Doodles and Things

Community Screenshots, Artwork, and Talent on Display

Moderators: Moderator, DM

MissClick
Retired Staff

Re: Doodles and Things

Unread post by MissClick »

This thread is incredible. Truly beautiful work, wangxiuming! ♡
Your skill in muscle definition and use of color palette is on another level entirely.

Also, dayum.
"Four days will quickly steep themselves in nights;              
                Four nights will quickly dream away the time."
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

O O N A    S I O F R A
Fury_US

Unread post by Fury_US »

I say said calendar should totally be collaborative with all the creative folks we have hanging around here! (and damn right I'm down for one :twisted: )
Savina Rook- Active
Wren Di'Corvi- Retired
"A bit ex-Zhentric" -Winterborne
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

If Nathan goes in the calendar I request he be tastefully censored by puppies and kittens.
Nathan Goldenmane - Guardian of Ilmater's Sanctuary, Mercy's Blade

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
Wolfrayne
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Wolfrayne »

What we need to do is vote on the 12 Men to put in said calendar and get it done! one sexy BG man for each month!
Reiker Vexx - "Fortune favors the bold"
Cyrus Raviin - "Veritas Credo Oculos"
wangxiuming

Unread post by wangxiuming »

Haha ohmygosh. I totally underestimated how much interest there would be in a Men of BGTSCC Calendar ... :shifty: Just to be clear, I'm not actually tackling a calendar project ATM (I need to finish my tarot set first, at least ;) ), although I would love to contribute to a collaborative one like Fury suggested with all the rest of BG's artists!

As promised, here is the completed Tarot I mentioned in my last post. It's Aesa as the Star! This one's a commission from Kaybrie. Thank you for supporting me! <3
https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... cana/star/

Since this was a commission, Kaybrie and I spent some time discussing which Arcana would be most fitting for her character, Aesa. As with all the subjects of these cards, I like to draw from the character's history, personality, and recent character development. After mulling some of the options, we eventually landed on the Star.

Long story short, the Star arcana in its upright position represents hope, faith, renewal, spirituality and purpose. We thought the card would be a good fit for Aesa because had a crisis of faith some time ago, but her coming to terms with a new path and future led to her discovering a new faith in Mielikki. The Star also suggests a time for self-reflection, rediscovery of inspiration and purpose. Aesa has gradually been growing as a person over her time on BG, choosing to forgo alcohol to improve herself, while finding purpose and solidarity in the Radiant Heart, something she originally shied away from. All of these developments really made Star resonate when we were deciding on the final arcana.

Random Notes:
- The Rider-Waite version of the Star card shows a naked, kneeling woman with one foot on the water and one foot on the earth. Above her, eight stars shine in the sky, while a verdant In my version, Aesa replaces the naked woman. She sits with one foot submerged in the pond, while the other rests above.
- The woman from the original pours two jugs of water (one into a lake, the other onto land). Aesa pours alcohol from her gourd into the pond, representing her abstinence.
- The Rider-Waite card features eight stars (one central Star + seven peripheral ones) that hang in the sky above the woman's head. In my card, the whole sky is full of countless stars - however, if you look closely, you should see that a constellation in the shape of Mielikki's symbol is derived from eight of the brightest stars.
- Aesa's wounds are intended to represent her fighting nature, where she is not afraid to take a beating, but is more than capable of giving one right back.
Kaybrie

Unread post by Kaybrie »

Much love and adored wangxiuming!

And to supporting my artist friends and getting to take a piece of them with me, wherever we might go!
Yashe - Paladin of Sune
ice_cold535

Unread post by ice_cold535 »

I know you are all waiting for it.....
I agree, Valduil should be in the calendar, however I make one request similar to Nathan's.

Although Valduil would be censored by shrubbery.

Maybe a nice spruce.
Arn

Unread post by Arn »

After RPing with Aesa a bit on Mi-Le, I have to say this depiction is spot-on. Aesa comes off as a world-weary warrior searching for something more, both in RP and in this card. Amazing job as always, wangxiuming.

Now, about that calendar... :lol:
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
Winterborne

I love it. Aesa has always been to me a character that's a mixture of strength and vulnerability and I think this is an incredible depiction of her.

wangxiuming

Thank you all for your kind words, as always. <3 They've been enormously encouraging and have really helped me work through this set.

