Candlekeep Public Collection Reference

In-Character News, Laws, Announcements, Rumors, and Stories Relating to the Sword Coast

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Re: Candlekeep Public Collection Reference

Unread post by Almarea90 »

Back to the index
Jarah the Giant Slayer - Written by Aster Merigold. Donated by Reader Tarina

A darkened man of handsome girth, a beard black as coal, and eyes that pierce with the fierceness of a sandstorm. Of whirling wits and handsomeness. Of course...

Fair reader, this is the tale of Jarah, the Giant Slayer.

Many a warrior has fallen prey, to Grugnash, the Devourer. A giant known throughout the coast. Teeth like blunted stones, reeking of rotten flesh. Wielding a club as he did, a club the size of a fur tree, and wearing armour crafted from the bones of poor, unfortunate travellers.

None could defeat him, not the knights of the Radiant Heart, or the mighty Flaming Fist, all fell in just one swing of his mighty club. That was until... he met Jarah. The man from Calimshan.

The peasants they pleaded, the women they lamented their lost, eaten husbands. "Who will ever rid us of this scourge!?" They said.

Jarah, his golden armour, the colour of the desert sun, appeared before them: "I will" was all he spoke... and all he needed to.

The force of his mere presence alone, struck them with awe. The women, hands on their chests fell over each other at his striking, handsome appearance.

So Jarah then marched out toward Grugnash's lair, sword in hand to challenge this fiend, this destroyer of men. Devourer of herds. As he approached, the massive, hulking giant laughed "Who dares approach me?!" He spoke, his voice like the pounding of hammer on anvil.

"I am Jarah, and you will meet your end" He stared the giant in the eyes. Grugnash, he stared back.

At least... everyone had always thought Grugnash a "he" but it turns out... they thought wrong. For Grugnash, was in fact, a queen of giants! To Jarah's surprise.

It was then, that Grugnash looked deep into Jarah's eyes, and Jarah, into hers that the battle began.

The giant, overcome with sudden arousal at the appearance of such a striking and overwhelmingly handsome fellow, immediately dropped her infamous club, falling to her knees. "I have never seen a man so mighty! Or so manly!" she exclaimed.

Jarah, sheathing his blade and tossing his cloak, armour... and shirt, aside, grinned. "I know. And now I shall slay thee!" It was then, that Grugnash in a fit of passionate fury, tore her clothing asunder, and flung herself back, waiting with excitement for the slaying of her life.

"Rahh!" the fearsome warrior of Calimshan roared! Filling the land with a fierce echo. He charged forward, tossing aside his weapons and clothes, but unsheathing... his "sword". So impressive was his weapon, that Grugnash nearly wept.

They rolled, they tumbled, they pierced and penetrated! The slaying lasted for several days without rest, but in the end, Jarah, had been victorious. So utterly defeated and worn was the giant queen, that she left the Sword Coast in a dazed stupor, never to return.

When Jarah returned to the city, the farmers cried out "Our Hero has returned! Unscathed, no less!" They cheered, and had a great feast in his honour. The maidens draping themselves upon his person in glee, hoping to each be one to sire his mighty seed. All of them, of course, did.

So ends, my enraptured reader, is the tale of Jarah, the Giant Slayer. A name earned, and echo'd now through the halls of time immaterial. Hero of the people of the Sword Coast. He lives on, for his next adventure... whatever that may be...
Back to the index
Edelgarde Spades - Guide of Candlekeep and Deneirrath priest, still a Disney princess in the wrong tale.

Gleam of the Firefly - In your darkest hour, look for the firefly

Auntie Ed's Wands(TM): Saving the Coast one Protection from Evil at time.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Moonshaean Triads
by Emrys Kerr

Three candles that illumine every darkness: truth, nature, and knowledge

Three things which are not hidden: a straw in a shoe, an awl in a bag, and a harlot in a crowd

Three keys that unlock thoughts: drunkenness, trustfulness, and love

Three things that must be united before good can come from them: thinking well, speaking well, and acting well

Three things not easy to trust: a drover's oath, a paramour's promise, and a hunter's word about his dog

Three ways to know a person: by their discourse, their conduct, and their companions

Three measuring-rods of every person: their dreams, their fears, and their unconcerns

Three things hard for any to do: cool the fire, dry the water, and please the Realms

Three things without which one is not whole: a mate, a home, and a craft

Three unfailing remedies in every disease and sickness: nature, time, and patience

Three things better as servants and worse as masters: labor, money, and kings

Three things on which every person should reflect: whence they come, where they are, and whither they shall go

Three things a person cannot conceal: great love, great hate, and great wealth

Three kinds of knowledge: the nature of each thing, the cause of each thing, the influence of each thing

Three springs of knowledge: reason, phenomenon, and necessity

Three foundations of wisdom: discretion in learning, memory in retaining, and eloquence in telling

Three followers of wisdom: imagination, purpose, and endeavor

Three who it is not wise to believe: the stranger about their possessions, the old person praising the day that was of yore, and the one who boasts of their wisdom

Three foundations of happiness: contentment, hope, and belief

Back to the index
Edelgarde Spades - Guide of Candlekeep and Deneirrath priest, still a Disney princess in the wrong tale.

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
On the Raw Magic Interpretation of the Weave
Volume I - Expanded, revised edition
Authored by Reader Lafali'Atria-Hoihe Dacino, captain of Sea Seeker in 1356
Foreword:
Magic within the realms is an oft misunderstood, and contested subject. Many who have only known the Realmspace as their only world of relevance have found themselves of the belief that Mystra's Weave is the sole source of magic in the multiverse. This is demonstrably false, as even Mystra's own teachings tell of a time where she and the Weave did not yet exist, yet magic did. However, for those skeptical of such may need contemporary evidence to be convinced - and such evidence can be found from the Scholars of Candlekeep.

Under the Guideship of Wendel Ashby, Candlekeep had come to investigate a tome that led to another plane of existence. Within this plane, the Weave was non-existent - yet magic was still commanded with ease by those that called it their own home. The now-chosen of Mystra, former-Reader Laitae Lafreth was witness to such, and would be able to verify these experiences if consulted.

Based upon this experience, personal misguided investigations into Blood and ritual magic, witnessing the power of arch-magi and the Chosen, of Mythals - I have come to propose a personal interpretation using my Theological and Astronomical education. This work provides a lay-person's introduction to that.

I have sought to compose this volume to be readable by anyone, be they a trained wizard or a well-read commoner. As such, I have come to exclude my usual diagrams and mathematical derivations in favour of prose.

Historical background:
To understand the perspective I come from, we must make the assumption that the Chauntean, Mystran and Selunite creation myth is truth. As I have not came upon contradictions within my theological studies, not even in my studies concerning Asgorath the World-Shaper, I shall proceed with the assumption that the following is true.

In times immemorial, before mortals called the Realmspace their home, there was naught but filaments of raw, tumultuous, untamed magic that filled our Sphere. Two deities were born of this substance, or perhaps came to discover it from a distant sphere in their travels, and thought it would become home to their wishes. These were the goddess of the moon, Selune, and the goddess of the void, Shar.

From this primordial tapestry they've began to weave, using magic no mortal or lesser immortal could come to match. They worked with Creation itself, with the raw substance that is reality. Over time, what was previously free and untamed became what today we recognize as the soil we stand on, the air we breathe, the gold we trade. They did not yet trap all of this raw primordial power yet, only enough to form worlds like Toril, like Anadia and so forth. One thing was missing yet, and that was the Sun.

Some time, either she was born of this creation or noticed the young sphere and came to offer her own assistance, Chauntea noticed that life as we know it could not exist in this unlit world. The energies of life, irrelevant for barren rocks and globs of water, still remained untamed, without direction - forming just a wild chaos, a dark void that could lend itself to nothing but Gods and their immortal servants.

Selune heard the pleas of Chauntea, and through her divine might, created the life-giving light that is our sun, and the moon to reflect it where the sun could not shine.. In Netherese interpretations, she did so by inviting Amaunator to Realmspace who did it in her stead. Whatever was the tale behind the sun's creation - it had trapped almost all that remained of the raw creation as Life-giving light. And with light, life could emerge - whether native, or invited by more and more gods and fae.

Shar could not appreciate such. Such brought her discomfort, for while Selune and Chauntea revelled in life, within creation - the Dark Lady missed the empty void that preceded this fateful event. And so, as sisters are wont to do - they began to fight. However, while mortal sisters' feud at worst end in the death of the other - when it comes to the gods - lesser entities are born of their wounds.

Some say that Selune had intentionally taken a piece of herself, and flung it upon the Queen of voids - others say it was from her silver hair, lopped off by the Lady of Loss that Mystra was formed. Whatever her origins - Mystra came, and she put an end to the war in heaven. She took what remained of the filaments of creation that once filled the Sphere, and bound them all into a tapestry that even Mortals could manipulate - into what we today know as the Weave.

As a consequence, the Realmspace became a world where even those without divine protection, even those without immortality to survive the sacrifice Creation demanded could weave magic. Upon the Realmspace, magic is safe and gentle. Casting a spell, bar the most powerful, costs mortals little to nothing but special components.

And so we owe Selune and Mystra greatly, and thus they deserve our love, even should we serve other pantheons.

On casting magic within Realmspace
As we have previously discussed, the Realmspace is truly a unique and blessed corner of the Prime Material. The way we make our magic happen differs from how upon other planes fiends and celestials weave, from how gods make their own miracles.

Should one, for instance choose to visit the hells themselves, their ability to cast magic would require the permission of the Lord of that layer - otherwise, even a simple spell would require life-force to create. It would not come as a cost, but merely a consequence of tampering with the raw creation that exists beyond our world. Upon planes where mortals dwell, their local rulers often shoulder this burden for their mortal visitors. For the immortal magicians - such taxes do not bother them, although truly great magic might weaken them sufficiently to put them at risk. Such is why fiends seek our souls, and such is why, when the Gods intervene on our behalf in miraculous ways, we find ourselves weaker.

