Monthly 100% RCR

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DangerMouse2

Re: Monthly 100% RCR

Unread post by DangerMouse2 »

I like the idea of the nexus NPC that can take away a specified number of experience. That would come in handy for new players like myself who make a lot of mistakes.
Thaelis
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Thaelis »

realayer wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 pm "I feel that investing a long time in my character but resulting in such a little progression amounts to disrespecting players' time."
offended anyone. That is not my intention, and I just want to express my dissatifaction on the slow character progression.
If I do not enjoy playing on this server, I will just leave instead of investing time to comment and make suggestions to improve this server and player experience.
I think it depends on your play-style how fast you progress, but yeah RCR can be a bummer for us slow-levelers; after RCR you have to spend 6 months to get back to your previous level. I feel you! :violin:

The only problem with full RCR is it's pretty immersion-breaking in terms of a well known 30th level Fighter suddenly coming back as a 30th level Archmage the next day with zero RP.
Thalanis Silverleaf - Moon Elf Woodsman Deceased

Aerendyl Dy'ner - Blacksmith and Explorer
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Thaelis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:20 pm I think it depends on your play-style how fast you progress, but yeah RCR can be a bummer for us slow-levelers; after RCR you have to spend 6 months to get back to your previous level. I feel you! :violin:

The only problem with full RCR is it's pretty immersion-breaking in terms of a well known 30th level Fighter suddenly coming back as a 30th level Archmage the next day with zero RP.
This touches on two things I find interesting, first and foremost the fact that the people that suffer the most from current state of RCR, are the real dedicated RPers that take slower to mitigate the RCR loss and they probably more likely to RCR for the sake of a few skill points or a new head, than a complete build overhaul.

Current state of XP gain may seem a bit slow to many people, but is been increased in so many ways that I find it usually just sneaks up on you these days. That being said, it is significantly slowly at the higher levels, which it should be. But to the point of perhaps very repetitive content because the variety of zones and enemies you can engage with is limited in scope really. But then that opens up a whole other topic of RP cliques, adventuring groups, level in party limitations and so on. Ill refrain from that.

But in regards to the full RCR issue of fighters becoming wizards, its always the horror scenario people bring up. But I havent seen it happen yet. I see some significant tweaks to characters at times id question as well, but at the core of it most people can differentiate between adjusting an existing character and concept, or going full reset button. And I think if some one did do the whole switch over, it would have some backlash IC or OOC, perhaps both.
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Tanlaus
Quality Control

Unread post by Tanlaus »

Ithilan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 am
Thaelis wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:20 pm I think it depends on your play-style how fast you progress, but yeah RCR can be a bummer for us slow-levelers; after RCR you have to spend 6 months to get back to your previous level. I feel you! :violin:

This touches on two things I find interesting, first and foremost the fact that the people that suffer the most from current state of RCR, are the real dedicated RPers that take slower to mitigate the RCR loss and they probably more likely to RCR for the sake of a few skill points or a new head, than a complete build overhaul.

Current state of XP gain may seem a bit slow to many people, but is been increased in so many ways that I find it usually just sneaks up on you these days. That being said, it is significantly slowly at the higher levels, which it should be. But to the point of perhaps very repetitive content because the variety of zones and enemies you can engage with is limited in scope really. But then that opens up a whole other topic of RP cliques, adventuring groups, level in party limitations and so on. Ill refrain from that.

But in regards to the full RCR issue of fighters becoming wizards, its always the horror scenario people bring up. But I havent seen it happen yet. I see some significant tweaks to characters at times id question as well, but at the core of it most people can differentiate between adjusting an existing character and concept, or going full reset button. And I think if some one did do the whole switch over, it would have some backlash IC or OOC, perhaps both.
I’m ambivalent about the idea of some periodic 100% RCR, though monthly seems a little crazy. It wouldn’t bother me if we had it, doesn’t bother me that we don’t.

I do 100% agree with your last point though. There is this kind of straw man argument of Thundar the Barbarian suddenly becoming Thundar the wizard, and while I’m not saying it couldn’t or has never happened, every epic level RCR I’ve witnessed so far has been more about tweaking a build that completely throwing it out.

Maybe I’m wrong but I think most people clamoring for a full RCR see end game issues with their builds, either in terms of the 3.5 rule set or server specific implementation, that they’d like to change.

I think the majority of the player base are more attached to the character concepts they’ve created than not. And completely throwing them out is far less prevalent than fixing them.
Valefort
Custom Content

Unread post by Valefort »

Appreciating how far one can go in changing one character before the concept is thrown out is rather difficult.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Valefort wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:13 am Appreciating how far one can go in changing one character before the concept is thrown out is rather difficult.
Some times the character takes its own life. When I started playing my Selunite I had no divine classes at all. RP dictated I changed that eventually. And now she is partially a cleric. Its not always bad Vale.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Ithilan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 am [... the real dedicated RPers ...
I’d be careful about expressing such, turning this into a “us or them” issue.

