Stepping down!

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Ditto

Stepping down!

Unread post by DM Ditto » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:13 pm

It's been a wild three years and change, but everything has to come to an end, and starting today, I'm stepping down as HDM.

Despite the sudden announcement, I've been planning my retirement for a few months now (and the other admins have been aware of my intentions for a while). Between work, family, and other issues, something has to give, and unfortunately BGTSCC has to be one of those.

I wouldn't say being a HDM was an entirely enjoyable experience. Sure, it had its delightful moments, ones that had me laughing sometimes, but it also had its moments of heartache, difficulty, surprise, if you can name it, I've experienced some of it. I've gained friendships, (more often) lost friendships, seen the best and worst of people, questioned my faith in humanity a few times, and discovered how you can develop Stockholm Syndrome for a game client. Overall being an HDM was an experience that isn't always rainbows but it taught me many things that I will value for a long time.

I'm impressed and humbled at the sheer amount of work the developers, artists, and other staff do to keep the server running, and for you players for being the ghost in the machine and breathing life to what would otherwise be an empty world of code. Compared to the stuff you guys do for the server, my involvement is peripheral at best, but I'm grateful for the chance to see what it's like behind the scenes, and to appreciate in some small way the effort that goes on staffside to ensure that players can keep playing and having fun.

So thank you all, and be cool to each other. :dance:
Forum Rules | Server Rules | PvP Rules

Text in pink is my personal opinion and does not necessarily reflect the DM Team in general!

Endelyon
Global Admin

Re: Stepping down!

Unread post by Endelyon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:24 pm

We really couldn't have made it without you Ditto. I wish you good health, good fortune, and good fun in your future endeavors, and I hope we'll see you around playerside if nothing else.

ZestyDragon
Area Designer

Unread post by ZestyDragon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:25 pm

Thank you for all the work you have done on the servers behalf. I hope you are still sticking around as a player!. But if not see you when you return later :D.

Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:30 pm

HDMship is a largely thankless task and a vantage point from which one witnesses the best, and worst, of our playerbase. And all entirely unpaid.

I do hope you'll poke back in player-side in the future. HDMship has the habit of removing our favorite players/DMs from action for extended periods.

Thank you for volunteering for so long.
Mae yr Machshikhah - Pryat of Helm [Bio] [A Pryat's Prayers] [Active]
Schezalle - The Black Claws Baeqeshel [Bio] [Black Claws Emporium] [Hiatus]
Araphella - Whispers of Oblivion [Bio] [Retired]
Aeili Azenci - Baelnorn of Mystra [Deceased]

Tekill
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Tekill » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Thank you for your hard work. :clap:
No doubt, the DM cheque, is in the mail. :happy-smileygiantred:
Until then, I humbly present you with this -> :occasion-gift:
Tek Knotwise Sneak
Krackit Cragborn UD
Jebedoah Grimm GOOD
Shunasassi Immeril Pretty Elf in a Pretty Dress

DM Omega

Unread post by DM Omega » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Thanks for everything you done ditto. Wishing you all the best in your future antics!
"Don't fear failure. Not failure, but low aim is the crime. In great attempts it is glorious even to fail"

Maecius
Global Admin

Unread post by Maecius » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:39 pm

Thank you for all your efforts, Ditto. I've said most of what needed to be said privately, but I want it acknowledged publicly that you were a great force for good here -- and a constant friend, both to me, personally, and to the server and its players.

As you say, myself and several others have known about this for many weeks now. But it doesn't make it easier to see you go. I hope you'll enjoy a very well-earned break, though, (if I remember it accurately, it's like the weight of the world's been lifted off your shoulders!), and return to us as a player once you are revitalized.

:D Or once the Stockholm Syndrome sets in again anyway.

Lockonnow

Unread post by Lockonnow » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:59 pm

I know this day will come i just feel in the air well any way good fortune out there

Charraj
Retired Head DM

Unread post by Charraj » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:46 pm

Enjoy your freedom! ;)
Tabby - Hedge witch, former bandit.
Charraj Cain - Mystran. Dead.
DM Mister Rogers - It's such a good feeling to know that we're lifelong friends.

DM Boo
Head DM

Unread post by DM Boo » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:30 am

Sad to see you go. Thanks for stepping up when no one else would. :cry:
2014, 2017 Campaign Coordinator
"Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes!"

Valefort
Lead Programmer

Unread post by Valefort » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:39 am

Thank you for doing this for so long Ditto, you can now avoid your forum inbox freely :D
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler

Zanniej
Forum Developer, Lead Moderator

Unread post by Zanniej » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:19 am

Thanks for all your time and effort! It's been a joy watching you do your thing! :-D

Enjoy the empty inbox. If you ever start to miss that, let me know, and I'll make sure you get some more daily messages in your inbox :lol:
"May the forums be ever in your favor."
"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much"
- Oscar Wilde
Now you see me ... now you don't

Empoweredfan

Unread post by Empoweredfan » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:40 am

Thank you for doing the job for as long as you did Ditto. Sad to see you go, but happy for you as well. See you player side. =)
Nawiel: Stubborn woodpecker from the deep.
- "Responsibility is a curse, importance, an illusion."

Deleniel Vanaer: Wood Elven Sor. . . cook.

If you put your foot in your mouth. . . don't start walking. . .

kleomenes
Recognized Donor

Unread post by kleomenes » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:17 am

Heartfelt thanks for doing the unenviable yet very necessary task, Ditto. You've had a long run, and I see familiarity in every word of your post above. All the best, and I hope you get to enjoy yourself playerside!
Characters:
Mel Darenda, Board Member of the Golden Wheel - Amnian Coin
Daug'aonar, Bregan D'aerthe Master of Hounds - Loyal
Cynric, Chief of the Greyfox - Seeking the Salt Shaman
Ameris Santraeger, Cleric of Ilmater, Harper, & Peacock - New Father!

chad878262
Quality Control

Unread post by chad878262 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:53 am

I'm sorry to hear so much of what you do as HDM is so painful to deal with. Sorry, but not surprised I guess. Thank you for doing it for so long for all of us Ditto! Happy trails and safe journeys, wherever life takes you!
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands