The What I'm READING Thread!

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

illithid

Re: The What I'm READING Thread!

Unread post by illithid »

A short, fictional, but horribly teasing and interesting insight into devils (RP?) in christianity
I never make mistakes…I thought I did once; but I was wrong.
stevebarracuda
Recognized Donor

Re: Player Names

Unread post by stevebarracuda »

For some like me, AD&D was just one of the many early Role-play games that occupied my youth. Cyberpunk was definitely a tie, with a few Steve Jackson games for fun (also Battlemech).

Anyway, here is an interesting tale of these games:

http://boingboing.net/2015/05/08/your-c ... dange.html
As J.G. Ballard has said, "It's a mistake to hold back and refuse to accept one's own nature."
Riknueth

Unread post by Riknueth »

I recently finished

I will soon be reading the next book Exile once I get it tomorrow :D
"I live where secrets hide and thrive where dangers dwell with blades concealed and sharpened well. For wealth and power I will break both lock and spell if I am taken by death's embrace I shall die well." - Riknueth Zotreth
thids

Unread post by thids »

http://www.stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Also Colours in the Steel by K.J. Parker
Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
freekender

Unread post by freekender »

I finished the last book of this saga some months ago, but it's a collection I strongly recommend as they automatically entered in my top-3 book series. I'm talking about the Joe Abercrombie books: the "The First Law" trilogy, and the books "Best Served Cold", "The Heroes", and "Red Country" (not sure if the last one is the exact title as I read them in spanish). Dark characters, very well constructed, good history... they are simply amazing.
Myrualae - Chantress of Doron Amar
Snow - Sorcery and carrots!
Gomez de Aguirre - The Fabulous Knight of the Mystic Fire
Uelaereene Sai'zzel - Once I saw the stars...
Lilly Sai'zzel - Stormy snowflake
And more...
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Children like being frightened by fairy tales. They have an inborn need to experience powerful emotions. Andersen scared children, but I’m certain that none of them held it against him, not even after they grew up. His marvelous tales abound in indubitably supernatural beings, not to mention talking animals and loquacious buckets. Not everyone in this brotherhood is harmless and well-disposed. The character who turns up most often is death, an implacable individual who steals unexpectedly into the very heart of happiness and carries off the best, the most beloved. Andersen took children seriously. He speaks to them not only about life’s joyous adventures, but about its woes, its miseries, its often undeserved defeats. His fairy tales, peopled with fantastic creatures, are more realistic than whole tons of today’s stories for children, which fret about verisimilitude and avoid wonders like the plague. Andersen had the courage to write stories with unhappy endings. He didn’t believe that you should try to be good because it pays (as today’s moral tales insistently advertise, though it doesn’t necessarily turn out that way in real life), but because evil stems from intellectual and emotional stuntedness and is the one form of poverty that should be shunned.
https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/04/2 ... ales-fear/

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Lucky is fun, but too lucky is unreal:

http://m.nautil.us/issue/44/luck/how-de ... ideo-games

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Young Werther

Unread post by Young Werther »

Lockonnow wrote:greatest fear like the movie Hellraiser they show you what you most fear and take a Image of IT
CommanderKrieg

Unread post by CommanderKrieg »

-Insert profound statement-

Out of good ones.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
ghostly_rose

Unread post by ghostly_rose »

I am not sure if I like it yet... Just started reading but it was suggested after The Picture of Dorian Gray which I loved!
genbor
Recognized Donor

Unread post by genbor »

I'm currently reading a chinese xianxia webnovel (translated to english) called Renegade Immortal.

What is xianxia?
Hidden: show
Xianxia is a newer genre and is essentially a ‘fantasy-fied’ version of Wuxia (real life setting with martial artist capable of supernatural feats), with magic, demons, immortals, people who can fly, etc. The biggest contributor to the Xianxia genre is actually not martial arts; rather, it is ‘Taoism’, which is a major part of Chinese history. Taoism is both a philosophical way of life as well as an actual religion. Religious Taoism is often blurred together with Chinese folk mythologies, and is chock-full of stories about demons, ghosts, and people learning how to become immortals through meditation/understanding the ways of heaven, and flying in the air and casting powerful magic spells. The legendary Monkey King, Sun Wukong acquired his power through Taoist practices, and the concept of the Yin-Yang is also from Taoism. Xianxia blends lots of these folk stories and magical Taoist legends into their stories in a way which ‘true’ Wuxia stories almost never do.

The characters forming it are ‘Xian’ and ‘Xia’, which literally means ‘immortal hero’.

- I slightly altered the description on the Wuxiaworld website, for what I think offers a little bit more clarity.
Give it a try and see if you like it or not.

You can read it here. It's a website that's been translating webnovels like these for a while now.
If you die, don't come crying to me about it.

Characters:

- Eustace C. Pyrewood
- Gendal Gilbek
Wyatt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Wyatt »

*Yellow text means the marshall is in town*

Characters:
The Copper Fox - Scoundrel and Sailor, in that order.
Ol' Ran'll Cobb
Kellan Armstrong - Deacon of Lathander
The Whistler

Unread post by The Whistler »

Schrödinger's Cyricism: NPCs simultaneously know everything and nothing about Cyric until observed by the Cyricist. Then they default to the state that disadvantages the Cyricist the most.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Recently I read a book called "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Great story that any gamer will enjoy. I highly recommend it and also suggest reading it without googling it or reading any of the backstory or synopsis as it is more fun to discover organically as you ready.

Recently I've been reading the "Critical Failures" series by Robert Bevan. I can't honestly endorse them as great books, but I will say that my wife stares at me while I laugh hysterically at the toilet humor mixed in with various D&D / nerd tropes that appear in the story lines. I didn't go in to the first book expecting much and it delivered just about on target... However, the author's various portrayal of the characters and the bugs bunny style things that happen to them are really funny (in a depraved, I probably should seek help kind of way).
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands

Return to “Community”