DM Events and new players

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

c2k

Re: DM Events and new players

Unread post by c2k »

Trinket wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:24 pm I hate bringing up discussions on sensitive topics but I'd like to see how everyone else feels about it, and share their own thoughts and experiences.

One thing I've heard a lot of lately is how difficult it is to get involved in DM events as new players, or even to get involved in events when you're not a veteran/long time player on the server.

I've been playing on and off for a little over a year now, and I can count on one hand the amount of times I've been invited to an event, despite many many attempts to get involved ICly. I've immensely enjoyed the little one-off events thrown my way, but I've become conditioned to the idea that I won't be included.

I know it's not always easy to line up your schedule with story lines, but it's difficult to feel connected to the server atmosphere when you feel excluded in events. I imagine it is hard for DMs too when you don't know the commitment of new players or their story, or experience level, and story lines could die on a whim from inactivity.

When I say excluded, I feel that many veteran players are more likely to be leading an event ICly than other players, and the responsibility for navigating a story line falls on them. I've seen cases where the veterans will insert themselves into a story, and knowingly or not - become the leader and the focus for it. It then makes me feel petty for resenting those people for having events when I'm certain it isn't malicious.

A few acquaintances have expressed that it feels like events seem to constantly be catered to veteran players - or those that are heavily integrated into the server. It does often feel like the older players are more likely to have an event or experience dropped into their lap than newer players. That's not to say it never happens, just that it's far less common.

I get that we as players don't get a monopoly on the efforts of the volunteer efforts of DMs, and I'd want to make events for my crew as well, yet it often feels like we're support characters to the veteran 'title'-players.

Do you agree? What advice would you give to new players to get involved in events? Or should there be more opportunity for lesser known players to be the 'front liner' of a DM story?

I'd love to hear what you all think.
This does happen more than it should, but please don't blame the DMs for this, because DMs don't really have control over this most of the time.

Its a community problem, and the community needs to work together so that this occurs less.

On the bright side though, you don't really need events to be someone or something on this server. You can be a legend doing your own thing.
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

In my own personal experience the best RP comes from other players. Dont get me wrong i appreciate everything the DM's do having been one myself i understand how hard and thankless the job can be.

Between players sporadically logging, to the huge variation in levels of a group its a pretty damn hard thing to manage. That being said i prefer to avoid any large DM events or events that end up having too many people simply because too much gets lost in the chaos.. Everyone wants to be in the spotlight at events, leading the charge etc or subtly steering things their way and it can all get very messy very quickly.

Its very easy to become forgotten in a sea of voices all vying for attention.
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
yyj

Unread post by yyj »

It's players who keep other players out of DM events not DMs.

Return to “General Discussion”