Portends of an Archmage

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

Mythic Revenant

Portends of an Archmage

Unread post by Mythic Revenant »

Curious...

This is an unusual place, the coast. Never in my life have I ever seen such a vast collection of wanderers, misfits, lightbringers, fools, entertainers, misers, and... Well, you get the idea. Although Highmoon is not without its societal issues, some of the individuals here speak and act with reckless abandon. That isn't to say that there aren't those without any merit. I've met quite a few in my days here that are genuine and kind. Some have become quite valuable colleagues that I intend to stoke the relationship further. You know, it never occurred to me until now but... Perhaps it was by some divine maneuvering that I found myself in the Lewd Lyre those many days ago. The concept of building something out here was never on the agenda, no no. I wasn't sure until just the other night when I laid to sleep after a long day with Oth that... perhaps that is the direction to go. The Thayans here have... some presence but I would wager it is more political than anything. So long as they do not interfere. If they do, then... I'll deal with them if it comes to that.

Unfortunately from what I have seen so far there are not many studious practitioners of the Art. There are many that are blessed with Mystra's touch, yes, but these are small parlor tricks. Most use it to supplement their martial prowess. Not very many who dedicate their life to the craft. Aside from the Red Wizards, of course. I've met only two, and one just in passing. Isabella is a blood-borne and, although quite powerful, the way we manipulate and interact in the Weave is very different... I will need to accelerate my studies. I've gathered a few books that have some notes worth taking a look at. Mainly scrawlings but they may be the lead I need...

That said, this devil business is quite fascinating. Dreadful, yes. But also fascinating. I never in my life would have imagined coming to Baldur's Gate to study my art and be thrust into the machinations of mountains and men. I have gotten into contact with the Circle, but they are still recovering from the northern campaign. I have sent a missive to the Dwarven kingdom of Kraak Helzak and I do hope that this will prove fortuitous. If the devils decide to attack Doron Amar before we are ready, I am afraid it will be lost. Buildings we can replace. Lives are an entirely different matter.

I am also waiting to hear back from someone... This... Mark individual, put in contact through Isabella. I hope knowing his true name will garner at least a meeting.

I feel like I'm being dragged in eight different directions with juggling these newfound responsibilities and keeping on pace with my studies.

Speaking of which... I should probably stop writing in this damn thing and get to it.
Artorias Withermore - The Portends of an Archmage

Hanzo Nakamura - Samurai of the Nakamura Clan

Mythic Revenant

Re: Portends of an Archmage

I don't even know where to begin. The last few tendays have been... Let's just say Elias would commend me for my patience! This will be a long entry, so for anyone who happens to be reading this, or to my future self, sorry.

Let's clear the air here. I don't dislike Carah or Flint. That would imply that there is some kind of emotional tie that just doesn't exist. Carah is far too "secret spy master, no one must know anything about me!" to Flint's chronic alcoholism and inability to manage and maintain his anger. Not to mention those other things which I won't put down here. Secrets, you see. The coast is full of them. Which is fine. Information is a currency all in itself. However, I did not foresee getting dragged into some plot involving a potential liches, Zhentarim, merchants. embroiled in conspiracy. If I put down all the facts (and I use this term incredibly loosely) that I know through various sources, the convoluted mess would no doubt convince the reader they are reading a manuscript for a new Gnomish Automatic Lavatory System. To make matters worse, any time we make any headway in reaching an endgame, something gets tossed into the center of it. To be blunt, these new revelations do not bode well and have complicated matters in such a way that it will be difficult, if not impossible, to remain on the sidelines. Perhaps I should remove myself from the equation entirely... I need to think more on this.

Furthermore, on a better note, I was given a rare opportunity to visit Doron Amar and their Wizard Tower. Built by Dwarven hands as a show of thanks when the Elves took them in during their time of need, it stands as quite a sight. The inside even more-so. I managed to procure several scrolls from their library. Very powerful magic. It did give me further thoughts on the design of the College. I've already spoken to a representative of Kraak Helzak on this matter and I eagerly await word on their decision. The only thing remaining is to speak with Oth and Nathan... But I'm getting ahead of myself. All in all, Doron Amar was a sight to behold. Truly the grace of the Elven people has not been understated. And this Ashlyn woman... I'm still unsure of what to think of her.

