Field Notes

Character Biographies, Journals, and Stories

Moderators: Moderator, DM

mastajabba

Field Notes

Unread post by mastajabba »

Working on a safe path for people on a pilgrimage to several of the Shrines in contested locations. So far the Path for those on the pilgrimage to the shrine of Eldath in the Reaching Woods is not 100% safe due to the current problems with the blood thirsty pack of Gnolls that have been tainted by dark occult forces and the draw the shrine has on the black hearted daehrow.

There is a a few bandits and some stray kobolds that plague the route to the shrine to Silvanus. Making it dangerous to the average citizen of the coast.

There is a rather loud and rowdy bunch of Giants that have taken up ambushing along the trade way south of the Candle Keep by the shrine to my Forrest Queen Mielikki. Unlucky for them I have no shortage of arrows to rain death upon them.

Other shrines in process of scouting in between assignments to support operations in Triel and this Demon and Spider incursions.

Nigel Blaquehawke
Squire, Order of the Radiant Heart
Ranger, Scout Squad
Protector Nigel Blaquehawke -Ranger/Scout- Order of the Radiant Heart
mastajabba

Field Notes

New Demon type encountered,

Name: Unknown (Consumption of the Void)
Race: Demon
Height: Estimated 18-23 feet
Description: humanoid demon with large horns. Armed with two giant swords.
Notes: this large demon seems to be a tier above the Balor Lieutenants we have been battling. He likes to attack in small groups of Balors, those bloated abominations and lesser flesh demons and winded demons. Has the ability to teleport across small expanses while engaged in combat. I know how many times he can do this.

He is magically warded. Defeating those makes it for a far more manageable battle.

Nigel Blakehawke
Ranger, Order of the Radiant Heart
mastajabba

Elemental Storm Beast

A while back I encountered an elemental beast south of Beregost.

Name: “Sparky”, real name unknown
Description: about shoulder heigh for a man at the crest of it’s back. Black fur with two long tendrils that come out somewhere near the shoulder blade. Has 3 pairs of legs and eyes that burn white light lightning.

Demeanor: sentient, seemed to be injured and scared. I was able to use a heal kit on it. It then was startled and it gave me a a unique scar/burn on my left arm that seems to be linked to the creature and storms in general. The closer the weather the more the mark reacts.

Current status of the creature: taken by Red Wizard’s of Thay.

Nigel Blakehawke
mastajabba

Poachers

Following a vision from Miliekki I was sent on task to find and stop a rather bothersome crew of poachers that have been working out of south of the Lion’s Way near Miliekki’s shrine. They have been staying across the waterfall and the roving bands of Giants and staying well enough from the roving bands of goblins that lurk outside the citadel ruins.

This operation consisted of four to six hunters. It’s been hard to get their numbers as some clearly had good bushcraft. I stood at a small clearing going over their ambush site. They had set up a feeding station to draw in deer, boars or what ever stumbled by. They had constructed some lean-to’s covered with pine branches. Tied with dried jute twine. To act as a hunting blind. Here they sat for hours, I can see indentations where bodies sat for hours, the crumbs of their meals and the slight stench of week’s work of sweat and body odor. From here they fired and then moved in with what I believe to be a woodman’s axe to finish off their prey. Drag marks show that they used a heavy canvas tarp to drag the carcas away probably to a second site to be butchered and carved up. The person that took them has prints almost half a length deeper than the others. So must be a half-Orc or worst a giant kin.

I adjusted my bycrocket cap and moved further the trail parallel to the drag trail and keeping an eye for other hidden hunter blinds out there.

Nigel Blaquehawke
Ranger, Order of the Radiant Heart
mastajabba

Defensive overview of the Boareskyr Bridge

*silent steps cloaked in shadow as the Radiant Heart’s scout makes his way against the wind down from Thundar’s Ride to the banks of winding waters. The emerald archers took to the high ground near the southern banks looking over the old Northern Watch tower now crawling with Blackrose soldiers, volunteers and other unsavory characters like Black Network goons and stooges probably a Daehrow or two deep within its shadowy underground dungeons. He’d stay on the southern bank away from them. A man has a duty to himself and his code. And working with Dark Elves and Tyrant God’s stooges wasn’t part of his.

The bridge’s stones scared with char marks, cracked stones where heavy weapons, arrows & Bolts and the stray spell landed and bit into it. There was a thiefling laying down traps. While Ser Blake stood watch. A halfling known as “Chips” stood in overwatch with a wicked crossbow. I measured out shots from certain vantage points. Eyes choke points and picked out fall out positions and where a medical care triage could be set up. I made notes in my Field Journal and then stepped into the nearest sturdy birch tree. Stepping back out in the Eastern Farms Lands where Flaming First tee forced the walls of the Charter House.

