Formal Letters to the Dukes of Baldurs Gate

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Steve
Recognized Donor

Re: Formal Letters to the Dukes of Baldurs Gate

Unread post by Steve »

A scroll arrives to the Ducal Palace, bearing seal from the Whistling Wanderess. It looks official, wax pressed with the symbol of seagull flying over waves.

Dukes One and All—

Baldur's Gate is many things, but by right and reason, it is first and foremost a port, a harbor, shipping and shaping the mercantile flow from north to south along the Sword Coast. That sits in jeopardy, shall truth be told. Let it not be we that tells you what you do not already now—without vessels of merit and supreme sea-worthiness, the harbors use is lessened...even weak, one could wonder in argument.

That shall nay'er be, if the Whistling Wanderess is active. And that she be, fitted and fit for sail upon sea or river...and this not be a surprise, we the crew reckon, as recent events themselves have shown the Wanderess to be in needed service by your Seated selves.

It be not just ship, but Crew, that aids in the needs of this harbor. Lest ye forget in this dire times, the Whistling Wanderess is prepared to turn the tides *there is an ink blotch here on the parchment, as if the writer experienced a sort of fit, maybe associated with laughter*...

What we inform ye of is the Wanderess will act when times show it necessary. Shall she set sail for the cause, requires yer blessing, or decree, or what ever ye must do. A sailor of salt knows how to read the weather...and the clouds are brewing strong.

The Crew

The tone of the letter is sincere, but obvious to the the administration, written in one voice, though signed as if by group.

/// memory jogging references

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 94&start=2

http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... 4&start=33

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
TheTwiste11491

Unread post by TheTwiste11491 »

*Greil Nightgale arrives at the Palace with a letter in hand searching out someone who will deliver the letter to the dukes*

Greetings most Esteemed Dukes,

The Ebon Blade Mercenary Company sends its regards in these most trying times.We would like to lend our expertise against this mounting undead threat. In return we only ask to be included into the war council so that we may know our enemy instead of charging in blindly. We patiently await your reply at the Elf Song Taveren Within the confines of your fine city.

Signed Greil Nightgale Captain of the Ebon Blade.
Greil Nightgale Captain of the Ebon Blade
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

A rather flustered, blue-robed elf entered the Flaming Fist Headquarters in the Docks district with a rather urgent report. She wrote down her account to be handed on to the War Council, something she was unaware existed until that moment.
"Dear Honoured Dukes of Baldur's Gate, and all those involved in planning for the coming threat,

I bring dire news of Talonite Cultists beginning to harass merchants and travellers upon the Trade Way just to the west of the Sharp Teeth woods, demanding their conversion to Talona and for them to be infected with whatever vileness the cult is hoping to spread across the Sword Coast.

I, Aeili Azenci, Priestess of Mystra, was part of a band of adventurers who managed to suppress one of their raiding parties on a section of the Trade Way just to the north of the Friendly Arm Inn, in addition to a large number of vile flying creatures.

As a resident of En Dharasha Everae I am aware of plans to fight the cultists in the forest. Our time to act is quickly running out. Soon the main undead force will be moving towards the Chionthar, and after that to Baldur's Gate. Cultist infiltrators may also be travelling the Trade Way in preparation for the army's advance. If there was ever an occasion to increase security measures over Wyrm's Crossing, now is the time to do it. If there was ever a time to get the Fist Battalions on the move, it is now.

May the Gods guide our victory over these abominations.

Signed and sealed,

Priestess Aeili Azenci."
seawied

Unread post by seawied »

*Kana Goodheart, ranger, hands a request for the dukes.*

Honorable Dukes of Baldur's Gate,
The Talonites grow much bolder with their attacks. Their cultist marched on the road north of the Friendly Arm Inn in mass numbers. Their brazen presence demands a response.
Word spread and adventurers gathered to rally in response, pushing the cultists back. They brought a monster I had not seen before. Hundreds of flying deathly bats that spread disease everywhere. The battle was fierce, but good prevailed.

Things got interesting from there. We came across a clan of orcs pushed back from their lands into the tradeway. Orcish is one of the many tongues I know, and I was able to talk to them. This orc tribe had been pushed from their lands in the east. They offered a truce to us during the undead plight.