The time I spent there, although brief, was a rare insight. The Elves possess a strong tie to the Weave. I was informed of their Bladesingers and Olin Gisir. Both will require further research. Perhaps in some of those old tomes back at The Leaves. My studies have been progressing, although slower than I would have liked. Research into the Astral has been slow-going but I after speaking with Edelgarde about the possibility of reaching a deal with a planar being proved fruitful. I had my suspicions that these beings of great power could be bargained with, at great price no doubt, but the idea of True Names was a revelation. In my time at The Leaves I don't recall if any of those tomes contained this but they do exist... Perhaps I need to reach out to Elias and see if he can find something. Come to think of it, I need to write the old man a letter regardless... I'll send word within the next tenday.

Now, this business with the devils. We were certain that the devils had made some progress into the Wood of Sharp Teeth but having just recent communication from Master Fensen, Arch-Druid of the Circle... He and his rangers could find no trace. This is incredibly troubling. Either they are hidden even from the magic of the druids or they are simply not in the Wood. Which is good for Doron Amar but poses an even bigger question, and potential risk, to the surrounding lands. What are they after?! I spoke to Atria of Candlekeep and Doron Amar and she revealed some crucial information, mainly of details from the conflict with the devils to the north where the mist had taken the land (which has been eradicated by the Circle). I know the Devils are master tacticians. They do not behave erratically, even tho they may seem like they do. They are driven, near a hive-mind aspect, by a singular purpose. Then there is the talk of Amn and parley. What are those fools thinking? The one thing about this entire situation is that we are no further than we were when the devils broke the cordon. This is proving to be incredibly frustrating.

Lastly, Kraak Helzak. When I spoke to the representative from the Dwarven kingdom I took the opportunity to put forth a proposition. The coast this far south needs a College. Yes, there is Candlekeep but they aren't a school. They are, much to my annoyance and amusement, simply an exclusive book club, as it were. There is much knowledge in their halls from everything on how to cook wild mushrooms (should have probably invested time in this particular field given recent events) to interplanar travel and tomes about the extrapolation of the Weave. There is also the Thayan Enclave but several issues are present at this, least of which is the problem of needing to shave all my body hair off, including my hair. To this, I spoke with Master Stonecutter about offering work to the Dwarven people, helping bolster their economy, and creating jobs for their citizens. I have seen what they can build, having visited the Wizard Tower in Doron Amar, so I have no doubt that they have the capabilities. It would also be a rare opportunity to watch their engineers at work. The question is of funds. My coffers constantly run dry having to buy tomes and texts and research material from the various parts of the coast from Soubar to High Hedge.

I need an investor... and sleep.

Mythic Revenant

29 Nightal, 1355

We finally heard word of the Devils to the south near Amn. It would appear our suspicions that they were cohorting with the Devils have proven to be relatively false, but I cannot truly put the possibility to bed. The Amnians are... reckless at times, but by no measure are they stupid. They may have downplayed the threat the Devils have, but they did not have Hellsteel Tower to contend with, did they? All in all, those that gathered in defense of the coast were seasoned veterans. Each with their own strengths and weaknesses but together we complimented each other. Spells and arrows tore through the Devils as they engage head-on while steel rended flesh. They seemed out of their element. Not the usual trickery. It was, for all intents and purposes, an easy battle...

That is what worries me.

Atria told me about the northern battles a year or so ago. About what they found. What the Devils were after. To see a Paeliryon would have been a sight! A vicious Devil with a voracious appetite, the gluttonous fiend was put down. And a Hellfire Wyrm! Part of me wishes I was here to see it. To know what it is like to be in the presence of such powerful beings. Which makes it all the more interesting. Perhaps the Devils have begun their death throes. Whatever it may be, more work is to be done. I have advanced significantly since my arrival here to the coast through both study and field training. Perhaps it has something to do with what is happening to me...

30 Nightal, 1355

There is something certainly happening. I've begun seeing things. Nothing malicious, of course. They seem like long, wispy tendrils of silk. Like long, flowing tapestries. They appear translucent and shimmer in chromatic colors with touches of metallic. I catch them in my peripheral from time to time but others don't seem to notice them. They pass through... seemingly unharmed. It's also odd. They don't seem to float with the wind, either. It is as if they are entirely separated from this plane, unobstructed by our physical laws. Is this what I think it is? I... can't be sure.

