Warlock build for my son

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ouroboros

Warlock build for my son

Unread post by Ouroboros »

Been playing NWN2 since 2006 but have never played a Warlock. Well, I made recently one for my son on the last dead server I abandoned before coming here, but let us not count that, for I remain ignorant, even after reading thread after thread. And it is a good character for him, simple to play when we have gaming nights. This is not for PVP or to clear the maps at epic levels. But I want him to be fun to play and an addition to a adventuring party.

I need to get a handle on the Dex, Con, Cha thing.

1. Dexterity does not need to be pumped up because that spells hit fairly well. So 14? 16?

2. Charisma confuses me. I have read that blasters do not need it but that 14 is needed to gain access to all of the spells.

3. If Hellfire is not an option because he is Chaotic Neutral, is con as important, other than adding to HP? So 14? 16?

I have read the all of nothing approach, making me think a balanced Warlock that can blast and summon is not ideal.

So how about a mostly blaster that can have fun with the charming, etc.

STR 12
Int 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Wis 10
Cha 14

And with a balanced character, perhaps above, where should points go when leveling up? Charisma, Constitution? With other classes, the choice is obvious, but not for me with a Warlock.

I was going to make a Rogue/Warlock/Hellfire Warlock but I missed the "Has to be evil" thing. It is not listed in the Custom Changes her on the forum. I noticed it in game double checking the requirements at a level up. He is Chaotic Neutral, and I want to keep him that way.

So I like the idea of a Rogue/Warlock or Warlock/Shadow Dancer or Rogue/Warlock/Shadow Dancer for him. He likes to open chests and run from battles. And he likes to attack from a distance, not be up front. But is having two other classes at level 3 by level 20 too great of a cost in terms of diminishing the Warlock abilities and strength? It kind of seems that way, so Rogue/Warlock/Shadow Dancer seems a little dumb.

If I go Rogue/Warlock then HIPS is ruled out, but it would be a clean build and very versatile. This is where I was leaning, but adding a prestige class seems fun.

If I just go Warlock/Shadow Dancer, the rogue skills would be lacking, and the feats to get SD always come at a cost.

He is 17, but he will try to play this character like a Diablo II or Titan Quest Wizard.

Thanks
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Warlock build for my son

Unread post by Steve »

Hello,
If you make a max CHA Warlock, you can actually Dominate up-to-Epic-Area mobs, and unleash them upon your foes under Greater Invisibility. A max CHA warlock can also utilize to great effect Eldritch Spear + Noxious Blast and "stun" your opponents, which is great fun for when playing in a Group. CHA effects the DCs of your Save-based blasts.

Warlock/Shadowdancer is great because no mobs will ever touch your PC. The Character just blasts from a distance, then HiPS, relocate, blast away again. Warlock 24 / Rogue 3 / SD 3 isn't really that bad, but you have to get DEX to 19, so you cannot max CHA.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

Take a look at these PRCs, as they bring some flavor to warlocks.

Feytouched https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Feytouched

Dagger Spell Mage fits well with a rogue dip. https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title ... spell_Mage

Having just tried a 38 CHA warlock(30). So far i can say - damage is very low, in high epic areas his invocation debuffs trigger way to seldom for my liking and most epic bosses have still higher saves than my DC. :hand:
Blaze

Unread post by Blaze »

I RCRed my warlock 5 times and the best builds in my opinion are.

Warlock27/Dragonslayer3
Max CON, medium Dex (20 total), focus on damage and AC (mithril breastplate+small shield with ASF and +3 shield AC rapier).

Warlock 17/10 Dssp/3 Guild Thief
Max CON and focus on damage (Epic eldritch blast), less AC compared to warlock DS but damage is way Better

Hellfire Conlock 27 warlock/3 Hellfire warlock, top damage but if you are not skilled do not play It.

Sneakylock, 27 warlock 3 Shadowdancer, DEX based.
Hips, greater invis and otherwordly leap, one of the best PvPlock build.

Controllock, 30 warlock (human). Low damage, low AC, top DC in PvE but you cannot solo bosses. Noxious + Eldritch Doom is reeeeeeally fun, you can pick Blackguard but it's not mandatory. (Power Attack + cleave is pretty bad in my opinion)

AClock, 24 warlock/3 monk/3 Fist of the Forest.
Dex to AC, Wis to AC, Con to AC, owl insight elixir + turt shell, uncanny dodge thanks to FotF, speed boost thanks to monk, Dash, blindfight. Yes, it's a solid build in my opinion even if your damage is not the best (17d6 eldritch blast).

Meleelock, not worth it, low ab, AC is not the best, damage is not the best, impossible to make a CL 30 nonWoC build, WoC looks great but it's not without guttural, It means no wands, no potuto, no elixirs, no healing kits. Unlock eldritch knight for warlocks and maybe it's viable, in addition to dragonslayer but ATM, no thanks.

The funnies build? Daggerlock, lot of skillpoints and utility, 10% rep against the OP prices for lowbies, really good damage, AC isn't that bad. You can build it around CON or DEX, that's your choice.

Enjoy
FallingStar

Unread post by FallingStar »

The controllock: I would suggest a 3-blackguard dip. You lose some DC and raw firepower, but nab Divine Shield, pop it in a pinch, and suddenly you're a tank. It solves the AC issue. 8-)
Justicia ex umbra.
Ouroboros

For a Dex based Warlock, 27 warlock 3 Shadowdancer, or a version with 3 Rogue as well, do I need to have Charisma at 14 or higher, or can or should it be at 10. I have read to dump it, but I have also read that 14 is needed to have access to all of the spells.
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

No need for CHA at all, leave it at 8. Unless you are a DC lock or something between.
Blaze

Unread post by Blaze »

13 str
Max dex
13 con
14 int
8 wis
8 cha

+3 items are cheap, that's why 13 or 15 are the best stats
Ouroboros

So is it incorrect that a 14 Cha is needed to open up all the spells?

What is lost having Cha at 8 or 10?
vs.
What is gained by maxing dex?

Is there a balanced build? And because of the polarity in advise everywhere, balance must be ineffective compared to the extreme builds, blaster vs. Controller.

How rare or expensive are +4 items? As a habit I have tried to round things off, not knowing what is out there, and =4 complements that. But if this is a +3 type world, then that is different.

Thanks
Blaze

Unread post by Blaze »

+4 stat items? Not worth the pain and gold waste.

Belt of growth +3 str +3 con (super useful)

+4 AC items are cheap (not the Epic Ninja set, if you are going for the sneakylook build, full ninja set+greater piwafi is what do you need)

+4 DEX -----> leaps and bounds

Again, 14 charisma is not needed, max dex for AC and RTA ab, dex also increase your Hide/MS mod in addition to reflex and evasion.

Are you looking for a balanced build? Tank conlock or hybrid sneakyconlock (19 dex for 3 Shadowdancer levels, rest con for fortitude and HP boost).

In my opinion, 27 warlock 3 Blackguard is solid but not the best, 24 warlock 3 Blackguard 3 Hellfire warlock is waaaay better.
Ouroboros

Theodore01 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:04 am No need for CHA at all, leave it at 8. Unless you are a DC lock or something between.
When people write that Charisma of 14 is needed to open up all the spells, is that true?

I am going to do a rebuild for him, anyway, and having an 8 or 10 Charisma is fine, if charisma is not needed. I currently have wasted skill points in Intimidate moving toward Hellfire, but he is not evil, so... a waste of skill points. And I will be able to help him better with a Dex build, anyway.

But I would like to know why someone wrote that 14 is needed and what it means. I have played a ranger before with a 12 Wisdom, not caring about 3rd and 4th level spells. Bit it sounds like this is different.

What does the 14 do? Nothing if the build is primarily a Dex blaster?

And if he was primarily a blaster, would a Charisma of 11 be worth anything, that could easily be upped to 14 with a +3 item?
Blaze

Unread post by Blaze »

Charisma 11 and +3 charisma item for RP, Galliard is not a PB but his damage, ac, skillpoints and hp/saves are pretty fine even with RP skills and stats.

If you are looking for a minmaxed build, drop intimidate and charisma to 8
Ouroboros

How high should I plan to push up concentration, or should it just always be increased?

Same with Dexterity--at what number should I switch to Constitution? What Dexterity bonus creates a super good ranged touch attack?

I know there are many ways do to it, but I am interested in your thoughts and opinions.

Thanks
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

If you want a blaster warlock (the one who shoots his blasts instead of going melee), you want concentration maxed.
As of dexterity, i recommend stopping at 14 or 16 dex so you either ise mithral fullplate or mithral breastplate (with Leaps and bounds or +4 dex item).

As of ranged touch attack, you don't need to worry about it at all. 95% of BG mobs have very low AC, so you are unlikely to miss even if you have 8 dex.
gedweyignasia
Custom Content

Unread post by gedweyignasia »

You can find a lot of example builds discussed in detail here.

Return to “General Discussion”