Northlander Hewing Critical Strike Damage Calculation

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Quality Control, DM

The Whistler

Northlander Hewing Critical Strike Damage Calculation

Unread post by The Whistler »

viewtopic.php?p=942794#p942794
Something's off with critical strike damage calculation. My character deals 55~ on a regular hit but only crits for low 220's with a x5 modifier weapon -with- overwhelming critical. The arithmetic isn't adding up.

I noticed the missing damage equals to roughly about NH damage. Can someone check if IPA and NH are multiplying correctly ? Thanks.

EDIT: After testing I think I can safely say I've narrowed down the culprit to NH. It doesn't multiply on crit, even though it works normally on both live and module JEGs. Nor is it stated anywhere in the feat description that it does not. What gives ?
Anglo wrote:You dirty little chimney elf.
mrm3ntalist
Retired Staff

Re: Northlander Hewing Critical Strike Damage Calculation

Unread post by mrm3ntalist »

The damage from NH never multiplied on crits. I made a post in the QC forums back in the day, about for what reason the physical damage from NH does not multiply on crits and the dev of the feat responded that it was intentional but no explanation was given... :roll:
IS EMOTIONAL KEKW - GIT GUD

Mendel - Villi of En Dharasha Everae | Nikos Berenicus - Initiate of the Mirari | Efialtes Rodius - Blood Magus | Olaf Garaeif - Dwarven Slayer

Spelling mistakes are purposely entered for your entertainment!
ZabelSword

Unread post by ZabelSword »

Good to know... that information should really be put in the feat description.
The Whistler

Rhifox suggested this might be responsible and I'm inclined to agree after some testing of my own (NH and PA crit normally, individually). It particularly affects the x3 or x4 weapon focused WMs and needs to be either advertised better, or the PA feat needs to be reverted back to its pre-ToT functionality.
Rhifox
Global Admin

Unread post by Rhifox »

Dae should be able to remove the damage cap, just taking some time. I believe he's found the thing to change for it.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
The Whistler

Can confirm that this has been fixed as of today's patch.
Ewe
Custom Content

Unread post by Ewe »

iirc there's a hardcoded engine "feature" which makes it so only slashing and piercing "bonus sheet damage" can crit.

Bludgeoning cannot crit.

Formerly, I think NH was always granted as a bludgeon bonus, and I think now it is based on the weapon type you are holding?

Bludgeon can still not crit (most bonus physical from feats was always granted as bludgeoning).

All magical can crit.

Further, bludgeoning respects damage immunity/resistance but slashing and piercing both ignore it.

In short, this game has a lot of weird bugs.

I'm not sure if the intricacies of these combat bugs with the effects engine were well known or not. Even the nwn2 wiki lists it wrong:

https://nwn2.fandom.com/wiki/EffectDamageIncrease

The second two rows should be yes for crit.

Anyways, when the engine tallies your bonus damage from your effects list it has a hardcap at 100 (per damage type). I've made an engine level tweak to jump over that check.
AKA Dae-Glyth
Discord: Dae-Glyth#1759
Rhifox
Global Admin

Unread post by Rhifox »

Ewe wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:37 pm iirc there's a hardcoded engine "feature" which makes it so only slashing and piercing "bonus sheet damage" can crit.

Bludgeoning cannot crit.

Formerly, I think NH was always granted as a bludgeon bonus, and I think now it is based on the weapon type you are holding?
NH is still bludgeoning, while the new Power Attack is based on what kind of weapon you're using.
Tarina — Witch, Apothecary, Dealer in Spirits and Black Magic
The Whistler

There is noticeable dropoff in my crit damage when NH is turned off that corresponds to the sum of the multiplication of NH times crit multiplier so I don't know if that's necessarily true.

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”