This truce would have been highly advantageous to the citizens of Baldur's Gate. We would have had brutal warriors to fight with us, rather than having to worry about fighting two factions independently. The orcs wanted to solidify the truce with an a fight involving the orc chief, an orc on our side named Tek, myself, and an idiot warrior by the name of Jach who thrust himself into the middle of this diplomatic situation.

My family has dealt with orcs extensively in the past. My parents were merchants that had developed an understanding with the orc tribes in the north. Orcs are simple: duels are fought with straight combat and no trickery. They value brute strength above anything else.

I mention this because, while Tek and I understood this obvious principle, the fool Jach decided he could not handle the Orc through straight combat alone. Jach used magic to kill the orc, upsetting the entire clan. This resulted in a bloodbath. None of the orcs survived.

Our hopes of securing extra muscle to fight the true enemy of the cultist was dashed all because of an individual imbecile.

One last thing of note: after the battle, there were many animals fleeing from the west. I tried to communicate with them but they were too terrified to respond. Deer, badgers, and birds all left their homes. As a ranger, I can tell you this can only mean one thing: an evil force has caused them to abandon their homes.

Our enemies gather southeast of Baldur's Gate.

Sincerely,
Kana Goodheart
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

LISA100595 wrote:
DM Dialectic wrote:After some rumored effective War Council back room diplomacy, the Grand Dukes of Baldur's Gate release a statement to the public and the War Council that their squabble with the War Council has been set aside and that they will be making additional deployments of soldiers to the Flaming Fist outpost in the Woods of Sharpteeth. Not waiting on what was previously proposed recommendation that the War Council deploy these soldiers, the Dukes order the 51 soldiers of the the impressive Blacktalons Mercenary Company, including their giant of a man leader Taurgosz "Tenhammer" Kosann, and hired by the Dukes with a loan brokered by the Sword Coast Commercial Exchange, to ride from Iriaebor to the Sharpteeth outpost with maximum haste as well as a platoon more of Flaming Fist Mercenary Company soldiers that make way by foot, with some higher Flaming Fist leadership possibly joining them and the already arrived skeletal Flaming Fist force in the field, making a company sized contingent of Flaming Fist at the outpost if all were to arrive on time.

Whether these reinforcements will be late for the coming battle or not remains to be seen, so logistical help is requested of the War Council and its assets. The Dukes tell the War Council that these are all the soldiers that Baldur's Gate and the Flaming Fist can quickly deploy given rumors that the undead commander known as the General may soon be marching once more from the north and this pressure and the chance that the outpost battle is lost causing need to leave many Flaming Fist at home in the city to defend it.

//Let me know if any transportation assets would be used to help get these NPCs to the battlefield in time. Thanks for your political RP on the fallout with the Dukes!//

*Lady Elvina offers to pay for a Caravan or teleportation costs, as she herself teleported a small company, General Scar included, during the Black Orc War, courtesy of the Order of the Silver Rose to help get the soldiers to the Outpost in time.*

(( Please let me know the cost of purchasing a Caravan for transport or Teleportation costs :)

(( are we still having the meeting with the Dukes event today / this afternoon?

Acting Captain Hoihe Dacino, hearing these rumours, takes it upon himself to pen a letter and personally deliver it to the Ducal Palace. He also writes a copy of it, which he nails to the Captain's Door on the Wanderess

"Esteemed Duke Eltan, Of Baldur's Gate, of Flaming Fist.

I write to you upon the news of the martial deployment to the Sharpteeth Outpost. I will be short in my letter, to not waste your time.

As the Acting Captain of the Whistling Wanderess, bestowed this position rightfully by the Ducally recognized Captain Mealir Ostirel of the Whistling Wanderess, I offer to assist in the logistics of deployment.

I offer my ship, of course sailed by my crew and under my command, to transport your troops to the battlefield in a swift and hasty manner. Comfortably, I can take with me forty men. However, forgoing comfort and removing some long term voyage supplies from cargo, I think I can fit 15 more on board while still retaining room for their armaments.

Although I am sure you have heard of the Whistling Wanderess by now, with our proven service to Duchess Jiaa and in our swift and decisive victory over the Vitrous Soil's leader - Lady Vernossa in a battle of sail, I still wish to provide you with some specifications, so you can better consider the offer.

The Whistling Wanderess is a custom caravel, with three masts - a mizzen, a main and a fore, not counting the bowspirit. We sail beneath a mix of lateen and square-rigged sails, allowing us exceptional mobility for our ship size. We're also rather swift, especially when we put the construction of the ship to a test, always tacking the best wind and shortest past, even if it means a heavy and wild jib. Of course, by your order we can also sail more carefully, but I wish to let you know that we can run the distance very swiftly, swifter than most ships of our size and seaworthiness can. Indeed, should the Undead even think of stopping us, our bulwark is more than capable of just brazing through their blockade without stopping - unless of course engagement of disruptions is requested.

At your people's service,
Acting-Captain Hoihe Dacino of the Whistling Wanderess, of Doron Amar

"
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Mendoza

Unread post by Mendoza »

A letter is penned in formal script upon a high quality piece of parchment, it being secured with emerald green wax bearing the seal of a great lion (those familiar would notice the symbol as that of the nature god Nobanion). The delivery was made by a man in fine, black and gold enameled armor. He informs the attendant that he may be reached at the Friendly Arm Inn, should the Dukes offer a response.

With the encroaching undead Horde threatening your fine city, the Lion Blades of Nobanion out of the Guthmere Forest have decided to send an Initiate to assist in your struggle. We are few in number and offer sincere regret in not being able to offer additional assistance.

All Initiates must undergo the Rite of the Noble Hunt, a pilgrimage of sorts that, we pray, will test the Initiate's faith and training to the very limit. The Elders determine an area of Faerun in dire need and disperse Initiates to these locations. As soon as we received word of your troubles, we dispatched Dorne, one of our most promising potential members. We ask that you make use of him in whatever capacity you see fit. As our name implies, he is skilled in the art of battle and is a capable swordsman. However, we will not deign to presume the capacity he should be utilized. We only ask that you make use of him. You may very well be surprised at his usefulness, or so we pray.

Should you find that he does not perform his duties in a satisfactory manner, we ask that you send word to us. As no Initiate shall be granted admission among our sacred ranks when they have failed in this Rite. We offer our prayers to your noble cause and hope you succeed in defeating the enemy that threatens your home.

May Nobanion's wisdom guide you along a righteous path in these troubling times,

Signed and sealed,

Elder Lion Blades of Nobanion
Dorne - Lion Blade of Nobanion -- [Journal]|[Bio]
Tristan Ebonhawk - Deceased. Misunderstood Ex-War Wizard
Igneous Ironside - Retired. Bear Warrior of Krak Helzak
Unka_Oogie

Unread post by Unka_Oogie »

A scrawl on the back of a tattered placard once used to advertise ale somehow makes it into the Duke's correspondence.

Dear Mister Duke:

Is it really too much to ask that wood scraps that won't be used be free to gather by the poor for a bit of fuel? It's left over from rebuilding the fine, lovely buildings of the city, old scaffold bits, bent bits, muddy and damp stuff. Scrap men won't even gather it to sell. So what is wrong with letting the poor just clean it up so they can have a little warmth?

Hugs and Kisses,

Monk Tarlu at Ilmater's Temple

PS: I am usually in the kitchen or doing laundry if you want to come over and talk about this.
finneas

Unread post by finneas »

*A bald, bearded pilgrim, clad simply delivers a carefully written missive to the clerk, asking it to be presented to the dukes.*

News of the recent war has reached the ears of The Most Radiant in the City of Splendors. The Spires of the Morning in Waterdeep has seen fit to reallocate resources in light of your recent troubles with the wakened dead. I have recently begun my pilgrimage to your lands and wish to give good greeting and introduction. As there is no temple to Lathander, may His radiance be upon us forever, within the city proper I will be continuing south to Beregost in hopes of residing with the faithful of the dawn there. Have no doubt that the grace of the Lord of Light extends to all of the Lord's Alliance, moreso given the recent perils. Should you have need of this humble servant to the Lord of the Morning, you have but to ask.

May the blessings of the dawn be upon us all,

Pilgrim to the Lord of Light, His eternal radiance, Lathander

Kellan Armstrong
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway
The Fox's Bio
Kellan Armstrong's Bio
sweetlikesplenda

Unread post by sweetlikesplenda »

A courier is dispatched from Pathfinder Hall to deliver a report to the Palace

Esteemed Grand Duchess and Dukes

During the recent Ducal meeting I spoke on the topic of a threat undead may pose to the city from below. On the 21st of Mirtul members from several Orders meet to scout this threat in an effort to inform your Graces of what lay below. Honorable men and women from the Order of Lions, Temple of Lathander, The Order of the Silver Rose, The Order of the Radiant Heart, and the Everwatch Knights gathered and descended below the city on a mission of discovery.

Our expedition felt it best to search the uncovered city first. As we made our way below the sewers we were met with severe resistance from undead forces. We were stalled at several junctions in what I felt was a diversion to buy time and prepare for our coming. Our forces battled through a range of undead thrown at us ranging from powerful undead seen at the battle for the city months earlier, to undead foes that had perished very recently. To our dismay, some of the felled undead could be identified as members of the city that had recently gone missing during and shortly after the attack on the city. The temple of Ilmater is seeing to the recovery of some of the bodies and will be giving the fallen members of the city proper rights and burial.

In the depths of the city below our scouts discovered a Lich holding council with a powerful Vampire. Through their observations they discovered the Lich’s Phylactery was located in the same room the Lich was holding council. A plan was devised and executed well by all present. In the end, then Lich and its guards were bested and its Phylactery was destroyed, ending its threat permanently.

Part of the plan to gain better positioning for the confrontation, included distracting the Lich with discussion. During the interrogation of the Lich to discover its goal in creating this army of undead, it referred to itself as ‘Blightborn’, a minion of the Blight that attacked the city in the undead invasion. It did not seem to know of the fate of the undead army; as it was singularly focused on creating an army of undead from below to continue the work the Blight was conducting before being destroyed.

In the end the undead army and the Lich that created it were destroyed. Though, it should be noted that during the battle the vampire escaped using magical means. Its location is unknown and the city should be alert for signs of it, in case the vampire lingers in the vicinity of the city. Should any further information be discovered, I will send word to keep you informed.

Aaron Lyonaler

(Under his signature is the imprint of the Lyonaler family; a shield depicting a lion standing before two crossed swords, with two small ships to each side of the lion.)
Aaron Lyonaler - Favored Soul of The Red Knight, Grand Knight of the Radiant Heart, Advisor to Duke Eltan, Order of Lions Member
Bio, Journal

"A proper example is a greater weapon for Good than the sword."
-Aaron Lyonaler
Steve
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Steve »

A man in blue cloth arrives at the gate of the Ducal Palace. In order to enter the reception of the edifice, he openly states to the guard that he bears a letter to the Dukes, or, any that would officially represent them.

The man in blue progresses as far as he may, until he either finds himself or is directed to, another being that seems fully in the capacity of an official to the Court, and that he may bring his letter.

When the moment presents itself, he speaks:

"I have come saying that I bear you a letter to the Dukes, but the truth is that I bring words spoken, not written, to be heard by the Dukes. Though...I do not expect an audience, and I will then say this letter of sound to you, good person, with the trust that in your official role, it will be brought before them or the lesser official with rank in which to respond.

My name is Dhavel, the Wayfarer, as I am called, within my faith. That is, as must be told, the path to purification found in the mystery and wisdom of the Water Lord, Istishia. What is learned and what is given, in this faith, is the greatest of all knowledge...that the cycles of life are mirrored by the cycles of fate, and that we all shall pay the price or reap the reward, by the actions of our past...and our future.

And it is the future that I come to speak to you of, ye that lay watch over this city. It is, unless my months of direct search and query have led me upon a false path, it is a city without any honor shown in physical form, to the Water Lord, the God-King of the greatest of elements. And it is a great pity, that He that slowly gives not only wisdom each moment of time that pasts, but life, yes...Life. Without water, there would be nothing. And for such a city-state as named Baldur's Gate, you must understand this great and relative wisdom, as so much of its existence is born upon the water's edge.

So the future I come to discuss is one where a honoring to the Water Lord is placed within the City, as quickly as fortune may afford it. I, Dhavel the Wayfarer, have collected through sale of artifacts of the Water Lord and a great donation by a merchant within the Gate, a total of eight thousand coins of the realm, from which to fund such a honoring...a shrine, we can call it.

For this future to manifest, I come to ask your Court to author an official sanction to the construction of such a shrine. If it would please the Dukes, as one of the faith, I would offer my services and knowledge for the correct manifestation of this shrine, for no wage returned—I am duty bound to follow the path set before me.

Now please, consider this request in the shortest time that the scribes and officials may take. And with your sanction, any guide or limits that is set to enact a holy shrine within the Gate, do send along with your answer, so that this may manifest with the least resistance.

