Doodles and Things

Community Screenshots, Artwork, and Talent on Display

Moderators: Moderator, DM

wangxiuming

Re: Doodles and Things

Unread post by wangxiuming »

Karn, the Devil

BiddyTarot wrote:The Devil card represents your shadow (or darker) side and the negative forces that constrain you and hold you back from being the best version of yourself. You may be at the effect of negative habits, dependencies, behaviours, thought patterns, relationships, and addictions. You have found yourself trapped between the short-term pleasure you receive and the longer-term pain you experience. Just as the Lovers card speaks to duality and choice, so too does the Devil; however, with the Devil, you are choosing the path of instant gratification, even if it is at the expense of your long-term well-being. In effect, you have sold your soul to the devil!
Fury recommended Karn as a candidate for a Devil tarot card redux. Here is my attempt!

Shockingly, I actually still really like my old devil tarot card in spite of its somewhat awkward composition. Evered had a very tragic backstory relating to addiction and the death of his lover, and I still like that I was able to capture some of that emotion in the old card. That said, the style of that card is just too different from all the rest I've done so far. Thus, I knew I had to do a new version of the Devil eventually.

I did not draw too much symbolism from the Rider-Waite card for this one, specifically because a lot of the imagery relates to human figures turning demonic (growing horns and tails) as they succumb to their desires and addictions. However, since tieflings exist in the forgotten realms, it kind of confuses the metaphor. Thus, I leaned hard into the pirate theme and just tried to retain a somewhat diabolical color scheme.
MissClick
Retired Staff

Unread post by MissClick »

Truly incredible, wangxiuming! I love the composition and colors - it looks and feels so alive!

( Also ... how on earth did I miss the posting of the faces of BGTSCC!? 👀👌👌👌)
"Four days will quickly steep themselves in nights;              
                Four nights will quickly dream away the time."
― William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream

O O N A    S I O F R A
The Whistler

Unread post by The Whistler »

wangxiuming wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:00 pmI did not draw too much symbolism from the Rider-Waite card for this one, specifically because a lot of the imagery relates to human figures turning demonic (growing horns and tails) as they succumb to their desires and addictions.
what a missed opportunity...
Punished Karn
An addict denied his kammarth

he does look a bit too young and blemish free here, but I'll happily chalk this up to his pact with the devil. :lol: jokes aside that is amazing work considering you only had fury's references to work off of, you are incredibly talented.
Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
wangxiuming

Another one for the calendar ... :shifty:

It's Rellon!
kersplunk

Unread post by kersplunk »

OMG, how am I just now looking at this thread? Your work is INCREDIBLE!
Carah Evenwood ~ "I want to believe you're wrong. That we can be judged by more than just the sum of our sins. But if you're not, we truly are in hell."

Elena Petrakou ~ "Naturally."

Rahalat Amastacia ~ *awkward lack of eye contact*
Requiem

Unread post by Requiem »

Feel free to point me in the direction of who to sell my soul to in order to have this kind of talent! :twisted: Amazing as always!
Arturi Valdaska - Nomadic Smith and Tracker
One of the "People of the Highway" and forever a "Child of Selune"

-Biography-
wangxiuming

Thank you for your kind words! Please make all sacrifices to whoever is the god of creative/art blocks (probably Beshaba or something) ;)

Here's how Osric looks in 1356!

Arn

Unread post by Arn »

I like how you did the light going through his hair. :O

Amazing work as always. Are you taking commissions these days?
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
wangxiuming

Thank you! Alas no, I'm not taking on additional commissions at the moment. But I'll post here when I have slots open!
wangxiuming

Commissioned by Progressive-Psy. It's Fingal, as the Magician.

Prog-Psy had a pretty clear idea of what he wanted for Fingal, so I did my best to bring him to life. Thank you for commissioning me!
MithralMelody

Unread post by MithralMelody »

What a hunk! *swoons*

Lovely work as always!
Melody Darius
House Darius

Retired to Waterdeep with her loving husband and newborn son!

Commissioned Art: Melody Darius
Commissioned Art: Fingal and Melody Darius
Winterborne

Unread post by Winterborne »

I'd hit it. Amazing as always Osric, really captures the character.
Nathan Goldenmane - Guardian of Ilmater's Sanctuary, Mercy's Blade

Steward and Head of Business, House Darius -
wangxiuming

Salim in the Far Realm, as the Fool. Thank you for commissioning me kitteninablender!

AgentOrange

Unread post by AgentOrange »

Looks amazing! His expression is priceless!
.:Marietta Thairo:. Former Dreadlord. Hell on heels. Retired with her family somewhere.
Freedom will not bring a better tomorrow.
wangxiuming

The Zhentarim as the Emperor Arcana

Just imagine if I had finished this card when Morgalia was still Dreadlord. =[

https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-m ... a/emperor/

I struggled with who to use for this card for a very long time. I toyed with Wren for a while (because I like me some female authority figures), but ultimately went with a different direction for her card. I debated individual Banites, but felt that while the card was a good representation of each of these characters' faith, it felt like a poor choice for the entirety of their character. And so I ultimately settled on the Zhentarim faction instead!

The Emperor in tarot represents authority, establishment and structure in its upright form. In its reversed configuration, it instead represents domination, excessive control and inflexibility. Who better to depict than an organization dedicated to Bane, who is all about tyranny and oppression?

The original Emperor card depicts an emperor sitting upon his throne. In my BG version, I show the (former) Dreadlord Morgalia, supported by her Knight-Commander Bob Thairo and her Herald, Marietta Starling. Above them is the symbol of the Zhentarim - a descending dragon - juxtaposed against a white sky that represents freedom, contrasting the darkness of Darkhold's interior.

Additional Notes:
- I wanted to include more Banites (sorry Barry & Buerozoa!), but my fingers threatened to revolt. Sadly, I'm not a Banite so I I couldn't terrorize them into obeying me.
- I'm really glad I got to draw Morgalia, however, who has left a lasting impact on Osric despite them having very little interaction with each other.

Return to “Gallery”