In the coming days I would need to visit more fletchers. I will need more arrows.
mastajabba

Nigel’s Mead

Nigel sat in the courtyard of the Order of the Radiant Heart, near the road to Thundar’s Ride. He had with him part of a Queen less bee hive he had found near the Reaching Woods while out on patrol. From the condition of the hive a bear or a Gnoll with a sweet tooth must had gotten into the hive. He hoped the bee’s stung him bad enough to leave a lasting impression so he carried several buckets of water and set them down next to his nice large pot. Giving it a good clean as to avoid any odd flavors in the sweet honey wine.

Nigel then started to fill the clay plots with the cool fresh well water. Keeping the ratios good to ensure that spontaneous fermentation took place. A dash of his favorite Comyrian spice blend give the old mead a bit of a kick in flavors. He then used some beeswax to seal the pots placing them on an old wooden bench on the shade of the fortifications near the corner watch tower. A smile upon his lips as he lit his long pipe stuffed with smoking herbs. Taking deep long drags as he ignited the herbs and relaxed as he started to work on some fletching on his arrows. Now it was time to wait.
mastajabba

Ranger Caches

Nigel spent most of day replenishing some of his Ranger Cache’s and checking up on some. Stashing rations, ammunition, medical supplies and of course “operational tactical resuplies of Battle Booze” for when his flask was empty during patrol. Soon his mead will ferment and he could start to add mead to his patrol caches.
mastajabba

Trouble in Thay and my partner in shenanigans

Found out today I am an outlaw in Thay, not going to lie might as well be another medal on me chest. But regrettably that brings an end of trying to get Sparky back in the “Diplomatic” manner the Gran Knight and friend Lord Aaron Lyonaler would want me to deal with it. I guess I should talk to me mentor and Commanding Officer, Boots in some...

Non Conventional Warfare approach to getting ‘Sparky’ back. Thou I am sure I have some ‘xplaing to do. Think me report might had been a tad vague. But then again Ol’ Nigel be a man of action nae a man of written words and the like.

I think Elle Avery be in trouble. Some blokes have been looking for her and I seen how scared she looks. Mind you this lass throws downs with bloody Balors and more Undead than most seasoned Purple Dragon Pikemen have in their lives. But these wankers have her all sorts of nervous. So these Blokes are gettin ready to be indoctrinated into Nigel’s school O’ Arrows to Arses.
mastajabba

50 laps...

Ever been so tired that you kinda go into a daze? Where you become some sorta Iron Golem war machine just trottin’ along? Like an oxen pulling a field plow?

Something is off with me aim... I know me Nigel Fookin’ Blaquehawke. The champion of the northern elven village solstice festival archery champion? Not sure what’s affecting me aim but I mean I have in the past when sober nailed a few mates in the arse. He’ll I am sure that cheeky buggar Longfoot still raving about it. But I shot the bloody Lord Gran Knight the other night and not just once but with a volley of many shots.

I just finished fifty bloody laps around the courtyard of the Charter House with Ser Sean’s Bloody stupid rock. I swear that bloody thing has the curse of some ancient sadistic Druid because I swear it must had doubled in fookin’ weight by the time I finished my laps. Not to mention the bloody courtyard stretched out a league or two...

I’m too tired to even go for a dunk in the River Chlonthar to wash up the smell of sweat and arse. So I’m laying here by the bloody South Gate hoping the ever regular rain will come and give me a bloody wash.

I’m gonna speak with the Warden when I get enough energy to clean up and eat. Gonna see if she can train me in some of her sneak ways. Perhaps broadening me skill set as what I can do here in the Order of the Radiant Hearts path Vigilant. But for now I’m taking a bloody nap.
mastajabba

Protector Blaquehawke

*He steps out of the common barracks room, his Calvary styled dress uniform clean and pressed. He stood in front of a mirror adjusting some of the ornamental cords and aligning some of his personal awards.*

“ Clothes Maketh the Man, vestis virum facit”

* Nigel has been here not a year yet and he had found himself a home and a role. A new unit that quickly became like family from the Warden Boots an elfy master of the roguish arts. Who everyday walks the razor edge of her tradecraft and her duties as Captain of the Scout Section and the unofficial tasks of Mistress of Whispers. There is another member of our rough around the edges scout section Adrie. But I assume duties or personal manners keep her away.

