A few quick random questions

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ouroboros

A few quick random questions

Unread post by Ouroboros »

Should a cleric be able to use the Favored weapon of their deity even if it requires a martial weapon feat? I thought it was like a Dwarf of any class being able to use a Dwarven War Axe.

Is an assassin's first death attack is working even though the sneak attack message is not showing up? I have read about how the first 1d6 is coded differently. I bet it is working just fine.

Can characters under level 10 do a rebuild without xp loss? Does this control for ECL? I thought the dialog stated 50% for all levels, but on the forum it showed a scaled system. I have read about how to wisely do it without bothering DMs. getting a friend to mule, and waiting for a reset if you want to use the same name, etc.

Thanks
Rhifox
Global Admin

Re: A few quick random questions

Unread post by Rhifox »

Ouroboros wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:11 pm Should a cleric be able to use the Favored weapon of their deity even if it requires a martial weapon feat? I thought it was like a Dwarf of any class being able to use a Dwarven War Axe.
Only if they take War domain. Other clerics only get Simple Weapons, even if their deity's favored weapon is Martial or Exotic.
Can characters under level 10 do a rebuild without xp loss? Does this control for ECL? I thought the dialog stated 50% for all levels, but on the forum it showed a scaled system. I have read about how to wisely do it without bothering DMs. getting a friend to mule, and waiting for a reset if you want to use the same name, etc.
Currently we are in a 100% RCR period until the 22nd, so you get full exp no matter what.

Once that ends, yes, characters under level 10 can still get 100% while those over 10 will be scaled up to 50% at 20. Withdrawal is dictated by the actual number of experience points you have, not "level". Ergo if you RCR from a level 10 human into an aasimar, you will probably only be around level 8 or so on the aasimar, as aasimar require more experience points per level than non-ECL races.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Ouroboros

Thanks. 😀
Ouroboros

I am still trying to make a decision about leveling up a character, so I was wondering how much XP will cary over. Some servers no XP carries over, some have no limit; some allow half of the next level. I do not want to force a decision, but I do not want lose any XP I'd a friend wants to play in the interim. Thanks. Sometimes it is nice to continue a gaming night and level up later, rather than in the middle of a dungeon. I bet we have all died doing that before.
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

100% of XP gained after leveling up will carry over if you don't click the level up button, and any amount gained over that level would be affected by death, but dying will not de-level you below your level up.
Ouroboros

Can someone direct me toward crafting information? Does crafting on the server work like the simple method in the computer game? Take Craft Magic Wand feat. Find bone wand. Cast spell on wand.

Do all the crafting feats work in this simple way? I've been to some places where crafting was very complicated.

If you find an item with a cool feature already, keen or 1d4 acid or something, can an enchantment be added to a weapon.

I have not been selling gems. Are any needed for crafting, or should I sell them, maybe keeping some for role playing.

My daughter has a Wizard. Does a Wizard actually need to take scribe scroll feat to add a spell to the spell book.

Thanks
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

Ouroboros wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:54 am If you find an item with a cool feature already, keen or 1d4 acid or something, can an enchantment be added to a weapon.

I have not been selling gems. Are any needed for crafting, or should I sell them, maybe keeping some for role playing.

My daughter has a Wizard. Does a Wizard actually need to take scribe scroll feat to add a spell to the spell book.

Thanks
No permanent enchantments can be added, just temporary things like Greater Magic Weapon.

Only wands/potions can be crafted right now. (And spell scrolls, from blank scrolls.) Some valuable gems (diamond, blue diamond) can be used along with a Dusty Tome to bind a summon.

No, the Scribe Scroll feat is to create a spell out of a blank scroll, not to learn a spell. In BGTSCC, you will learn a spell with 100% success rate from any scroll.
VDub

Unread post by VDub »

Ouroboros wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:54 am My daughter has a Wizard. Does a Wizard actually need to take scribe scroll feat to add a spell to the spell book.

Thanks
There is a "study Spell" feat that will be in your daughter's feat list.

You click on that feat then click on the scroll.

You'll be prompted to cast the scroll.

Once you cast the scroll (I usually cast it on a ring or something in my inventory) You know the spell and it will be listed in your spellbook.
Solomon, Luckbringer of Tymora ~ A copper to the Lady, returns tenfold in gold!!
Dartryn Mallocant, Evoker Mage ~ "Do you have time to talk about magic?"
Traegan Daershun, Archer ~ "Of course I'll help...for a price."
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

You can use the scroll on itself in most cases post study spell feat use.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

That is a smart way to do it, certainly.
Ouroboros

Is there any practical need for a cleric to have a high Charisma? It impacts Turn Undead, I know, but other than that... For a Paladin I get it, with all the feats that use the Charisma modifier.

Thanks
Valefort
Global Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Clerics can go for divine might, divine shield and epic divine might with high CHA and high STR plus just enough WIS to cast spells, it's a very viable route.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Ouroboros wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:14 am Is there any practical need for a cleric to have a high Charisma? It impacts Turn Undead, I know, but other than that... For a Paladin I get it, with all the feats that use the Charisma modifier.
For a turner cleric full charisma can be interesting. Usually I would limit this to builds that are also taking Sun domain and also the Morninglord of Lathander PRC. The Good domain for outsider turning will let you turn demons and devils (and certain polymorphed PCs!!) as easily as undead.

While these kinds of builds will lack DC on their spells, they can more than make up for it by having 20+ uses of Divine Might (CHA to dmg), Divine Shield (CHA to AC), and if you take Hierophant, Advanced Divine Spell Power (CHA to caster level - without the Advanced hierophant feat, Divine Spell Power is capped at a maximum CHA bonus to CL of +4). The latter feat can grant you up to +10 to your cleric caster level, meaning spells last longer and you can get insane SR from the Spell Resistance spell (up to 55 SR).
97.39% of the world doesn't have it.
99.84% survived it.
THINK.

Former Player of
Mae yr Machshikhah
Araphella
Acorn
Schezalle (UD)
Aeili Azenci