Duster47's Screen Shots

Community Screenshots, Artwork, and Talent on Display

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Duster47
Area Designer

Re: Duster47's Screen Shots

Unread post by Duster47 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Some persons may or not have noticed my continued absence. Starting around mid-May, my RL got really busy.

Concerts.
Hidden: show
Journey in Tampa
Trips.
Cruising to Bahamas
Work got crazy.

Then I decided I need to spend more time in a different Toolset.
Where I completed this project most recently.
Placeables
Arranging parts and adding weathering.
The underside.
Project complete and submitted for evaluation.
Collecting reward for about 60 hours spent on this project.
This is my first Silver Medal for an armored vehicle using the points-earned system.
Other side.
It is a WW2 German Sd.Kfz.142/1 StuG-IIIG w/ 75mm gun, circa spring 1944, Eastern Front, with 24th Panzer Division. I started making a little muddy terrain base for it.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:12 pm

can't view any of the images D47...
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Duster47
Area Designer

Unread post by Duster47 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:26 am

To be continued in next post...

This other Toolset and I go way back. Some other previous projects.
Aircraft are all 1/48 scale. Others as noted.
Star Seige figures. Bronze. Tiny scale, about 50 mm tall.

WW2 USA M4A3(105) burrowing through a hedgerow in summer 1944, France. Earned Bronze for this diorama. 1/35.

USAF T28D 1966 Vietnam War. Earned Silver.

Su-7MBK, Egyptian AF, circa early 1970's.
Got lucky that year. Old judging system really tough, Olympic-style (1st, 2nd, 3rd and rest go home frustrated). Newer points-judging allows each work to stand on its own against the scale.

WW2 IJN A6M2 "Rufe", circa 1942. Earned Silver.

My 2015 entries. WW2 German BF-109-E4 and IJN Kumatsu G40, both 1/48.

More recently, I dragged out a car. Shiny paint is a real PITA to finish.
But, this happened two weeks ago: Hurricane Matthew

Which caused stuff like this:
My back yard...

FWIW, we got off really lucky here around Cape Canaveral. Heading north from around St. Augustine all the way into Carolina's is a massive mess. My parents' shared this photo from their backyard in Savannah, GA.

Anyway, my currently most-used Toolset are these.
Mitigating the mess is now requiring substantial attention during now-limited daylight.
So, yes. I am sort of busy ATM. :?
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.

Valefort
Lead Programmer

Unread post by Valefort » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:09 am

Such beautiful roots :?
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler

RamenKing
Recognized Donor

Unread post by RamenKing » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:37 am

I love Journey! It's such a good concert!

Also, get the Elder Circle on that yard ;)

Duster47
Area Designer

Unread post by Duster47 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:26 pm

I put aside some of my stay-cation week to dive into the Toolset. A little fun from local testing.
The true leader consults in secret with her manly men.
*For those who don't know who this is, she is a local testing version of my Nerys of the Greyfox Tribe who are currently IC-wise camped near Secomber.

Duster47
Area Designer

Unread post by Duster47 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:57 pm

Hardly a screen shot but I thought this is worth sharing.

Been a while since I posted images of anything. I returned to my creative roots devoting maybe 40-50 hours of time spread across three months on this tangible project. Below picks up about 1/3 into the process.
First about the model. It is a 1960-vintage Airfix 1/72 scale Short Sunderland Mk III flying boat. These flew antisubmarine patrol for RAF Coastal Command. The model itself is completely awful by today's standards. It was covered in sink holes, ill-fitting, some parts cast with mold offset, clear parts scratched/hazed without hint of framing, etc. But it is a neat aircraft I really liked. I decided to use it for a test project to experiment with new-to-me finishing techniques. Starting here, all of the major parts are assembled. Paint everything with a flat-white primer; touch-up defects, and repeat. Repeatedly. Begin final finish work by applying dark gray pre-shading everywhere then covered on lower wings and fuselage sides and bottom with flat white. Gives hint/illusion that there are numerous metal panels that form the aircraft's skin.

Everything to remain white is completely masked. Pre-shade accent lines on top with dark gray. Idea is to imply aircraft is made from different sections all connected and break up solidarity of whatever shade is over the accent lines.

To exactly replicate the camouflage pattern on the top, scan plans then enlarge to match and print.

Dust light coat of lighter top-side color everywhere. Note pre-shading lines still evident. The airplane is too large to fit in my spray booth so had to keep it in pieces. This helps with handling but is risky with seams on this ill-fitting beast.

Cut out masks, make tape copies then transfer the masks from cutting mat to airplane.

Everywhere that will be dark gray is now covered. Paint another light coat of the green to its final shade (actually RAF Dark Sea Gray). Let paint sit overnight. Mask off green with matching halves of masks. Remove previous masks and paint the gray.

Top-side camouflage complete with Slate Gray applied. Mask again along leading edges and paint the black de-icing covers.

Spray whole airplane with Future floor polish. Creates smooth, shiny surface that decals like. Also becomes a protective barriers for weathing to follow.

Dirty it up along rivet lines with light gray. Swab it off with solvent-wet cotton ball or paper towel fore-to-aft. Gives subtle accents to rivets and panel lines. Further breaks up whiteness and adds variations to green/gray areas.

Rigging on pontoon. That is 0.005" nylon thread. Note subtle shadows from pre-shading and streaks from the wash.

All of the parts complete.

Final product. Short Sunderland Mk III of RAF Coastal Command, circa late 1942.

Another view.

On the table with other presenters at the Orlando IMPS annual Modelpalooza.

Earned a Bronze medal. Do not know score breakdown yet where I came up short (sure ill-fitting is part of it). A complete PITA to build but I learned a lot about shading, masking, etc.

LISA100595
Head Builder

Unread post by LISA100595 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow that is really cool, Congrats! :)
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:26 pm

Well done Duster, good to hear from you! Hope all continues to go well man.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Duster47
Area Designer

Unread post by Duster47 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:51 pm

Back to modeling in my sparse free time.
So far so good with cockpit on a much better quality kit than the previous project.

Back in the spray booth again. Trying a weathering technique called chipping using salt as masking agent.
All proceed well until the salt* would not release. Some left clumps disrupting otherwise smooth finish. :o Then masking tape pulled big chunks of OD off of shiny aluminum base. :? Tried to mask and repaint but then the walkway half pulled up too. :x

* Dissolve salt in hot/warm water, dab of soap to reduce surface tension then dab/paint water onto where you want to mask. It dries leaving random-ish salt crystals on surface. Paint over them. Let paint cure a few hours then wipe or lightly scrub with water to break through paint and remove crystal mask. Worked really well last time I tried it.
I think I will try the hairspray method next... on something less expensive. :doh:

A new P39 is in-route via eBay. :oops:

Evohawk

Unread post by Evohawk » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:13 am

Uhhh..was that concert at that AMP
Takeda Musashi - Member of the House of the Crimson Blade - Daimyo (Master Samurai)
https://outlawjjh83.wixsite.com/crimsonblade