Much like in the Purple Dragons of Comyr the Royal Scouts engaged in more than friendly inner battalion rivalry with the Battalion of Knights Proper and Clerics. Warden Boots scout squad has proven itself valuable in operations. But a tad misunderstood while in garrison. Well mostly with dolts who have no bloody understanding of a proper Expeditionary Combat Force. The main Body of Knights need support for the Clerics and from us Scouts to know enemy location, size, terrain and avenues of approach. Throw in the supportive power of a Comyrian Longbow or Warden Boots elven shortblades and you have a force multiplier. Having us Ranger & Roguish types also gives a different set of skills and views on any potential challenge.

But as much as I love being a rowdy fun bastard up for some cheeky shenanigans I have to answer to the Cloak I wear now. I have made an Oath and I have to do me best to Uphold the value of the Order. Plus my own personal ambitions to be the Sargent at Arms perhaps when things settle down train some of the Brothers in Defensive Archery and proper counter siege and breaching operations.
mastajabba

Recon Prep...

It feels just like the olden days working out of the old Purple Dragon, Royal Scout Barracks out of Eveningstar. But here now there are less of us that’s for sure. Me and the Warden, but don’t let that fool you Boyo. The Warden’s skill in shadow are beyond what any is if ever thought possible even past those of us trained in the Shadow Arts when we became part of King’s Messengers squad.

But this mission is better suited for my skill set than the Warden’s skill set. This would be a proper military scouting mission. At the request of Lieutenant Nails of the Flaming First mercenary company of Baldur’s Gate. I prepped my rangering equipment, double checking all my equipment, making sure there is enough wadding in my quivers to keep the arrows from rattling against each other. Making sure my sword sheath is padded so that it doesn’t slap loudly against my thighs as I move. Keeping my buckler on my sword’s hilt in case I have to really put my sword Oh Shyte Stick to use.

I checked my soft leather soled boots. As much as I love to give it to me elfy cousins, they sure know how to make a decent pair of Rangerin’ boots. Quiet and makes my tracks harder to spot and for them to figure out who I am.

Lastly my Bycrocket Cap. With it’s red feather and beaver pelt construction. Keep the run and more important water outta my face. The long pointy bill water away from my eyes. Time to go meet the Warden. The Radiant Heart Scouts have a Mission.
mastajabba

Griffon’s Feather and Tivex the Mighty

Over the long decades I served the Grand Kingdom of Comyr and here in the Sword Coast I have collected quite the collection of rare arcane artifacts to aid my duties as Lead ( and only )Ranger and Scout for the Order of the Radiant Heart. But of all the things the strangest aside from Sparky the Storm Elemental arcane mark that grants me warnings of incoming storms, it’s Tivex the Migthy cursed Griffon Feather...

This large unassuming feather carries a crippling curse. Aside from making one horrible at lying and reducing one’s wisdom. It is said to attract the fury of near by Griffons. Of course such item can be used in alternate uses. That I will have to discuss with the Warden.

Well it could be worst at least I kept my Comyrian Dignity around Tivex the Mighty, a rather cheeky Fairydragon. Unlike Avery who turned into a squealing adolescent and the Grand Knight who spent a sum of gems working a bind with the creature. Much to the Warden Boot’s pain.

Note: find out why the Warden is obsessed with jewels. I suspect it more than her roguish background.
mastajabba

Requiem

As the moon started it’s decent into the Horizon and the sun would eventually rise to the joy of the Lathanderites across Baldur’s Gate. I stood off deep in the woods near the banks of the River Chiontar. With a fresh jar of sweet mead and looking over moments of a life time away in Comyr.

Long ago I found myself much like now. A cocky scrappy scout freshly out of basic ranger/scout course eager to prove myself in the closest action to the Eveningstar barracks. The area known as the Haunted Halls. Back then I didn’t even have a beard so my elven side really showed. Like most scouts I preferred the looks of hoods to hide the longer than normal ears that give away who I was. After months of preparing for patrols and learning the skills to track and effectively engage undead. My squad was given the go for our first independent patrol. Without the guidance of Senior Scouts.

Our squad consisted of a team of 3 scouts, Rudy a large brawny human with a knack for dual wielding handaxes, Gwen who enjoyed using her shield as a weapon as much as her longsword and me with the Comyrian Longbow, the king of battle. Rudy and Gwen also carried short bows a i carried a short sword with a buckler strapped to its cross guard and hilt for life’s “oh shyte” moments. This was also the first time I meet the War Wizard who magically teleported us to our insertion point. The War Wizard known as Petunia.

Years passed and Rudy and Gwen grew closer. Our squad’s success lead to promotions and more assignments. Even got me sent to train with the elite Purple Dragon King’s Messenger where I honed my skills in stealth. Becoming a living shadow a master of concealment. I returned from that training to find that Rudy and Gwen had secretly gotten hitched by a discreet traveling priest of Sune. Over the years my encounters with Petunia continued. I swear she must had gone out of her way to get assigned to support my missions thou she always acted shy and coy like she didn’t recognized old Nigel Blaquehawke. Thou by now I had grown from an elfy faced lad. To a burly Royal Scout with a mustache to rival even the Purple Dragon Knights.

I continued to serve past the years of most Purple Dragons. Getting reassigned to different squad. Leading new Squads and eventually ending up as First Sword of the Royal Scouts in the Barracks of Eveningstar. After years in service I was finally asked by my commanding officer if I had anything more to my life than the Blokes at the Barracks and missions. I though of Petunia the War Wizard who still after these years I had been a Purple Dragon longer than most of the men in the Scout Regiment had been alive. So I finally mustered out and returned to civilian life in Eveningstar.

I inquired about a War Wizard named Petunia and after pulling a few favors I was able to track her down to a quaint small home in Eveningstar. By now I had started to grow my beard, now that I was out of the Regiment and could cut loose a bit. I got some flowers and some sweet honey wine. I mean what lass doesn't live a nice sweet wine. I knocked the door and in what seemed to take hours. With my heart thumping in my throat until I heard the latch unlocked and the door open.

Petunia stood there, her eyes still a deep rich brown. Now time had left crows feet by her eyes. Her usual half smile remained on her lips. Her posture seemed frail and she leaned on a cane as she looked at me. In those eyes she had no recognition of who I was...
mastajabba

The Apprentice

Soft supple leathers in a grayish hue. Not a sign of emerald or red anywhere on the newly commissioned enchanted set of masterwork padded leather armor. A grey scarf brought from a street vendor and common to the Baldur’s Gate sword coast region was then draped over his shoulders and wrapped around his face to conceal that trademark Comyrian Forked Beard.

He stood in the training room. Watching how shadows worked indoors. Quiet and contemplating the hardest part for the boisterous braggart ranger. But if he wanted to learn the mastery of the shadows like the Warden. Nigel would have to do something he had been doing subconsciously for most of his life. He would have to stop suppressing his elven half.

Breathe in and out... slowly... observe the moment and move as one with the shadows. How the light reacts to the candle, torch or even arcane lights with their constant steady stream of light. Patterns it’s all patterns.... slow down, Listen, look & feel

Working with the Warden Nigel learned that the forces of darkness hid in plain sight as rangers do in the woods. They wear masks of friendship and neutrality. But only seek to further their agendas. Not every problem needed the arrows to asses solution.

To protect the People of the Sword Coast, he would have be the best version of Protector Nigel Blaquehawke. To fitful his oath he would have to grow and some of that grow would mean coming to terms with his background. And it will mean learning new skills. These will add new tools so not every problem is solved by arrows to arses.

But as he started to write a letter to his mother. Some problems did require to be solved by Arrows to Arses. And for those problems he would have to seek help from Mum...
mastajabba

The Apprentice Chapter 2

Work continued as I now patrol in training gear. Relearning skills and adjusting skill sets. I find myself having some problems controlling my eagerness to engage with my Comyrian Bravado. I mean I have been a Ranger all my life and it has always been shoot first talk later as Warden Boot’s now is so well named....

I woke up today early even before dawn. I sat up on my
Bunk sore and sighed, I royally fracked up yesterday. My deep seeded hatred for Daehrow and all who aid them got the best of me. I assume that the Grand Knight is going to have a lecture prepared and the Warden a new regiment of physical reminders. But there needs to be consequences for all these traitors to all that is good and the light.

I’m not hungry but I need to get something in my stomach. I need to get out there and work on my new skill set. But my mind keeps wandering to the many tasks I have to accomplish. I sent mother a letter I should be hearing back from her soon via Magical Sending as you know War Wizard and all. I should be able to start to work on her elven arcane archery soon enough.

But for now. I have to start my patrols. Moving silently and hidden from sight. Have to observe, think and engage when it’s most opportune. I have to move beyond the Arrows to Arses...

I need to find a place to center. A quiet place where I can focus inward. Like the elves do when they don’t sleep but stand there really ... really ... weird with their eyes open staring into gods know what. I mean don’t their eyes dry out for not blinking?

I should ask Boots about that and all those other elfy mysteries. Like why elves love dainty stuff? Like the elfy dance. Well I should get going. I have to make sure Avery has a good breakfast. Now that she’s eating for two.