Dartryn's Journal and Spellbook

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

VDub

Dartryn's Journal and Spellbook

Unread post by VDub »

Dartryn Mallocant's Journal and Spellbook

Will contain personal thoughts as well as lessons learned for his teacher and fellow students. Notes on spells, usage and fundamentals as well as any theories he may have on spells.
Tholgur Steelsworn- "Ye want me'ta put a few bolts in 'im?"
Solomon, Luckbringer of Tymora ~ A copper to the Lady, returns tenfold in gold!!
VDub

Re: Dartryn's Journal and Spellbook

Unread post by VDub »

After hearing the lesson from Micar'mizzrym, Dartryn puts his best foot forward and dives straight into the questions given. Once complete he finds his way to The Shelf of Many Books to research the draconic language. After a few hours of candle burning, he heads off to meet his fellow students. They share a meal and talk about the days to come. Once back at The Blade and Stars he puts quill to parchment and enters into his journal the happenings of the day...

Several days upon the road and several more by barge, but...I'm finally here. The great city of Baldur's Gate. After stepping off onto the docks, I was approached by a kind young lad offering to give me a tour of the city. How fortunate! He showed me the in's and out's as well as the here's and there's. It's a lot to take in.

Not long after arriving, I was met by my new teacher. Micar'mizzrym. I don't know quite what to think of her just yet, but she has given the first lesson accompanied by homework. She had five question we were to answer about our interest in the arcane and such. The homework is to find a wand or bauble that contains a cantrip and secure it for the next lesson. Also, to meet and connect with the other students.

That brings me to Mia'lyreth. She seems to either be shy, or reserved. I'm not sure which yet. She's an elf. So that means I'll have to study twice as hard as she does. Everyone knows that magic comes easily to the elves. We talked a bit about magic and how excited we are to learn. Shared a meal at a place called The Lewd Lyre. Good food and very nice employees. I'll have to find a side job or two if I'm to eat like that more often.

I've yet to actually meet the other. Abarundahar. That's a mouthful. I think he's a human like myself. Thank the Gods! I would want to have to share a class with two elves. I couldn't imagine the pressure that would come with.

Oh! Draconic. I need to secure the means to learn this. Mia'lyreth said she's learned this long ago, so I'm already lagging behind. We are supposed to be able to write our names in Lokharic, along with our origin and a sentence about our latest dream.

I'd better put this down and get to studying. It's the beginning of a grand journey. I'm ready for it!
Solomon, Luckbringer of Tymora ~ A copper to the Lady, returns tenfold in gold!!
VDub

Unread post by VDub »

As the sun breaks across the highest buildings of Baldur's Gate, the city springs to life. Merchants readying their stalls, shop owners sweeping their threshold, ready for their first customers. Among these citizens bustling about is a young apprentice-to-be, eager to get his day started. As he makes his way through the streets, Dartryn offers smiles to those he passes. A cheerful "Good Morning!" is called out to those that return it. Through the East District and on to the Palace district he strides with determination. His path is clear. The Shelf of Many Books is where he is heading.

He greets the shop owner with a smile and purchases a single sheet of quality parchment with an added border. Smiling at his choice he sits at one of the tables within and writes a letter home....

Happy with what he's written, he makes his way, once again, through the Gate. Taking in all the sights as he meanders through the crowds. Dropping his letter off at The Merchants League to be sent back to Arabel. Making sure to offer a bit of what little coin he has to ensure it's safe arrival. With a handshake and a smile, he leaves to the City streets once more. The aspiring apprentice's path takes him out into the farmlands beyond the East Gate. He had heard about Wyrms Crossing, and wants to see it for himself...

VDub

Unread post by VDub »

With the time between lessons ever growing, Dartryn spends most of his time with his nose in a book. Soaking in all the knowledge he can from the small library in the Palace District. He stops most mornings and buys a pastry from a local vendor for the librarian at The Shelf of Many Books, trying to build a rapport with her. During one of his many visits, he sits and puts quill to parchment. Adding another entry into his journal...

While I await the next lesson, I've been spending a majority of my time nose deep in books. Subjects such as the various schools of magic and what they mean at their core, the safe practice of magic, the laws in Ducal lands and it's environs as well as histories of significant mages throughout the Realms.