A commission for AgentOrange. It's Jay Lewis, as the Justice Arcana! Thank you for commissioning me!

https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... a/justice/

AgentOrange had a pretty good idea of which arcana Jay should be when they contacted me, so I went with their choice of Justice. The Justice Arcana represents fairness, truth, cause & effect, law and, of course, justice. With Tyr as his primary patron, Jay has an obvious connection to the themes of justice. However, there are elements to Jay's personality and backstory that make him a particularly interesting choice for the card. You can learn more in AgentOrange's lovely bio for the character!

The Rider-Waite Justice card features the figure of Justice sitting between two pillars that symbolize law and balance. She holds in her hands a sword and a set of scales (representing logic & intuition). Because I am all for subverting tropes, it was really compelling to me to have Jay, a tiefling, represent the figure of Justice. As a character that struggles sometimes with doing what's right, with his conscience usually winning out in the end, I knew I wanted a card that reflected those themes.

Random Notes:
- In my version of the card, Jay still holds a sword, but it's faced down and centered on his own body to represent the themes of balance.
- His wrists are shackled by his own manacles, and the chains above him recall the imagery of the set of scales held in the original card.
- The dramatic lighting is intended to highlight Jay's internal conflict, and is done in Tyrran colors.

===============

Side Note: I am raising my commission rates soon! However, I am honoring the current rates for everyone that is waitlisted before 5/15.
Last edited by wangxiuming on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Winterborne

Amazing as always! I always love seeing new posts in here!!

Arn

Unread post by Arn »

Dude I've never RPed with this Jay character, but now I wanna. Seems like an interesting character.

Oh yeah and also great work, *emotes envy*, *emotes disappointment in own artistic skills*, etc. You know, the standard stuff. :lol:
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
AgentOrange

Unread post by AgentOrange »

Thank you for this amazing portrait. It exceeded my expectations, and it captures Jay perfectly.
.:Marietta Thairo:. Former Dreadlord. Hell on heels. Retired with her family somewhere.
Freedom will not bring a better tomorrow.
electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

Wow! I've been behind checking these out. You've been busy! All of them are amazing! Thankyou for sharing :D

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

wangxiuming

Latest commission: Telia & Ameris as the Lovers
https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... na/lovers/

A commission for Kleomenes - thank you for your support!

The Lovers Arcana represents love, harmony, relationships, an alignment of values, and choices. The Rider-Waite card shows a naked man and woman facing each other in a verdant landscape, watched over by an angel. The card symbolizes openness and raw honesty, its figures willing to be vulnerable with each other as part of their romance.

Telia & Ameris have such an amazingly rich history. A few options were proposed for a scene that might work for them, but I ultimately chose the one set in Beregost's masquerade ball. The pair shared a dance and a touching moment together afterward. At this point, Ameris was hopeful to see Telia redeemed, and this was one of the moments that made Telia realize she wanted more than just a few fleeting moments with him. From what I gather, this scene paved the way for Telia & Ameris as they are now.

I took some artistic liberties with the actual events depicted in my version of the card. It was a masquerade, so in reality both Telia and Ameris wore masks while dancing. My version shows Telia and Ameris dancing. However, they are the only dancers who are unmasked. They face each other, staring lovingly into each other's eyes. In essence, Telia and Ameris are baring their souls to each other. That, and the contrast of them being unmasked while the rest of the dancers are masked is meant to recall the nakedness and vulnerability of the man and woman from the original card.

Random Notes:
- Telia's visible blood scars on her forearm is another symbol of the raw honesty represented by the Lovers Card. As I understand it, Telia hid her blood scars for a long time and would never bare her arms in a social setting; having her show them here is representative of how willing she was to choose to be vulnerable with Ameris.
- Ameris wears a red cord around his wrist, to mark him as an Ilmatari. There was a brief flirting of having him in priestly robes instead of ballroom attire too, but ...
- Instead, he wears an outfit bearing the sigil of his noble family and background, something he reconciled through her.
- A certain golden lemon paladin makes a cameo in the background.

Return to “Gallery”