lyric thaumaturge

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

ARHicks00

Re: lyric thaumaturge

Unread post by ARHicks00 »

mrm3ntalist wrote:It is very easy to be hit with parry. Unless you have a combination such as high AC, epic dodge and concealment. That is if you are fighting 1v1. If there are more mobs against you, you are going to be thrashed.
I never had that problem with either one. Probably because of high AC and spells.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

I really think

a) you havent tried parry against high level mobs

or

b) there is a different version of parry or the game that you have played.

Parry can block one attack per flurry. That is why you need a combo such as high AC, epic dodge and concealment.

first flurry
1parry 2Epic dodge
second flurry
3parry 4Use high AC concealment to avoid attack
third flurry
5parry 6use high AC concealment to avoid attack

And that is if you are 1v1. Against more mobs you cant parry all of them - just 1.

Like the one before you said, you are better off with high AC. I will go one step further and say that you are better of not using parry at all - period.
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
ARHicks00

mrm3ntalist wrote:I really think

a) you havent tried parry against high level mobs

or

b) there is a different version of parry or the game that you have played.

Parry can block one attack per flurry. That is why you need a combo such as high AC, epic dodge and concealment.

first flurry
1parry 2Epic dodge
second flurry
3parry 4Use high AC concealment to avoid attack
third flurry
5parry 6use high AC concealment to avoid attack

And that is if you are 1v1. Against more mobs you cant parry all of them - just 1.

Like the one before you said, you are better off with high AC. I will go one step further and say that you are better of not using parry at all - period.
Sigh...I think you have the wrong idea. I'm not a tank and spank with parry. (Tank and spank = high defense while being able to do high damage) Just someone who buys time with a combination of spells and AC when I did use parry as a bard. Only my pure fighter and weapon master builds were tank and spank, but I never used parry with them.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Also I forgot to mention parry is a great skill on a bard as I use it to make a bard into a legit tank.
That is after saying that taunt "sucks"

I hope new players dont read this, because they will get the wrong idea about those feats/skills.
Last edited by mrm3ntalist on Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

ARHicks00

mrm3ntalist wrote:
Also I forgot to mention parry is a great skill on a bard as I use it to make a bard into a legit tank.
That is after saying that taunt "sucks"

I hope new players dont read this, because they will get the wrong idea about those feats/skills.
Well, Taunt does suck compared to every other debuff and yeah my bard become a legit tank with a high AC and spells.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

The only use parry has is to activate when you are ethereal/invisble so that you can buff with out autoattacking the enemy and losing invis/ethereal. And you dont need any points in parry to do that.
ARHicks00 wrote:ell, Taunt does suck compared to every other debuff and yeah my bard become a legit tank with a high AC and spells.
:lol: Do you take epic weapon focus on your fighter? Or use Heroism? Or Epic prowness? Taunt does the same. Gives you +2AB for five rounds and you can use it again and again and again. It is a borderline OP feat/skill and there were suggestions to nerf it. You have no idea what you are talking about mate.

ARHicks00

mrm3ntalist wrote:The only use parry has is to activate when you are ethereal/invisble so that you can buff with out autoattacking the enemy and losing invis/ethereal. And you dont need any points in parry to do that.
ARHicks00 wrote:ell, Taunt does suck compared to every other debuff and yeah my bard become a legit tank with a high AC and spells.
:lol: Do you take epic weapon focus on your fighter? Or use Heroism? Or Epic prowness? Taunt does the same. Gives you +2AB for five rounds and you can use it again and again and again. It is a borderline OP feat/skill and there were suggestions to nerf it. You have no idea what you are talking about mate.
Quote, "I used in every server and the campaign mode so I know it increases in range, but it's not all that good because a fighter type can only fight one person at a time. "

Most enemies in this server have HP so it's not going to do me any good since I can only fight one person at a time. This isn't a monthly paid mmorpg and depending on how many rounds it takes. I will have to do it again. Also not good to use it when surrounded by a group of enemy NPCs.

And...

Quote, "If I'm having trouble hitting my enemy, it's my last resort and I know it stacks with other debuffs like Expose Weakness. However, a fighter can get up 50 to 57 AB so it's not hard hit most monsters in this server or others."

