Breachgnome Seal-the-Breach not applied to ranged

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Kitunenotsume

Breachgnome Seal-the-Breach not applied to ranged

Unread post by Kitunenotsume »

Per assistance of Theodore01, we have identified that Seal the Breach from Breachgnomes currently applies only to melee:
Theodore01 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:23 am Just tested it with shurikans with my gnome, Seal the breach does not work with ranged attacks. (Updated the wiki.) The wiki even had "hand-to-hand combat" in the class description before.
However, the actual text of the class places no such restriction on melee VS ranged: https://www.realmshelps.net/charbuild/c ... nome.shtml

There is mention in flavor that rogues bards and casters "are better off avoiding hand-to-hand", but this seems to reflect the tanky-nature of the class because plenty of rogues stab things - they just don't want to get hit themselves. Case in point the number of TWF rogue builds, and that most of the point of the class is getting hit so other people don't.
From a more cynical perspective, restricting Breach-gnomes to melee only pretty much means they would be doomed if an enemy sits just outside their weapon reach and shoots them to death, since they would technically lose their defensive bonuses simply trying to retaliate either by throwing or moving outside the breach.

I can find some sources on a 2e version of Breach-gnome (I have not validated this source), but while it requires proficiency in certain weapons, the text provided does not state that the defensive bonuses are restricted purely to melee.

It is therefore my consideration that the restriction to Seal-the-Breach to melee-only is an error, and the bonus should be applied to all combat when the terrain conditions are met.
I play a baker. Sometimes she provides counseling or treatment.
Ask about our Breadflower daily special to save five coppers off a purchase of five pastries.
She seems unusually interested in cursed items.
She has also been seeking a variety of gems and stones.
EasternCheesE
QC Coordinator

Re: Breachgnome Seal-the-Breach not applied to ranged

Unread post by EasternCheesE »

Oh. I did a small investigation, it's clearly stated as melee thing on wiki.bgtscc.net:
https://wiki.bgtscc.net/index.php?title=Breach_Gnome

Could you please post it to suggestions instead, if you believe it should apply to ranged?

Since suggestion was posted, i close this one.
viewtopic.php?f=443&t=75913

Return to “Solved Problems”