PvP Near the Friendly Arm Inn

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

yyj
Recognized Donor

Re: PvP Near the Friendly Arm Inn

Unread post by yyj »

I would like to see the FAI invaded and taken over by zhentarim forces and Bentley wearing black. Just saying it would be fun.
Here to help
Sims#4559

Please donate
https://www.americares.org/
DM Golem

Unread post by DM Golem »

Discussions about the power of PCs vs the setting are off topic for this thread, which is notification of a rules clarification. By all means feel free to discuss this - in its proper place, which would probably be a thread in RP tips and tricks. I'll give my view there.

This thread should be used for requests for clarification upon the ruling only.
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

Would PVP on the road near the south and north transitions be acceptable, or is that entire stretch of road off-limits for PVP?
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.
DM Golem

Out of sight of the guards it would be fine.

Be careful that for the purposes of that, the OSR Guards count as "Guards" too
JCVD1

Unread post by JCVD1 »

OSR are police now?
Korchas

Unread post by Korchas »

No, but they are part of the NPCs you are not allowed to godmod.
Elianna Fahrandir - Wandering Knight

Talio - Northern Warrior and Seafarer.

"If in doubt, set on fire!"
JCVD1

Unread post by JCVD1 »

Missing the point.

OSR NPC are not "godmoddable". Would they prevent OSR to fight close to their gates? If not there's another question to ask:

DO the OSR can declare sovereign land whenever it fits them?
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

JCVD1 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 11:39 pm Missing the point.

OSR NPC are not "godmoddable".
NPCs are not soulless entities to be disregarded when a DM is not present. Treat them as if they are able to react to your actions regardless if someone is behind the wheel or not.
Any and every NPC is godmoddable, including NPC's that aren't guards. Engaging in hostile actions in front of an NPC would draw some sort of reaction(be it in self defense, defending an establishment, reporting the incident, or even running away). Treating NPC's as static decorations, just because a DM isn't driving them, is basically godmodding them into a state of inaction.
DM Golem

Snarfy has the right of it.
Xorena

Unread post by Xorena »

I imagine there are also NPCs that are not visible due to engine limitations, especially in a city. Travelers on the road, etc. I could be wrong.
Damienknight
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Damienknight »

I just want to add, even if all the guards are level 3 average joes who cannot take on adventurers, if they get murdered everyone would hear about it. Everyone would spread the word about who did it, and high level law enforcers (Paladins, Rangers, etc) would be sent to hunt the murderer down. Its like the police in real life. They are not immune to being hurt, they cant beat everyone in a 1v1, but they respond with an institutions worth of power against anyone who hurts one of their officers.

If getting hunted to the ends of the earth is the RP you are craving for your character, you need to get with a DM and work it into an event. But otherwise players need to save their peener measuring to non NPC protected areas.
YourMoveHolyMan
Recognized Donor

Unread post by YourMoveHolyMan »

Damienknight wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:19 am I just want to add, even if all the guards are level 3 average joes who cannot take on adventurers, if they get murdered everyone would hear about it. Everyone would spread the word about who did it, and high level law enforcers (Paladins, Rangers, etc) would be sent to hunt the murderer down. Its like the police in real life. They are not immune to being hurt, they cant beat everyone in a 1v1, but they respond with an institutions worth of power against anyone who hurts one of their officers.

If getting hunted to the ends of the earth is the RP you are craving for your character, you need to get with a DM and work it into an event. But otherwise players need to save their peener measuring to non NPC protected areas.
Thank you for your valuable input, the incident in question wasn't near any guards. It was apparently near 'invisible npcs.' Here's a picture for reference.
Hidden: show
Main take-away from this thread? There are four separate threads one should read on the forums before engaging in PVP near the Friendly Arm Inn (This thread, the PVP rules, the IC laws of the FAI, and a separate thread on DM rulings, this last one was the one that 'got me,' I'd read the others). They're fairly convoluted and my advice is just don't do it, its not worth the headache if you're not 100% right.

While there is the option of contacting a DM, and getting them involved in one's RP, this past Sunday there were 80 players on during prime time, and 0 DMs, so I wouldn't recommend aiming for this option either.
Michael Dunn

“There is more than one sort of prison, Captain," Chirrut said. "I sense that you carry yours wherever you go.”
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Nail, head YMHM... This is why I avoid PvP like the plague, there are about a hundred things that can go wrong (including but not limited to being on the wrong map, misinterpretation by the involved parties as to what constitutes an 'out' being given, having other uninvolved parties misinterpreting the occurrence, or simple unwillingness of one or either party to 'lose'). Sure, PvP can be very good when it's "right" but that is so very rare as to not be worth the effort and frustration when it nearly always ends up with headache's.

*goes to hide back in his little bubble of RP that ignores metaplot and guild/faction conflicts.*
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
qwertyh88

Unread post by qwertyh88 »

I appreciate the clarification on the rules.

But the humorous irony, at least to me, that most likely the participants in this thread aren't the one that broke the rules.

While the ones that did probably didn't even read this thread.....
c2k

Unread post by c2k »

I think the Cult of Bhaal should rise up and take over the Friendly Arm Inn again. They can sacrifice that meat puppet Bentley and the region can just be another hunting ground with some player-made campfire that epic levels can use to sell their wares, because they are too lazy to head to Baldur's Gate. That would solve the headache of the FAI as it currently is. :lol: