Jackard Marks' Journal

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

BDobolina

Jackard Marks' Journal

Unread post by BDobolina »

Entry One:

It has been several days since my arrival, but I am only now settling in enough to document progress. I've taken a suite at the Helm and Cloak within the Palace district, in hopes of bolstering my reputation as a serious trader. So far this has had poor results. Perhaps I should find cheaper lodgings.

Entry Two:

I've let several days slip past, once again. Father would scold me mercilessly for such shoddy record keeping, doubly so when he learned of my first foray into commodity trades here in the Gate.

I have established a supply of raw meats from a few local hunter-folk. Bears, for the most part, though it seems the locals also butcher wolves. So help me if this is dog I have traded.

I have determined trade schemes that show profit for both myself as well as my clients, Waukeen be praised, though it would take all the meat consumed in the Harbor District to earn riches as great as my fathers. It shall remain a revenue stream, but I must expand.

Entry Three:

I have come to terms with several of the locals that do business in the Wide, some buy laying out plenty of coin equipping myself. An early lesson in life. You must spend coin to earn at times.

While I consider none of them friends, by the grace of the Merchantsfriend I have used my position to favorably facilitate trades for several adventurers purchasing weapons and armor. I have begun to accumulate a small amount of coin. Nearly as much as I have spent..
Last edited by BDobolina on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jackard Marks - Waukeenar Merchant of Tethyr - "The bold find the gold, the careful keep it - and the timid yield it up."
BDobolina

Re: Jackardt Marks' Journal

Entry Four:

Of all the cooks on the sea, I've run into none other than ol Butch RotgutRockgut! I thought he would have surely walked the bottom of the sea by now, especially after what Maqus had told me in Zazesspur, but he was alive and as surly as ever.

We spent a tenday together, traveling areas that he is familiar with..bars mostly. We parted ways when we returned to the Gate, but have plans to reconnect soon.
Jackard Marks - Waukeenar Merchant of Tethyr - "The bold find the gold, the careful keep it - and the timid yield it up."
BDobolina

Entry Five:

Business is brisk and, by the Merchantfriend's blessings, a fair amount of coins turn daily.

My dealings in local foodstuffs have been most profitable. Not only for the coin, but for the connections it yields, and their exponential dividends. While this continues to flow steadily, I should look for other revenue streams.

Local sources for the most common adventuring gear have been found, though I could use a reliable source for potions and elixirs. Healing kits are able to yield almost half-again profits, which by any standard of business is strong, though volumes are lower than I'd hoped. Competition is very fierce.

I have mind to associate with one of the local costers. I have heard tell of the Sword Coast Exchange Commission; the potential there is intriguing. Perhaps I should set a meeting with one of their own to see if I would be a good fit, and how best we can serve one another.

Another avenue of possibility is a group that calls itself the "Badgers". I have heard there are multiple people involved, but I've only heard specifics about a green-adorned hin by the name of Pokey. I could be mistaken, but his tone after learning my business seemed a bit protective and territorial. We will see where that leads. There is certainly coin enough for all in this city..

Today I deliver another load of various meats, and have an arbitration client lined up for purchase of goods from the Wide. By Waukeen's grace today will prove most fortuitous.
BDobolina

Entry Six:

I knew upon my arrival that the competition in this city would be great, but it has proven far greater than even I had presumed. It has proven a obstacle that I have yet to find a path around.

It seems that of the factions I have identified.. few seem to go without their own merchant on retainer, or within their ranks directly. They seem to huddle, in keep and in tavern, their view of the markets naive and parochial.

There are no traders' clubs, no proper temple to the Coin Maiden. Though I continue to stack coin while seeking customers in the Wide, there must be larger opportunities about.

A decision may need to be made, soon, on whether I continue the family business, attempt to form a priakos of other independent traders, or ally myself with a willing faction. The Golden Lady's blessings upon me, I know not what to do.
BDobolina

Entry Seven:

What a journey this has been! The Luckbringer, Solomon, and I had a chance encounter along the Northern Tradeway and have begun traveling together, exploring the Coast. It has been a few years since our paths last crossed, back in Murann on the Tarseth Bay. At the time he was running numbers on a fighting ring, and I'd won big. He and I ended up sailing together from there to Athkatla, but I'd not seen him since. Luck surely follows the man. Between his Lady and mine, we are sure to succeed.

Two villages, wildly different but equally interesting, are of special note at this time.

Soubar, with its monstrous populous and rough-and-tumble markets, has earned a special place in my trade journal. No shortage of coin there, and with trouble brewing from Dragonspear, the Troll Hills, the Orcs, and gods know where else.. the place is ripe for profit. It may be those very threats that make it a lost cause, however. Only the Coinmaiden can tell.

Greenest, the sleepy yet idyllic little hamlet within the Greenfields, suffers a dearth of open markets and trade, but calls to me most strongly. I should wish to arrange a meeting with this Dahrva Scatterheart, whom I am told is in charge, to make known our intentions there. The bold find the gold, after all.
BDobolina

Entry Eight:

A tidy sum in hand, we've moved along from Soubar. In truth, while coin spills as often as blood, it reminds me too closely of the lands I left behind. There are too many differing factions sitting idly by while what could be a promising opportunity is wasted. We haven't the manpower or resolve to worry further. On to "greener" pastures, so to speak..

In Greenest I've begun reaching out to the locals. The hamlet holds great promise but commerce seems largely untapped. Perhaps with assistance from the Merchant's Friend I can ascertain what is needed and convince an artisan or two to relocate. With coin moving more freely all will benefit, and all will feel the warmth of golden success. A blacksmith, livery, and perhaps a fletcher would seem to make sense?

We move forward.
BDobolina

Re: Jackard Marks' Journal

Entry Nine:

As I continue to divine the lay of the land here in Greenest, I have initiated planning of a new revenue stream, one I saw successfully managed in the markets of Zassespur some years past.

There a dwarven fellow did swift arbitrage between adventuring sorts with exotic plants, meat, horns, feathers, and other miscellaneous by-products of the adventuring life. It was truly a blessing of our lady of gold to witness the diminutive fellow turn coin the way he did, and I wish to replicate that here.

Firstly, however, I must develop an inventory of available resources. What do local merchants demand? What is in need, and what is easily able to be obtained? I have begun a short registry of materials that I have been made aware of since my coming to these lands. I am hopeful I will find an adventurous band to find samples of each, and perhaps expand this list in the process.
BDobolina

Entry Ten:

Progress is swift. The Procurement Registry fills quickly, as contracted adventurers and hunters have supplied us with ample specimens. Solomon and I researched some on our own, as well. Market tests have been performed on many of these products, and there may be room for profit if supply can be managed.

There are a few items yet outstanding, needing to be obtained. I have asked our most efficacious hunter to obtain them. I believe he will do so quickly, as per his norm.

Traditional arbitrage continues at a rapid pace as well. By brokering just a handful of goods I have made a considerable sum, enough to fund future exploratory programs.

I have received a letter from a member of the Northern Watch. An enigmatic name, Borte-Suul was the author. They have requested a sturdy yet exquisite blank book, ready for their writings. The expectations were great, though nothing I feel is out of reach. The issue here is.. who is Borte-Suul? I know nothing of him.. or her.. and what they may find garish or distasteful.

There is work there to be done.

*the next sheet is a listing of items obtained*
Hidden: show
BDobolina

Entry Eleven:

Where to begin..

The village of Greenest is home. I feel more at home in the tavern here than I have in any place these last seven years, perhaps ever. Orniff serves the finest, the company has been grand. Solomon has recently defended the place, along with others, at the risk of his life against marauding vampires or undead of sorts. Tymora has always had his back and this was no exception. Somehow he walks among us, a lucky man.

The revenue stream I debated upon a previous page is proving to be lucrative and fairly self-sustaining. Solomon and I have formed the Rocky Creek Trade Company in order to facilitate this business, and we have a steady-enough supply of goods to keep us fed and drunk.

The brokering of magical goods has continued at a steady clip as well, and that is where the reserves come from.

Reserves are well enough, and food supplies most plentiful, that we were able to share in our bounty with the refugees from Tymount, now staying with the Radiant Heart. Displaced by trolls, devils, and gods know what. The Northern Watch purchased every last pound of meat we'd stored up, and we cut them a deal of a lifetime. I believe them when they say they are grateful, and it feels good to help.

The - *it is stopped and scribbled out*

That is all for now.

Return to “Character Biographies and Journals”