Another thing of note is my eyes... Atria was the first to notice as we sat in the Lewd Lyre talking. The color of my eye, the iris, seems to be moving on its own. Like a pool or river. A current of aquamarine that doesn't seem to move with any real purpose. How have I not ever noticed this before? I'm not entirely sure when it actually started, either... With each passing of the sun I've been feeling more... full? Is that the right word? Complete? Oh, gods, I hope this isn't delirium. It is something I will need to look into.

As an aside, I've also been fascinated with the Netherese kingdom from ages past. Before the rise of Mystra, when the deity was known as Mystral... Magic, unabashedly used and purposed... Evidence of spells of the 10th... 11th... even the 12th circle. Of course, there is a reason we as mortals are no longer allowed to access such power. The Netheril were so powerful they had floating cities above what is now known as the Anauroch desert, to our northeast. I'm... hoping to find some information about the Astral. More than just the writings of a scholar but actual writings. Notes. Anything. Hells, I'll take a sketch or two at this point. Perhaps Ulcaster's will have the answers I seek...

Mythic Revenant

31 Nightal, 1355

Well... Happy New Years Eve?

Hell of a way to break into the new year. 1356. Huh. Year came and went quickly but looking back? I've grown considerably. I've only been in the Gate for about a month or so? A bit more, but... the days have been running together lately. There have been many nights where I have simply fallen asleep at my desk waking up only to find the page stuck to my face and the ramblings of some long-dead Arcanist engraved in my skin for a time. Some of these works are wonderful, of course, but sometimes you must take a day to recenter yourself. I ended up passing out exhaustion in Ulcaster's Library. Thankfully Oth was there to awaken me, scattered among me research tomes on transmutative works and anything that may mention Netheril or the Nether Scrolls.

Yes, yes. Isabella already warned me about going after such powerful magic, but I've no desire for that. I want to know how.

I was finally able to get away for a time. Ended up heading south toward Neshkel, outside of Ulcaster's (okay, so maybe I didn't really get away but... I need new spots) and ended up running into a group of individuals out hunting wyverns for meat and tail. They seemed a fair good folk. A couple I already know. There was Lacey, Elsinan, a woman named Grimor (who can take quite a beating), as well as a half-orc by the name of Logrum. He's quite well-spoken and seems like a proper fellow. I like him. Remind me to take his threats seriously.

We were in Neshkel sitting around the campfire when another Elven woman approached us. I... rightfully can't remember her name right now, which will be funny later, but Logrum was, I believe, speaking with the local merchant about some wares so he wasn't there. She approached and began making conversation, if one could call it that. When we didn't reply quick enough she reiterated with a, "I said..." This is not a good way to make friends. Enter Logrum, who approaches Elsinan (who had been standing near this odd Elven woman) and boisterously slaps him on the shoulder and says, "Pick up another elf, eh Elsinan?" A bit crass? Sure. Rude? Arguable. Insulting? Not by any real measurement. Besides, she could have easily said that it bothered her and he would have apologized.

She decided to take things the absolute opposite and wrong direction. Diplomacy and decorum. These are important aspects, and here is why. Shortly after her third insult, which I think came as "Ugly, Stupid, and Violent", she was warned once that one more word will have consequences. As soon as the words began spilling from her mouth I watched, in near slow-motion (no, don't think I caused that, either), as a warmace crashed into the side of her skull. It was so quick no guards saw it and even the hunter nearby seemed to be looking in the opposite direction, whistling a tune. That said, we did end up taking her to the cleric nearby and although physically fine she was...

Let's just say if a massive half-orc caving in half your skull in one blow won't teach you a bit of restraint then I'm unsure what will.

Regardless, I sit here, penning this entry for gods-know what reason, wine-glass in hand of my preferred 1333 vintage red, I must say that...

1356 is looking like it is going to be particularly interesting.

Cheers.

