The Force of this movie

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM_Absolution

Re: The Force of this movie

Unread post by DM_Absolution »

I have seen the movie two times now, and my problem is that there are too many people disliking it for minor reasons. It is a good movie, though the story is very similar to originals, but the acting is way better and it contains proper dialogue.
- Absolution comes at a price -

- If thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." -
thids

Unread post by thids »

I finally got around to seeing this... thing.

The good:
Hidden: show
Kylo Ren - while the character is an emo bitch the actor actually does a very good job of portraying someone who is torn. I'm hoping he'll turn out to be the actual main character of the new trilogy, flickering between the light and the dark side finally finding his place somewhere in between.
Harrison Ford - the old man has proven that he is still capable of portraying characters filled with swagger. He'll probably be able to do it until he rots away.
Oscar Isaac - Probably the best actor they have cast for the new movies. Unfortunately we'll be lucky to see him for more than 30 minutes overall on the big screen through the whole 3 movies. After all, his character is only one of the most accomplished ace pilots in the galaxy, gotta spend more time focusing on muh strong independent womyn and her black garbageman sidekick.
The bad:
-Some important things are just sped through. Some moments that required a reasonably dramatic moment with a reveal at the end were handled badly. It's as if JJ had a checklist of things he didn't like about star wars in general or things he didn't want to spend time on, so he just ran through the list crossing things off as fast as possible.
- Carrie Fisher... it's unbelievable how bad she is in this.
- This movie does not have that classic Star Wars atmosphere. It doesn't even feel as if it's a movie from the same "setting" as the previous 6 movies. We can talk crap about the prequels, and laugh and Hayden Christensen for being a terrible actor, but at least the prequels felt as if they were star wars movies. Part of it comes from the fact that Disney and Abrams have FORCEFULLY steered away from anything that comes from the previous movies. We have not seen a single popular star wars planet, all of the planets were newly written ones. It makes no sense, he's copying parts of the story from the old movies, yet he steers away from everything else. Even the New Republic has a seat in some random new system. Of course, the Republic is another one of the things JJ didn't like, so he crossed it off his check list. Then for the rest of the movie the fact that the republic has been wiped out is barely even mentioned.
- death garbage. When will it stop? Why? Why would they come back with this bullshit? Why must there be a ray of absolute destruction? It's so retarded. What's really sad is that as someone who likes star wars, I didn't give a flying (do-me) about things that happened in this movie, except the ray of destruction being shot across the entire galaxy. That triggered me for a few minutes because I thought they destroyed Coruscant.
- The final fight is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever witnessed in a Star Wars movie. I get that Kylo Ren is still in training himself and I get that he's been wounded. I can even understand Rey matching him blow for blow... but the garbage man wounding him? Really? Come on... That's complete garbage. Then, near the end of the fight, we get to the autism of epic proportions. Rey decides to close her eyes and meditate for a whole minute while they have their lightsabers in a lock. I am speechless. The person who wrote that is an unimaginative cretin. Even making it like a slowmotion thing where she gets a flashback or something would have made it bearable. Cheesy af, but bearable.
6/10 It's probably a better movie than everything except episode 5, but it's a bad Star Wars movie. It's sad that in a slow year for movies a new Star Wars movie isn't even in contention for the movie of the year.

JJ has proven once again that he's an incompetent hack who only knows how to leave his mark on a franchise by mutilating it.

But hey, at least I got to see the new Deadpool trailer on the big screen!
Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
DM_Absolution

Unread post by DM_Absolution »

Thids wrote:I finally got around to seeing this... thing.