And your response may be received, by myself...who still continues a small trade of artifacts in rare gems, in the market of the East District."

The man in blue cloth, Dhavel the Wayfarer, takes recognition from the listener to his spoken letter, and once satisfied that it has been recorded by a means to be passed on, he takes his leave of the entry.

ARTHAYER ZORASTRYL — A Magistrati & Magefriend [Bio] * [The Wanderings of...]
PANLOS PAWFOOT — The Essential Nature of...
ERMMAR STONESORROW — Cavestalker of the Darkshard Deviants. Herb Trader.
Ithilan

Unread post by Ithilan »

Shandril skips along the road in the palace district humming a joyful melody as she makes her way for the Duchal Palace. Greeting the guards with a kind smile and approaching the steward she performs an elegant curtsey with great routine and hands him a rolled up parchment bearing the seal of the Moonmaiden's devout.
11th Eleasis, 1352 DR

Most Honorable Dukes and Duchess of Baldurs Gate.

I beg forgiveness for this precarious inquiry and inarticulate manner of my writing.
My name is Shandril Brightmantle and I implore you consider approval of the business I proclaim to you my Lords and Lady.

For though the impoverished are beset with fear, doubt and impiety in the wake of the recent atrocious acts of a deranged individual, there are many whom will not suffer this degradation of society through intimidation.

Prior to the incident I have made arrangements, and a legally binding contract, with one exceptional baker named Nathan Fryar, to finance the upstart of a bakery amid your glorious city.

My personal incitiment and part of the contract, is to procure a steady supply of bread for the orphans of the city, and an occasional delivery of delicacies to sweeten their existence, with said delivery to occur twice a tenday.

Thus I would inquire of any available establishment for rent in order to proceed with this charitable project and hopefuly inspire others to stand as an ardent example in spite of this madman.

Most humbly yours
~Shandril Brightmantle
Shandril Brightmantle
"Life is but a mystery to revel in, let the stars guide you through the mist."
Lia'Dris Maendellyn
"We remember cities now in ruin and forests murdered, yet still we sing to the stars and hope for renewal."
LISA100595
Retired Staff

Unread post by LISA100595 »

*Lady Elvina sends a sealed private letter to the Dukes of Baldur's Gate.*(( pm forthcoming
Lady Elvina Aira-S'efarro - The Order of the Silver Rose
Salaria - Bounty Hunter half-sister of Darius Brothers
Angelina Northstar - Holy Warrior of Tyr / Knight of the Silver Rose
Matilda Stonehold - Honorable Sheild Dwarf
Loriah Swift - Morninglord of Lathander
Tantive

Unread post by Tantive »

A messenger arrived in the morn with a missive for the Grand Dukes of Baldurs Gate. The scroll bore a red wax seal with the sigil of Doron Amar.
TarnishedSoul
Retired Staff

Unread post by TarnishedSoul »

A sealed missive addressed to "The Council of Four" arrives at the Ducal Palace of Baldur's Gate.
The point of origin is listed as "Guide's Office, Candlekeep."
Boo

Unread post by Boo »

A messenger arrives at the palace carrying the banner of the Inquisition. He delivers a letter for the Dukes……………

Your graces,

The Inquisition seeks an audience with you or one of your representatives. As you might have seen in the last tenday or so many of our Inquisitors have been in your city. We have come to the region on behalf of the High Radiance of Waterdeep. Knowing this, you must also be aware of how the Spires of the Morning temple, the seat of the High Radiance, has a prominent place in the eyes of Lords of Waterdeep. As of such, we wish as representatives of Waterdeep to conduct ourselves according to the dictates of the just laws that you have promulgated. In stating this, we wish to petition you for your seal of diplomatic immunity as we conduct our investigation in the region. We are seeking what we believe to be a threat to the stability of your city and surrounding lands. This threat has become known to us as one who calls itself the Master. It would be in your good interest to allow us to conduct our work here without the burdens that accompany legal procedures in order to end this threat immediately. I as acting Grandmaster of the Inquisition have no doubts that you will treat this request with the greatest of prudence. We Inquisitors are currently stationed in Beregost on the temple grounds of the Song of the Morning. Please send any correspondence to use there.

Long may you live,
Ildar Drakbiter
Grandmaster of the Inquisition.
Ildar Drakebiter
Dawnknight of the Order of the Aster
Grandmaster of the Inquisition
bio: http://www.bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... ilit=ildar

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”