D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Arn

D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Unread post by Arn »

I didn't see a thread about this movie yet, so I figured I would start one. Sorry I missed it, if it exists!

Spoiler-free post here.

I loved the movie. It was so much more faithful to FR lore than I could have hoped. They mention the names of famous mages that most of us will recognize, we'll all know the settings, and I could name almost every single wizard spell casted. Seeing certain factions in this movie was also awesome. I recognized the freaking Tears of Selune in one scene. I did not expect to see that kind of lore-oriented detail in this movie. It was practically a love letter to NWN players.

They took slight liberties with a few rules. But on the whole? I think they stuck to the rules shockingly well, for a big budget movie. You could accurately gauge the power of a character by the spells they casted.

The characters were great and the story was fine. Good, even. I think the ending was very fitting.

If you haven't see the movie yet, you really should. It made me weirdly proud to be a BG player. :')
Mi-Le (彌勒) - "Meditate, monks. Do not be negligent, lest you regret it later." ((-Saṃyutta Nikāya 35.146))
-Monk of the Old Order and the Way. Will not kill.
-[IC Journal]
-[Bio]

((Feel free to reach out to Mi-Le for forum RP!))

Wendi - Haggling crafter. [Bio]
Anatti
Meredith
DM Winter
Head DM

Re: D&D: Honor Among Thieves

Unread post by DM Winter »

LOVE IT!

Feels good to have a fun and good representation of D&D hitting the theaters. So much fun, I laughed so hard throughout that movie, and yeah, knowing a bit of D&D makes it even better. The details are great, seeing creatures in the background that you can recognise made my experience amazing. No movie is perfect, but this was truly a great experience, I'll be going again with friends.
Winter is coming... Or something like that, idk, you get the joke

My Event's Rules & Guidelines
Server Rules / PVP Rules / Narrative & Expectation

The HDM on Desk Duty!
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

watching the movie is like eating a whole cake especially made from our own imagination (i'd imagine sweet cinnamon cappuccino with tiramisu sprinkled icing and creamy light coffee inside)

its beautiful(way beyond what i imagine)
its short and sweet(when something is good, you didnt realize time passes by)
it made you cry of the irony(amazing fights and how it was executed)
it has depth of which you like(pretty deep im surprised, not too deep that it bores you)
it is accurate, it depicts how a bard behaves, paladin(in this case INT paladin, and 0% Lawful Stupid)
it leaves a good aftertaste, and on top of that....
there is tiramisu sprinkled icing and cherry on top!

now i think i have answered myself as of why my main character is RP'd as a fat guy who likes to eat :lol:
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Dolorof

Unread post by Dolorof »

I love what they done with the spells and chantings. Its not cringe and it very consistent, theere is a part where they even show that a mage can't easly cast spells if said image is unable to speak.
Overall they did a great job of not making the movie too serious, finding the right balance between adventure and comedy.
Eroan Sandram - Citzen of Doron Amar
Character Sheet
Meredith Nid - The gnome mage
Character Sheet

Discord: Dolorof#1390 - Brazilian Timezone (GMT-3)
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

iam not in a hurry but i dont belive to be big Epic more then anything eles what i have see the trailermaybe iam don with many of that stuff iam more thiknign of the Earth and space but it could be to later.
Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill »

It was good.
It was not epic but that was a good thing- it did not try to be.
It had a solid story that kept me interested. There was no major breaks in lore or cringey momments that I had half expected.

I will say though that the overall setting was not totally perfect imo. Or I should say not totally as I envision it to be. But that said, the D&D world has evolved so much over the years and my vision will always be stuck in 2nd edition with a twist of Tolkien. So I wont hold it against them.

The best part of the movie and this might be a spoiler- was that it had no warrior villans wearing lipstick!
Wooo!!

I look forward to the next one.
Malodia - Bae'qeshel - The Dark Minstrel - https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=76945

Gilthisanthilas - Pryat of Helm - Everwatch Knight

Skagrot Skullsplitter - Mountain Orc Warrior - The Last Skullsplitter https://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=79740
Jepop

Unread post by Jepop »

Tekill wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:51 pm It was good.
It was not epic but that was a good thing- it did not try to be.
It had a solid story that kept me interested. There was no major breaks in lore or cringey momments that I had half expected.