The good:
Kylo Ren - while the character is an emo bitch the actor actually does a very good job of portraying someone who is torn. I'm hoping he'll turn out to be the actual main character of the new trilogy, flickering between the light and the dark side finally finding his place somewhere in between.
Harrison Ford - the old man has proven that he is still capable of portraying characters filled with swagger. He'll probably be able to do it until he rots away.
Oscar Isaac - Probably the best actor they have cast for the new movies. Unfortunately we'll be lucky to see him for more than 30 minutes overall on the big screen through the whole 3 movies. After all, his character is only one of the most accomplished ace pilots in the galaxy, gotta spend more time focusing on muh strong independent womyn and her black garbageman sidekick.
The bad:
-Some important things are just sped through. Some moments that required a reasonably dramatic moment with a reveal at the end were handled badly. It's as if JJ had a checklist of things he didn't like about star wars in general or things he didn't want to spend time on, so he just ran through the list crossing things off as fast as possible.
- Carrie Fisher... it's unbelievable how bad she is in this.
- This movie does not have that classic Star Wars atmosphere. It doesn't even feel as if it's a movie from the same "setting" as the previous 6 movies. We can talk crap about the prequels, and laugh and Hayden Christensen for being a terrible actor, but at least the prequels felt as if they were star wars movies. Part of it comes from the fact that Disney and Abrams have FORCEFULLY steered away from anything that comes from the previous movies. We have not seen a single popular star wars planet, all of the planets were newly written ones. It makes no sense, he's copying parts of the story from the old movies, yet he steers away from everything else. Even the New Republic has a seat in some random new system. Of course, the Republic is another one of the things JJ didn't like, so he crossed it off his check list. Then for the rest of the movie the fact that the republic has been wiped out is barely even mentioned.
- death garbage. When will it stop? Why? Why would they come back with this (#2)? Why must there be a ray of absolute destruction? It's so retarded. What's really sad is that as someone who likes star wars, I didn't give a flying (do-me) about things that happened in this movie, except the ray of destruction being shot across the entire galaxy. That triggered me for a few minutes because I thought they destroyed Coruscant.
- The final fight is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever witnessed in a Star Wars movie. I get that Kylo Ren is still in training himself and I get that he's been wounded. I can even understand Rey matching him blow for blow... but the garbage man wounding him? Really? Come on... That's complete garbage. Then, near the end of the fight, we get to the autism of epic proportions. Rey decides to close her eyes and meditate for a whole minute while they have their lightsabers in a lock. I am speechless. The person who wrote that is an unimaginative cretin. Even making it like a slowmotion thing where she gets a flashback or something would have made it bearable. Cheesy af, but bearable.
6/10 It's probably a better movie than everything except episode 5, but it's a bad Star Wars movie. It's sad that in a slow year for movies a new Star Wars movie isn't even in contention for the movie of the year.

JJ has proven once again that he's an incompetent hack who only knows how to leave his mark on a franchise by mutilating it.

But hey, at least I got to see the new Deadpool trailer on the big screen!
Unnecessary to call anyone an "incompetent hack". I do agree with parts of your critique, this movie has obvious flaws, and it does lack a bit of that star wars feel, but just a bit.

J.J had a huge job in packing 30 years into this movie, and knowing that disney would definately want him to be conservative with this movie. I have high hopes for episode VIII, and depending on how good that movie is, will affect how good episode VII is as well, because there are a lot of questions that needs to be answered.
- Absolution comes at a price -

- If thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." -
thids

Unread post by thids »

They could have gone two ways in terms of atmosphere. They could have stuck to the classic Star Wars, by bringing in a lot of old stuff or they could have built up atmosphere for this new era properly. The problem is they wanted to go with the 2nd option and didn't manage to build up that atmosphere because they put too many things in one movie.

I'll pay to see both of the sequels of course, but I was left disappointed by this. And it's weird because I'm usually the person who'll forgive a lot of things to movies that are sure to be followed up by sequels. I think I'm one of the few people who still hold faith in Prometheus turning out to make sense and be a good movie as a part of a trilogy in the end.
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

The movie was not too bad but It could have been longer. All the other SW movies were 3 or more hours, this one was a mere 2 at best.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Charraj

Unread post by Charraj »

I really liked Rey and Finn, and the final fight was my favorite part of the movie! :lol:
Mara - Paladin of Jergal
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit
Samuel - A professional
Sempo - Former butler, priest of Siamorphe
Charraj Cain - Mystran. Dead.
DM Mister Rogers - It's such a good feeling to know that we're lifelong friends.
thids

Unread post by thids »

Episode 8 isn't directed by Abrams, and on top of that there are 3 additional movies announced (first one is coming out next December). I'm hopeful episode 7 was just a stepping stone that had to be all crammed up like this.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
Release: Dec. 16, 2016

Star Wars: Episode VIII
Release: May 26, 2017

Star Wars Anthology: Han Solo
Release: May 25th, 2018

Star Wars: Episode IX
Release: 2019

Star Wars Anthology: Boba Fett
Release: 2020
freekender

Unread post by freekender »

I finally saw watched the movie yesterday, and I must say I enjoyed it a lot.