I imagine that the goal is to make BGTSCC fun and fulfilling for everyone, from Level 1 until 30 and beyond. Which, I will add, isn’t the current state of affairs, unfortunately. And isn’t further helped when some are lumped into criticism for not being “real” or good enough to deserve something.

The entire community of BGTSCC has a responsibility to this, meaning that sometimes We need to change our ways and perceptions to fit the existing paradigm.
|> Jon SmytheChionthar Charter & Seaward Supply Co. — Seafarer, Knight of the Unicorn, Coast Way Adventurers Guild
|> Chezar Bloodeye — Mercenary-adventurer Half-Orc (Level 13, LFG)
Valefort
Custom Content

Unread post by Valefort »

I know it's not always bad, which makes it all the more difficult xD
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 am
Ithilan wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:41 am [... the real dedicated RPers ...
I’d be careful about expressing such, turning this into a “us or them” issue.

I imagine that the goal is to make BGTSCC fun and fulfilling for everyone, from Level 1 until 30 and beyond. Which, I will add, isn’t the current state of affairs, unfortunately. And isn’t further helped when some are lumped into criticism for not being “real” or good enough to deserve something.

The entire community of BGTSCC has a responsibility to this, meaning that sometimes We need to change our ways and perceptions to fit the existing paradigm.
Oh please that was never my intention. Perhaps I shall be more thorough in my explanation then to avoid divisiveness.

"The people who primarily RP and seldom go on adventure, thereby primarily gaining XP via the RP script and seldom if ever, resorting to grinding or killing more than twenty of local wildlife, kobolds, orcs, lizardmen, not to discriminate lizardfolks and otherwise non disclosed XP viable races, as per average adventurers unified yet unwritten code of conduct" then.. are you happy? 0:)

Besides theres about 500 different creeds of players and categories to fit them in, people have very different motivations. Me? I like to dress up a fantasy girl and give her fancy fictive stories. What floats your boat?

Editted disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this post are not meant to incite hate or spiteful campaigns towards XP eligible races of any kind. Like wise if an XP viable race did not get mentioned, it was not an intentional offense or meant to spite or mock, we are firm believers of inclusion among the many personalities that spontaneously spout non sense and come to expression from this obviously mentally unstable poster and will take extra efforts to make sure your less pop cultural phenomenon insert slash here or weeb eligible race, will make the slighted list next time.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
Rhifox
Custom Content

Unread post by Rhifox »

I mean, if we're talking about RP exp, I frankly found it faster and more reliable a way to level than grinding. The buffs to it have made it a very good form of leveling. When I came back to the server, I RCRed two times, down from like 27 to 14. I was up to 30 within two months, mostly from RP exp. So no, people who 'seldom go on adventure', don't take particularly longer to mitigate the loss, unless they are not particularly active (which affects both RP exp and grinding exp). I'd also say that in most cases, it is more in character to lose levels and be weaker after changing things.

The main people 100% RCR benefits is people who don't have enough time to play regularly (whether by social RP or by grinding). Those people are the ones who struggle to mitigate it.

I also honestly can't understand people that RCR for 'mechanical tweaking' for 'optimum power'. For my part RCR has only ever been a tool in more fully realizing my character's concept, not 'buffing' myself. Heck, I've mostly nerfed myself over the times I've RCRed as I've grown more and more comfortable with going for pure RP builds rather than just taking stuff that synergized well. While there were some class changes (mainly, figuring out what secondary class fit the character the most. I've stayed 20+ shaman in all of my builds), for the most part I RCRed over smaller things, like changing spells (the spell changer NPC is a godsend and has cured a large chunk of my reasons for RCRing in the past), or feats or skills, to bring the character more in line to how I view her, along with RP developments.

For me, RCR aids immersion, rather than breaks it. It helps me more fully realize the most appropriate build for a character's concept and RP. I will agree it's problematic seeing people completely change their concept with no RP. Does this happen that often, though? Certainly 100% makes such things worse, which is why I do think 100% RCR should be kept rather rare. I do think people who have been gone for a long time (especially ones that missed the last RCR period that occurred after major mechanical changes) do warrant some consideration for 100% tokens, rather than full 100% RCR periods for everyone.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
zhazz

Unread post by zhazz »

I don't think there's anything wrong with adding a monthly 100% RCR. It does have its uses, particularly in fixing a developed character concept. So how about making it 100% once per month, but the XP can't be used on a different character?
Adrian Baker - An innocent virtuoso (bio | journal)
Relyth Ravan'Thala - Bear of an Elf
Timothy Daleson - Paladin Wand Maker
Duncan Matsirani - A wanderer
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Rhifox wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:38 am I mean, if we're talking about RP exp, I frankly found it faster and more reliable a way to level than grinding. The buffs to it have made it a very good form of leveling. When I came back to the server, I RCRed two times, down from like 27 to 14. I was up to 30 within two months, mostly from RP exp. So no, people who 'seldom go on adventure', don't take particularly longer to mitigate the loss, unless they are not particularly active (which affects both RP exp and grinding exp). I'd also say that in most cases, it is more in character to lose levels and be weaker after changing things.