Mythic Revenant

3rd Hammer, 1356

So... Speaking with Isabella about this interesting new development I've had with the change in my eyes. So far it has been benign. Nothing else seems to have changed. That said, she warned me of "leave whatever it is I'm doing alone", or some such. I can't quite remember specifically but she was certainly hinting at the fact that I might be meddling with things outside of my sphere of control. But that's just it. When this happened, I wasn't. But that gave me an idea... As the saying goes, there are more things to the heavens and earth, and so on. I remember coming into contact with a beholder deep below Lion's Way where the gnolls reside. Well, where do beholders come from? No one really knows for sure but most agree that it is very much a possibility of the Far Realm. Abberations, they are called, and they are not the only ones. Illithids that skulk the underdark and occasionally make their way to the surface are also a known abberation. There is one in Soubar selling scrolls, even! Oth did tell me that there are several Illithids in Durlag's Tower. Perhaps a visit is in order in the future.

That said, I did end up procuring several eyeballs and eye stalks from beholders. I'm certain their abilities come from an innate gift that they possess, but it cannot hurt to try and verify this. Why do I always find the incredibly dangerous things the most fascinating? There is also an option of getting into contact someone from the Upperdark to perhaps acquire some of these research materials. Those underneath us in the labyrinth of caves know more about them than I do, or some on the surface, even. That presents a host of new problems and hurdles to overcome. In time...

Short entry today. I have a mixing bowl full of eyes I need to get back to before they become gelatinous...

Mythic Revenant

6 Hammer, 1356

Couple of things to note so I don't forget them.

First, apparently there are Drow and Illithid within Durlag's Tower, as told by Atria. She has asked my help in securing the area and thinning the population within Durlag's Tower, as they stand as a direct threat to Doron Amar and Gullykin. It just so happens I am researching abberations and how they function. Although I do not have space for a proper laboratory, even having samples of the Illithid might provide some wisdom. The idea of vivisection on a capture Illithid did come to mind but where would I store it and where would I perform the process? There is also the question of how to capture one without damaging it? And of course Oth overheard me speaking of vivisection... We'll get to that later.

Second, I need to search for a place that is keenly attuned to the Weave. A place where I can meditate without being disturbed by banditry or wildlife. Atria made an interesting point on these... odd "tendrils" that happen to snake in and out of my periphery. I have a few theories myself, but I need time. I was told that there is a magical "circle" in the Cloudpeaks that may be what I'm looking for. Of course, I will need to contend with frost giants and frost wyrms, but they shouldn't be too big of an issue, especially if the circle is a bit out of the way of the main paths they take. It is on my itinerary for the next day or so.

Lastly, Oth... And I have the displeasure of meeting this Fingal and Kitsy, finally. Let's talk about Fingal first and the lasting impression the man made on me in the first, and only, five minutes of meeting him. Azariah typically keeps her familiar nearby, if not on her person, and it takes the form of a cat. Apparently Fingal hates cats... Hates them to the point of drawing a blade on Azariah. What kind of lunacy is this? THIS is the name I attach my own to? Oth said he no longer represents the House and is not a part of it, so why the HELL is he making any rules and threatening patrons? And why the hell has no one stood up to him? Unbelievable.

Then there is Kitsy... Oh. My. A powerful hedge mage that is touched in the head... Who finds it appropriate and hilarious to cast such powerful magic as of Greater Ruin on slimes. And not the large, gelatinous "city-eating" type of slime. I mean the annoying kind that latch onto your foot and you need to shake off viciously. She did not do this once, but twice within the sewers of Baldur's Gate, with no regard whatsoever. What if a portion of the sewers collapsed due to her ignorance? What if it attracted far more powerful, ancient creatures to us, who feed on the Weave and powerful magic? Consequences, it would seem, are a foreign concept to her. I left quickly lest my own spells fly to remove such a creature from this plame.

Then Oth. Somehow he took it upon himself to offer me "advice" on how not to be... me? How insulting. I was angry and upset, yes. Was I contemplating handing over my keys at that point? Yes, I was. I only have one name and it is important to me. Who or what cause I attach it to is important to me as it reflects upon my own person. And somehow the conversation shifted from this to how "I am not -just- a mage". First of all, I am an Arcanist. An Archmage, tho I don't call myself as such. I have earned that title. Then he goes on about how I've been changing? How? I'm still the same Artorias I was when I came to the coast. Perhaps a bit more outspoken, but the same nonetheless. He called me cold and detached. I think he's overly emotional and attached to meaningless things. He and I are quite different and have been since we've known each other. I thought this was evident.