To put it simple, to use Taunt against an already easy to hit opponent is no different from buff up a cleric to do a very low level damage. Nothing wrong with buffing up and trashing everything in sight, but it isn't necessary.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

... You can color code it, still what you write doesnt make any sense.

a) If you have the skill open, you can get +2AB. Thats it. Thats all you need to do. You dont have to skip a feat or whatever. Its a bonus +2AB which is always useful

b) AB is never enough, especially if you can get debuffs such as the above. For example
Subtract 30 from your "50 to 57 AB your fighter can get". Thats the AB your sixth attack will have. You still dont need a free +2AB buff?

Peace.
ARHicks00 wrote:To put it simple, to use Taunt against an already easy to hit opponent is no different from buff up a cleric to do a very low level damage. Nothing wrong with buffing up and trashing everything in sight, but it isn't necessary.
:D Of course, if you are fighting goblins, you dont need it. Even the commoner class will do well against those. If you are fighting giants you do need it.

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Party debuff too. That recruit thats 6 levels lower than you in your party will thank you for letting them contribute too.
ARHicks00

mrm3ntalist wrote:... You can color code it, still what you write doesnt make any sense.
Even with a detailed explanation below the quotes?
mrm3ntalist wrote::D Of course, if you are fighting goblins, you dont need it. Even the commoner class will do well against those. If you are fighting giants you do need it.
Okay, you get it. I don't need taunt as I progress through the game. In most servers, depending on how the DM(s) makes the monster, using taunt isn't a good idea if 1) You are surrounded, 2) They do high damage, 3) They have high ABs.

You don't want an AOO going off at the wrong moment. And that's not taken in consideration of any on-hit effect like a vampire on-hit effects. Against one giant I probably would if I have a tough time hitting, but I will not if I'm surrounded.

This is my pure fighter build, but I made adjustments to add in shield bash with a tower shield so the AB will be lower.

http://nwn2db.com/build/?287190
ARHicks00

Tsidkenu wrote:Party debuff too. That recruit thats 6 levels lower than you in your party will thank you for letting them contribute too.
That's a good point.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

ARHicks00 wrote:Okay, you get it. I don't need taunt as I progress through the game. In most servers, depending on how the DM(s) makes the monster, using taunt isn't a good idea if 1) You are surrounded, 2) They do high damage, 3) They have high ABs.

You don't want an AOO going off at the wrong moment. And that's not taken in consideration of any on-hit effect like a vampire on-hit effects. Against one giant I probably would if I have a tough time hitting, but I will not if I'm surrounded.

This is my pure fighter build, but I made adjustments to add in shield bash with a tower shield so the AB will be lower.

http://nwn2db.com/build/?287190
I am telling you again. All the negatives you describe, do not happen. You havent used taunt. Try it and thank me later. I ll make you a video...

mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

You are welcome

( Video quality will improve once the video is fully processed )

ARHicks00

mrm3ntalist wrote:You are welcome

( Video quality will improve once the video is fully processed )

I think you were trying to make a point, but then those giant were already easy enough for to kill and your AC was enough to stall to kill...which proves my point that you didn't really need it.
I am telling you again. All the negatives you describe, do not happen. You havent used taunt. Try it and thank me later. I ll make you a video...

Quote, "I used in every server and the campaign mode so I know it increases in range, but it's not all that good because a fighter type can only fight one person at a time. "

Most enemies in this server have HP so it's not going to do me any good since I can only fight one person at a time. This isn't a monthly paid mmorpg and depending on how many rounds it takes. I will have to do it again. Also not good to use it when surrounded by a group of enemy NPCs.

And...

Quote, "If I'm having trouble hitting my enemy, it's my last resort and I know it stacks with other debuffs like Expose Weakness. However, a fighter can get up 50 to 57 AB so it's not hard hit most monsters in this server or others."

To put it simple, to use Taunt against an already easy to hit opponent is no different from buff up a cleric to do a very low level damage. Nothing wrong with buffing up and trashing everything in sight, but it isn't necessary.

And...

Quote, "Okay, you get it. I don't need taunt as I progress through the game. In most servers, depending on how the DM(s) makes the monster, using taunt isn't a good idea if 1) You are surrounded, 2) They do high damage, 3) They have high ABs.

"

To put it simple, if myself and the enemy are evenly matched, I'd probably use to get the edge. There is no reason to use it, if I can already hit them just fine. However, if the enemy's AB and damage are over my AC and I'm surrounded then nope.

Your situation did not fit the three conditions and it barely got #1.
Last edited by ARHicks00 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

There is no delay in using taunt. Why you compare it with a casting of a spell. Totally different.

Return to “General Discussion”