Any need for weapons or Items
Moderators: Moderator, Developer, DM
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Another thing, for the purposes of making stuff that moves:
http://www.rwscreations.com/RWSForum/vi ... f=18&t=724
This is what I need. I have Max2010, I'll either need to find an earlier version of Max, or a Plugin that can import/export for 2010. I am not sure if this also applies to objects that can be edited that already move/have animation/rigging applied to it. I'll check that later today.
I'm also having trouble locating the Granny files that NwN2 uses. If anyone happens to know where they are located in the folder structure, that would already help alot.
http://www.rwscreations.com/RWSForum/vi ... f=18&t=724
This is what I need. I have Max2010, I'll either need to find an earlier version of Max, or a Plugin that can import/export for 2010. I am not sure if this also applies to objects that can be edited that already move/have animation/rigging applied to it. I'll check that later today.
I'm also having trouble locating the Granny files that NwN2 uses. If anyone happens to know where they are located in the folder structure, that would already help alot.
-
Lockonnow
- Posts: 3121
- Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:10 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Hi Matherhorn maybe you can change the boots and the bracers on the full plate? see sir geyson full plate from
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
According to this guy, we -can- edit existing models:
http://neverwinternights2.rpg-mods.com/ ... ables.html
http://neverwinternights2.rpg-mods.com/ ... ables.html
Not sure if we want that?Name the mesh of the model exactly the same way the
original model was named. This is required, since we are
using an existing model and not creating a new one, so we
have to use an existing entry in the file holding the list of
the appearances (will be described later on).
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
More fun stuff:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=15

Edit: Only applicable if we want to have a shot at editing animated models. I don;t have the knowledge to make a sensible verdict on it, since I know jack about TLK files and what not. Can somebody have a look at this guys page and tell me if I understand correctly?
Way I get it, we -can- edit animated models, but a lot is needed to make it work.
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=15
Anyone of us good with Java?8. Hacking dialog.TLK
Now here's a buggy bug . Custom dialog.TLK files don't work from a hak-pack.
Additionally, they neither work from the Override folder. And finally, they don't
seem to really work from the "Custom TLK file" field of the Module Properties
panel either. What this means is the only way to make it work is to actually mess
with the original file, at least afaik. And there's more: if you change the contents
of your dialog.TLK file, you will fail to apply any updates to the game, since
the updater will rant about the file not matching the original. So you better make
a back-up copy of the original file before you try to edit it.
Edit: Only applicable if we want to have a shot at editing animated models. I don;t have the knowledge to make a sensible verdict on it, since I know jack about TLK files and what not. Can somebody have a look at this guys page and tell me if I understand correctly?
Way I get it, we -can- edit animated models, but a lot is needed to make it work.
-
c2k
- Posts: 1230
- Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 7:29 pm
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
About TLK files: The TLK file houses the text that appears in the game in reference to 2da entries. When you put an entry into the TLK, you use that line number as values in 2das in order to formulate the text that will appear when the 2da entry is called in game.
So in short:
1) You would need a copy of BG's custom TLK(trust me, they have one), and you would need to add lines to that.
2) I can assure you that adding in the animation names via the TLK is the EASIEST part of adding animations. All it does is provide the animation identification, not the scripting of animation files.
And why do you need to use Java? If its for the 2da/TLK editor(I actually forget if its required), all you need to do is install Java, not use it. http://java.com/en/
NWN2 is programmed in C#, and the GUIs are in XML.
So in short:
1) You would need a copy of BG's custom TLK(trust me, they have one), and you would need to add lines to that.
2) I can assure you that adding in the animation names via the TLK is the EASIEST part of adding animations. All it does is provide the animation identification, not the scripting of animation files.
And why do you need to use Java? If its for the 2da/TLK editor(I actually forget if its required), all you need to do is install Java, not use it. http://java.com/en/
NWN2 is programmed in C#, and the GUIs are in XML.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Thanks. Very Helpfull C2k. Not a programmer here, so any information on stuff like that is welcomed. 
-
stevebarracuda
- Recognized Donor
- Posts: 849
- Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:25 am
- Location: The itchy, scratchy recesses of your mind.
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Bre asked me if I wanted to pitch in...I can manipulate photoshop rather well, so if you need painting and such, let me know. I'll see what I can contribute.
As J.G. Ballard has said, "It's a mistake to hold back and refuse to accept one's own nature."
-
Aeb Ankor
- Posts: 237
- Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:13 am
- Location: Idaho, USA
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
What about hide armor?
There are only a couple of styles and those all have skull shoulders and or fur collars. How about some druid style love for these
There are only a couple of styles and those all have skull shoulders and or fur collars. How about some druid style love for these
"It is a good bet that I like your character, more than I like you... keep it IC and close to lore and we might stay friends."
"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'
#OrcLivesMatter
"I hate snowflakes and butterflies, die die die!'
#OrcLivesMatter
-
dzidek1983
- Posts: 1248
- Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:02 am
- Location: Poland
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
CROOSBOWS.. please Luna....
Hey, I just lost it, And this is crazy, But here's my login, So PM me, maybe?
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
For now, I'm looking in to placeables 1st. Any object that has animation attached to it, like armours, creatures, and possibly weapons, I will take a look at after I can safely say we know how to make placeables work correctly with the walk mesh.
For steve:
You'll need to be able to load *.dds (Direct draw surface) files in to photoshop:
http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-text ... -photoshop (I hope this plugin works for your version of Photoshop.)
On *.dds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectDraw_Surface
On mipmaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
On normalmaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping
http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps9.shtml
(You can basically ignore all the stuff about calculations on the wiki page for now, I do not think we need to know that.
)
Here's a rock that I used to try this out:

It uses a texture looking like this:
(Original scale 1024 x 1024)

Obviously, the wooden boards on the bottom right are not used with the Rock. The way it basically works, is I can select a part of the image to be assigned to a 3D model:

The green/pink lines you see on this image, is basically the 3D model flattened out. On this image you can see the model really only uses a small part of this texture.
You can open Nwn2 models with this tool to see them:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=79
If you could try and alter some of the textures and open the models in the viewer, you should be able to see your work. (No need to have 3D software for this.)
The models, and corresponding textures should be in your NwN2/Data/ folder.
Let me know if you succesfully altered some textures. Remember to just copy the original files, and edit those. As long as you keep the files in one folder it should be fine.
Files for the rock I used:
PLC_NT_Rocks05.MDB (Open this one in model viewer.)
TL_CV_wall01.dds (Texture used. = Diffuse map.)
TL_CV_wall01_n.dds (Bump/filter map, more on this later, I can't seem to open them correctly in gimp. Will figure it out.)
I hope this helps you out a bit. Gimme a hauler if you can't find stuff.
For steve:
You'll need to be able to load *.dds (Direct draw surface) files in to photoshop:
http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-text ... -photoshop (I hope this plugin works for your version of Photoshop.)
On *.dds:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectDraw_Surface
On mipmaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap
On normalmaps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_mapping
http://www.bencloward.com/tutorials_normal_maps9.shtml
(You can basically ignore all the stuff about calculations on the wiki page for now, I do not think we need to know that.
Here's a rock that I used to try this out:

It uses a texture looking like this:
(Original scale 1024 x 1024)

Obviously, the wooden boards on the bottom right are not used with the Rock. The way it basically works, is I can select a part of the image to be assigned to a 3D model:

The green/pink lines you see on this image, is basically the 3D model flattened out. On this image you can see the model really only uses a small part of this texture.
You can open Nwn2 models with this tool to see them:
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=79
If you could try and alter some of the textures and open the models in the viewer, you should be able to see your work. (No need to have 3D software for this.)
The models, and corresponding textures should be in your NwN2/Data/ folder.
Let me know if you succesfully altered some textures. Remember to just copy the original files, and edit those. As long as you keep the files in one folder it should be fine.
Files for the rock I used:
PLC_NT_Rocks05.MDB (Open this one in model viewer.)
TL_CV_wall01.dds (Texture used. = Diffuse map.)
TL_CV_wall01_n.dds (Bump/filter map, more on this later, I can't seem to open them correctly in gimp. Will figure it out.)
I hope this helps you out a bit. Gimme a hauler if you can't find stuff.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Modelling placeables, working fine. I can make any placeable I want:

Testing it IG with walkmesh now. *Fingers crossed.*
Edit: This is not an edited file. Everything is custom.

Testing it IG with walkmesh now. *Fingers crossed.*
Edit: This is not an edited file. Everything is custom.
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
No errors with baking. Yay!
-
breteas
- Posts: 1444
- Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:15 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
*Grins.*


Needs a bit of tweaking, but walkmesh works.
Edit: The way walkmesh works, I do not think it can be a continous windy stairs going hundreds of feet high.


Needs a bit of tweaking, but walkmesh works.
Edit: The way walkmesh works, I do not think it can be a continous windy stairs going hundreds of feet high.
-
mar3usmc
- Retired Staff
- Posts: 663
- Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:53 am
Re: Any need for weapons or Items
Correct, NWN walkmesh is a 2D height-map, nothing more. It isn't exactly true 3D as the 3rd dimension is not independent of the other two. It is a rather annoying limitation.
One thing I personally have always wanted was a few variations of magically stone worked stalactites, magically manipulating stalagmites and stalactites is the primary way Drow make homes. Currently, our Drow placeables for making cities and other cave like structures is very limited. While what was made many years ago has gone a long way, it is very biased towards Lloth based worship and design, which natural for Drow but creates a very narrow view of possibilities.
I personally would like to have more variety and more general building structures. I will think it over perhaps tonight and come up with a list. The stalactite, ie. stone spike hanging from ceiling, is the first that pops into my head though. Walkmesh for these is not needed, of course.
One thing I personally have always wanted was a few variations of magically stone worked stalactites, magically manipulating stalagmites and stalactites is the primary way Drow make homes. Currently, our Drow placeables for making cities and other cave like structures is very limited. While what was made many years ago has gone a long way, it is very biased towards Lloth based worship and design, which natural for Drow but creates a very narrow view of possibilities.
I personally would like to have more variety and more general building structures. I will think it over perhaps tonight and come up with a list. The stalactite, ie. stone spike hanging from ceiling, is the first that pops into my head though. Walkmesh for these is not needed, of course.
I'm the guy that kills you by using your own greed and stupidity against you while making you laugh about it.
Enjoy!