Things to do at level 30

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Re: Things to do at level 30

Unread post by Theodore01 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:29 am

Nachti wrote:Just count the xp after 30 and grant a feat when the character would reach lvl 33, 36,39,42,45.

This could be done via character dialogue and the feats limited to whatever.
Just count the xp after 30 and remove a random feat or stat-point when the character would reach lvl 33, 36,39,42,45 because they are getting old.

metaquad4
Quality Control

Unread post by metaquad4 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:49 am

IMO, progression after 30 is only a good idea if quest/DM/RP XP are the only things that count. Not combat XP.

That, or the feats are limited to feats that grant +skills, other skill feats, possibly elemental resistance feats, or language feats.
C'caw!
&
C'caw! Journal

Chultans wonder why things be like they do, but they are.
Young Werther wrote:I think people need to roll with the punches and not take things so seriously maybe.
aplethoraof in game.

V'rass

Unread post by V'rass » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:14 pm

Yeah no... there will be no removing of my feats random or not.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.

NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:16 am

Sun Wukong wrote:It has been a while, actually a rather long while, since I've gotten a character to level 30 on this server. I usually aim towards builds that get their primary perks at low or mid epics. (If not earlier.)

Thus the big question is, what should I do with my epic character that has been freed from the risks of experience loss upon death?

There is not a single bad suggestion you can make! You get more points for absurdity and comedy, even though no one sits on a judge's pedestal. :mrgreen:
In all honesty, you should consider retiring or permakilling it.

All storeis end and so do all the journeys. When you start asking yourself "what should my character do now", it often means your character has run out of juice that was driving it forward. At this point you could either shelve the character and see if you'll renew interests few months later, or try to linger and see if you find something to do.

But in general there's high chance that it is the time to let the character go.

Check character bio, see if there were any major goals the char wanted to achieve, and try to achieve them. Once you succeed or fail, retire and put a big dot at the end of character story.

Retirement events feel deeply satisfying.

aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:22 am

@Neg I agree with most of what you say, but a character bio is typically made at the beginning of the character's existence and may not be a solid reflection of what actually transpires during the time on the server.

I would be curious how far some "goals" made at inception can travel far from what actually became in the development.

Some of you may be right on. I perhaps let the server guide me and react in what I feel natural in my character(s) more than most.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

c2k

Unread post by c2k » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:21 pm

NegInfinity wrote: But in general there's high chance that it is the time to let the character go.

Check character bio, see if there were any major goals the char wanted to achieve, and try to achieve them. Once you succeed or fail, retire and put a big dot at the end of character story.

No one ever really retires a character that gained some traction on this server. Sure they say they are tired of the character, end up getting an event to see that character off. But then, in time, the player regrets the decision and sooner or later the character will come out of retirement, or in the case of permadeath, come back from the dead.(unless there was some DM stipulation involved)

Montleberry

Unread post by Montleberry » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:42 pm

I think some people do occasionally fully retire characters with traction after 30. I did twice so far.

I did what I wanted and felt finished with two main characters, Wendel Ashby, former Guide of Candlekeep and then Nelwynn Burrowes, the self proclaimed Overgnome of the Mystic Blades. Retired and deleted outright never to return with any DM given/event earned items still on them.

I was a good choice both times it made me try other things, meet new characters, need to work towards acquiring loot again.

If you are bored I would consider deleting and moving on to something new as an option, though I would have a new character started first to make sure you have something to move on to.

I think the best thing you can do after 30 is always try to find characters you don't know and meet them. Characters come and go, people too, but as long as you make it a point to always expand your circle of RP there are new stories to hear and new people to hear yours. My current 30 Edmund is still active and I am invested in him far longer past 30 than ever before because he is gregarious and as people he knows drift off he makes new friends and enemies. Wendel stood around his office until his player got bored with him and know I know better.
Wendel Ashby - Sage of Oghma, retired Guide of Candlekeep
Nelwynn Burrowes - Wizard, Warrior and Wit (returned home to Mother)
Edmund Tellerin - Cleric of Chauntea, member of the Elder Circle. Groundskeeper, OSR
Grishka - Mother of Luthic, Zar Ut Khan
Helen Smith - Loremistress of Oghma

Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:45 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Sun Wukong wrote:It has been a while, actually a rather long while, since I've gotten a character to level 30 on this server. I usually aim towards builds that get their primary perks at low or mid epics. (If not earlier.)

