Server funds

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Zanniej
Barn manager

Server funds

Unread post by Zanniej »

Hey all,

I've updated the server funds for the first time in a very long while. This has been a major headache of mine and the cause of many sleepless nights, which I will detail below, for those interested. My apologies for the long time it took me to update the server funds. I promise I will keep it more up to date from this moment on.

How did we get here? Well, a long while back, I've made the mistake of creating a business PayPal account for our server, as I wanted the snazzy donate button that comes with it. What could go wrong?
Well, apparently, enough. Forward to 2021. The US had new tax laws (or something along those lines), and PayPal had to comply, which meant users of PayPal had to comply. I was asked for my business information, but explained to them that, yes, I made a business account, but no, this is not a business. Long story short, without business information, I couldn't use the account and they froze it, including all funds in it. I created a new (personal) account, to keep this server running, put my own creditcard as backup, and figured I'd deal with the aftermath in the background.

THE AFTERMATH
So, they couldn't unfreeze the account until I gave the information I didn't have. After long (and slow) conversations with their support, where members of their team seemed to trade conversations every hour, I finally got to the point where they explained to me that I can only fix the account type when half a year had passed (I'm not sure why)... So I waited. Half a year passed, and I retried to get the funds back, only to get through the same tedious support conversations, asking me to fill in the forms that I couldn't fill in, and again trying to explain the situation.

This is still ongoing, but they promised me now that they'll change the account to personal, so I can finish up what needs to be done. Luckily, I've updated the funds page, looked up all incoming and outgoing moneys, and all that jazz is up to date. So while I work on this in the background, it no longer has any real relevance to the state of our server.

I am very grateful to all the people who've kept donating during this time, and also very grateful to the people who've made use of our Patreon page. You guys help us keep this server alive, and I'm hoping we can keep this going for many more years to come.

As always, should you have any questions or remarks, do not hesitate to let me know, through whatever medium you prefer (Discord, forum PMs, response to this topic, postcards ... okay, maybe not postcards :lol: )

Happy gaming!
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: Server funds

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Just to clarify, we can keep donating through paypal, correct?
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Endelyon

Re: Server funds

Unread post by Endelyon »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:17 pm Just to clarify, we can keep donating through paypal, correct?
Yep, the one that's frozen is an old account that's no longer in use. Our current link leads to a new one that should be working fine.

Patreon is also available as an option for those who prefer it.

Return to “Community”