Video-card issues?

Off-Topic Community Conversations and Discussions

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Zanniej
Barn manager

Video-card issues?

Unread post by Zanniej »

So, recently I'm starting to get some issues with NWN2. The game crashes, occasionally taking my entire computer along with it. The screen flickers, and the client extension tells me: "Nwn2mainVectoredExceptionHandler: Attempting to recover from video driver TDR error (video driver fault)..."

I've looked up the TDR error, and most people say that it's just blaming your videocard (driver) for an issue elsewhere.
What I've done so far:
  • Set the TdrLevel to 3
  • Set the TdrDelay to 8
  • Update videocard drivers
Next step is probably getting some canned air, and blow out the inside of my PC. But still ... Anyone any clue or other suggestions as to the cause of this? :think:

The card is a GTX 770, by the way. Not the newest, but should easily be able to handle NWN2, I reckon :lol:
It's an old card though, so maybe it's just done...? (I hope not)
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
Keeping a close eye on the Server Finances.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: Video-card issues?

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

Are the temperatures normal?
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

I think I killed it while trying to check.
Now my GeForce Experience program claims my pc is not suitable for the program I already had installed... :(
And I'm stuck at 1024x786 ... instead of 3 monitors at 1920x1080.

Then again, I seem to also be unable to put my PC in sleepmode, since this debacle :think:
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
Barn Manager: We do not have a barn, nor anyone in there to manage... yet here I am!
Server Owner & former Global Admin. Still always around (and still playing), but not as involved.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

It is very simple to check the temps with an app such as https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
It sounds like either the card is overheating or - worst case scenario - a chip is cooked. Knowing the temperatures are high, can let you know whether the card can be salvaged with things like blowing the dust away - very simple to do - or replacing the thermal paste and the thermal pads that sit between the chips and the GPU cooler

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

When it just died, it was at 82 degrees (celcius)
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

I think my graphics card is cooked as well. I logged in and that is what I came up with :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rhifox
Retired Admin (Acting Assistant Admin)

Unread post by Rhifox »

mrm3ntalist wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:52 pm I think my graphics card is cooked as well. I logged in and that is what I came up with :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's just Time of Troubles weather, not a graphics issue.

Zann, it's probably overheating, I had similar issues. NWN2 will just spin your card up to max if you don't limit the frames, which can cook it and cause crashes. I don't remember the exact steps I took, but you can try fixing it by limiting the FPS NWN2 is allowed to run at. It can still be above 60, just cap it at like 150 or whatever.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
Ghost
Global Admin

Unread post by Ghost »

Rhifox wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:00 pm Zann, it's probably overheating, I had similar issues. NWN2 will just spin your card up to max if you don't limit the frames, which can cook it and cause crashes. I don't remember the exact steps I took, but you can try fixing it by limiting the FPS NWN2 is allowed to run at. It can still be above 60, just cap it at like 150 or whatever.
I would be interesting in learning how to do this. Vsync did not seem to reduce the temperature.
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

RivaTunerStatistics Server can supply FPS limiters in windowed mode and fullscreen, whereas vsync requires fullscreen and matches the refresh rate.

For RP I tend to set it to 8 FPS (going lower subjects the game client to miss the network message frames and you'll not receive event updates, or even messages from players).

ValerieJean's mobile 980 throws TDRs since the latest updates, and with a lot more polys needing rendered (some hair models have more vertices than an entire house) from content updates the laptop spins its wheels and the system throws those same TDRs. Frame limiting and dialing back on the draw distance helped prevent the gpu from locking up at 100% all the time and creating this issue.
Styrbjorn
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Styrbjorn »

I must try this too. My GPU GTX 3060 sounds like an old modem 56 kbps connecting to BGTSCC. Funny enough the GPU buzzing plays a few notes of the beginning of Star Wars theme ... 8-)

Searching for RIVATuner.
Game user name: Tursas.
Zanniej
Barn manager

Unread post by Zanniej »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:00 pm RivaTunerStatistics Server can supply FPS limiters in windowed mode and fullscreen, whereas vsync requires fullscreen and matches the refresh rate.

For RP I tend to set it to 8 FPS (going lower subjects the game client to miss the network message frames and you'll not receive event updates, or even messages from players).

ValerieJean's mobile 980 throws TDRs since the latest updates, and with a lot more polys needing rendered (some hair models have more vertices than an entire house) from content updates the laptop spins its wheels and the system throws those same TDRs. Frame limiting and dialing back on the draw distance helped prevent the gpu from locking up at 100% all the time and creating this issue.
That's sick! The uncapped FPS is insane!
Thanks for this tip. It was too late for my old card, as that one burned, I fear. But at least this should save my new card.
Zanniej
(Zahn-nie)

Return to “Community”