Stoneskin and Premonition

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ouroboros

Stoneskin and Premonition

Unread post by Ouroboros »

Really this is about any two damage reduction spells. If two are cast, which one will obsorb damage first? Or can only one be cast at a time? I bet there are a lot of variables here. Thanks
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Re: Stoneskin and Premonition

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

IIRC, premonition comes first or actually overwrites stoneskin. They definitely do not stack.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

EasternCheesE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:26 pm IIRC, premonition comes first or actually overwrites stoneskin. They definitely do not stack.
I took a peek inside the scripts, because I remembered some funny business surrounding the stacking behaviors of ablative DR spells over in NWN1.

The answer is a bit more complicated:
  • Shades/Premonition deletes Shades/Premonition, effectively restoring it to full "HP". While active, it takes precedence over the Stoneskin family.
  • Greater Stoneskin deletes Greater Stoneskin (see above remark). While active, it takes precedence over Stoneskin.
  • Stoneskin deletes Stoneskin.
In theory, this means you can get up to 600 HP's worth of ablative DR/adamantine (300/30, 200/20, and 100/10) by casting all three spells on yourself.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

DaloLorn wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:52 am
EasternCheesE wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:26 pm IIRC, premonition comes first or actually overwrites stoneskin. They definitely do not stack.
I took a peek inside the scripts, because I remembered some funny business surrounding the stacking behaviors of ablative DR spells over in NWN1.

The answer is a bit more complicated:
  • Shades/Premonition deletes Shades/Premonition, effectively restoring it to full "HP". While active, it takes precedence over the Stoneskin family.
  • Greater Stoneskin deletes Greater Stoneskin (see above remark). While active, it takes precedence over Stoneskin.
  • Stoneskin deletes Stoneskin.
In theory, this means you can get up to 600 HP's worth of ablative DR/adamantine (300/30, 200/20, and 100/10) by casting all three spells on yourself.
Aside from that, they all offer same effect type and engine can cancel effects (not sure if it does/doesn't). Only practical testing can tell how it works, but that's a sort of thing that any CL 30 arcane caster can test, honestly.
Ouroboros

Unread post by Ouroboros »

Great answers, thanks. If you have two or three cast and they get dispelled, then it would make sense to cast them one at a time to avoid that. But for the heavy hitters, this might be nice to try if the duration is long enough.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

I do not believe the effects stack concurrently, but rather consecutively. That is, you won't be walking around with 600/60 DR.

Premonition must discharge before Greater Stoneskin will take effect, and likewise G. Stoneskin must discharge before Stoneskin will commence its protection.

So a level 30 caster could absorb 300 damage at 30/adam, then 200 damage at 20/adam, then 100 damage at 10/adam. 600 damage absorbed in total. I think that's how it worked... been a while.
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Unread post by DaloLorn »

Tsidkenu wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:58 pm I do not believe the effects stack concurrently, but rather consecutively. That is, you won't be walking around with 600/60 DR.

Premonition must discharge before Greater Stoneskin will take effect, and likewise G. Stoneskin must discharge before Stoneskin will commence its protection.

So a level 30 caster could absorb 300 damage at 30/adam, then 200 damage at 20/adam, then 100 damage at 10/adam. 600 damage absorbed in total. I think that's how it worked... been a while.
That is correct, yes. Hence the "while active, X takes precedence over Y" in my previous post.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk

Return to “General Discussion”