Give life back to bgtscc

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

c2k

Re: Give life back to bgtscc

Unread post by c2k »

Azroth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:18 pm
c2k wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am There are a few people on this server that see the Matrix and can solo the what many consider "not solo content". It just takes a lot of effort and work to run all those numbers, and I think most people here enjoy interaction more, whether from DMs or players.
There are some decent players across nwn2 that have an advanced understanding with mechanics of some level above the average, yes. But the average players perhaps even with an over-the-top build, may not be able to solo some of these better than those more skilled. It just helps with the right build.
That is perfectly fine, because I don't believe a majority of server cares if they can solo ALL of the content or not. They will just party up with their friends or guild and smash it faster than a solo runner.
Azroth

Unread post by Azroth »

c2k wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:15 pm That is perfectly fine, because I don't believe a majority of server cares if they can solo ALL of the content or not. They will just party up with their friends or guild and smash it faster than a solo runner.
Never said I was complaining by any means on this as I know that myself, I was merely stating facts to bring to the topic. I honestly didn't expect someone to quote me and make a reaction, tbh.
Discord: Azroth#0780

I am fine with most RP. But will not tolerate the example reasonings of attempting to kill off my PC's out of fear and speculation alone or just because they didn't do nice things to you. Have a valid RP reason. We are adults, let us act like it.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

c2k wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:15 pm
Azroth wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 5:18 pm
c2k wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am There are a few people on this server that see the Matrix and can solo the what many consider "not solo content". It just takes a lot of effort and work to run all those numbers, and I think most people here enjoy interaction more, whether from DMs or players.
There are some decent players across nwn2 that have an advanced understanding with mechanics of some level above the average, yes. But the average players perhaps even with an over-the-top build, may not be able to solo some of these better than those more skilled. It just helps with the right build.
That is perfectly fine, because I don't believe a majority of server cares if they can solo ALL of the content or not. They will just party up with their friends or guild and smash it faster than a solo runner.
Issue is, recent loot changes have made the ability to solo practically mandatory.

Some of us play when there's barely anyone on. Or get the urge to get some loot when there's like (at time of posting) 10 players on the server. 10 players that could be incompatible in level range, alignment, ideology or simply lack synergy with your build or playstyle (rushing thru dungeon vs RPing your way through it).

But, the areas that drop loot have been severely limited for level 30 PCs. There's a few areas you can get loot somewhat easily (lizard cave, reaching woods outdoors), but the rest require fairly optimized builds to pull off solo.

I can solo a number of cr 27 areas and bosses, and I hate being forced to go to such places if I want more chests than the few found in the lizard cave. I hate that what was supposed to be a build with stupid amount of tankiness (hello 60 1v1 AC with 0 buffs) somehow became a must have as common enemies (not bosses!) are able to reach 37 or even 42 AB!
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
The Holy trinity: True Resurrection, Greater Restoration and Regenerate.
c2k

Unread post by c2k »

Even before the loot changes, I rarely found anything good off of loot drops. Sure, every so often you get an item that is incredible. Truth is, you can do just fine buying the gear from the merchants; you only need to do gold runs. Get items that max out the asking price of the merchant, and buy the epic gear. It seems hard to do, but it actually isn't.

Now if you want to take into account grandfathered items as the "best gear", that is tricky because those items tend to be held on to or sold for an insane price.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

c2k wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:51 am Even before the loot changes, I rarely found anything good off of loot drops. Sure, every so often you get an item that is incredible. Truth is, you can do just fine buying the gear from the merchants; you only need to do gold runs. Get items that max out the asking price of the merchant, and buy the epic gear. It seems hard to do, but it actually isn't.

Now if you want to take into account grandfathered items as the "best gear", that is tricky because those items tend to be held on to or sold for an insane price.
Still, before loot changes you could say...

Run haunted house, ogre and troll caves.

3 areas anyone can solo at 30.
"The wind and the waves are always on the side of the ablest navigator."
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
The Holy trinity: True Resurrection, Greater Restoration and Regenerate.
JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

I personally would rather see less areas able to be soloed. I think it would help with immersion, and bring some continuity between DM ran events and dungeons. "Oh, I can kill a black dragon by myself; I can head into the Frost Giant cavern and kill an entire army, then their king. However, this one troll gave me issues and killed 4 of us."

Now, don't get me wrong. I am not complaining. And I do solo the content that I can, purely for gathering some gold when I'm bored. But that's something I never build into my builds. "Can I solo x?" There was a time I used to do that on this server. I made a 10 wiz / 10 dragon slayer / 10 Eldritch Knight, STR based Gish. I eventually RCRd him into a pure caster, because to me, it got so boring. I could literally solo any content other than Icehaup. And do it easily without fear of death. Even had a DM throw a mob at him in an event that was supposed to be his match, and my gish wrecked the mob to the surprise of the DM. To me, that gets old after a while.

That's why I prefer RP builds. Sure, I throw in enough mechanical power to be viable. But for me, it's RP first and foremost, and I'll even nerf my own toon if I think they are too powerful. A good for instance is my dragon druid cannot solo the Frost Giant king. He can solo the Yuan-Ti, but I have to be careful, and the fight with the queen is a close call. He can't even come close to soloing Choas in the Haunted House. And I prefer it this way.
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

The server population seems fairly steady. Nowhere as high as it once was. Two important factors I can think of. The steady release of content by volunteers has vastly improved the server helping retain and draw in new players (occasionally). The removal of this game from steam years ago killed the flow of new players.

If you want to "give life back" to bgtscc the first thing to consider is that it isn't dead. Secondly consider how to get it back on steam.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown