Random Generated World Map with Seasons

Community Screenshots, Artwork, and Talent on Display

Moderators: Moderator, DM

NeOmega

Random Generated World Map with Seasons

Unread post by NeOmega »

https://youtu.be/sZvujle1ud0

Still working on the game, getting a little excited now as my map system comes together.

Here is the Uther, the underside of Gaia

And that is warmed by the pyre, the core of the planet

Still working on Generating Ayre, which will be clouds and floating islands and dragons and airships. :D

Zanniej
Global Admin

Re: Random Generated World Map with Seasons

Unread post by Zanniej »

Cool! I'll be interested to see how this will progress!
Keep us posted! :-D
"May the forums be ever in your favor."

"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Now you see me ... now you don't

Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Looks pretty phenomenal, seasons rarely play actually challenging aspect in strategy games, how do you plan on this feature affecting gameplay?

Love the fact that it's a gradual change, depending on the equinox, too. Many games treat seasons as summer/winter cycle with some penalties during winter.

NeOmega

Unread post by NeOmega »

Here is a new look at the snow and fall tree shaders, youtube does not handle tress well, hard to compress:
https://youtu.be/LPFSaOBUhHw

Ivan38Rus wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 am
Looks pretty phenomenal, seasons rarely play actually challenging aspect in strategy games, how do you plan on this feature affecting gameplay?

Love the fact that it's a gradual change, depending on the equinox, too. Many games treat seasons as summer/winter cycle with some penalties during winter.
Seasons are going to be an integral part of elemental magic systems. I am generating and coding my own terrain from the vertex and pixel up, so I can have complete control... ..especially of the data. Time itself will be an important aspect of how things are done. I intend to reward the player with more than awesome weapons and gear. Players will strive to build temples for the religions they made, to host the holidays and rituals for the gods they create at the start screen, or perhaps they will strive to make a famous magic shop. Ending the game will be rewarding, and not require conquering the world or anything like that. The player will come up with an idea, play it out, and if everything goes right, change the landscape.

I am building the system to hold a ton of data, recorded essentially in procedural seeds. So everything will be affected at all times by things like temperature, rain, shadow, etc. Mud will slow down heavier and wheeled units, etc.
One of the things I did not like about BGTSCC was lack of permanence. It made it risky to set up quests for other players, because in 9 hours, server would reset. So I am working on a data system that secures permanence, across games even. Indeed, one of the many cruxes of this new genre I am creating will be exploring other people's games.