Loot Changes

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

[DM] Grinning Death
DM

Re: Loot Changes

Unread post by [DM] Grinning Death »

yyj wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:00 pm I think if players are presented with these challenges then maybe we can start coming up with more solutions to situations rather than just seeking to try and do number vs number thing.

Creative solutions like, you would do on a pnp session. Sometimes it's good to have your PC sit down think and analyze situations with others to see different avenues to solve something without having to rely to murder hobo everything.

As yyj knows in my events, if you're not able to think without relying solely on your skills and combat prowess, you're gonna have a bad time .
Blame The Rogue

Unread post by Blame The Rogue »

Blame The Rogue wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:03 pm appreciate the opinion, but peaceful solution isnt always an option
"Before you die, you should know why you lived."
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

There are many aspects of the loot problem that have nothing to do with the loot but more to do with the situation a person is in.

DM events is one aspect of this, its hard to balance a fair fun and challenging encounter when the people involved vary in level/skill/power. Throw something too weak and people will crap on it and get bored, throw something too strong and you have stupid deaths that make no sense.

Another aspect of this is PVP, Few people will pick a fight with others unless they are heavily geared/warded etc.

I could sit here and list all the different problems/ideas that have been bought up over the years again and again until i turn blue in the face and pass out but the reality of it is at this point there is nothing that could be done that will "fix" these problems.

Personally if it were up to me, id wipe the servers and set the max lvl to 20, leave gear as it is and maybe add a crafting system as an option. And i would keep a closer eye on the DM rewards because the power creep on some of those items is ridiculous... the things i have seen given from an event compared to years ago is ridiculous.

But that will never happen so. Keep praying to Tymora for that good drop :)

Edit to Clarify what i mean by Power Creep here is an example.

This is an item i received after a year long campaign back in 2012/2013ish
https://gyazo.com/8dc2febfb6ff87a407c43d5fbe2e8db7

This is an item i got for killing an illithid in a random DM event a couple months ago.
https://gyazo.com/d185320490b98c41e80adebdf68359f6

I dont know if the DM's Rules have changed since i was on the team but there is an insane gap in power there.
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Just so people don't say I only post bad runs

Ran 2x ice worm holes, 3x lizardfolk cave chests and 3 yellow names. Made 8k from selling. I did not track whether mostly it came from yellow names or chests. 3 yellow name encounters (1 on way in, 1 in caves, 1 on way out) feels fairly unusual though, so probably padded profits highly.
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
The Holy trinity: True Resurrection, Greater Restoration and Regenerate.
Azroth

Unread post by Azroth »

I am surprised others are still poking at this, considering how old the thread's origins are...

At any rate, the reality is if you add more loot to the tables you are mostly just decreasing your chances in some regard as you are just adding more items, and chances of that one drop you want get lower and lower.

You could just flood it with more junk to pawn, but is that really necessary? It really is not.

Besides, just make a wizard sort and run around with invisible with haste using knock spells as needed (or multi-class with rogue to get disarm trap and lock pick with your high INT). You can loot relatively fast with that alone. I was doing it over a year ago, and made quite a bit. Ended up spending most of it on scrolls to feed to one of my other characters, but it worked out either way at the time.

So rather than do what I did, just spend it on the gear you can buy from others and or NPC's. :P

Besides... The last thing we need to do is go back to when with some of the zany gear a bit over the top from some DM drops, etc. There was plenty cheating their way through it all in an attempt to compete with others who wanted to PvP each other and more to at least feel like they had a chance.
Discord: Azroth#0780

I am fine with most RP. But will not tolerate the example reasonings of attempting to kill off my PC's out of fear and speculation alone or just because they didn't do nice things to you. Have a valid RP reason. We are adults, let us act like it.
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

Azroth wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:48 am I am surprised others are still poking at this, considering how old the thread's origins are...
It is a bit of a dead horse at this point :lol:
At any rate, the reality is if you add more loot to the tables you are mostly just decreasing your chances in some regard as you are just adding more items, and chances of that one drop you want get lower and lower.

You could just flood it with more junk to pawn, but is that really necessary? It really is not.

Besides, just make a wizard sort and run around with invisible with haste using knock spells as needed (or multi-class with rogue to get disarm trap and lock pick with your high INT). You can loot relatively fast with that alone. I was doing it over a year ago, and made quite a bit.
I don't think the amount of loot is necessarily the issue, so much as having to re-visit areas adnauseam to find something decent is. I can run my high STR ranger through three zones in particular in 30 minutes, fill up nearly an entire inventory bag with loot, and usually make an easy 15 - 20k. I've done this run an obscene amount of times though(probably a hundred?), and have found maybe 2 sets of mithral armor, and 2 half decent weapons. Basically, the more you loot farm, the better your chances, which is no different than before really... the difference is: dungeon variety diminishes exponentially as you gain levels, and once you pass a dungeons CR threshold, there's little to no incentive to ever go back.

I droned on and on about this already, mind you :? but... yeah, I still think the CR's could be tinkered with, because some dungeons have been collecting huge amounts of dust after the changes(... just as I predicted they would). Some notable examples of dungeons you will rarely see anyone in: Cloakwood mines, Minotaur maze, Hagspawn cave, Haunted house, Ant burrows, Goblin mines n. of beregost(questers still go there), Gullykin crypt, Nashkel mines, and Hilltop even... heck, actually it would be easier for me to list the dungeons that are still visited on a semi-regular basis, like sharpteeth caves and lions way gnoll caves. Until they outlive their loot/XP usefulness that is, because once a character hits level 16'ish, their players might as well start pounding out wyverns(the loot drops there are almost as nuts as the XP). From there it's just a matter of group spamming epic zones for treasure, woohoo.