Eldritch Chain vs. Eldritch Doom

For Issues, Ideas, or Subjects That Do Not Fit Elsewhere

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Ouroboros

Eldritch Chain vs. Eldritch Doom

Unread post by Ouroboros »

I searched for a discussion about this comparison, but I rolled a 1 on my search. :?

I have read that some people drop Eldritch Chain when Eldritch Doom becomes available. Is it worth it for a blaster? Is Eldritch Doom just as good or better for an area effect spell? Rather, is it worth sacrificing it for a different Dark?

And there was a post about an Eldritch Doom bug after one of the summer updates. Has that been resolved?

While I am here asking about Warlocks, I am curious about adding an epic feat. This character already has Eldritch Master. Hellball looks powerful, but that is not available yet. Compared to the other epic spells, adding a greater evocation, or even a lesser, as a feat seems smarter. Any thoughts on this? You can only cast the epic spells once before resting, is this correct?

Thanks
metaquad4

Re: Eldritch Chain vs. Eldritch Doom

Unread post by metaquad4 »

Doom is good if you go heavy into CHA. Chain is good otherwise.

Doom requires a reflex save. Chain requires a touch attack.

It isn't so cut and dry though. You can forgo Doom even as a CHA warlock. It all depends on what you want for your personal setup, what dark invocations you want, etc.

Essentially - up to you. I just wouldn't recommend Doom unless your DCs are super solid.
aka aplethoraof

2010 - 2023 (on permanent? leave)
Playing Arelith/NWN1 now. Still on discord (aplethoraof on discord).
Kitunenotsume

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

also worth noting: as of some time last year, Eldrich Doom is fairly unique among AoE reflex spells in that it bypasses Evasion/Imp Evasion. This can make them reliable damage in many situations, but your target can still save half.
See: viewtopic.php?p=935543#p935543

Chain, on the other hand, will halt if you miss a target, but with RTAs that is fairly improbable.

You also have a difference in target count - Chain goes up to 6 targets with 5 of them taking half damage, Doom can hit everything in a circle with everyone taking full damage with save half.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming »

I went Eldritch Doom over Chain because of the evasion bypass. My DCs are definitely not the best, but a Noxious Blast/Bewitching Blast Doom is still a great crowd control option. Mobs can roll 1 too after all ;).
Ouroboros

Unread post by Ouroboros »

This is not a charisma-based warlock, so very little help there, meaning the Eldritch Doom may not be too much of an advantage. Maybe a couple charisma bonuses with a +3 item.

Return to “General Discussion”