"Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise" in a world without clocks

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

"Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise" in a world without clocks

Unread post by Flatted Fifth »

If you've been wondering how to describe 2-dimensional rotary motion without referring to clocks (like, lets explore these woods in a clockwise spiral), try "sunwise" for clockwise and "widdershin" for counter-clockwise.

Sunwise: the direction of the sun's movement if you're in the northern hemisphere facing south and observing the sun's passage from east to west, so the same as clockwise

Widdershins: an old word meaning "against the way", it is the opposite of sunwise and is considered sinister or unlucky.
Last edited by Flatted Fifth on Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ewe

Re: "Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise" in a world without clocks

Unread post by Ewe »

I found some stuff about Ed Greenwood talking about clocks here:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-watches-or ... en-realms/

Does this mean maybe in a couple years we will have clocks?
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

Ewe wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:41 pm I found some stuff about Ed Greenwood talking about clocks here:

https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-watches-or ... en-realms/

Does this mean maybe in a couple years we will have clocks?
I hope so. It would make IC meetings a little less OOC. Plus I just love the sound of clocktowers striking the hour. It would be a nice atmospheric sound addition in the Gate, maybe the Palace District.
whatsittoya

Unread post by whatsittoya »

We have sundials and they might do either way.
Gemma, Dawnbringer
Sigrid, Bear Warrior
Kamila, Circus Performer
Grimhilda, Sea Witch
Geir, Man-Hunter
Astrid, SorcerICE
JustAnotherGuy

Unread post by JustAnotherGuy »

This post caused some curiosity in me, and I did some digging. Near as I can tell, the actual word clock was first used in the 14th century (roughly around the the time period we are in on the server). It originates from the French word for "Bell". As in the hour-bell a city crier might ring.

When the Egyptians made the sundial, they called it a word that translates to "Shadow clock", but that's a hindsight etymology.

After looking into it, it's my opinion that using the words "Clockwise" or "Counter (anti) Clockwise" doesn't exactly fit within our setting. But also, it's one of the very, very minor inconsistencies compared to some other, much more grievous examples of anachronisms in speech on the server. It's not going to bother me if people use clockwise or counterclockwise, and I would not argue with them if they wanted to defend their position by calling a sundial a clock, and so clockwise would be the path that the shadow passes on the dial. But I'm also not likely to use the terms myself.
"Now this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die."
- Rudyard Kipling
Flatted Fifth
Recognized Donor

JustAnotherGuy wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 am This post caused some curiosity in me, and I did some digging. Near as I can tell, the actual word clock was first used in the 14th century (roughly around the the time period we are in on the server). It originates from the French word for "Bell". As in the hour-bell a city crier might ring.

When the Egyptians made the sundial, they called it a word that translates to "Shadow clock", but that's a hindsight etymology.

After looking into it, it's my opinion that using the words "Clockwise" or "Counter (anti) Clockwise" doesn't exactly fit within our setting. But also, it's one of the very, very minor inconsistencies compared to some other, much more grievous examples of anachronisms in speech on the server. It's not going to bother me if people use clockwise or counterclockwise, and I would not argue with them if they wanted to defend their position by calling a sundial a clock, and so clockwise would be the path that the shadow passes on the dial. But I'm also not likely to use the terms myself.
Yeah, it doesn't bother me when people say clockwise or counter-clockwise. Not at all. This is just a teensy nugget for anyone who might be interested. Since "sunwise" specifically refers to the appearance of Earth's sun's movement caused by the direction of Earth's movement and as seen from Earth's northern hemisphere and "widdershins" is an old Germanic word, they don't fit the setting either. Just seem less anachronistic.
Antras89
Custom Content

Unread post by Antras89 »

not a Neverwinter city was famous from made pocket's clocks?

Also, we still have "sun clocks" so "Clockwise" and "Anti-clockwise" make sense
Maraav Deinir, Archmage from Halruaa bio : viewtopic.php?f=153&t=78256&p=942751#p942751
Leader of Mage guild : viewtopic.php?f=16&t=78295&p=943013#p943013
DM Ink

Unread post by DM Ink »

Call it Cog-wise!
DM Ink
“Kindly let me help you or you will drown,” said the monkey putting the fish safely up a tree.
-Alan Watts

Return to “General Discussion”