Old pilot project. Gauging interest. NO PROMISES!

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Ghost
DM

Old pilot project. Gauging interest. NO PROMISES!

Unread post by DM Ghost »

Hey, community. Three years ago I attempted something I thought could be fun. Unfortunately due to scheduling and availability it never ended up happening, but I still very much like the idea and I am thinking of attempting it again - though I make no promises at this time!

The idea was this one:
New Adventurer Party - A DM Ghost campaign

To give you a brief summary, the idea is that a group of 4-6 people start level 1 characters that they do not play outside of this campaign for its duration. The campaign is set somewhere outside of the standard server areas (in this case Turmish). Equipment and experience and all will be handled by me, and at the end of the campaign, the characters are free to travel to the Sword Coast with a story to tell from the campaign.

Originally I was planning duration and level wise this to span 10 sessions and characters ending up at level 15 or so. If I try this again, I am likely to scale it down a bit, to be more managable. Perhaps 5 sessions (2-3 hours each), reaching level 10 or so.

So again without making any promises (Don't start sending me characters!), I wanted to gauge the community's interest in something like this. I have the campaign ideas still written down and so I am likely to go with that first, but if it is a success, I am definitely going to run it again, with other themes/alignments and players, and might even consider expanding it back up to a longer duration. But I need to see how successful a pilot is first.
"Without contraries is no progression. Attraction and repulsion, reason and energy, love and hate, are necessary to human existence."
- William Blake
DaloLorn

Re: Old pilot project. Gauging interest. NO PROMISES!

Unread post by DaloLorn »

It's an interesting notion. I am somewhat concerned that I might have too many characters already... but it sounds worth a shot, and your remark about European evenings in the previous thread sounds very promising for my ability to attend (overpopulation and suchlike notwithstanding).

Regarding session count, ending level, etc.: I'm largely indifferent to all of these factors. How could I not be, after spending almost a whole year on a single campaign myself? (... I have got to finish the paperwork for that... :oops:)

My one limiting factor would be that my timeslot constraints have not gotten any more relaxed over the past year, so I'm still locked to "no later than 22:00 Croatian time, on any day". In fact, now that I've graduated, I've gotten less flexible, in that 17-18:00 is the earliest I could reasonably play on a weekday.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Active in Discord.
Notable characters:
  • Shali Menner
  • Caili Wender
  • Berred Notter
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Mainda Fennemen
  • Kana Tannard
Charraj

Unread post by Charraj »

It sounds awesome, but my RL work schedule is too random to definitely commit. I have a character idea in mind though.
Ken - Chauntean retired warrior
Mara - Paladin of Jergal
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit
Samuel - A professional
Rakkhati Ironwood
Charraj Cain - Mystran. Dead.
DM Mister Rogers - It's such a good feeling to know that we're lifelong friends.
PaulImposteur
Retired Staff

Unread post by PaulImposteur »

I dig it, might get some players to step out of their comfort zones and make new toons for the opportunity. New lower level characters always add life to the server!
User Login: Spidertomb
DM Gixustrat
DM

Unread post by DM Gixustrat »

As us DM's never get into sessions ourselves I would love to be involved with the closest I can personally get to a PnP session. Count me in Ghostie.
Loquitur demos mess maet
Ewe
Custom Content

Unread post by Ewe »

Can there be a sign up sheet with different time slots or something? Would this be once a week, month, more often?
Anrilor
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Anrilor »

I would be interested, however only guaranteed availability on Sundays, otherwise my availability rotates
Amora Lininlith: A shadow in the Dark, to protect the light.
Alyssia Leonheart: Favored of Firehair, High Lady of the Halls of Inner Light
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

My husband and I are very interested. He is Khaevil on the forums.

This format was actually how I was introduced to BGTSCC in 2016. We had an adventuring party and it was probably the most I've ever had on this server. Here is the thread we had about it: viewtopic.php?t=51334

Either of us can play what is needed for the party if someone else in the party prefers a specific role.
khaevil

Unread post by khaevil »

I'm certainly interested, just skeptical it's going to happen.

This is the sort of play I engage in, the style of play that normally occurs on this server is of little interest to me.

Typically I find this sort of play on servers that don't allow exceptional races or classes, +1 items are rare and usually the best available, and the highest level PC on the server is around 10.

Those low-level, low-power settings tend to appeal to the sort of players you're looking for. I'm not optimistic many people who are interested in playing low-level PCs are going to be found playing demigods on an epic server.
Hallertau Hersbrucker - traveling bard, seeker of tales
Kurvallaxion Brax - Knight of the Baldur's Gate Thayan Enclave
DM Ghost
DM

I personally at least definitely want to give this a go. This is something I myself would have wanted to be part of as a player if given the opportunity, because it strikes me as such a great way to get into a new character, something I've struggled with a few times over the years.
"Without contraries is no progression. Attraction and repulsion, reason and energy, love and hate, are necessary to human existence."
- William Blake
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

DM Ghost wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:14 pm I personally at least definitely want to give this a go. This is something I myself would have wanted to be part of as a player if given the opportunity, because it strikes me as such a great way to get into a new character, something I've struggled with a few times over the years.
Awesome. I'm looking forward to this. Did you want to pm the players with times for play? Is the basic plot etc inn you're linked post what you'd like us to focus on for alignment and classes ?
DM Ghost
DM

I have some other projects to finish first, but I'll announce when this is ready to get started.
- William Blake
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

You are dangling a big carrot there Mister Ghost!

A level 0 to Level X campaign with a tight group formed through common interest is the foundational D&D experience. Sign me up, please.

It would be the most rewarding experience, imho, if role-play vs mechanics is what drives the Campaign, as in the challenge and the reward comes from the story created, experienced and documented.
BUFF ALL NERFS!! NERF ALL BUFFS!!
NERF THE DMS!! BUFF THE PLAYERS!!
BUFF THE ToT!! NERF AO!!

|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Seafarer, Knight of the Unicorn, Coast Way Adventurers Guild
|> Chezar Blood Eye — Mercenary-adventurer Half-Orc (Level 17, LFG)
DiceyCZ
Quality Control

Unread post by DiceyCZ »

Hmm, I think I would be interested! GMT evening playtime is perfect for me especially for weekdays which I would even prefer I think to weekends since I have PnP then and it would be perfect opportunity to start my new chracter based on my first BGTSCC one (loved her but she's retired and now with Feytouched wanted to give an improved build another try :D) that I have been thinking about for a while, and it would even fit one of the mentioned archetypes as it's bard/warlock full charisma and diplomacy - persuasive and diplomatic with bit of cunning.

Though she was meant to be aasimar, which I guess could be changed to fit better to the setting if needed and I suppose warlock and their pacts might add extra layer of complexity behind the RP if that would be too much hassle.
Niyressa Dawncrow (bio) - Steward, House Aldren
"Magic is Chaos, Art, and Science. It is a curse, a blessing, and progress. It all depends on who uses magic, how they use it, and to what purpose. And magic is everywhere. All around us.”
Jaden

Unread post by Jaden »

I would absolutely do something like this, I have been meaning to get back on the server but keep on not keepin' on. Something like this would keep me going.
John Roland: Wanderer/Ex-Paladin of Torm/ Ex Farmer
Brent Celek: That love able rogue is free alas
Ian Sondurs:Bodyguard for Lord Jan van Edelhof