1-20 is more funner

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

aaron22
Recognized Donor

1-20 is more funner

Unread post by aaron22 »

this is not a suggestion. nor am i trying to get any big rule changed. just wanted to say and see what other might say about what you think is most fun.

Last night i was exploring on my 30 and it was pretty fun. meeting people. clashing cultures. the regular stuff. then i switched to a level 9 and did pretty much the same thing. but this time the server was 100x more dangerous. the casual encounters, more deadly. this was reflected in the RP and brought me and the person i was playing with's excitement and interest way up. it was naturally more immersive.

I really like leveling and RP from 1-20. so much more than 21-30. and not just because progress is faster either. in the epic levels, what you get in a level up is quite a lot. 1-20 levels may not net you anything more than HD and BAB/CL. Many builds do not see much more than reqs being met. No. its different. i like how the builds evolve. i like how the character evolves. i like the combat. i like how much more vulnerable your character is.

think for a second what the game would be like if progress stopped at 20. now im not proposing that. that ship has long ago sailed. just think how different it would be. killing the FGK. THAT would be quite an accomplishment. shoot. killing the lizard chief would be pretty amazing. group play for epic content would be a must. perhaps even the gold market and item power level would drop. the expected power level of crafted items could be the same between player and admin because the norm of individual item power would be lower due to less top shelf items being put in the market. perhaps guilds would have more leverage since grouping would be required to do quite a lot of content. maybe even perma death would not be such sacralidge since you would not have to do the dredge of leveling 21-30.

a lot of "maybe"s and "could be"s in last part there. what do you think?
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: 1-20 is more funner

Unread post by Steve »

But but but...then I couldn't have my level Epic go pawn a loud mouth lowbie to show them who's BOSS!

/ sarcasm

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Steve wrote:But but but...then I couldn't have my level Epic go pawn a loud mouth lowbie to show them who's BOSS!

/ sarcasm
Lowbies.. what about all the epic vets talking smack?
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Akroma666 wrote:Lowbies.. what about all the epic vets talking smack?
well. if it were a 1-20 world, then they would not exist. :think:
Khar B'ukagaroh
Bob Marley
Akroma666

Unread post by Akroma666 »

Nah, epics has too many cool feats and final tweeks that makes character building fun!
Storm - The Blade Flurry
Druegar Grizzleclaw - The Mountain Ruin Tsar
Akroma Thuul - The Creepy Enchanter
Liliana Duskblade - The B*tch of Bane
Jamie Dawnbringer - The Light in the Darkness
Vogar Eol
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Vogar Eol »

Honestly, I can't stand the slower progression of about 22-30. I like the sense of accomplishment that just doesn't exist in the later grinds. On top of that, it's rare if ever I see anyone in an area any harder than Xvarts, unless it's a Saturday.
Vogar Eol - Dwarf, "I likes pixie wine. It just be hard catching enough pixies to squeeze."

Rashal - Lady's Man, "What do you call a male elf? Pathetic, as it were."
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Lower levels are much more fun.

Once 30 it's game over. (Sure you can try some areas/boss fights now......)
But hey - nothing to fear anymore. Exploring/looting without risk is so boring.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I used to play on an Aussie NWN1 server (City of Melnibone) that used a special quest system to level past 20. Each epic level required the completion of a specific quest, and all of those quests required dedicated teamwork to accomplish. While it was a potentially irritating system for the casual gamer, for those who RP or play frequently in groups it really helped build a sense of accomplishment as those epic levels were incredibly hard to come by and therefore deservedly earned once attained. The highest level character on that server (even after ~5 years of playing there) was about 28 or 29.
Vogar Eol
Recognized Donor

To be clear, I'm completely okay with having "finished" characters who "won the game" by reaching 30. I like to have a half dozen characters so I'm not stuck on some Dour Elf of Shevarash when I feel more like witty gnome comedy. I build characters to suit play style moods. If they hit 30 I'd play the for their personality.

