Unread post by thids »

Lord Maximilian Blackthorne - retired
Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: The Force of this movie

Unread post by Steve »

A second chance to save the franchise!

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow »

what do you mean Steve?
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

Lockonnow wrote:what do you mean Steve?
Well, what I mean is that since Disney acquired the Star Wars brand, it has, with the Star Wars VII film, created a new franchise out of an old one (the George Lucas version).

In my opinion, being a life-long fan of Star Wars, the Star Wars VII film from last year kinda sucked eggs.

Rogue One, however, seems like it has a good chance of being made by a) better Director, b) more gritty and plausible story (wishful thinking?). I can only hope. But I was pretty impressed by the trailers of Star Wars VII, I must admit, and in the end felt rather disappointed when I walked out the theater.

So, the way I see it, Rogue One has a second chance to save this Disney version of the Star Wars franchise, from becoming a total hack piece of (#2).

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

Can't wait for Rogue One. I'm hoping it's not another Force Awakens.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Lockonnow

Steve i have never see the new star wars yet and i know from the start that the new one wil sucks all this copy thing from the old ones but it is still 30 years after the rofj so maybe we will see a new 3D CGI animated television series produced by Lucasfilm Animation.what happend with the Luke and mabe we will see darth sidious again in a clon and luke join the dark side before he make new jedi like in the dark emperor novels
Lockonnow

i have my first bet on that Rey vill became the first Empress in the galaxy
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

I finally got a chance to watch this movie and . . .

The bad
Hidden: show
Finn's character makes no sense. He is supposedly raised from birth to be a storm trooper however when he fights he always appears to be inexperienced. Whether it is a blaster, a light saber, or his fists even a half starved scavanger is better than him.

I hate the crossguard.

Another deathstar? Really!? There are more than a few points in this movie where it felt like Abrams just wanted to do a remake.

Minimal character advancement for Leia.

A few bits of poor CGI.
The good
No talking frog.

A clear villain.

A clear heroine.

Jakku looks cool with all the hulks.

Blood

Blasters look like they have more umpf and are not just going pew pew pew.
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
fearknight2003

Unread post by fearknight2003 »

V'rass wrote:Bah Darth Bane was the greatest Sith Lord. Revan may have been more powerful but Bane is the one who thought up the rule of two which allowed the Sith to (temporarily) defeat the Jedi and hold dominion over the galaxy... albeit for a short time. The fact that he single handedly wiped out the entire Sith order by himself also speaks to his power. Only the greatest could take on every dark lord and defeat them all as effortlessly as one might step on ants.
You're forgetting Emperor Vitiate, from Star Wars: The Old Republic. He's immortal and crushed the entire Dark Council on his own at one point. At 13 he killed a Dark Lord and was named a Sith Lord himself; also he ruled an entire planet.
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Never heard of that but I don't know a lot about the star-wars universe anyway. Only reason I know about Bane is cause I read the novel that details his early days and rise to power. Very good book by the way, if you like star-wars you should read it. Really showcases how Sith behave and their thought processes. If I could only remember what its title was... :?:
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
Flasmix
Associate DM

Unread post by Flasmix »

I really hated this movie. I'm not a Starwars fanboy but I enjoyed the original movies and a lot of the games.

Just... this one... rehashing A New Hope with annoying characters and eye-rolling scenes was too much for me. The movie wasn't enough to push me away from the Star Wars series completely though, what did that was the Rogue One trailer. No, not because of the female protagonist... Well, wait, kinda... but not for the reason you think.

I LOVED Dark Forces and the Jedi Knight series. With Disney proclaiming all of the EU existing outside of the official Star Wars continuity had me a bit worried. "It'll be okay," I thought. "They did this because some of the books were terrible and they even admitted that some of our favourite EU characters might come back! The Jedi Knight series was awesome, Kyle Katarn is awesome, certainly they'll write him in as a main character."

Nope, this new chick for Rogue One has taken over Kyle Katarn's legacy. The whole movie is what the first level of Dark Forces was, stealing the original Death Star plans and it's not Kyle doing it. I don't like Star Wars anymore. Gonna start calling the director G.G. Abrams because I'm out.

As for what I didn't like about the movie, here's my biggest gripes;
1) The villain was a whiny little emo baby with huge daddy/mommy issues. Admittedly, he did a great job of making me hate him because he was so annoying.

2) When Rey and Darth Emo were fighting, I had to question how this woman who has had no real training to use the Force is just magically able to over-power Darth Emo. "B-B-But Flasmix, the Force was stronger in her!" BS. Training and experience plays a huge part in everything and I cannot accept how it played out.

3) After the fight when Darth Emo was pretty much about to die and the planet was in self-destruct mode the ground OH SO CONVENIENTLY splits them apart right down the middle and allows him to get away. My eyes rolled so far into the back of my head.
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
fearknight2003

Unread post by fearknight2003 »

Flasmix wrote:I really hated this movie. I'm not a Starwars fanboy but I enjoyed the original movies and a lot of the games.

Just... this one... rehashing A New Hope with annoying characters and eye-rolling scenes was too much for me. The movie wasn't enough to push me away from the Star Wars series completely though, what did that was the Rogue One trailer. No, not because of the female protagonist... Well, wait, kinda... but not for the reason you think.

I LOVED Dark Forces and the Jedi Knight series. With Disney proclaiming all of the EU existing outside of the official Star Wars continuity had me a bit worried. "It'll be okay," I thought. "They did this because some of the books were terrible and they even admitted that some of our favourite EU characters might come back! The Jedi Knight series was awesome, Kyle Katarn is awesome, certainly they'll write him in as a main character."

Nope, this new chick for Rogue One has taken over Kyle Katarn's legacy. The whole movie is what the first level of Dark Forces was, stealing the original Death Star plans and it's not Kyle doing it. I don't like Star Wars anymore. Gonna start calling the director G.G. Abrams because I'm out.

As for what I didn't like about the movie, here's my biggest gripes;
1) The villain was a whiny little emo baby with huge daddy/mommy issues. Admittedly, he did a great job of making me hate him because he was so annoying.

2) When Rey and Darth Emo were fighting, I had to question how this woman who has had no real training to use the Force is just magically able to over-power Darth Emo. "B-B-But Flasmix, the Force was stronger in her!" BS. Training and experience plays a huge part in everything and I cannot accept how it played out.

3) After the fight when Darth Emo was pretty much about to die and the planet was in self-destruct mode the ground OH SO CONVENIENTLY splits them apart right down the middle and allows him to get away. My eyes rolled so far into the back of my head.
About your big-three spoilered complaints:
1)He wasn't that whiny, I thought. While his justification for falling to the Dark Side was a bit... shaky... he was a good villain overall.

2) Darth Emo took a laser-crossbow-bolt to the side earlier, remember? He was injured. We even saw him beating against his side to numb the pain before the fight. Also, Rey seemed to be using the Dark Side; she was pretty angry when she started winning.

3)...Yeah, that really was a contrived coincidence, wasn't it? No disagreement there.
I loved the movie all in all, though. I saw it in theater three times.
It was a fun year (I think). Bye.
Lockonnow

The bane planet not a new death star
Lockonnow

Snoke theme was in this song of iron maiden Sign of the cross intro of this song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onmlafcFFGA
Lockonnow

well i just found out that Samuel L. Jackson insists his "Star Wars" character is still alive look here http://www.cbsnews.com/news/samuel-l-ja ... ill-alive/

Return to “Community”