I will say though that the overall setting was not totally perfect imo. Or I should say not totally as I envision it to be. But that said, the D&D world has evolved so much over the years and my vision will always be stuck in 2nd edition with a twist of Tolkien. So I wont hold it against them.

The best part of the movie and this might be a spoiler- was that it had no warrior villans wearing lipstick!
Wooo!!

I look forward to the next one.
Lerbo Nuggetneck- Svirfneblin Miner and Fisherman
Rikki Richfoot- Hin Locksmith and Appraiser
Harjo Crimsonhart- Dead?
Anarkitty

Unread post by Anarkitty »

I posted a thread about the movie mocking the "Youtube bro" culture but it seems I made people mad. The new movie is great! But lets not forget, we already had a good D&D movie called The Book of Vile Darkness. Classic! Even with its terrible special effects and wonky dialogue, it was a movie that inspired my D&D imagination. How many movies or D&D campaigns follow an evil group of adventurers? Not many is the answer.
calvinus

Unread post by calvinus »

Thanks for your post on D&D: Honor Among Thieves! I cannot say enough how much I love this movie. It was funny, adventurous, had interesting characters, a great group party dynamic, fun, and had a variety of D&D archetypes in an actual Faerun setting. Agreed on lore bits here and there such as the Tears of Selune appearing being a great respect for the setting.

Also, when in earlier in the movie there is a map zoom out and you see Baldur's Gate in the bottom left corner on the map, I may have teared up a bit. LONG LIVE BGTSCC!
Wai Li - Paladin and Watcher of Helm and Head Watchknight of the Everwatch [bio]

Secret Plotting Non-Good Characters
- "Muahahaha."
selhan
Custom Content

Unread post by selhan »

I enjoyed it, much better the the past few ones, just wish it was less comedy and more on the serious side of things.
“We drink to get drunk, we get drunk to fall asleep, when we fall asleep, we commit no sin, when we commit no sin, we go to the Heaven's."

Bartender of the Broken Goblet - "What's yer Poison?"

Click to find out what time is it for the Bartender
ValerieJean
Custom Content

Unread post by ValerieJean »

Best movie ever omg they did so well with it! Love love loved!!
Radrilla Imrae Helvi'viir
Gaven Arkalis
Micar'vilchi Illiathor - Dhaerowathi (Drow Bane)
Mia
Donamira
Cat_Queen

Unread post by Cat_Queen »

A lovely movie, please support it! :) This film is really well done. Not only is it accessible to those who are unfamiliar with D&D, but they were tremendously faithful to the setting and there's plenty of references and Easter eggs for those who are familiar with D&D. It's like I told a non-D&D friend of mine "You see two mages fighting with magic hands, I see a Sorcerer fighting a Wizard with Maximilian's Earthen Grasp against Bixby's Hand, AND THAT'S WHY IT WORKS!". All in all, you can tell - whether a fan of D&D coming in or not - that a HUGE amount of love and care went into this film. Directors, cast, crew, all of them made something to be proud of!

And I love that they established from the very beginning that Edgin and Holga were like brother and sister. Not every story requires the leads to have a love interest. Platonic love and loyalty are just as, if not more, interesting in my opinion. Also, I loved how funny this movie was. The jokes and gags were actually really clever and not just silly prat falls or lazy body humor.
Mother Night

Unread post by Mother Night »

I enjoyed the movie.
Last edited by Mother Night on Wed Sep 20, 2023 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shea731977

Unread post by Shea731977 »

Good to know someone makes a good D&D movie finally. I'll see it on DVD.
ValerieJean
Custom Content

Unread post by ValerieJean »

Loved it! Such a lovely movie, so fun! If you have not seen it I recommend!
Radrilla Imrae Helvi'viir
Gaven Arkalis
Micar'vilchi Illiathor - Dhaerowathi (Drow Bane)
Mia
Donamira

Return to “Community”