Then he asks for my keys... If he wishes me out of the House because I'm not some simulacrum of some idiot who gets drunk constantly, wants to party, and laughs all the time!? Fine. Take you're goddamn keys.

Though, somehow, Carah still retains her keys even after dragging several individuals into some idiotic plot involving Morgan, taking a meeting with the Blackrose clan in Beregost, and running away into danger as opposed to staying put and remaining safe.

Yet I am asked for my keys because I take my research seriously and I love what I do and who I am.

Now I'm sitting in a room in the Friendly Arm, my pack horse outside, and the vast majority of my belongings either in this room with me or carefully stowed away with the horse until I can find more suitable lodgings.

I need to find a home.

Mythic Revenant

19 Hammer, 1356

Been quite a while since I last wrote in this journal... a lot has happened so let’s break it down in sections...

Devils, Dragonspear, and Celebrities

I was not expecting my arrival to the Coast to be at the tail end of a massive war with the devils. With Baator. It culminated in a siege on Dragonspear, the last bastion of the hordes of Avernus. I thought that the battle would have been harder fought with no word from the Council on any strategy with prominent volunteers. I half expected to simply throw bodies at the problem, hoping it would be enough. I was pleasantly and happily incorrect. Although lives were lost, the will of the Hells was broken here in the Prime... and it also helped that we had two of the most prominent and powerful Arcanists in Toril fighting at our side. Blackstaff and Elminster. Watching those two Weave was a marvel and at several points even flew above us! At one such time they even turned a horde of Pit Fiends into... chickens. Satisfying watching those flightless birds plummet to the ground. I hope to one day achieve such gifts, Mystra be willing...

Astral and the Weave

This affliction of my eyes and sight at first was extremely troubling. I wasn’t sure what to make of it and couldn’t discover at any point what bits of my research could have caused it. Isabella thought I was meddling in Planes I shouldn’t be (she wasn’t necessarily wrong, but... precautions were taken) and Atria thought it was some curse she had witnessed before. However, it seemed to be benign. After Dragonspear I went to a cave in Speartop, near the White Dragon that rests there. The Great Wyrm, thankfully did not bother... but I found what appeared to be a beacon of some sort. Oth has taken me here before the siege and... well, I spent the next two days in a trance state of meditation. My body remained, shielded by what I can only assume was Mystra’s hand, and I ascended into the Astral... and that is where I discovered what this was, at least in part. I feel... more attuned to the Weave. Closer. The tendrils I see are bits of the Weave as it ebbs and flows throughout Toril and my eyes? Those eyes that if you stare long enough into feel to go deeper... and deeper... like an endless, infinite void of swirling energy... perhaps I brought back a piece of it with me when I began reaching out to it? I’m... still not sure but... it feels right. It feels like a part of me now.

Drow Apprenticeship?

I met a Drow archmage outside of Durlag’s one afternoon... offered me apprenticeship....

The Center for Development and Inquiry - CDI

This... this actually requires its own entry but I’ll put the basics here for now. After meeting a dwarf by the name of Magnus Brightmantle, a curious dwarf by an agreeable one, who spoke of an academy or some kind of college. This is an idea I’ve been sitting on for quite some time but... with everything going on I didn’t feel like I was able to dedicate enough time. He showed me that if not now, when? If not me, who? From this spawned The Center for Development and Inquiry... or CDI for short... or should it be Center of? Curious grammar... anyway, I began to inquire around to see if this was even something some along the coast would be interested in and... much to my surprise, the idea has garnered some attention. There is also a partnership with Candlekeep that I will write about later in more detail but I feel like this is the right direction to go. Where others before me have failed, I will succeed.

Now, I need to drink the rest of this wine and get some rest. The coming months and years will be very interesting.

I haven’t even mentioned the Netherese Ruins yet... another time.

Mythic Revenant

Midwinter, 1356

Busy, busy, busy...