On planes aligned more with chaos, we can even experience what happens when Creation is not bound within something like the Weave. They change before our own eyes, as our thoughts and emotions change. It is said that portals that reach farther than even the highest peak of Mount Celestia, and the lowest bit of the Abyss leak this raw creation. And those who experimented with such suffered horrible mutations, confirming this.

When we cast magic here on Realmspace, we do not interact with Creation directly. Instead, we reach out, and like a skilled seamstress, begin to shape the Weave according to our knowledge and will. We learn that if we arrange it in this particular way, that effect occurs. And when we let go of the Weave, depending on our power and intricacy of our manipulation, sooner or later, it will return to how it was before we were even born. Well - not entirely, for there are impressions our mortal and inanimate existence leave upon the Weave.

When one manipulates those impressions, their body changes suit - and when sufficient time passes, it reverts. This is why, to truly permanently transmute oneself, one requires either divine intervention, or to interact with Creation itself.

There is however one exception - that of physical consequences of said manipulation. We do not forget what we learnt when we divine something, the tree our reckless fireball turned to ash does not reform, and the orb of acid we Created does not unravel upon being dispelled.

Why might this be? That is what the Raw Magic interpretation hopes to answer.

The Raw Magic Interpretation
If one had ever played with prisms, perhaps as a tool of navigation, perhaps simply out of boredom, they would have noticed that light from the sun splits into the colours of the Rainbow. I postulate that Raw Magic is like the light from the sun, and we can split it likewise.

Our split consists of thus - the elemental energies, force, positive and negative energy. When those are combined in the right way, arcane fire can be produced, or so arch-magi better studied than I taught me.

Now, the Weave itself has trapped what remaining true Raw magic there was in Realmspace. The rest is stored in our blood, in our life, and within the matter that surrounds us. This leads us to another set of categories - that is, of how we can we interact with all this.

Whether we discuss Evocation, Transmutation, Necromancy or Conjuration, we always begin with the Weave. The classical interpretation says that through the geometric patterns we create, we create fire and so forth. In this interpretation, we first arrange the Weave in a pattern that leaks a speck of raw magic as convenient, then rely on the rest of our created geometry to affect this sliver.

We can, of course use the Weave as one would a Prism, and distill this speck to the energies we desire. This is what Evocation is, per this interpretation. The existence of this distilled energies relies greatly upon the Weave's geometry, for any disruption to it will lead to the spell fizzling and becoming absorbed again. Such is why evocation is so easily countered by creatures that emanate a strong impression on the Weave like the drow, and by Mantles. As it happens, some forms of necromancy are also subject to this.

Conjuration, on the other hand, uses this meagre quart of Creation to manipulate planar reality itself. The simplest of these manipulations is summoning another entity - a process which I must admit is difficult to sufficiently explain with this interpretation, but that might merely be due to my everlasting weakness with the sub-school of Summoning. My best approach to this phenomenon is interpreting Raw Creation as a fuel to maintain a sort of planar convergence that permits the summoned creature to exist, and upon destruction, to reform on its home plane.

Calling and translocation are much easier to understand. Simply, the Raw Creation is used to weaken the barrier between the planes, and manipulate them so to allow travel as desired.

Creation is a personal favourite, and one that relies not upon the Weave for its material impact, but upon the world itself. Creation draws upon Raw Magic from the Weave, and uses it to dissolve and reform the matter and energies of the material world itself. As this matter and energy existed even without the Weave, it is not reliant upon its geometry, and cannot be nullified by abjurations. One would likely notice the similarity to the school of Transmutation, and indeed there are some - but the difference will soon become apparent. Surmised, the change brought upon by Creation "sculpts" matter without directly manipulating its impression of the Weave, creating Truly permanent changes to the material world - as exemplified by the Orb spells, nightmare of many an abjurer.

Transmutation works as Summoning would, using Raw Magic liberated from the Weave to fuel further manipulations of its geometry. As such, nullifying either the fuel or forcibly reversing the geometry leads to the material consequences to reverse as well.

Illusion can be explained as one explains Creation, while Enchantment requires us accepting that our own psyche, unrelated to our body, also leaves an impression upon the Weave. Necromancy is a mixture of Creation and Evokation. And Divination... is perhaps the biggest hurdle to mantle for this interpretation to be truly applicable.

As of present, despite my focus upon Divination, I lack the mathematical and geometrical tools to describe it using Raw Magic rather than Weave Geometry.

On Fuelling spells
As previously mentioned, for a number of schools we explained them as using Raw Magic to fuel them, and for Creation, as a "solution" with which we can retrieve raw magic from the Weave.

Many spells require special components, and as noted, manipulating the Weave requires us to retrieve a speck of Raw magic from it to fuel our later works. This however leaves us with a conundrum - the greater manipulations require more than we can retrieve using our own mortal powers (barring some exceptional individuals). However, we all know that raw magic is trapped within matter in extensive quantities - and also within life itself.

By using our initial speck of magic, not to manipulate the Weave but to liberate Creation from Matter - or indeed, as bood magi and necromancers are wont to do, from Life, we can impress upon the Weave at lesser personal cost - and for those willing to pay the sacrifice, use raw magic itself as our tool without Mystra's aid.

The greatest strength of the Raw Magic interpretation presents itself here - for I have met many an apprentice mage scratching their head - trying to understand why some spells require gold, why fireball needs the waste of bats, why gemstones are so precious.

Alas, I cannot truly present my arguments without my close friends, numbers and geometry, thus I must refer curious souls to my future publication intended for wizards.

For now, I wish to note three objects of importance that are easy to explain - gold, life and diamonds.

Gold is a particularly sacred form of matter for the magician - for not only is it impervious to corrosion, but it also happens to hold Raw Magic in its purest, least-distilled form. With enough gold, one can substitute any material component, if they know to sufficiently distill it down through their magic.

Life is in itself Creation. Blood Magi, even the least trained, natural ones realize that just a tiny drop of blood can substitute just about any material component, and even outperform them. For better or worse however, even if one knows the mathematical ways such works - this knowledge requires raw experience - the experience brought about by death itself, and a particular preliminary understanding of life itself. Please do not seek me for advice on how to use it, or achieve it - my goddess had blessed me with ignorance when I found its temptation too much to bear.

Finally, diamonds. Diamonds are like Life, but crystallized. I have found no way to draw Life from diamonds, bar divine methods to trade them for a second chance. This, besides trying to include Divination within this interpretation are my current fields of study - when time permits.

On the benefits of this interpretation

This interpretation, if one understands its mathematics and geometry, can help guide spellwrights to design spells that are truly permanent, and spells to pierce abjurations. Finally, it can benefit those wishing to save gold on rare components by substituting them with gold.

It is a long-held interpretation of mine, sculpted over the years as my understanding waxed over new revelations, and waned through lack of opportunity to experiment.

I dedicate this work to the Mystic Seer, to the Lady of Mysteries, to the Sage at Sunset, and last but not least to the Lady in Silver.

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
On Phaerimm: Scourge of Anauroch

By Noromical of House Kinsara

Phaerimm are an unusual race. Despite my travels across Toril, I’ve not quite found a race of creatures with an appetite as voracious as the dreaded Phaerimm of the Anauroch Desert. While creatures such as Gelatinous Cubes, Slimes, and Oozes posess the afiinity to digest vast amounts of material, they are however, limited by the size they grow, and the material these creatures are capable of injesting. Phaerimm differ from most species, in the sense that they lack a stomach, and do not actually feed on physical materials. At least, if they do, none have been observed doing such.

At a first glance, a Phaerimm appears to be a tube-shaped creature, with four limbs and a ring of teeth for a mouth. If anything, they appear quite flimsy. However, as with all things native to the Far Planes, these creatures are beyond what the eye can see. As previously noted, they are capable of feeding on life energies, by way of the life-draining, necromantic magics they wield. Unlike most mages however, this negative energy affects more than just living creatures. The magic used by the Phaerimm over the past few thousand years, has resulted in the Anauroch being turned into the great desert it is known as today. Phaerimm magic has quite literally, drained the land of it’s life.

However, this, at the end of the day, is just magic, what makes them truly unique, is their ability to devour magic energies from wards, and even Mythals. They don’t seem to invoke any spells when doing this, and instead, they simply, eat the weave. However, due to the nature of the Weave, this does not result in an anti-magic field, although I theorise that if one were contained within a small pocket plane for long enough, it would eventually devour any and all aspects of the weave within said plane, until it was reconnected to Toril.

The body of a Phaerimm, is very much flesh and blood, just like any Illithid; more commonly known, as a mindflayer. To this end, they can be killed by sword or bow, but their use of life-draining magic, makes them very difficult opponents to fight. This skin is usually a coppery-tan, much like a common human’s or even that of a surface elf. However, unlike such races, this coloration comes from a different compound that exists within their blood. I can only surmise that it is this compound that allows them to consume magic the way they do.

The four limbs on their body, are very skinny, with two stiff lengths of cartilage between the joints. Each arm does indeed have a “hand” however, there are only four fingers, each connected directly to the wrist, with no “palm” to speak of. As mentioned earlier, they are able to move these limbs and “fingers” with enough dexterity to perform the somatic components of complex magic. It should be noted, that the spells used by the Phaerimm, seem to posess no audible verbal component, and as such, cannot be replicated by any two-armed creature native to this plane, as any attempts to recreate the Phaerimm’s spells, even by those capable of casting without somatic components, have failed.

The purpose of the teeth remains unclear, as dissections of Phaerimm have led to a lack of a stomach, instead, they posess a gland, the extracts of which match the compound within their blood, and is capable of disrupting magic, converting it into other forms of energy. Furthermore, a series of sacs, each filled with gas, located on their underbellies, provides them with the ability to fly. Their backs are lined with spines, typical of prey-species native to Toril, suggesting that even within the Far Planes, there is a creature that preys upon the Phaerimm.

Phaerimm appear to possess no ocular organs, or anything that functions as an eye, thus rendering them blind. This does not, however, diminish the threat they pose. They are capable casters, able to use divination magics to detect living creatures, however, they are attracted to sorcerers, due to the high amount of magic running through their veins. Should you encounter a Phaerimm, protection from Negative Energy is required. Secondly, you should prioritize attacking the fleshy sacs on their underbellies, to prevent them from flying. Only then, will they be easy to kill. Their skin holds no unique protective qualities, however, the spines might still prove dangerous due to thrashing.

In conclusion, while a Phaerimm body is fragile, they should not be allowed near high sources of magic, and can pose a threat to the very land itself, in greater numbers.

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Tashara of the Seven Skulls - Written and Donated by Caelus Moon

Here find the tale of Tashara,
The Mage of Seven Skulls,
Who went toe-to-toe with Thayans,
And who rent beholders low.

Her power and her beauty
Conquered many hearts and minds;
While her vile necromancy,
Nearly conquered the divines.

But in her quest for greatness
She besmirched the Lord of Spells;
And drawing his cold ire,
Purchased passage to the Hells ...

Between 731 DR and 757 DR, the great King Strohm III and the elves of Shilmista combined forces to wage war against the five powerful beholders known as the Ring of Five Eyes, and their cultist followers ...

[ The book begins by describing the fall of the ruling house of Cortryn in eastern Amn in 731, destroyed by a group of beholders known as the Ring of Eyes. It then describes a war between the peoples of Amn and these beholders than wore on fore more than twenty years ... ]

In the end, it was not the combined armies of man and elf that put an end to the stalemate, but a mage of incredible power. Her name was Tashara of the seven Skulls, and she is said to come from Chessenta ...

[ The book then turns its focus to Tashara of the Seven Skulls, its subject. This beautiful woman was said to have seduced many powerful archmages, killing them and reanimating them as lich-like skulls that served her in unlife. ]

And the Wizard of the Seven Skulls only grew in power. It is said that on entering any battle, she came armed with the might of seven willing liches, all casting at her will. Even the mighty Red Wizards of Thay were forced to cede the battlefield to her, when she slew three of their number in a great standoff at ...

[ The story continues that Tashara gained in power and skill and collected potent magics. But, like many who hunger for power, she wanted more. ]

That is when Tashara turned her eyes on the great temple of Azuth in what is today the Tunlands. Sacking the temple, she easily outmatched the priests who protected it. But when the high priest called for Azuth's aid, it is said he listened ...

[ The tale suggests that Azuth appeared in his temple's ruins and confronted Tashara. The confrontation came to an end when the Lord of Spells embraced the necromancer, at which point she erupted into flames and disintegrated into dust. ]

In the wake of the great burst of magic Tashara's death rent through the air, one of the seven skulls is said to have shattered. The remaining six, though, were scattered in all directions. Some say they remain, watching and waiting, in the world today ...

[ The book speculates on the odds of these six liches surviving and suggests a few locations they might have gone to if they did. Ultimately, it concludes there's no sure way of knowing. ]

Like all mortal beings, Tashara was a complex person of multiple facets. Was she a villain? Certainly. But was she also a hero? To the peoples of Amn and Tethyr, one must assume so, even if she is little remembered there today ...

[ The tome ultimately concludes that obsession with power, knowledge, magic, or love is dangerous, and that one must moderate their ambitions with wisdom and care. The text is signed by a Loremaster of Oghma by the name of Caelus Moon, 1356 DR. ]
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Thomas Wanderer
by Emrys Kerr

[This work is composed in two languages scribed parallel to one another, the traditional Waelan on the left and a conformance translation into Common on the right]

Out in shaded woodspan, dwelt the murderous
beast,
Eating on the sack-for-homes, gorge-laden
with his feast,
Stalking ‘tween the leafen glade, preying upon
the weak,
Glutting the hardy and the poor, even
dining on the meek.
And not there was, that brave the wood,
Not amidst the sword-handy and the good,
Except a gallant Knight from far Fenton,
Who rode along to lay sword on.
And young Thomas Wanderer, ignored his
mother’s tongue,
For Thomas he listened none, much so for
child young,
He hitched up his wooden horse, waving wooden
sword,
And skipped out to the woodspan,
foot-stepping Fenton Lord.
The sniveling Fool pranced at the bridge, and
cry cackle at the boy,
“Go skipping not with Beast of Teeth, you'll not
spill blood with some toy.”
But he was the Fool and none to mind, and
Thomas heeded not,
Slung himself on wooden horse and went West at
a trot.
Young Thomas spied the girthen oak and
tarried there a while,
Then instead of heading back again, Tom rid
another mile.
He cleft the black leaf shrubbery and swaying
blood-daubed vine,
Carefree took forth his luncheon-food and
settled there to dine.
The woodsman found young Thomas there, thrice
struck him on the ear
“Be fangs and claws for you, my kid, if
sunfall shrouds you here.”
With axe-haft pushing young boy’s hide,
the woodsman bade Tom home,
But Thomas was a stubborn kid, and so he
bid to roam.
Onwards and inwards, through clustered trunks
and threshy twine,
Thomas goaded stick-horse on, as ruddy sun
wed pale moonshine,
And there amidst the prickly bush, he spied
the lair of the brute,
Stepped out brightly upon his steed, through
groping branch and scraping root.
And there red-eyed the gruesome Beast, all
bloodied horns and claws and fangs,
Yet brisky Thomas ventured on, he couched no
dread, nor homeward pangs.
Though brave Knight bidden to the grave,
with wooden sword aloft
Plucky Tom brandished at the Beast, who
marred him with a scoff.
“What mires you here, young smoothskin-born?
Did not your mother about me warn?”
“I have no fear!” Tom cried aloud,
Horsing forward ‘til Beast he growled.
“I shall eat your flesh and snap your bones,
Sack your folkland burn their homes.
For mocking kid to dare my rage,
Your jibe it traps me like a cage.
The unclaimed ones must dread my kind,
Can never squander fear behind.”
So Thomas Wanderer was no more,
who never did no good,
So remember poor Thomas,
and roam not in the wood.

Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History IV
The Crown Wars
Compiled by Scribe Edelgarde Spades

(OOC: all credit to http://dnd.eizzn.com/)

-12000 DR to -9000 DR
The Crown Wars of the Elves erupted more than a dozen millennia ago, pitting nearly four generations of elf. The two greatest events of the Crown Wars that still have impact are the Dark Disaster and the Descent of the Drow. The Dark Disaster utterly destroyed the forest realm of Miyeritar, leaving the blasted plains that are now the High Moor. Perhaps due to the savagery of the Crown Wars or other factors long lost to time, the dark elves become corrupt during this era, broke away from their kinfolk, and after much warfare and cruelty they descended beneath the world's surface to become the deep elves, also known as the drow.

-12000 DR to -11300 DR - The First Crown War

Aryvandaar attacks Miyeritar and begins putting political pressure on Shantel Othreier to join them or suffer the same fate.

-11800 DR
Miyeritar is militarily occupied and annexed by Aryvandaar, though a number of clans and strongholds resist and continue to fight.

-11700 DR to -11200 DR - The Second Crown War

Battle flares up yet again in answer to the aggressions of Aryvandaar. Ilythiir rises up and viciously strikes out at any that support the gold elves of the north. Its nearest neighbor Orishaar, a major trade partner with Aryvandaar, falls swiftly in a brutal surprise attack.

-11700 DR
Dragons set aflame the southern expanse of Shantel Othreier. The legends say that the elf Tethir single-handedly slays two ancient red wyrms of the Ridge and saves many elves. Tethir's stand earns the elves the respect of the dragons, which had previously dismissed them as ignorant, two-footed cattle. A portion of Keltormir's woods are named in the honor of Tethir.
Human clans settle in the clearings and meadows created by the dragon fires around Keltormir.
-11600 DR

The Ilythiiri destroy Syorpiir by fire, separating that region from its allied neighbors.

-11500 DR

A balor is tasked by Lolth to seduce the rulers of the Ilythiiri, into her worship and grant them evil magics.

Thearnytaar and Eiellur band together and declare war on Ilythiir, decrying the Ilythiiri's use of fire and wanton destruction far more than the power plays of the northern elves. They fight a holding action, preventing the Ilythiiri from advancing north.

-11450 DR - The Sable Wars

Thearnytaar and Eiellur invade Ilythiir. More than half their forces are decimated by the corrupt magic of the dark elves.

-11400 DR

Eiellur falls. The Ilythiiri are helped by traitor green elves.

This first major conflicts with merfolk and sahuagin starts.

-11300 - End of the First Crown War

Miyeritar is conquered by Aryvandaar.

-11200 DR - End of the Second Crown War

Thearnytaar falls to the savage and now unrepentant dark elves. Ilythiir now directly skirmishes with the major realm of Keltormir along its eastern and southern expanses.

With another major migration of elves to the Sea of Fallen Stars after the fall of Thearnytaar, the sea elves expand militarily beyond the Selmal Basin. In -11003 Coryselmal becomes the capital of the Aryselmalyr Empire.

-11000 DR

Scholars believe around this time Taark Shanat the Crusader and his eight sons, lead a great exodus of dwarves to a new kingdom in the west. These emigrates eventually become known as shield dwarves and establish the great empire of Shanatar.

-10900 DR to -10600 DR - The Third Crown War
Conflicts erupt as accords finally fail between Shantel Othreier and Aryvandaar.

-10800 - The Cloaker Wars

The followers of Shanat come under attack by the mysterious inhabitants of Rringlor Noroth. The Stout Folk eventually prevail after Taark slays four blue dragons.
-10700 DR - Battle of the God's Theater
The God's Theater is the site of one of the largest and costliest of all the Crown Wars' battles. It is estimated nearly 70,000 elves died at the hands of elf and orc enemies, as an orc horde 100,000 strong fell upon the already embattled elves. Aryvandaar won the day, and occupied the northern half of Shatel Othreier.

-10600 DR - End of the Third Crown War

Aryvandaar conquers Shantel Othreier. Ardeep, a vassal realm of Shantel Othreier, continues to resist. Guerilla fighting and rebel mages arise in parts of Miyeritar and the newly conquered territories.

-10500 DR - The Dark Disaster

Miyeritar is engulfed in killing storms, which reduce this entire forest and realm into a barren wasteland in three months.
Shock over the Dark Disaster establishes an uneasy four decades of peace, as nearly every elf of Faerun shrinks back in awe and horror from the havoc wrought by the Crown Wars.

In the same year, The eight sons of Taark Shanat set off to found their own kingdoms in the caverns to the north.

-10450 DR to -10000 DR - The Fourth Crown War
Ilythiir's seething counterattack to avenge Miyeritar sees its open use of the corrupt powers of Ghaunadar and other dark, evil gods for the first time. The Fourth Crown War ends with cataclysmic events of -10000.

-10400 DR
Dark elves guided by the hand of the balor Wendonai construct an underground fortress named Narathmault, "the Dark Pit", at the site of present-day Dun-Tharos, recognizing it as a place of great evil.

-10270 DR - The Stone and Claw Campaigns

Aryvandaar and Ilythiir close ranks and fight incessantly for two centuries.

-10100 DR

Through enslaved dragons and other powers, the dark elves of Ilythiir engulf all of Shantal Othreier in flames, destroying most of its trees over the course of 50 years.

-10000 DR - Descent of the Drow; End of the Forth Crown War

Magic directed through priests and High Mages, transforms the dark elves into the drow. Whether by magic or by the weaknesses that banish them from the sunlit lands, all drow retreat within two months' passing into the Underdark.

Like their kin elsewhere, the dark elves of Narathmault are transformed into drow shattering their bindings over a host of fiends who swiftly turn on their former masters.

-9900 DR

Aryvandaar's covert persecution of High Mages and priests begins, as they attempt to destroy or control any who might somehow force their descent as they did the drow. Illefarn is annexed by Aryvandaar as its nobility of priests and High Mages died under the persecution of the increasingly-crazed Coronal. Many elves of both lands flee to the remnants of Shantel Othreier.

-9839 DR to -9833 DR - The First Seros War

The burgeoning empire of elves allies with the merfolk against the sahuagin of eastern Seros.
This war destroys the major sahuagin kingdom in "Sekolah's Trench".

-9800 DR

The Yuirwood is settled by a small number of green elves in the aftermath of the Fourth Crown Wars.
The Vyshantaar Empire's forces occupy all elf realms. They begin the colonization and settlement of Evermeet. A force of elves escapes the mainland and resettles in isolation and safety among the mountains of the Moonshae Islands. Their new land becomes Synnoria.

-9750 DR

The realm of Lethyr is settled by moon elves and gold elves of Shantel Othreier. They resolve to clear the forest of all the non-elves so as to safeguard it from the foul legacies of Ilythiir.

c. -9600 DR

The first drow civilizations rise in the Underdark beneath southern Faerun and the founding of the drow cities of Telantiwar and Guallidurth. Their harassment of the Vyshantaar forces over the next five centuries helps prevent the annexation of any other lands.

-9200 DR to -9000 DR - The Fifth Crown War

The First Proclamation of the Elven Court leads to the revolt of the nobles of Aryvandaar, and the last Crown War begins. The Elven Court, the Seldarine priesthoods, and the long-hidden High Mages restore pockets of resistance and freedom across the entire Vyshantaar Empire, fragmenting the armies and nobles to limit their coordination.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
The Adventures of Meredith
by Emrys Kerr

Meredith met an enormous bear,
Meredith, Meredith, didn't care;
The bear was hungry, the bear was ravenous,
The bear's big mouth was cruel and cavernous.
The bear said, "Meredith, glad to meet you,"
"How do, Meredith,now I'll eat you!"
Meredith, Meredith, didn't worry.
Meredith didn't scream or scurry.
She washed her hands and straightened her hair up,
Then Meredith quietly ate the bear up.
Once in a night black as pitch
Meredith met a wicked old witch.
The witch's face was cross and wrinkled,
The witch's gums with teeth were sprinkled.
"Ho, ho, Meredith," the old witch crowed,
"I'll turn you into an ugly toad!"
Meredith didn't scream or scurry.
She showed no rage and showed no rancor,
But she turned the witch into milk and drank her.
Meredith met a hideous giant,
Meredith continued self reliant.
The giant was hairy, the giant was horrid,
He had one eye in the middle of his forehead.
"Good morning, Meredith," the giant said,
"I'll grind your bones to make my bread."
Meredith didn't run or scurry.
She nibbled the bara brith she always fed off
And when it was gone, she cut the giant's head off.

-Emrys Kerr, 1355 DR
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History V
The Founding Time

-9000 DR to -3000 DR

This era signals the rise of all the humanoid civilizations, in a time when the many dragons and giants were long overthrown and the elf wars no longer loomed over everyone as a treat. The elf realms of Evereska and Evermeet grow by colonization along with other realms, from the human lands of Unther and Coramshan to the dwarf realms of High Shanatar and Oghrann.

-9000 DR - End of the Fifth Crown War

The Fifth Crown War ends with the utter defeat of the Vyshaan and the dissolution of Aryvandaar. Much of the High Forest is abandoned for an age. Many elves begin migrating back to the Elven Court and the Inner Sea. Keltormir and Illefarn emerge intact from the Crown Wars.

The drow of Telantiwar overwhelm the dwarves of Bhaerynden and take their rift-city. Surviving dwarves flee, with one large group traveling to the Chultan peninsula, becoming known as the wild dwarves.

Spawn Wars
Skirmishes break out between the eight subkingdoms of Shanatar. Over time, the skirmishes evolve into open warfare.. This series of conflicts is known as the Spawn Wars because the dwarves make extensive use of deepspawn-bred legions.

-8938 DR
The Sharksbane Wall is completed in Seros, effectively imprisoning the sahuagin in the southern arm of the Inner Sea. Over the nine centuries that follow, sea devils west of the Wall are ruthlessly hunted down and exterminated.

-8900 DR

Tribes of Taangan (Tuigan) humans settle the Endless Waste.

c. -8800 DR
The Great Caverns of Bhaerynden collapses, creating the Great Rift.

-8800 DR

After an attack by a flight of red dragons on the forest of Keltormir, a forest fire that raged out of control. The elves of Keltormir splintered into a number of separate clans.

-8350 DR to -7975 DR - The Nemrut period of Imaskar

A splinter tribe of the ancient Durpari traveled northeast to settle in the fertile basin of the Raurin Plateau. These tribes folk called themselves Imaskari. They lived in tribal communities ruled by chiefs and the warrior aristocracy. The spread of agriculture during this time led to a rising population and the founding of the many farming villages on the plateau.

-8298 DR to -8282 DR - The Second Seros War

This war destorys the Kuo-Toan Consortiums.

-8170 DR to -8150 DR - The First Spider War

The drow of Guallidurth take advantage of the dwarves civil war to attack the caverns of Alatorin. The kingdom of Alatorin falls.

-8145 DR to -8137 DR - The Second Spider War
The eight kings of Shanatar forge an armistice and turn their armies against the drow. The drow retreat.

-8137 DR to -5960 DR - Second Age of Shanatar

The eight shield dwarf tribes of Shanatar are united. By -8100 DR Deep Shanatar is at its greatest expanse beneath southwestern Faerun.

-8100 DR to -8080 DR - The Mindstalker Wars
The illithids attack the eastern subkingdom of Shanatar, beginning a conflict that came to be known as the Mindstalker Wars among the dwarves. The illithids are driven back, but Clan Duergar is carried back to thralldom in the mind flayers' realm. After millennnia of enslavement and countless illithid breeding experiments, the descendants of Clan Duergar are transformed into a new subrace, the gray dwarves.

-7975 DR to -6422 DR - The Early Dynastic period of Imaskar

This period was marked primarily by the Imaskari elite's mastery of transdimensional magic. The artificers created a sprawling network of portals. These allowed whole legions to pass swiftly from one domain to the next, precipitating the rapid expansion of the Imaskari Empire. By the end of the Early Dynastic period, the empire's borders reached from the Great Ice Sea to the Golden Water, and from the Alamber Sea to the Katakoro Plateau in Kara-Tur.

-7800 DR - The Great Arrival

The noble djinni lord Calim arrives in Faerun, quickly seizes all the lands south and west of the Marching Mountains and founds the Calim Empire on the present-day site of Calimport.

-7790 DR - The Dragon Wars
A Flight of Dragons destroys the city of Calimport. This event initiates a century of war pitting Calim and the genies against the dragons. By its end, every dragon of the Marching Mountains dies at the hands of the genies' magic.

c. -7700 DR - Rise of the Marid States
Rogue marids from the Calim Empire start a war with the sea elves.

-7687 DR - The Steam Clashes

A greater marid, breaks away and establishes a realm within Calim's lands. The Steam Clashes begin between them. The rebels are destroyed by Calim and the Spider Swamp comes into being.

c. -7600 DR

The drow empire of Telantiwar falls. The dwarves return to their ancestral home, now the Great Rift, and establish the Deep Realm. They become known as the gold dwarves.

-6950 DR

Star elves begin to gather in the Yuiwood, leaving the other elven nations.

-6946 DR - The Mervae Alliance

Dukars develop their powers and become peacekeepers across Seros.

-6800 DR

Arrival of the Army of Fire north of the River Agis, led by the efreeti lord Memnon.

-6676 DR - The Golden Era of Aryselmalyr Begins

A peace accord with the Marid States marks the beginning of 5,000 years of general peace in Seros.

-6500 DR to -6100 DR - Era of Skyfire

Memnon and Calim bring their forces to bear against one another in cataclysmic battles over the next four centuries. The High Magic of the elves forcibly disembodies Calim and Memnon. The ongoing struggles of the two noble genies create the Calim Desert.

-6422 DR to -4370 DR - Middle Kingdom period of Imaskar

A rampaging demon razed the Imperial city of Inupras, forcing the Imaskari to abandon their ancient capital. How it entered the city is unknown, but popular opinion placed the blame on the Cult of Demogorgon. The anarchy that followed split the empire into Upper and Lower Imaskar.

-6150 DR to -6120 DR - The Third Spider War

The drow of Guallidurth once again attack the caverns of Alatorin.

-6100 DR - End of the Marid States

The deep-water Marid States mysteriously vanish or fall prey to kraken attacks.

-6060 DR - Fall of Calim's Rule

Lands east of the Calim Desert and south of the Marching Mountains become the human nation of Coramshan after the humans win a rebellion.

-5960 DR - Third Age of Shanatar

King Adiir Velm claims the plains of former Memnonnar and founds the realm of High Shanatar.

-5800 DR

The nation of Jhaamdath is born when human settlements north of the Chondalwood unites.

c. -5400 DR - Ambril's Bane

Dwarves kill the heir to the throne of Coramshan. This incident precipitates three millennia of war with the humans of Coramshan.

-5360 DR to -5350 DR - Giant Wars

Many giants of Nedeheim fall to the dwarves of High Shanatar. By the war's conclusion, more than half of the entire giant population south of the Cloud Peaks is exterminated. In the meantime the warlord-ruler of Coramshan seizes much of southern High Shanatar.

-5300 DR to -2381 DR - The First Age of Calimshan

First Kingdom of Mir is founded. Mir and Coramshan aggressively expand eastward and share the conquered territories for the next three hundred years.

-5032 DR to -5005 DR - Mir-Jhaamdath War

The armies of Mir and Jhaamdath clash and Mir is dealt a crushing blow. In -5005 DR Coramshan and Mir unite to form the Calimshan Empire. Coramshan and Jhaamdath declare a truce.

c. -5000 DR - Clash at Earthrift

Two elven princes are accidentally killed in a dwarven-instigated landslide, and the alliance between the elves of Keltormir and the dwarves of Shanatar falls apart.

-5000 DR - The Twelve Nights of Fire

Uvaeren is destroyed by a falling star. Human tribesfolk of Raumviran stock settle the Lakelands (present-day Rashemen).

-4973 DR

The drow city of Sshamath, City of Dark Weaving, is founded by the Lolth-worshiping drow of House Sshamath.

-4800 DR

The Dlardrageths subvert several powerful sun elf houses and, by encouraging demon-elf crossbreeding, create the fey'ri. The fey'ri houses come to wield great power in Siluvanede.

c. -4770 DR

The Plague of Terror and the Sunset Plague devastate the city of Calimport.

-4642 DR

Efreet invade Djen through a Gate, start of 100 years of war in Calimshan.

c. -4500 DR to -4300 DR - Seven Citadel's War

High mages track House Dlardrageth and slay several of them. Other Siluvanedenn houses retaliate, beginning the Seven Citadels' War, sometimes collectively referred to as the Sixth Crown War.

-4400 DR - The Dark Court Slaugther

Drow and duergar, lead by the balor Wendonai, attack and destroy the Elven Court. The call to arms against their now-revealed enemy, the drow, is ordered. The archer-guard Shevarash vows to become the Seldarine's hand against the drow.

-4370 DR to -3920 DR - The Shartra period of Imaskar

A devastating plague wracks Lower Imaskar, beginning the Shartra period of Imaskar and a blight kills most of the empire's crops, bringing famine. Lower Imaskar survives the following decade only because of the weakness and misfortune of its enemies. In their bitterness, its people turned against their gods, and most priests are slain or driven into exile.

-4366 DR

It is believed thousands of human slaves were abducted from another world. Their descendants become known as Mulani.

c. -4300 DR - End of the Seven Citadel's War

The Seven Citadel's War ends. Most of the surviving fey'ri warriors are imprisoned.

c. -4000 DR

The duergar rebel against their illithid masters and eventually free themselves of the mind flayer's dominion.

-3983 DR

The first and tallest of the spires of Castle Cormanthor is built, founding the city that would come to be Myth Drannor.

-3920 DR to -2488 DR - The Late period of Imaskar

Lower and Upper Imaskar are reunified. The archwizard Madryoch tried to seize control of Imaskar, but Hilater trapped him in a plane of imprisonment.

-3917 DR

The drow city of Menzoberranzan is founded.

c. -3900 DR

The dwarf realm of Delzoun is established.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History VI
The Dawn of the Netheril Empire

-3869 DR

The charismatic priest of Tyche Nether the Elder rises to rule the fishing village of Gers in the north of Faerun. He eventually visits the other nearby villages and convinces their leaders to band together under his leadership. He orders all of the villages treasuries to be stored in Gers, assemble the militias into a single army under his leadership, and then establish himself as the dictator of Netheril.

-3859 DR to -3534 DR - The First Age of Netheril

Several villages on the shores of the Narrow Sea combine for mutual protection, forming the Alliance of Seventon, which later becomes Netheril. The shaman king Nether demands more and more tribute from the united villages and renames the kingdom Netheril, which meant Nether's Land.

-3845 DR

The elves begin discreetly observing and trading with outlying Netherese settlements. Later on, they begin instructing promising Netherese students in the Art.

-3827 DR

Nether the Elder is killed by his son.

-3717 DR

Gray dwarves found Gracklstugh, City of Blades.

-3655 DR

Scouts from Netheril meet the Rengarth barbarians.

Orcs pour forth from the Spine of the World, but the elves turn them back with help from the fledgling Netherese Empire and the Reingarth barbarians. The tribal lands of the Rengarth are absorbed into Netheril.

-3654 DR

The Terraseer, an archwizard rumored to see events all over the world, approaches the Netheril empire and teaches them the secrets of the Art. Some theorize he might have been a Sarrukh lich disguised as human.

-3649 DR

The Netherese begin to enslave the rock gnomes living in the hills nearby.

-3595 DR

War breaks out between the elven nations of Eaerlann, Miyeritar, and Illefarn. The humans, caught in the middle, are unable to trade with one for fear of retribution from the others.

-3533 DR to -3316 DR - The Nether Age of Netheril

A Netherese floating city, is destroyed by Tarchamus the Unyielding by opening a gate to Phlegethos to create a volcano that destroyed the city. The most powerful arcanists band together and blocks Tarchamus' access to the weave.

-3462 DR

Congenio Ioun creates his first magical item, Congenio's pebbles (later known as Ioun's Stones).

-3419 DR

The Netherese start trading with the dwarves of Delzoun.

-3392 DR

Netherese arcanists overrun Thaeravel, Land of Alabaster Towers.

-3381 DR

Two of the Nether Scrolls are stolen during an excursion in the High Forest. The Scrolls are never recovered.

-3373 DR

Ammarindar initiates trade relations with the magic-wielding humans of Netheril.

-3354 DR

War between the two remaining elven nations comes to an end.

-3315 DR to -2759 DR - The Mythallar Era of Netheril

The community of Unity is established sometime in this era. Unity serves as a base of operations against the warring goblinkind until the elves' and dwarves' civilization finally collapsed. Unity comes to be the home of the largest temple to Amaunator.

-3149 DR

Because of the large influx of gnome former slaves into the area, the secret gnome kingdom of Songfarla is officially founded.

-3145 DR

Ioulaum leads the Netherese against a horde of orcs from the Rampart Peaks. Ioulaum tracks the orc's homeland and begins a war called "Excursion into Extinction". The resulting extermination of the orcs allows Netheril to expand unchecked both south and west.

c. -3100 DR

Human seafarers from the west name and settle the island of Ruathym in the Sea of Swords.

-3095 DR

The Fair Folk of Cormanthyr steal one set of the nether scrolls and hide it. One of the thieves, a gnome, steals a glance at one of the nether scrolls and is rewarded with a deep understanding of how to cast illusion spells. This knowledge spreads quickly through the gnome community.

-3014 DR

Ioulaum creates the first mythallar. Three years after, he creates the first mythallar-powered magic item.

-3014 DR - Birth of Myth Nantar

Nantar becomes Myth Nantar as a mythal is raised around the area.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History VII
Silver and Golden Ages of Netheril

-3000 DR - Beginning of the Age of Humanity

With the elf and dwarf empires in decline, this era marks a dramatic increase in human expansion on Toril. The Mighty human empires of Calimshan, Mulhorand, and Unther arise during this era, as well as the now lost empires of Nethril, Jhaamdath, Narfell, and Raumathar.
Towards more recent times of this era is a time of exploration and discovery, when new continents are discovered in the west (such as Maztica) and trade is reestablished with the east (Kara-Tur). The Great Glacier retreats, uncovering the realms of Vaasa and Damara.

In -3000 a clan of dwarves from the Brightstar Lake region begins digging and awaken a dragon who enslaves them.

The Gate of Iron is built by dwarves.

A quick, bloody civil war leaves all Lolth-worshiping matriarchs dead in Sshamath, and the house wizards in control.

The couatls begin to preach the teachings of Ubtao to the chultan human tribes.

Illuskan humans of Ruathym found the settlement of Illusk.

-2919 DR

The Ironstar Kingdom of shield dwarves is founded in the North.

-2872 DR

The faerzress around the drow city of Sshamath vanishes, leaving the drow of the city bereft of their magic. The city is on the brink of disaster. Sshamath's wizards initiated wave after wave of expeditions to plunder Netheril, Oghrann, and other lost realms. Lesser mages repaired or duplicated every artifact and fabrication, initiating a burst of creative output that leads to countless new magical creations and incantations.

-2855 DR

The Ogre community of Chanth, Canlespiere comes under Netherese control during a bloody battle.

-2791 DR

Death of Halavar of Netheril. The basic themes for his productions were tragedies based on heroic Netherese warriors, criticisms of Netherese lifestyles, and satires of public figures and archwizards.

-2770 DR - The Slaughter of Sharrven

The elf realm of Sharrven fragments and falls due to an explosion in the monstrous population. The elves of Siluvanede quickly blame the power-hungry mages of Netheril.

-2758 to -2208 - The Silver Age of Netheril

A Netherese miner, discovers a huge lode of gold, iron, mercury, silver and platinum.
Netheril's government evolves into a council called the High Mages of Netheril, which includes the leading arcanists of Low and High Netheril.

-2637 DR

The avatar of Ubtao, the Father of Dinosaurs, founds the great city of Mezro in Chult.

c. -2600 DR

The last known dwarves of High Shanatar fall. In the North, Deepkingdom, realm of the gray dwarves, reaches its peak.

-2549 DR

Despite repeated attacks and attempts to stop them, the drow complete the Twisted Tower.

-2540 DR

Death of Congenio Ioun.

-2489 DR - Arrival of the God-Kings

The deities of the Imaskari slaves send powerful avatars. Upon arriving on Faerun, they further divide their remaining divine essences and create lesser, mortal forms of avatars, known as incarnations, who go among their people. The Imaskari slaves then revolt against their masters.

-2488 DR

Horus slays the Emperor of Imaskar. Inupras falls, marking the end of the Imaskar Empire. The devastation wrought in the empire's fall turns the site into the Raurin Desert. Lord Ilphemon and a small group of family and retainers flee into a uncharted corner of the Underdark. His descendants eventually rule Deep Imaskar for many centuries.

-2487 DR

Following the fall of Inupras and the collapse of the western Imaskar Empire, the eastern province of Khati and Katakoro endure.

-2439 DR - The Spiderfires

Drow inflict great damage upon the forests by setting the southern Rystall Woods aflame.

-2387 DR

Netheril releases all its gnome slaves.

-2381 DR to -1900 DR - The Second Age of Calimshan

Beholders appear in the Alimir Mountains and swiftly overrun the eastern garrisons of Calimshan before being pushed back into the mountains.

c. -2280 DR - The Erehnir Reconstruction

After guild wars and other conflicts destroy much of Calimport, many areas are rebuilt in the religious and artistic manner they are known by to this day.

-2207 to -1206 - The Golden Age of Netheril

Jeriah Chronos, later known as the Chronomancer, is born in Netheril.

-2135 DR

The god Re founds the city of Skuld and gives it the name "City of Shadows", which soon becomes the capital of a new nation called Mulhorand.

-2103 DR

A horde of orcs from the Spine of the World, led by giants and their ogre generals, crushes the human civilization of Illusk. Survivors of Illusk travel to Icewind Dale.After refusing divine healing for the injuries he sustained in the defense of Illusk, Jeriah Chronos, the Chronomancer dies.

-2087 DR to -1071 DR - The Dragonfall War

The last great era of conflict between the Platinum Dragon and the Chromatic Dragon rages. Tiamat's cult is brought to Faerun by the Mulan.

The god Enlil builds Unthalass, the City of Gems, which becomes the capital of a new nation called Unther.

-2049 DR

The arcanists from Canlespiere and the ogre mage leader Storm meet in a fiery confrontation of the northern shores of the Southfill River. There is a great deal of speculation as to whether Storm really died, but the ogres never returned to trouble Canlespiere.

-1967 DR

Unther and Mulhorand clash at the River of Swords, beginning the First Mulhorand-Unther War.

-1961 DR

The god-kings of Mulhorand and Unther agree on a common border - the River of Swords.

-1943 DR

Anok-Imaskar dissolves into several warring states.

-1921 DR

Death of Anglin of Netheril. He was responsible for many of the prismatic based spells.

c. -1900 DR - The Third Age of Calimshan

Calimshan rules as far north as the Snowflake Mountains and is composed of four separate kingdoms within its empire.

-1895 DR

Netheril first hits its magical peak.

-1838 DR

In retribution for Calishite adventurers plundering her hoard, the Rose Dragon destroys Calimshan's army and two-thirds of Calimport before she settles onto the bakkal's throne.

-1838 DR

Duerra, queen of the gray dwarves of Underspires, is rewarded with divine ascension.

-1732 DR

The Lapal tribes flee north and east. They settle on the southern shores of the Shining Sea and in the lands that would one day become Halruaa.

-1726 DR

Dragonslayers sorely wound the Rose Dragon and drive her out of Calimport. She is killed by their Copper Dragon ally.

c. -1720 DR

The Netherese begin to explore Seros. They establish three crystal-doomed, subsea colonies called Deep Netheril.

-1708 DR

The Cajaan Dynasty stabilizes in Calimshan, and the supreme ruler's title becomes pasha rather than bakkal.

-1660 DR - Battle of the Three Seaflames

Destruction of three "Deep Netheril" enclaves by allied mages of Seros.

-1539 DR to -1502 DR - The Third Seros War

Coronal Essyl lashes out against minor koalinth and scrag raids to the north and ignaites the war by uniting the koalinth (aquatic hobgoblins) and merrow (aquatic ogres) against a common foe.

-1530 DR to -1300 DR - Frontier Wars

War between the Calimshan Empire and the elves of Tethir.

c. -1500 DR

Mulhorandi expansion results in the settlement of the Priador and annexation of Murghom, the Plains of Purple Dust, and the Raurin Desert.
Untheric expansion results in the settlement of the Wizard's Reach and much of the Eastern Shaar.

-1428 DR

Calimport falls and beholders rule the ruined city of Calimport and its vassal empire.

-1428 DR

Calimport is the first city freed of beholder domination, and Calimshan is free of beholder rulers within three years.

-1399 DR to -1396 DR - The Fourth Seros War

The Hmur Plateau becomes overrun by a horde of koalinth and merrow, ending the peaceful merfolk Republic of Tivaan.

-1250 DR

Unther battles the star elves, who are driven back into the woods. Further Untheric expansion near the Great Rift brings this nation into conflict with the gold dwarves.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History VIII
Age of Discovery of Netheril

-1205 DR to -697 DR - Age of Discovery of Netheril

Mining crews digging for ore discover the chardalyn gems.

-1200 DR

Numerous settlements and many more elf patrols fall before a trio of nycoloths rampaging through the forest of Cormanthor. Numerous settlements and many more elf patrols fall before a trio of nycoloths rampaging through the forest of Cormanthor. The trio destroyed many villages of elves, whole tribes of satyrs and centaurs and at least two green dragons under Cormanthyr's boughs. High Magic was used to bind and imprison the three.

-1161 DR

Ali el Samesaj saves the daughter of a Drakhon sultan from kidnapers, and he comes to the notice of Syl-Pasha Adjam Drakhon of Calimport, her grandfather. As a reward, he becomes a fixture in the sultan's court, and his unofficial court wizard.

-1156 DR - The Villaflames

Fire destroys much of Calimport's waterfront before spreading westward into the pasha's villas. After the Villaflames, the Drakhon dynasty takes control of the cleared areas of Calimport. The imperial navy is built and this allows Calimshan to begin controlling the coastal lands and waters of the Shining Sea.

-1130 DR - The Battle of the Samesaj Gate

Great victory for Calimshan as they break the siege and inflict great losses on the beholders.

-1114 DR

The High Netherese begin experimenting with travel to other worlds.

-1105 DR - The Trollflame Wars

Beginning of the Trollflame wars with the Netherese city of Coniferia and the local trolls.

c. -1100 DR

Illefarn's last coronal commands a Retreat to Evermeet.

-1087 DR

The Theurgist Adept Thayd leads a rebellion of mages against Unther and Mulhorand, seizing the northern provinces of both empires as his own territory. He is defeated and executed.

-1080 DR

End of the wars between Calimshan and the beholder nations.

-1076 DR to -1069 DR - The Orcgate Wars

Renegade Mulhorandi wizards employ Imaskari portal magic to open planar gates to an orc world. Hundreds of thousands of orcs inundate the northern territories of both Mulhorand and Unther.

The orc god Grummsh kills the Mulhorandi deity Ra in the first known deicide. Many Untheric gods are killed as well. During the final Battle of the Gods, Tiamat launches a surprise attack. Tiamat is killed.

In -1069 DR the Orcgate is destroyed, and the invading orcs and their deities are defeated.

-1064 DR

The Netherese make first contact with the illithids.

-1048 DR

The First Mulhorand Empire ends.

-1014 DR

The Netherese refocus their efforts on exploring Faerun when travel to other worlds is found to be both dangerous and unprofitable.

-990 DR

Intermittent plagues over the next century ravage the populations of Schamedar and Calimport.

-987 DR to -633 DR - The Crell Dynasty of Narfell

Thargaun Crell assumes rulership of his father's tribe with the death of his father and establishes the kingdom of Tharos. He becomes a worshiper of Orcus.

-946 DR

All the petty Nar kingdoms are now united into the Empire of Narfell.

-900 DR to -605 DR - Nhalass Dynasty of Raumathar

Umathar I unites the Raumviran tribes under his rule and starts the Nhalass Dynasty of Raumathar.

-871 DR

The irrigation project around Mill Lake by the people of Specie is completed. It was started in an attempt to create more fertile farm land to "feed the world". Unfortunately, the project worked too well - the whole plain floods and turns into the March of Deception.

-841 DR

Carbury seeks to take control over the enclave of Spiel through a series of extravagant illusions designed to make everyone believe that he was the Terraseer. His hoax is discovered by a band of adventurers, however, and Carbury is executed for his attempt.

-836 DR

A black dragon takes up residence in the Swamp of Deception.

-812 DR - End of the Trollflame Wars

The Trollflame Wars culminates in a horrific battle. The city suffered severe damage when the trolls penetrated the outer walls.

-790 DR to -530 DR - The Night Wars

Drow raiders attack Calimshan and other surface powers of southern Faerun.

-788 DR to -777 DR - the Fifth Seros War

The sea elf ruler, initiates the Fifth Seros War against the shalarin kingdom of Es'krin following the Second Shalarin Passing. She desperately allies with two kraken. The Fifth Seros War ends following the deaths of the Coronal and her kraken allies.

c. -750 DR

Drow attacks on Cormanthyr and Rystall Wood begin again in earnest, but only as slash-and-run raids by drow seeking magic, slaves, or destruction. The impregnable Twisted Tower expands twice in the next decades.