First the bad points.
I share some of the critics Steve and Thids have written. And the worse fact is that the only recognizable planet is Jakku, the rest are... which the hell are the other planets? And I also though for a minute that Coruscant was destroyed.

Is also true that the movie has maybe an excesive nostagia, but I can understand as it is trying to continue one of the best trilogies of the cinema history, 30 years later.
And there some "holes" in the narration as well, as some facts of the final duel. But let be honest, they were in the old movies too.

Oh, and yes, Carrie Fisher is just horrible.
Now the good points.
The strong point for me are the characters, the new and the old ones are very well contructed in my opinion. If you think carefully, Star Wars is the classic knight and princess history, with a quest as the main plot, but in a very far galaxy (and finally, a princess who is a butt-kicker and not a fragile lady). Kylo Ren and his internal struggle is well constructed too, let's see where it leads. Oh, and, for me, BB8 is fairly better that C3PO and R2D2 together, is just adorable.

Another point in my opinion is that this movie has a perfect balance of narration-action-humour, something the prequels did not have, they were centered too much in the action. And with some epic moments, specially when Han Solo is murdered by Kylo Ren, who at last (?) chooses to continue the path of the dark side.

Finally, this is the first movie in a trilogy, that is introducing the characters and the history and that ends with more questions that it has in its beginning: who is Finn, who is Rei (ok, this one is foreseeable), who is Snooke, how did he became a force user and a dark side user (is a Sith?), how did Anakin's lighsaber ended in that yellow Yoda-like creature... Let's see how all this is developed in the Episode VIII.
Myrualae - Chantress of Doron Amar
Snow - Sorcery and carrots!
Gomez de Aguirre - The Fabulous Knight of the Mystic Fire
Uelaereene Sai'zzel - Once I saw the stars...
Lilly Sai'zzel - Stormy snowflake
And more...
c2k

Unread post by c2k »

freekender wrote: First the bad points.
Oh, and yes, Carrie Fisher is just horrible.
About this:
Carrie Fisher hasn't been doing anything for many years up until this movie. She wasn't even prepared to do this movie when they approached her. She's in in it for continuity sake, because if they would have cast anyone else, you would have people complaining "Hey that's not the real Leia!!" You avoid one issue and walk into another. :lol: So, with that in mind, this is more of a nitpick than the worst possible thing that could happen in this movie.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

c2k it is not the real Lea the real Lea was a Young woman
thids

Unread post by thids »

Watched this again last week, still sticking to my 6/10.

https://twitter.com/kylor3n
Kasmir

Unread post by Kasmir »

Bad - It annoyed me for the same reason that Star Trek into Darkness did - when you copy a previous story you know what is coming and that is never as appealing as being surprised. 5 times larger death star...really? This annoyed me so much I even glossed over Carrie Fisher's acting 8-) .

Good - The new young characters can actually act and I especially liked the 'rebel' stormtrooper plot. Big improvement over the originals here. Then again oscar-winning performances aren't why you watch Star Wars, right?

Potential - The whole Ren thing seemed lame at first (rubish Vader wannabe) but got much more interesting after he took his mask off and you got at least a bit of an insight into his journey (notwithstanding the fact that what happened to Solo was totally telegraphed). Most likely Disney will still take this down the 1-dimensional 'bad guy in training' route.. Just maybe they will do something more interesting - Grey jedi? Balance in the force? No I am dreaming.
----------------------------------------
Main: Zyn, Dark Elf, 5th son of House Coborel
Alt1: Kasmir deMontFalcon, fallen noble knight. Captain of The Ravens. Profile
Alt2: Indicus, genius flame-obsessed firesoul genasi magician. Member of The Phoenix Company. Profile
Alt3: Zanzer, warrior poet & chancer.
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

The gigantic deathstar is not completely unoriginal... in one of the star wars audio series there is a gigantic deathstar capable of destroying entire star systems just like in the movie. Destroying it was one of the main goals of that series. The star killer is cannon.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Kasmir

Unread post by Kasmir »

Yeah but 5 times bigger with zero impact.

"That's no moon...."
----------------------------------------
Main: Zyn, Dark Elf, 5th son of House Coborel
Alt1: Kasmir deMontFalcon, fallen noble knight. Captain of The Ravens. Profile
Alt2: Indicus, genius flame-obsessed firesoul genasi magician. Member of The Phoenix Company. Profile
Alt3: Zanzer, warrior poet & chancer.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

well who cares i mean iam more in to if the story sucks

Return to “Community”