The location for the Center has been decided upon. The Trade Way, just north of Beregost, is the desired location. There is an area just above the waterfall where there are some derelict carts and equipment left behind from some forgotten project. We'll need to deal with the wildlife in the area, hiring guards for the crew when work begins. On that topic, I still need to meet with Master Stonecutter about the logistics. I spoke to Nathan a bit ago about utilizing his stone that the House imports from Waterdeep... but that remains to be seen which stone I choose to use. The current thought is to have a square building with a hollow center that rises two floors with the research laboratories buried deep underground and access to the pocket dimension for the more dangerous experiments. I truly hope that Dimitry decides to join the Center but even if not, if he will lend his aid in performing the spell.

To that end, I have secured the aid of House Vale for my purposes of heading into the Upperdark to thoroughly examine the Netherese Ruins. The time and day which this will happen is still being determined but I was hoping Sy'gile will be available to accompany me. An extra set of eyes that have experience with the Netheril will be a boon. That said...

Recently I embarked into Durlag's Tower with Carah Evenwood, Flint, and Lylan in tow... I was given information about an artifact that resided within the Tower. A Cloak of Knowing, as it was described to me, created by an outsider by the name of Olfal in the name of Oghma... Elias would undoubtedly want to hear about this discovery. In the end, we scoured every level of the Tower until we managed to find our way to the third level of the Labyrinth. I've been through this place before, of course, but when we happened upon the portal room, where platforms rise above water with small foot bridges linking them together. Usually there is nothing here that poses much of a threat but this time? We found several undead, two of which were mages, and a pit fiend from the Hells itself!

All three of my compatriots fell as the chaos overwhelmed us. I alone managed to escape back out of the portal into relatively safety. I couldn't just leave them there... Clutching my scrolls of Raise Dead, I called upon the Weave and as I pushed back through the portal to the room, summoned a Solar who did its best to distract the fiendish enclave upon which we stumbled. The closest to me was Carah and I raised her, and when her soul came back to her body, eyes fluttering open in shock, I screamed for her to get through the portal. I followed right after, and the Solar... Well, he gave his being to protect us. His sacrifice did not go unnoticed. Carah was distraught when I told her that Lylan and her betrothed both lie dead on in that room... We tried to get to them but the massive Pit Fiend blocked access to their bodies. She would not leave them behind, and nor would I. Taking a moment to meditate and calm myself, I muttered a prayer to Mystra as I rounded back through the Wyverns, invisible to their eyes, and approached the opposite portal. By Her will, I entered, and immediately tugged on the Weave harder than I ever have done... Through the planes I resonated a calling to which, much to my surprise, a massive Omnimental pushed itself through the planar rift that hung in the air above the platform. It's massive form trembling the very foundation of the Tower itself. It immediately beset upon the foul beings and acting as my bulwark, I was able to unleash a torrent of Arcane energy against the invaders! Taking this cue, Carah entered through the portal and recovered their bodies. I followed shortly after, victorious, having destroyed all the enemies that lied before me...

Such power...

Upon one of their bodies I found this ancient cloak that we spent hours seeking. The mission was a success, and no one met their Final Death.

The next step was taking the Cloak into Ulcaster's. I read through some ancient tomes I managed to find that this cloak allowed the wearer to see hidden runes of knowledge that have been obscured by Ulcaster's magic. To confirm this theory, I delved into those ruins. I have no idea how many runes exist within but I managed to locate and recover three such runes. Small, almost imperceptible even with the cloak... As I touched these runes they glowed and I witnessed them actually scribe themselves onto the cloak itself. Amazing. Truly amazing. I only hope that these runes will uncover some information about this flute Carah seeks... and what other ancient knowledge may be hidden away.

This brings me to another interesting development... I had a young woman by the name of Nedalzha approach me about apprenticeship. Hard to fathom. I never thought I would ever be in a position to ever tutor someone in the Art, let alone taking someone as an apprentice. On the surface she seemed eager to learn with an intelligence behind her eyes. I hope this will prove fruitful for both of us. Perhaps I will take her to Ulcaster's with me next time I go...

Mythic Revenant

I'm... back...

What in the realms happened...?

Last log entry in this diary was... by the gods... a year?

Return to “Character Biographies and Journals”