Player scry" in terms of ones who want to RP and cooperate. When i want party, i put a status here and simply write a PM to those who, i think, may want to tag along. If i see someone has his/her area/level/name covered, it simply means they don't want to be bothered by some strangers.

As soon as there is a tool for partymaking, not perfect one though, why would one allow for some more forced tool? I definitely don't want to see "Wanna have party" every 5 minutes by random people when i'm in the middle of my things. Gathering people may be hard, but if you play for some time, you will occasionally get some familiar faces to tag along and the more you are here, the more opportunities for party and rp you get.

jclay65

Unread post by jclay65 »

Planehopper wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:08 pm
I don't see any bullying going on. If there were, I would moderate it.

We had the shout enabled for many years. It was abused. It was misused. That is why it is shut off. I'm not the one that decides such things but I can only imagine that if I were I would want more than a "hey lets try it" as the reason behind the request.
Anyone remember this? I sure don't.

Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

I feel like you're trying to dispute my claim?

http://theswordcoast.proboards.com/thre ... ut-channel

Here is the first thread when the complaining started, but feel free to peruse the old boards, I am sure there are other mentions of it.

Like this one: http://theswordcoast.proboards.com/thre ... d-me-shout
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Zahven Thruel - Mysterious Mage
Wizzelbert Cranksproket - Lantanese Gnome

tfunke
Custom Content

Unread post by tfunke »

Steve wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:06 pm
Maybe if you elucidate on your play style, the Community can come up with some alternative suggestions that help you accomplish what it is your missing, currently.
Just a thought. But maybe a scripter could set it up, so players could disable shout chat themselves, leaving it only visible to those who have it enabled.. that way everyone wins?
Per aspera ad astra

jclay65

Unread post by jclay65 »

Planehopper - "I feel like you're trying to dispute my claim?"

What was your first clue Planehopper? Those links you posted are from 2008 and early 2009. Many years? I'm not going to get into a peeing contest with you on this, it just now worth it. Okay.... you don't like the idea. I got it!

Maecius posted this on my previous post. At least I can trust what he says.

I don't foresee us enabling the Shout channel any time soon. That being said, this may have given at least one of our devs an idea. More to come on that if the idea proves feasible!

There has been talk of a town crier system, sounds like a lot of work, seems that it would be easier to do a test run and see what IF ANY problems arise. This server had many ways of enforcing the rules. You have the snitch and there Screen Shots, DM's can warn you if your being a bad boy and even ban those the that are repeat offender's. Seems to work with all the other rules. I see no reason it would work here! I know the last thing DM's want to do is go around smacking the hands of those that won't comply. Buy, I say again, what do you have against giving it a try. There have been a lot of changes since 2008-2009 when the server was still in Bata!

DeathGrowl This is not WOW. I have great respect got for you as a player. Maybe you could help me with my RP sometime.

Winterbone Please no. There isn't a reasonable in character way to casually converse with the entire world at once. (town criers!!)

I have tried the message in the play scry and sending tells to people ( I'm sure the enjoyed that, not to mention is took about an hour and a half just to get 3 people to that want to join. By the way I had a great time, just wish it didn't take so long to get to word out!

I enjoy playing on this server a great deal, I hope to contusion to do so.

This really shouldn't be that hard!!
Last edited by Wyatt on Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited "pissing" to peeing. Warned player.

K'yon Oblodra
Recognized Donor

Unread post by K'yon Oblodra »

Heya jclay,

I feel for you, having an idea and then most people disliking is not a pleasant thing so yea I kinda understand why you're not happy.

I wanted to try and take all you said into consideration, so I will try to ignore the possibilities of abuse and the aspect that long ago the shout was activated and caused trouble cause it has been a long while in between as it seems.

So going by the idea of turning it on so people to be able to easier group up is what I'll go by.

Now just imagine there is this guy looking for a group, so he writes "Hey guys looking for group to hunt lizards" or something similar then a player would answer, "coming" and possibly another would say "On my way.".

They might start discussing wether to go into the mine or not, then a fourth player might join and they would probably begin to think about leaving the area for a better challenge. One might want to go somewhere, the other somewhere else because they have different IC or OOC reasons.

Then at the same time another group might be forming elsewhere, they might already struggle finding each other because the shouts might get mixed up, they might not, but just inside there would be again a couple of people writing maybe just 2 or 3 but still.

In the meantime another group of people that already found itself is trying to RP in witty conversation sprinkling in some emotes to spice up the atmosphere. In a group of people now than 2 this can already get tricky cause sometimes people's words overlap out you wait for the other to finish.

Now all the meantime there are the shouts of let's say only the two groups going on, I think this would already be quite disturbing, if you consider there could also be more people or maybe even a DM involved that might want to use the shout channel I think it is reasonable to believe that it could be a real issue.

Especially on the weekends when the server is fuller I could see more than 2 groups using the shout and there are sometimes quite large groups meeting.

Now the only thing I could come up with to kind of solve the problems would be to use another channel, I don't know if there is another one free like maybe really a trade channel?

If people could turn that off if they wanted to RP it would help with not being disturbed.

I hope this kinda gave you a perspective without any prejudice as I believe my example to be quite realistic and fair.

Cheers K'yon
K'yon Oblodra
Necromancer of the school of Necromancy
Silent seat for the school of Necromancy

Deathgrowl

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

But what do we have Sendings for? And excessively cheap, non-UMD necklaces with many Sendings on? Sword Coast Telecommunication Service.

... Yeah, I hate the trivialising of Sending and Teleport.

Anyways as for the idea itself, I don't actually see the positive. I see the effect, and maybe I even see what you actually argue for in its use, but that's the point too for me. I don't see that as a positive. It feels immersion breaking, more so even than just agreeing with someone on discord or over the forums. Because it happens in-game, right in the chat where RP should be going on.

Someone suggested to make it possible to disable shouts. You already can. But that's not an acceptable solution, because then you'd miss out on DM shouts, and they can often be quite important. Another channel would possibly be OK, as long as it was optional, but I don't think that's possible.

I also understand that this server is vast, and people can sometimes be difficult to run into. I can only suggest my personal preference here: Make Baldur's Gate, the city, an active hub. Lyrewyn did it once, and it worked great. She said on these and these days she'd be in Baldur's Gate open for RP on these and these times. People came by to RP. People who didn't realise Lyrewyn had said this on the forums came by when they saw people on the scry hanging out in large numbers in Baldur's Gate, to find out what was up. And then people met and went on adventures or people stayed and RPed.

That is the best solution, in my view. Create a culture for tavern-style RP, like the classical start of a PnP session, and you'll soon end up finding people who want to adventure with you easily.
I can be reached on discord: Deathgrowl#9782

Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Lieutenant Tialysana of Aglarond and Doron Amar

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna

DM Viper

Unread post by DM Viper »

Opening up shouts to the entire population seems like it would invite abuse, but I like Maecius' idea of localized single-area "shouts".
GMT -5. Evening availability.
"To control the mind by force is like putting a viper in a basket." -Charan Singh