The main people 100% RCR benefits is people who don't have enough time to play regularly (whether by social RP or by grinding). Those people are the ones who struggle to mitigate it.

I also honestly can't understand people that RCR for 'mechanical tweaking' for 'optimum power'. For my part RCR has only ever been a tool in more fully realizing my character's concept, not 'buffing' myself. Heck, I've mostly nerfed myself over the times I've RCRed as I've grown more and more comfortable with going for pure RP builds rather than just taking stuff that synergized well. While there were some class changes (mainly, figuring out what secondary class fit the character the most. I've stayed 20+ shaman in all of my builds), for the most part I RCRed over smaller things, like changing spells (the spell changer NPC is a godsend and has cured a large chunk of my reasons for RCRing in the past), or feats or skills, to bring the character more in line to how I view her, along with RP developments.

For me, RCR aids immersion, rather than breaks it. It helps me more fully realize the most appropriate build for a character's concept and RP. I will agree it's problematic seeing people completely change their concept with no RP. Does this happen that often, though? Certainly 100% makes such things worse, which is why I do think 100% RCR should be kept rather rare. I do think people who have been gone for a long time (especially ones that missed the last RCR period that occurred after major mechanical changes) do warrant some consideration for 100% tokens, rather than full 100% RCR periods for everyone.

Very spot on post. And you are right, it is the people with less time that suffer the most. Since lets be honest, progression in this game is not particularly fast, even with all the increases we have had over the years. Hence my point about XP almost sneaking up on you these days.

And I also believe you are correct about the tweaks to characters being more in line with RP and the realization of a concept that was aspired for, than power grasping. Its funny how these nerfs some times end up being a buff though, or feels more immersive for your characters intended experience.

At this point im really struggling to see the downside of a more regular RCR window. Not monthly though, but perhaps every third month or so would suffice. The last two times we had free RCR on the server, I missed both times. And it never mattered for me, since ill get back to 30 pretty fast if I do RCR. But the average player with a bit more restriction on time might find that being the factor that kills the game for them.
Shandril Brightmantle
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
Rhifox
Custom Content

Unread post by Rhifox »

If we made a consistent 100% RCR period (which I'm not sure I agree with), I wouldn't go for anything below once-a-year. Monthly or trimonthly would mean no one would ever use the 50%, they'd just wait for the next 100%.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

The 'value' I find in RCR is it has, in the past caused an influx of former players to come back and try things out, some of whom end up sticking around (at least for a time). More players means more opportunities to run in to folks and maybe have some decent RP with them. However, I imagine that the Server split and ability to reintroduce old (and some beloved) area's as well as to further expand the server will likely have a similar result (once it is stable). So for now the focus of resources in my opinion should remain on the split and, once that happens on making it stable. This has a possibility to entice ex-builders to come back with all their creative juices flowing to give us more areas to explore, and more monsters to kill and rob.

Once that is done, we would likely evaluate if there are any changes that are desirable to implement mechanically before considering if/when an RCR period would be opened up. IMO there will never be a monthly 100% RCR and nor should there. It will likely remain as something done only when there is some kind of major mechanical change(s). That said who knows? It's an old game and the thinking often has to change in order to make decisions that reinvigorate the player base. This year the number of folks logging in has been very good, so there isn't (IMO) a great deal of motivation to make any sweeping changes or decisions because, why rock the boat?
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
lum

Unread post by lum »

Before I forget to mention this, I never asked for a monthly 100% rcr myself by the way, a yearly would be great to... yes... reignite some interest, for myself as well as other players a nice thing.

I am amazed how much there has been talked about this now in a short period. The question I wonder about is... who do we really hurt if there'd be a 100% rcr period right now? How bad would it be, and how much damage would it cause to what? And would the downsides counter or even completely sink the benefits from such occassion?

It is indeed after all an old game with people fading.

-Lum
Moire Rouge : 'Coins are flat, and are meant to be piled up.'
Juniper : 'Your local tinkerer!'
Kitty -Less hell, more cat-
Athyna of Apecoe -Titan in progress-
Erickar Avery -More than meets the eye-
& Brendika F., Jyn R., Bash B., Lux, Rift, Jezebeth, Isabel C., Depheant M., Sona K.