BGTSCC Discord BGTSCC IRC

Server Address: game.bgtscc.net
35/96
Last counter update:
2018-11-17 17:23:27

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lonesome Watch
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:02 pm 

Sad... He thinks. It seems to be the first word to come to mind every time he sees the sight. Every time. Such a stark reminder of his own past.

Lambe approaches the ruins with caution, and even a bit of respect. It would not be his first time spending the night within its broken enclosure and hopefully will not be his last either. Throughout the years he's found the place able to provide him adequate shelter from the elements, and the local wildlife. Looking around, he doesn't find a lot of useful remnants aside from the usual old chair that's kept its place. Whoever lived there had long gone. The ranger gets ready for the night, looking up to watch Selune through the open roof.

A house, like the trees that surround it, bears its own fruit. It provides a home. This one, or what is left of it, was someone's dream. The culmination of his toils. This was supposed to be a place of comfort and safety, providing warmth from the cold and shelter from the storms. His gaze takes in the rubble and broken foundations, all the while wondering. Had laughter sounded from within its walls at one point? Did the floors creak as they were treaded upon? He could only imagine the scent of supper riding with the breeze on a clear moonlit night. A lifetime ago, perhaps...

Life goes on. Only questions remain.

Post subject: Re: Lonesome Watch
Unread postPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:20 am 

"Wadd'ya think?" came a shrill voice from behind him.

The man tilts his head to find a couple of the feyfolk, pixies, hovering near his camp. He gets up from tending to the modest fire he started, slowly raising a hand to his unexpected guests.

"Just here for some rest..." he assures them.

Indeed, he had chosen that spot as a good camp site, his home for the next day or so as he sets out to hunt trolls and gather their hides. Hunting, after all, makes up a great deal of his life.

"He is nothing but a sneaker," the other one said.

"Oh no, he is a friend of the forest, of the Coast," the first one points out.

"I'm a ranger," he claims with a nod.

"We will test him..."

The sun had just graced the hills when he'd arrived to set camp. The ruins of Trollclaw Ford was not that far, but he knew the risks the closer he went, so he'd settled for that spot. And something still found me... he thought as the pixies continued to talk. They spoke of signs and acorns and changes, in a way only they could have made sense of.

"Things for ranger's doing," he heard the snarky one say.

"Yes, yes I'll get to that," the cordial one chided. They'd come to tell him about some druids and how they want something back. Acorns, druids, dream... he tried to make sense of it all.

"They lost it?" he asks.

"Told you he wouldn't get it," he winced at the snarky one.

"Please, I'm talking here," dismissed the other one. He always did regard the fey as a rightful part of the world he walks in. And that affords them respect in his eyes.

"Should have picked the troll, got more sense," voiced the second one. Good gods, give me a troll any day...Lambe groans inwardly. There are some things he simply would rather not deal with. And he does try to keep his distance when it comes to their kind. Yet he knows he could never truly be a simple outsider, looking into the circle. He's part of it. Admorin and his circle talk. he thought with a chuckle. The pixies finish their tale as he takes a deep breath.

"How long do I have?" he inquired.

"Slacker, knew it!"

"Well we don't know, do we?" offered the first one before they both flew off faster than he could follow with his eyes, as if vanishing into air.

Fey... he thought with a sullen shake of his head as he fetches his gear and prepares for the hunt ahead.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:01 am 

A wolf's head poked out of the tent's door, making him stop just a few steps from the vestibule. As it turned to look to each side, shadowed from the dusk's last light, the canine's missing jaw revealed the face of a man. The hardened yet fair expression on the wolf-skin clad hal-elf gave way to surprise upon seeing him.

"Lambe," the hunter greets with a smile as he steps out of his tent to offer his hand.

"Harrow," answers the ranger with a nod as he takes the offered hand for a shake. "Got something for you," he adds, eliciting an easy laugh from his host.

"Maltz got you running errands for him again?" Harrow inquired with an amused grin.

The ranger shook his head with a smile as he held up a bottle of his favorite brand, Flounder beer. He'd grown fond of the beverage during his time in Waterdeep and made sure to ask for the homegrown drink when chance presented itself, even years after.

"Aww," his friend exclaimed, grin on his wolf-gagging face, even as his hand made for the gift, "you didn't have to. I'm next door to a tavern, after all."

"I thought of commemorating the giants' attack here years ago," Lambe answers with a shrug. "Back when there was no tavern here, or much of anything else. When all you had for a neighbor was a church, and I don't think they serve these to just anyone," he adds with a smirk.

"Aye, I'll drink to that," his fellow woodsman said before disappearing back into his tent, only to return with a mug in each hand, offering him one. Harrow knew it just as well, when Nashkel barely had a wall to keep the dangers of the Cloudpeaks at bay. He'd been there to provide game for the few settlers and watch over the local wildlife. He'd watched his town grow. "What brought this on, all of a sudden?" He asked as he uncorks the bottle.

Lambe sets himself down on the ground by the tent's entrance, shaded by the cover. "An old friend has returned," he responds, thinking back on his recent conversation with Lance. He stared at the far banks of the river in front of them for a moment. "Got me thinking of old times..."

A simple nod was all he got as his friend quietly filled there mugs. Has it really been that long ago? Lambe mused. He'd seen friends come and go. Some have moved on with their lives, while others have lost theirs. He was surprised, quite frankly, that he's managed to stay here on the Coast. He came here with a purpose and never meant to stay for long, but alas, he had. From joining the Elder Circle, more and more seemed to keep him from even thinking about walking away.

"You've come a long way, old friend," Harrow offered before having a taste of refreshment. Both men resigned to simply watching the rapids, each lost in their own thoughts as the sun slowly set behind them. They'd spend a moment in each other's quiet presence, like they usually do whenever he was passing through the town.

You never know how far you've gone until you look back... The thought tugged on the corner of his lips at that moment, interrupted only by his friend's unexpected question, "So...when are you planning to settle down with someone?"

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:45 am 

He looks up at the carved image of the goddess. Her once detailed features now long worn and vague from years under the elements. He'd wondered how accurate the portrayal was, or who put it there, if it was indeed a person. Nevertheless, his own faith and imagination would help complete the image in his head.

Beautiful, strong, steadfast, fair...wise, he begins to think as he gazes up at her patron. He calls her The Lady, like so many others like him. For it is true they serve one as important as She. More than any other, he adds.

"Here I am once more, under your fold...", he trails as he struggles to find the words.

"You would not let me realize my dreams and...wishes", he whispers. A strange pang felt as the words are spoken.

He closes his eyes and utters prayers, seeking guidance and answers. His doubts and fears rushing screaming in his mind, only to be calmed by years of experience. Have faith, he thought. Continuing on with his prayers as he looks back on the many times he's felt Her grace, how he owes Her his life.

Blessed thee, Mielikki, Lady of the Forest,
By thy lead, life seeks to prosper.
Wounds, death, be put to the test,
Bless with thy grace so none may suffer.

I am the hand thou seek to offer,
To those of thy flock who go astray.
My path thou lead to the weaker,
Through hail and storm, thou shall guide my way.

Is this what you want of me?, he asks as he looks up finishing his prayers. Whatever the future holds for him, he knows not. Only that his path, with faith, is guided.