Thus the big question is, what should I do with my epic character that has been freed from the risks of experience loss upon death?

There is not a single bad suggestion you can make! You get more points for absurdity and comedy, even though no one sits on a judge's pedestal. :mrgreen:
In all honesty, you should consider retiring or permakilling it.

All storeis end and so do all the journeys. When you start asking yourself "what should my character do now", it often means your character has run out of juice that was driving it forward. At this point you could either shelve the character and see if you'll renew interests few months later, or try to linger and see if you find something to do.

But in general there's high chance that it is the time to let the character go.

Living life and enjoying the fruits of one's deeds/fixing mistakes while achieving those is always a permanent goal and something to do.

@Montleberry:

I still miss Wendel :(.
"The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting place."
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."

aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Montleberry wrote:I think the best thing you can do after 30 is always try to find characters you don't know and meet them. Characters come and go, people too, but as long as you make it a point to always expand your circle of RP there are new stories to hear and new people to hear yours.
Solid advice that I am sure many people could learn to follow. Including myself.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley

Trap

Unread post by Trap » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Always thought it would be cool to raise level cap to 35 or 40 and make it really really hard to level.. that way can always feel good about XP being earned.. But making level 35 or higher practically impossible to achieve etc
Rayden - Warrior of Darkness
Morgana - Probably stole from you

Jereth - Laughing Sick Bastard with a Scythe
Hash - Foreign Merchant
Pisces Moon - Court Wizard of Borath

Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Why not then make Levels 1–29 very hard to level, and from the get go, every bit of XP has a high value?

I feel this thread points out how much emphasis Leveling is put on the Experience of BGTSCC, when right now, there exists all the Tools to emphasize the adventuring story building collaboration between Players-PCs and DMs-NPCs.

If anyone wants to get a taste of what I'm hinting at, give yourself the challenge to only interact with PCs within 2-steps of your Character's Level, and only visit Areas once or twice, while they are in the CR of your Groups' Level. Essentially, play BGTSCC as an Epic Campaign, with hopes some NPC attention comes your way as well.

Then you will see how inflated the Level 30 stage is, in terms of necessity and implied desire.
Balthomer wrote: Steve you are a genius and an RPG hero.
Storybuilding

|> Henryk UrdeSword of Justice
|> Simsae OrcslayerStonesinger of the Telormar Gultor & citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak
|> Preceptor Phasorin ZauPurification through Fire

c2k

Unread post by c2k » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:02 pm

Trap wrote:Always thought it would be cool to raise level cap to 35 or 40 and make it really really hard to level.. that way can always feel good about XP being earned.. But making level 35 or higher practically impossible to achieve etc
That wouldn't be a good idea.

At least 5 people on this server I know would take up that challenge and complete it. And then most people will complain that its too hard and "what did those people in rp and for the server to deserve gaining that high level, it should be me" arguments. Then there will be calls to make that road easier, or calls for more areas to give more exp for those levels. And then after years of complaining and the staff finally caving in, someone will suggest "hey, wouldn't it be great to level past 40?"

Sometimes you just have to be happy with what you got instead of asking for another arms race. ;)

Trap

Unread post by Trap » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:14 pm

Not unless you make it like 20 million so needed to get to next level etc taking years just to get to 32 etc.. my idea was making it impossible to reach a level cap so if you see a level 33 they must of been playing that character non stop for a decade..
Rayden - Warrior of Darkness
Morgana - Probably stole from you

Jereth - Laughing Sick Bastard with a Scythe
Hash - Foreign Merchant
Pisces Moon - Court Wizard of Borath

c2k

Unread post by c2k » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:38 pm

Trap wrote:Not unless you make it like 20 million so needed to get to next level etc taking years just to get to 32 etc.. my idea was making it impossible to reach a level cap so if you see a level 33 they must of been playing that character non stop for a decade..
You truly underestimate the determination of some of this player base. :lol:

DM Ink
Campaign Coordinator

Unread post by DM Ink » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:54 am

For me there has always been something to do after thirty. It’s all about accomplishing what your feats and stats cant.

Build relationships

Start communities

Start a shop

Build a reputation

Become a master at a craft

Take on an apprentice

For me level thirty is usually just the beginning.
“He the forsaken, who speaks in two lies and one truth.. The arrogant..”