An order of powerful Netherese wizards takes up residence in what is now known as the third level of Undermountain.

-741 DR

The aranea, a lycanthropic arachnid race with the ability to disguise themselves as drow or giant spiders, are created.

-734 DR

Gilgeam becomes King of Unther. Year 1 in Untheric calendar.

c. -700 DR - Year of Twelve Gods

Start of the Roll of the Years.

Rise of the Vastar, kingdom of orcs.

The dwarven realm of Delzoun is at its height.

-699 DR - Year of the Moon Blades Clashing

The star elves abandon Yuireshanyaar for Sildeyuir. Many green elves choose to remain in the Yuirwood.

-697 DR - Year of Furious Giants

The drow erupt from beneath the cities of Calimport, Manshaka, and Almraiven, establishing footholds in the cities as well as the outlying wilderness areas that they hold for several decades.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History IX
Shadowed Age of Netheril

-696 DR to -340 DR - Shadowed Age of Netheril

Birth of Karsus, the greatest archwizard of Netheril.

- 691 DR - Year of Stolen Fire

Attacks by the drow in Calimport destroy the caleph's palace with all the ruling family within it.
Calimshan begins colonizing the coast of the Lake of Steam beyond the Alimir peninsula.

-690 DR - Year of Fragile Beginnings

Blingdenstone, a deep gnome community, is founded in the North Underdark by svirfneblin fleeing phaerimm expansion.

-689 DR - Year of Final Fates - The Kraal Brook Massacre

The orcs attack near the Kraal Brook in Netheril during a religious festival.

-683 DR - Year of Fleeting Courage

Death of the ruthless arcanist Xanad after his fortress was finally leveled by an attack of more than 30 adventurers and hirelings.

-681 DR - Year of Nightmares

Netherese arcanists emigrate to the Demiplane of Nightmares. The magical energies of that nightmarish realm transform their descendants into an assortment of horribly twisted creatures known as the Night Parade.

-677 DR - Year of Fervent Glances

Drow begin their first incursions against the dwarves of Undermountain.

-674 DR - Year of Dwarves Besieged

The archwizard Karsus of Netheril creates the floating enclave of Eileanar.

-665 DR - Year of Crumbling Ruins

A powerful earthquake rocks the northwestern Nether Mountains, causing much of the lost city fo Tzindylspar to collapse.

-664 DR - Year of Turning Tides

The drow nearly destroy the town of Keltar in Calimshan and ship more than half of the surviving population into the Underdark as slaves. The Calimshites free the town and force the drow back to the Underdark.

The remaining Nether Scrolls are stolen en route to the Netherese city of Karsus.

-650 DR - Year of Flames Rising

Due to drow attacks on Calimshan, the dwarves and humans around the Omlarandin Mountains and the Kuldin Peaks become independent of Calimshan's control.

-649 DR - Year of Falling Copper

Large parts of Calimport are purposely destroyed to bury the drow temples and partially subterranean villas.

-648 DR - Year of Tribes Reunited

The Demiplane of Shadow is discovered.

-647 DR - Year of Craven Hungers

The floating city of Tanathras decides to make an example of Dagger's Point, which was prepared for his approach. As Tanathras began its journey to the Dagger's Point is disintegrated.

-642 DR - Year of Requiem

Netheril draws the attention of the clan of cloud giants, who resides in their own cloud fortress.

-633 DR to -399 DR - The Orgolath Dynasty of Narfell

The "Demon Twins", Ulthas and Ulthar overthrow the ruler of Narfell. Ulthas "the Darkwing" Orgolath takes his place.

-628 DR - Year of Empty Crowns

The dwarves of Clan Ironshield abandon the settlement of Andalbruin.

-626 DR Year of Oaths Forsaken

A group of outcast Netherese wizards known as the Selskar Order build a school of wizardry in the ruins of Andalbruin.

-623 DR - Year of Clipped Wings

Narfell attempts invasion of Mulhorand and Unther by sea. The two southern nations defeat the Narfell fleet. Neither Narfell nor Raumathar attempts to invade the Old Empires again.

-620 DR - Year of Noble Souls

Calimshan's syl-pasha strikes some confidential trade agreements with the Matron of the closest drow city, in exchange for the withdrawal of her forces from beneath Calimport and the other Calishite cities.

-609 DR - Year of Six Cats

Buoyance makes a covert attempt to kill a young Karsus, but immediately backed off when he realized Karsus's power.

-585 DR - Year of Rumbling Earth

A troll warlord gathers a horde of trolls and orcs and leads it south from the Spine of the World to assault the elven realm of Rilithar. The horde lays waste to all in its path and attacks the Tower of the Star. They summon the slaad lord Bazim-Gorag, "the Firebringer", who decimates the horde causing it to flee back north to the Spine of the World.

-584 DR - Year of Pyramids

Harska Thaug gathers another horde which overruns and pillages the Tower of the Star, bringing an end to the Selskar Order.

-582 DR - Year of the Glittering Coins

The horde of Harska Thaug assaults the elven realm of Rilithar on the eastern slopes of the Sword Mountains. The elves give battle and shatter the horde but not before their largest settlements are overrun and laid waste. The elves of Rilithar begin to rebuild, their strength greatly weakened.

-555 DR - Year of Furtive Magics

The gnomes of Songfarla come under attack from the demon armies of Narfell. The gnomes repel the first assaults and then veil their city with powerful illusions.

-530 DR - Year of Meager Means

The Night Wars draw to a close in Calimshan, and the drow never again gain more than a remote toehold in the surface lands.

c. -500 DR - Year of the Running Unicorns

The magical Blades of Dragon's Tongue are stolen by the Prophet of Tiamat, Ochir Naal.

-489 DR to -371 DR - Seven Sigil's War

The Netherese floating citadel of Meigg is built and its troops are marched to conquer settlements within the Outlands. Planar beings, more powerful than the archwizards, send their armies through the portal into Netheril, leading to a century of conflict.

-485 DR - Year of Masks

The city of Algid in Netheril is destroyed by the phaerimm.

-470 DR - Year of Perdition's Flame

The Shadow Wars of Cormanthyr and Rystall Wood against the Twisted Tower begin.

-461 DR - Year of Bold Pioneers

The phaerimm begin to cast the magic drain spells that create Anauroch by draining all the life out of their areas of effect.

-455 DR - Year of Rebellious Streets

The orc forces of the Hidden Forest strike the city of Earsome, destroying all outlying farms and villages along the way.

-450 DR - Year of Dwarves' Descent

Large-scale Netherese migration into the Savage Frontier begins, as the effects of lifedrain dweomers cast by the phaerimm become apparent.

-446 DR - Year of Treasured Moments

Calimshan's dominance of the Lake of Steam and the Shining Sea comes to an end with the near total destruction of the Calishite Armada in Calimport's harbor.

-427 DR - Year of Breaking Storms

The spells of the phaerimms bring down the floating cities of Lhaoda and Tith Tilendrothael.

-425 DR - Year of Ancestral Voices

Illusk is re-founded as a magocracy by Netherese settlers.

-408 DR - Year of Sleeping Dragons

Karsus discovers heavy magic.

c. -400 DR - Year of the Gilded Sky

Around this time, the Lost Sage Augathra the Mad travels the world. She divines many of the names in the Roll of Years.

-390 DR - Year of Enchanters

It is believed the arcanist Shadow translated himself to the demiplane of Shadow.

-387 DR - Year of Shattered Walls

The fortress of Zazessovertan falls to Tethyrian forces shortly before Zazesspur falls.

-379 DR - Year of Dancing Idols

Hobgoblins unite under the rulership of their first king. The realm of Holorarar is born.

-375 DR - Year of Clutching Dusk

The Empire Plague strikes the southern Shining Coast and lasts for five terrible years.

-374 DR - Year of Clutching Dusk

With the city all but abandoned due to the plague priests of Talona attempt to conquer Calimport.

-373 DR - Year of Whispering Stones

The Basilica of Night, Shar's impressive seat of power in Calimport, remains one of the few places in the city that is not fully controlled by Talona. Skirmishes around the temple grow more and more violent. In Eleint of this year, the Basilica finally falls to Talona's forces, but Shar's priests collapse the temple on their foes.

-370 DR - Year of Rent Armor

The Empire Plague finally ends early this year. By the end of Hammer, Syl-Pasha Akkab el Evyrtaan reenters Calimport and initiates a bloodbath that destroys all those who remain in the city as traitors or plague carriers. Many folk, including the clergy of Talona that ruled the city, survive by fleeing into the Undercity.

-359 DR - Year of Boiling Moats

In their quest for godhood, the Dead Three attack and slay a lost god stealing his heart.

-357 DR - Year of Sycophants

The fiendish invasion on Unity ends as Karsus himself finally ejects the fiends from the Prime Material Plane.

-354 DR - Year of Many Maws

The first recorded clash between sharn and phaerimm occurs this year.

c. -350 DR - Year of Craven Words

The Netherese migration to Illusk reaches its peak as settlers from many towns in Low Netheril travel west to escape the depredations of the phaerimms.

-345 DR - Year of Good Courage

The Terraseer appears in the enclave of Karsus and warns that the goddess Mystryl is about to face her greatest challenge - one that will change the way the Netherese view magic for all time.

-342 DR - Year of Sovereign Truth

Earsome and Shadowtop Borough are destroyed.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Torilian History X
The Diaspora Period of Netheril

-339 DR - Year of Sundered Webs

Nearly all of the Netherese enclaves fall to the earth and are destroyed due to disruptions in the Weave brought about by the casting of the epic spell, Karsus's avatar and the subsequent death of the goddess Mystryl.

The Netherese floating cities of Selunarra and Thultantar escape the destruction of Netheril by transporting their enclaves and entire populations outside of the Prime Material.

The Sargauth Enclave in present-day Undermountain is partially destroyed as a result of Karsus's Folly, and the Netherese arcanists that survive are twisted into magically potent undead that will become known as the Skulls of Skullport.

The archwizard Larloch escapes the destruction of his floating enclave and finds shelter in the ruins of Orbedal.