I just haven't had 30 happen yet here due to just how insanely boring post level 20 leveling is. That combined with a lot of mechanical changes leading to RCR means the highest I've ever reached is level 27.

I don't like mindlessly solo grinding at 20-30 exp a kill. I don't like dying and losing thousands of XP. I don't like running the quests once a week. So I switch between characters a lot to find people and prevent boredom. Post 20 leveling royally stinks.
Vogar Eol - Dwarf, "I likes pixie wine. It just be hard catching enough pixies to squeeze."

aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

While changing the server wholly from 1-30 to a 1-20 world is not even realistic as a perspective change. Maybe some of the benefits of it could be created another way.

We keep progress at 30 we set the server to a 40 progression level. It would mean a couple things would have to happen that is very undesirable by the admin.

Item power level would need to increase by 1. This would keep the T4 gear at a norm with end game a rarity. The end game gear would only be available at cr36 areas and above.

When/If crafting comes in, it comes in with a top end of T4 with mats only available for those in the cr 30 areas. Possibly in dungeon quest reward. Creative minds can figure that out.

This would mean area creation would need to occur. That is a further tax on server stability. We are already struggling in this regard. Needing to add more content is fun, but is a lot of work and possibly impossible due to space limitations.

But even with all the negatives. The overall win might be worth it in the bigger picture.

Group play will be not only advantageous, it will be necessary. That could have an effect on building as solo builds would be pushed by group builds for relevance.

Group play supports rp more than anything else this game offers.

No longer will 30 be "I won bgtscc " a later stage that extends the life of 30s will be present.

A lot of players never see dms. Server content is there for everyone all the time

The additional content supports guild membership.

With a new end game gear, crafting T4 is not an issue of item power level anymore. I think both players and admin would be ok with that scenario.
Khar B'ukagaroh
Bob Marley
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Tsidkenu wrote:I used to play on an Aussie NWN1 server (City of Melnibone) that used a special quest system to level past 20. Each epic level required the completion of a specific quest, and all of those quests required dedicated teamwork to accomplish. While it was a potentially irritating system for the casual gamer, for those who RP or play frequently in groups it really helped build a sense of accomplishment as those epic levels were incredibly hard to come by and therefore deservedly earned once attained. The highest level character on that server (even after ~5 years of playing there) was about 28 or 29.
This is interesting! But I imagine NWN1 had a much easier-to-build-with Quest System.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
niapet

Unread post by niapet »

What are you all talking about? I gainef 5 epic levels by accident from RP. I was trying to wait for some folks to catch up and couldn't stop gaining levels.
Elspeth Silverleaf "Is a thing good because the gods say it is so? Or is there objective good in the universe?"
Cherry Thistleknot "Cherry, like the tree, Druids like trees"
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

I can level pretty well and I have never accidentally gotten 200k xp
Khar B'ukagaroh
Bob Marley
Vogar Eol
Recognized Donor

niapet wrote:What are you all talking about? I gainef 5 epic levels by accident from RP. I was trying to wait for some folks to catch up and couldn't stop gaining levels.
It takes character level times one thousand exp (CL * 1000) to increase level for a non-penalized character.

Roleplay experience varies randomly from 40 to 70 exp, and is limited to 1250 experience per reset (last I heard a cap stated). If you are online absolutely constantly, and constantly talking, it is possible to gain levels every certain number of days. However, not everyone is in that situation.

Alternatively, you're referencing DM experience point rewards. Yeah... not everyone gets that attention either. I've noticed over time though that if a person sits in one of the two public areas they get more DM attention. They tend to get more roleplay exp by factor of someone usually being around to emote or chat at, even if the person is AFK laying on a bench and never saw it.

Hawke

Unread post by Hawke »

I think it is more of, "I know where to level between 1-20" rather than it being more fun.

That is the problem I have anyways.

Return to “General Discussion”