Racial Movement Speed

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Necrotic Shadows
Recognized Donor

Racial Movement Speed

Unread post by Necrotic Shadows »

I've been testing something out that I couldn't find if it was brought up as of yet.

I have a halfling with no advanced speed boost, I was under the impression hins were 20ft movement
I have a dwarf who is 20ft movement, but he's barbarian and using light gear.
I have three human models and a tiefling. all 30ft movement if I'm not mistaken. Some of them have dash so a slight movement increase.

Here's the problem. All the humans/tieflings I play seem clunky, and slower than the smaller races that would have to work harder to keep up with humans. Even if they end up with the same speed boost, as in say the dwarf barbarian... they still move faster than humans.

I had one person suggest they noticed it's like humans have two left feet. So I'm wondering if there's a bug with them or if there's something I'm missing. It's almost painful to see the difference and it makes me feel like the small races are doing decent, but the human size (perhaps all plane-touched as well?) move like they've walked on a slow trap.

Are the two of us the only ones noticing this difference? It's almost bad enough I want to make a monk and get it up a few speed levels to see if it's slowed somehow.

anyway, hope there's a solution/easy fix/reason this is happening.
Aidan Thatcher ~ Attempted Gentleman, Diplomat, Shipwright
Layne Ashford ~ Knight General, Order of the Silver Rose
DaloLorn
Lead Programmer

Re: Racial Movement Speed

Unread post by DaloLorn »

I'm pretty sure all races have 30ft base movement in NWN.
European player, UTC+1 (+2 during DST). Fixer of random bits. Active in Discord.
Active characters:
  • Zeila Linepret
  • Aela Lathyaan
  • Ilhara Evrine
  • Linathyl Selmiyeritar
  • Aeryn Faer
  • Virin Swifteye
  • Gurzhuk
Kitunenotsume

Re: Racial Movement Speed

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

Necrotic Shadows wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:54 am I had one person suggest they noticed it's like humans have two left feet. So I'm wondering if there's a bug with them or if there's something I'm missing. It's almost painful to see the difference and it makes me feel like the small races are doing decent, but the human size (perhaps all plane-touched as well?) move like they've walked on a slow trap.
As Dalo states, all PC races in NWN2 have the same base default speed unless modified explicitly by a feat or ability.
Citation: https://nwn2.fandom.com/wiki/Movement_rate

However, animation speed is determined by a factor of size category. Thus, smaller creatures are animated as having to take more steps per unit time, while larger characters are animated as less. This becomes particularly evident when using Enlarge Person on a medium character or Reduce Person on a small character and having them race - neither spell affects movement speed directly, but the animations play faster or slower with the enlarged human taking slow, lumbering strides and the reduced halfling doing a Sonic impression.

At particularly large scales or when also under speed boosts, a larger character does a forward moon-walk where their foot slides forwards along the ground due to how slow the animation is playing.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”