The Netherese survivor states of Anauria, Asram, and Hlondeth are established.

The Opus Enclave is spared the destruction of Netheril by divining the effects of Karsus's avatar spell and evacuating mere moments before magic failed.

-338 DR - Year of Guttering Torches

The Netherese refugees migrate west, hoping to found a new realm to the west of Delzoun.

-333 DR - Year of Fragile Beginnings

Blingdenstone, a deep gnome community, is founded in the North Underdark by svirfneblin fleeing phaerimm expansion.

-331 DR - Year of Shadows Fleeting

The elf armies break the greater defenses of the Twisted Tower and destroy all remaining drow slavers within the tower. The tower is left in the hands of good dark elf allies.

-329 DR - Year of Icefire

Dwarves of Clan Shattered Shield of Citadel Sundbarr flee their mines and begin a titanic trek eastward across the High Ice to the kingdom of Dareth.

-327 DR - Year of Opened Graves

The shield dwarves of Clan Shattered Shield arrive in Dareth to find their arctic dwarf cousins beset by the white dragons. They rescue the surviving folk of Dareth and retreat to a lone mountain which they name Mount Sundabar.

-323 DR - Year of Unseen Doom

The white dragons of Hoarfaern attack Mount Sundabar with potent magic items of unknown, elder origins, laying waste to the dwarf fortress there. Finally, in -318 DR the surviving dwarves and the white dragons of Hoarfaern destroy each other in a final battle.

-312 DR - Year of Jade Roses

During the waning years of this year, kobolds overtake the poorly defended citadel of Blister of Netheril.

c. -310 DR - Year of Glassharks

In gratitude for their aid, the Coronal allows the settlement of some reformed, surface-acclimated dark elves into some remote eastern lands of Cormanthyr.

-301 DR - Year of Wafting Sorrow

Mather "Wyrmshroud", the second human king of Westgate, dies defending the city from the attacks of three black dragons. Glaurath "the Great", the city's captain of the guard and close friend of Mather becomes the third human king of Westgate.

-300 DR - Year of Cold Anger

The Sossrim humans pledge their fealty to the realm of Raumathar after their aid in defeating an invasion of frost giants.

-298 DR - Year of Nine Watchers

The Cult of Karsus founds the city of Karse.

-295 DR - Year of Harsh Words

With the fall of Netheril and falling of the enclaves, the land-polluting magic of phaerimm quickly begins ruining the area and Specie is totally abandoned to the desert.

-288 DR - Year of Eight Lightnings

Calimshan accepts independence for Tethyr and its people.

-286 DR - Year of Foul Awakenings

Westgate falls during the course of a single night to a small army of elite mercenaries led by the vampire Orlak, who seizes the throne and becomes known as "the Night King".

Bitter disputes among the inhabitants of Karse eventually lead to the destruction and abandonment of the city. A Netherese lich arcanist takes up residence in the ruins.

-276 DR - Year of Overflowing Casks

A bloody coup in Jhaamdath replaces the psiocracy of bladelords with a militant emperor, who commands the building of a great navy on the Inner Sea.
Jhaamdath forces hunt down and slaughter the elves of the Chondalwood.

-273 DR - Year of the Dancing Faun

The Jhaamdathan emperor orders the military to seize those udoxias still in possession of the church of Auppenser. Hundreds of citizens loyal to the church bar the military from entering the temple. After a short standoff the emperor concedes.

-256 DR - Year of Able Warriors

Satama, a Durpari trader, begins preaching the Adama, a belief system that is the embodiment of the spirits found in all things.

-255 DR to -215 DR - The Sixth Seros War

The Twelve Cities of the Sword are destroyed by a gargantuan tsunami. This causes the destruction of the undersea city of Coryselmal. All the powers once subject to the sea elves vie for control of Seros and the Sixth Seros War erupts.

c. -250 DR - Year of Imprisonments

Calimshan reclaims some small areas and towns on the Lake of Steam, now that Jhaamdath's control on these lands has fallen.

-247 DR to -238 DR - Procession of Justice

Tyr, god of justice, bursts forth from a portal then leads a force of archons across the Vilhon Reach in an effort to pacify the remnants of ancient Jhaamdath, which had fallen into lawlessness. Tyr's host slays Valigan Thirdborn, a lesser deity of anarchy.
Tyr's actions and sacrifices during the Procession of Justice attract the attention of the previously obscure Ilmater, who joins forces with Tyr.

-236 DR - Year of Unfriendly Ports

The tribes in Gundavar are united under Rajah B'heshti I, and the Kingdom of Gundavar is founded.

-229 DR - Year of the Myrmidon Maid

A formal alliance between Gundavar, Durpar, and Veldorn is established.

-227 DR - Year of Rangers Lost

Calimport increases in population and area to its largest size ever.

-223 DR - Year of Burning Briars

The Sixth Rysar of Cormanthor (Myth Drannor) begins with the realm's greatest warrior, Eltargrim, taking his first steps toward magic.

-221 DR - Year of Shambling Shadows

Chief Clovis Ithal leads an assualt with the elves against Ithmong, but dies in the attack. His son, Darrom, rallies the clans to take the city and slay all Calishites within two miles of it. Darrom Ithal begins to unite the Tethrian clans under his rule.

-219 DR - Year of the Sallow Orb

Netherese citizens fleeing conflicts between the Netherese Survivor States begin to filter into the elven realm of Cormanthyr.

-215 DR - Year of the Oracle

The new powers of Seros are shalarin As'arem, the morkoth Theocracy of the Deep Ones, and the merfolk Kingdom of Hmurrath.

-212 DR - Year of High Thrones

Myratma falls once again to Tethyrian barbarian clans. Darrom Ithal is crowned King of Tethyr.

-200 DR - Year of Stonerising

Candlekeep is founded.

The first Dalesmen cross the Dragon Reach to the southern reaches of Cormanthor.

The Fifth Age of Calimshan begins, and Calimport becomes a more organized city with structured trade and guilds of skilled workers.

-188 DR - Year of Wrongful Martyrs

The Throne Wars begin in Calimshan. Many factions war among themselves for the caleph's throne as Calimport is set abalze.

-187 DR - Year of Gilded Burials

After the death of twenty-seven other rulers, the Throne Wars of Calimshan end with the ascension of Tasyn el Tarshaj yi Manshaka to syl-pasha.

-170 DR to -166 DR - The Eye Tyrant Wars

Calimshan allies with Tethyr and Iltkazar to fight the risen beholder powers of the Arnaden.
Almraiven and Suldolphor fall to the beholders. Though a longer struggle, the beholders control the Spider Swamp and the southern Forest of Mir.
King Silvam of Tethyr and Qayadin Revaod el Simaal lead the Fourth Army to victory over nine beholders and three times their army's own force, who lose control of Ankhapur, one of their largest surface strongholds.
In -166 DR the Eye Tyrant Wars end, though alliances remain among the human powers to pursue renegade beholders for the next few years among all their lands.

-162 DR - Year of Boneblight

Tribesmen in western Gundavar revolt against the Rajah and found the Kingdom of Estagund.

-160 DR to -150 DR - The Great Conflagration

Narfell and Raumathar begin their final war - a decade long cataclysm that involves the summoning of demon lords and an avatar of Kossuth. At its conclusion, both Narfell and Raumathar lie in ruins.
Barbarians drive Raumathari survivors of the Great Conflagration from much of the Hordelands.

-148 DR - Year of the Black Marble

Rashemen falls under the rule of the demon lord Eltab.

-137 DR - Year of Blooded Sunsets

The paladin Gen Soleilon of Lathander leads a company that destroys the vampire Orlak "the Night King" and is crowned the new king of Westgate. Gen becomes known as "the Radiant King".

-135 DR - Year of Old Beginnings

Mulhorand and Unther once again expand northward.

-112 DR - Year of Tortured Dreams

Rajah B'heshti II relinquishes claims on Estagund, changes the name of Gundavar to Var.

-111 DR - Year of Terrible Anger

Great orc hordes stream south. Illusk and Gauntlgrym fall to this onslaught, and Delzoun is devastated by countless orc assaults. The elves unite to shatter the strength of the orcs.

-108 DR - Year of Wands

The morkoth of the Theocracy of the Deep Ones attack the merfolk cities starting the Seventh Seros War.

Humans displaced by the Orc Marches rebuild and resettle Illusk. The city again operates as a magocracy under the Grand Cabal.

-106 DR - Year of the Valorous Kobold

The Seventh Seros War war ends with the surprising appearance of ling-hidden triton forces. The morkoth flee back into the depths.

-105 DR - Year of the Bloody Goad

An Illuskan tribe known as the Rus arrives in eastern Faerun. The Rus spark an insurrection among the native Rashemi against the court of Eltab.
Back to the index

Almarea90
Forum Moderator

Back to the index
Twin Terrors
Unknown Author

Throughout the ages there of course have been many great rivalries between two people or causes. It makes for a great story. It keeps people like me in a job I suppose.

However I might add that less rivalries are set to survive beyond age, but this one does. Rivals in life Efar and Polvich passed to Undeath Polvich the Lich, and Efar the Dracolich, each by separate journey.

Polvich created a cult following, one able to summon his essence by spell that he might yet torment the living world by their action and his will.

His route was by way of a book one of ultimate evil. It is said is written there how one might follow his path. That he lost the book which once influenced the events around the Friendly Arms before it was once again found and hidden by persons or creatures unknown.

Fortunately his lair, a demi plane was destroyed by heroes of the Coast, and creating his current lair keeps him occupied and he is little more than a summoning of his followers for now!

Efar had gathered artifacts of Dragons and sacrificed himself at the hands of another allowing a group of mercenaries end his life that he might pursue Undeath. Located perhaps beyond the Coast it is rumored he would return and seek his own Cult, ousting his rival for the affection of the necromancers and Palemasters of the Coast.

This is where my story ends and yours begins. Twin terrors on the Coast!

Back to the index

Return to “Sword Coast Roleplay”