Karond's Item Guide (Or, Did I find something good???)

Gameplay Mechanics Explained and Helpful Advice on Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderator

Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff

Re: Karond's Item Guide (Or, Did I find something good???)

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

Use per day items are useful and their price can go up to ridiculous numbers simply because they are a way to reduce clutter in the inventory and not bother investing in UMD necessary to use the scroll version of it. However, they all have limit to their usefulness: each use per day property has a fixed caster level which, in some cases makes it not a very worthwhile investment. (off the top of my head:

In that particular case, I would say someone overpaid because blackforest's Protection of Alignment has CL of 3 which doesn't last long and you can get a scroll with same properties for less than 50 GP as far as I remember.

On the other hand, that very same staff has negative energy visual effect which might have been the sole reason someone bought it :mrgreen:
Karond

Unread post by Karond »

The server had a very limited amount of buffs on items when this guide was written, because frankly, buffs on items tend to be too powerful and makes spellcasting a bit redundant. Items like the helmet of greater alignment have 3 castings of protection from alignment (5), which corresponds to 3*25 minutes of mind immunity against evil or good. It's easy to see how this can be broken, as it approaches a regular mind immunity ability, and regular immunities were removed due to balance concerns.

Items like that would not have gone through QC, I believe, if they had been asked on the matter. But there it is, uses per day items will become very valuable as long as they're buffs. Especially so while the dispel bug remains in place.
ozmiz

Unread post by ozmiz »

Couple of questions then..
What is the Blackforest Staff 'really' worth, and for that matter the Helmet of Alignment you mentioned?

And what is the dispel bug?
Eclypticon

Unread post by Eclypticon »

ozmiz wrote:. . .
And what is the dispel bug?
The dispel bug takes your character level and counts it as your caster level. So, a 20 fighter 10 Wizard, counts as a level 30 caster and cannot be dispelled by GD. UMD users also get the same deal. This bug is going to be fixed.
Thorsson

Unread post by Thorsson »

Mind you it has been "going to be fixed" for a long time now. Do we even have a fix, let alone have it tested or ready to upload?
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
ctothep

Unread post by ctothep »

Bump

i think this thread should be stickied !
Characters:

Zaraun - Vhaeraunite Deathsinger, School of Illusions and Phantasm

Retired Characters:

Iston - Lost within the void ... (deceased)
Moridin
Custom Content

Unread post by Moridin »

I agree, It is quite useful!
Characters:
Lomith Dy'nesen Journal
Eclypticon

Unread post by Eclypticon »

*bumping*
V'rass

Unread post by V'rass »

Excellent post... now when i go to sell stuff i can ensure i get what they are worth instead of potentially being cheated. Not saying anyone has mind you but it could happen one day.
"To understand magic one must first understand magic."

Agathion Benedictus: Holy Priest. Retired for now.
Tiax Rules-All: Gnomish madman. Retired permanently.
Exordius Vrass: Cleric/Mage. Currently active.
amber91

Unread post by amber91 »

Hello,

I'm considering starting on this server. I was wondering, are items on this server generated randomly with random stats, or are they predefined from a loot table?

Do vanilla items exist? Such as:
Belt of Agility +4 w/ Freedom of Movement or
Boots of the Stalwart Defender (Immunity: Miscellaneous Knockdown, Bonus Hitpoints: +20,
Regeneration: + 1)

Are there also bags of holding/containers that reduce weight?

Thanks!
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

BGTSCC has both systems with a few major caveats: +4 Enhancement bonus maximum on items, no immunity properties at all except for elemental (acid, cold, electrical, fire, sonic) damage and random-gen spell immunities (eg. you might find a random gen item with Spell Immunity: Magic Missile, very handy!). +1 Regeneration can only be found on cloaks (store, reliably and easily obtained) and certain incredibly rare rings & armour. Quite a lot of standard 'table loot' has been modified to these major criteria (and there are other criteria besides).

Just recently select +4 stat items were added to certain shops so it is possible to build for those too (+4 Dex; +4 Int; +4 Wis but with -1 Str and gnome/UMD only)

There are also no bags of holding but the server is running persistent storage/banking which works just as well for putting keepsakes aside.
J.006

Unread post by J.006 »

how much about +4 abliity on clock or ring or bracer?
eg. +4wis cloak.
Characters:
Artoria Pendragon - Paladin of Torm
Ravness Loxaerion - Bladesinger of Corellon Larethian
Theodore01
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Theodore01 »

It depends on the item slot. (On boots or a weapon not so much without other useful properties.)

A +4 Wis item starts at 500k+ probably much more for a ring/bracer, a bit less for a cloak.

Wouldn't trade it for just coin, as you can probably get a bunch of nice items for such a piece if you are patient and wait for the right buyer.
J.006

Unread post by J.006 »

Theodore01 wrote:It depends on the item slot. (On boots or a weapon not so much without other useful properties.)

A +4 Wis item starts at 500k+ probably much more for a ring/bracer, a bit less for a cloak.

Wouldn't trade it for just coin, as you can probably get a bunch of nice items for such a piece if you are patient and wait for the right buyer.
I agree.Grind 2 year for me , only got two +4 ability item..the drop rate is poor.:(
Characters:
Artoria Pendragon - Paladin of Torm
Ravness Loxaerion - Bladesinger of Corellon Larethian

Return to “Gameplay Guides”