PLEASE READ: PVP in front of NPC Guards

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Golem

Re: PLEASE READ: PVP in front of NPC Guards

Unread post by DM Golem »

Guys,

This is not a discussion/suggestion thread. I left it unlocked to allow the answering of any questions only.

If you have suggestions the best place to make them is the relevant forum.

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewforum.php?f=25

Please note these are not new rules, they are longstanding rules that this thread is just reminding the player base of.

Answering Mireigi's question about the underdark. Yes, it applies there, as its for the DMs to decide when the boundary is crossed regarding violence and public order leading to NPC intervention. The same reasoning applies to rough and ready Roaringshore.

Consensual duelling in Sshamath, I will consult with the team on. I suspect these will not be allowed in the streets but might be in School of Mages
Ariella
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ariella »

Two questions.

What about guild area's such as say candlekeep or inside the RH compound, are the guilds related to the area not able to say knock out the npc and throw them out if they refuse to leave, from an IG standpoint i can't speak for candlekeep but the RH has control over the compound grounds by the dukes.

Next is people breaking the law, e.g pick pocketing and so forth. are you just to let them run along, should my paladin be letting him run away or dragging him to the nearest npc on the map.
Atlas

-

Unread post by Atlas »

-
Last edited by Atlas on Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Character Profile and The Battles of Sir Amalric of Germont aka Sir Arkaine Halforken Link:
viewtopic.php?f=153&t=18827&p=836119#p836119
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

So no pvp in patrolled areas aside from outside FAI without dm supervision? Did I get it right?
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
DM Gogo

Unread post by DM Gogo »

V'rass wrote:So no pvp in patrolled areas aside from outside FAI without dm supervision? Did I get it right?
This is pretty much correct, except it's important to note that there are some parts of the FAI where this rule is in effect. Specifically inside the walls of the inn's compound, as well as directly outside the gate where the guards can obviously see you from across the bridge.

I think a good way to think of it is "if there is a guard NPC on your screen that could possibly see you, you are most likely godmodding said NPC if you engage another character in pvp." That being said this is just a guideline, and you're not going to be able to lawyer your way out of a rules infraction by arguing line of sight and angles of perspective and such.

Hope that clarifies!
Retired. If you have any questions or requests, please send them to the DM team, and not this account, as it will not be checked. Stay classy, BGTSCC.
MissEvelyn

Unread post by MissEvelyn »

I, too, am a fan of IC problems being handled IC. There's no reason that someone must be punished OOCly. Yes, it's metagaming the guards (in the sense that they do not respond unless they're DM-controlled). BUT it is still something that is happening IN CHARACTER.

So my suggestion is similar to what has already been beautifully mentioned numerous of times: Make NPC guards hostile to whoever initiated the PvP fight. Arenas are an exception, of course -- and they should have their own area, tbh, to avoid any exploitation and/or glitches.

That, or port them to a cell, like with the brandishing weapons. And take a good hit on their gold (and maybe their exp? Your abilities become a bit rusty after spending tendays in prison).
Velaris
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Velaris »

MissEvelyn wrote:I, too, am a fan of IC problems being handled IC. There's no reason that someone must be punished OOCly. Yes, it's metagaming the guards (in the sense that they do not respond unless they're DM-controlled). BUT it is still something that is happening IN CHARACTER.

So my suggestion is similar to what has already been beautifully mentioned numerous of times: Make NPC guards hostile to whoever initiated the PvP fight. Arenas are an exception, of course -- and they should have their own area, tbh, to avoid any exploitation and/or glitches.

That, or port them to a cell, like with the brandishing weapons. And take a good hit on their gold (and maybe their exp? Your abilities become a bit rusty after spending tendays in prison).
Making NPC guards (on the surface) notify someone to put their weapons away within sight of them is a fantastic idea. That covers the idiots that walk up to town waving a weapon. If they don't notice, they will learn after a quick, painless jail sentence. - problem #1 solved.

Making NPCs hostile toward PvP is more delicate, but I also agree it is a grand idea. This stops clumsy attempts on others, and makes you plan out a killing and bide your time, looking for the right opening (as someone pointed out, plus, if you want your toon to BE an assassin, you should learn how it works and how it doesn't) . - problem # 2 solved

As for the Underdark, someone previously stated within drow cities it's pretty much anything goes until your actions threaten the general order of the town. It's a drow kill drow world after all.
Some people say if you can't do something right, don't do it at all...I say maybe you just need more practice...?

Riven, the wanderer
Stonebar
Retired Staff

Unread post by Stonebar »

Problem with guards attacking the person the threw the first punch, is that's not the same as who started the fight.
Revenark Stonehold Kingswarden of Stonebar. Despite the weight of his vows he will never allow himself to fail his responsibility to family regardless of personal cost[/strike]

Forum name honors the Stonebar alliance. I'm not Stonebar
Storm Munin

Unread post by Storm Munin »

PvP within the server version of Sshamath areas vs a citizen however requiring a DM ruling given the ward spires.
Yes, thinking about harming a citizen are supposed to be painful to lethal as is.
"Drojal zhah obdoluth dorb'd streeak, Lueth dro zhah zhaunau dorb'd ogglin."
"Existence is empty without chaos, Life is boring without enemies." So sayeth Lady Lolth, Queen of Chaos.

PC: Natalya, wandering enchantress.
Ravial

Unread post by Ravial »

Sshamathian wards work like that? Really? Wow. Many drows must feel pain then.
"I sometimes wonder if Ravial is actually rav'ialquessir irl" ~ Colonic 2017

~Viridiana Lydhaer - Retired. Silverymoon!
~Arundae Dyraalis - Retired.
~Amaevael Laelyssil - Retired, Selu'Taar on Evermeet
~Laeria Amarillis - #HideThePainLaeria

Ravial ~ By CommanderKrieg ~
Storm Munin

Unread post by Storm Munin »

Id say it is more likely worse for the nondrow denizens and visitors who are not protected by the ward spires in any way, considering that pretty much only drow from Sshamath have citizenship status.
Leaving a gap for the hosts to do as they pretty much please.
In other words, do anything even a beggared drow asks you to because should you think about defending yourself...

No, I do not like the ward spires since they impact roleplay massively within the city.
"Drojal zhah obdoluth dorb'd streeak, Lueth dro zhah zhaunau dorb'd ogglin."
"Existence is empty without chaos, Life is boring without enemies." So sayeth Lady Lolth, Queen of Chaos.

PC: Natalya, wandering enchantress.

Return to “Archive”