Of all the schools, evocation grabbed my interest the most. The idea of all that raw arcane power coursing through you, and you are the one in control of it. It excites the mind, to say the least. Abjuration and Illusion claiming a close second to it. The more I read about the schools, the more my mind battles for which will claim the title “Favorite”.

While taking a break to studying, I've taken up fishing again. Abarundahar seems to enjoy it as well. Not a bad way to gather a little coin for room and meals. In our exploration, we've found a few honey holes. It's sort of like meditation for the mind. Just you and that line in the water. Peaceful.

In our travels, we've met a woodland gatherer named Tovah. A kind and curious man, with eyes of yellow. We spoke for a short time, his voice never breaking a whisper. He offered to show us how to forage the local flora, if we would show him how to fish. Agreements were made. He was kind enough to leave us with a few of the herbs he had collected, and instruction on proper use. I hope to cross paths with him again. I feel there is much knowledge to be learned behind those yellow eyes.

My Lokharic is getting better. I'm able to write my name. I'm sure it still needs work, but it's coming along...

VDub

Unread post by VDub »

After purchasing a number of books from the librarian, Janice, at The Shelf of Many Books, the young apprectice makes his way to one of the gardens within the Palace District. There he sits with his books, a water-skin and a few apples to study the various methods and histories of magic in the Realms. After a few hours of reading, Dartryn takes his journal from his backpack along with his travel quill and ink to write an entry. Once finished, he returns to his studies...

VDub

Unread post by VDub »

As the dark blanket of night crept over the sky, Dartryn found himself at the Blade and Stars, entering into his journal the days events. He would pause several time while writing this entry. Contemplating the words spoken to him, trying his best to put them to parchment.

I had the honor to speak to a Lord of Mystery from the Church of Mystra in Balder's Gate. His name, Oryoon Archost. My impression of him is that he is a kind and helpful man. When I approached him and asked for a bit of time and for him to answer a few questions, he did not hesitate. When I explained to him I was trying to gather some extra credit for my teacher, he was all to happy to help me achieve that goal.

The first question I asked was, of all the eight schools which does he hold in the highest regard and why? His answer was this...

“"Highest regard? I don't think I discriminate, I'm afraid. The Weave is a wondrous mystery and She teaches us to love magic for itself, not just for its utility. So I have no preference on school, for they are all capable of great wonders, and all hold deep mysteries we always seek to illuminate."

My second question was this... Of all the spells known in the first through third circles, which is your favorite and why? Also, if I provide a scroll, could you be bothered to scribe it for me? His answer was this...

"I'm not sure I have a favourite, like with schools. But perhaps I can offer you a thought: What spell you use and reach for, will depend on the situation. And as Lord Azuth teaches, true wisdom is knowing when not to reach for spells. When magic will only complicate or is excessive."

He continued to say that he would provide me with a spell that he felt I should be aware of. He gifted me the spell of Silence. He said it symbolizes a deeper meaning and left me with one riddle.

“What do you do when something prevents you from performing magic?"

It's something I'll need to think about. He spoke quite a few morsels of knowledge that I'll need to think about, such as...

"Remember, the Weave and Mystra are one. Magic is a goddess - a woman, with emotions and desires. Treat her with respect."

I'm sure this is something that slips the mind of the most practiced mage from time to time. Like the Goddess, our emotion affects the magic we perform and likewise the magic affects our emotion. The Lord of Mystery said that it goes both ways. Symbiotic.

He told me that to accept Her grace, it feels like a motherly embrace. Firm, but loving. I wonder if I'll feel that at all when gathering magic from the Weave? I hope so.

Oryoon told me that I was always welcome in the temple, if I needed guidance. That I should tell the others that as well. I'm happy to have spoke with him. I do hope that was just the first of many conversations.

I'm going to attempt to scribe the scroll he gifted me into my spellbook. I assume it will be nothing until I know the Weave. My Lokharic is getting much better now. I'll have my teacher look it over for mistakes...

Addendum: After speaking with Oryoon once again and finding out that the spell he gifted wasn't one I could learn or use, I've removed it from my spellbook. I'll use the ripped page as a reminder of this interaction.

Once finished with his journal, the young apprentice takes a fresh piece of parchment and attempts to scribe the spell from the scroll given. With careful hand he designs the spell upon the page...

(((The page is ripped from the spellbook, crumpled up and thrown in the fire)))