List of common bugs and solutions

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Gottmoerder

List of common bugs and solutions

Unread post by Gottmoerder »

We need a compiled list of bugs and solutions, since there are plenty of problems and plenty of solutions but they're all scattered all over our forums. So this thread is dedicated in compiling a list and keeping it up-to-date. Let's begin!

-------------------------------------------------

1) Oh no, I used a feat and now the cooldown is 60 minutes although it's supposed to be 10 seconds!

Worry not, kind sir! Just right click on your character and select the skill from the drop-down menu. A rest might also help in resetting the timer!

2) Oh no! There's a big bunch of loot bags laying on the ground and they're looking very grim!

Worry not, ma'am. It's a bit tricky, but they can be removed. Step a distance from the loot bag and set your character to walk-mode. Click the bugged loot bag and just when the loot bag is about to open press the W key, sending your character a few steps backward. If done right the loot bag'll disappear.

3) By the foot of a rabbit that just swallowed a whole whale! I just leveled up an arcane scholar, filled my hotbar up with all these nifty new spells and now can't log in!

Worry not, my dear gentleman. What you need is Skywing's Client Extension. You find it from here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nw ... ail&id=231

4) Oh no! My game keeps crashing and has problems with x and y and lags and is not very stable at all!

Do not worry at all, dear child! The solution to this is the same as to the problem number 3! Just install the client extension, it'll help immensely.

5) By the gods! Invisible creatures are punching me in the face and some of the textures are missing!

Why, dear chap. It seems you're missing one of the Neverwinter Nights 2 add-ons! Playing on BGTSCC requires you to have everything installed, the Vanilla game, Mask of the Betrayer and Storm of Zehir expansions.

6) Oh no! I have the client extension installed and now my character is jumping and/or teleporting everywhere!

Worry not, this is fixable! This is due to the client trying to be smart and predicting what the server will do before the server actually does it! You need to turn off the predictive moment by typing /mpredict to the chat window! (Cheers, Thorsson!)

7) AAAGH! I wanna play but can't see the server on the realm list!

Well, there's a solution to this as well. Just select "Direct Connect" from the multiplayer menu and type in 208.94.245.10:5121
You'll be playing in no time!... provided the server is not full that is.

8) I can't take shadowdancer level even though I just put a point in dex and it's 19

Due to engine's limitation and server's ruling, you need to have a 'dummy' qualification feat in order to take Shadowdancer level. This feat can only be acquired after leveling up. In vanialla, it is possible to take Shadowdancer level at level 8, but unless you have 19 points in DEX prior to level 7, you cannot qualify for it.

9) A chest is bugged as permanently open! How do I fix it?

It may take some time, but click on the chest, and before the inventory panel appears, use the WASD keys to cancel your action. If timed right, the chest will close, and if the time needed for the chest to respawn loot has passed, you can immediately loot the chest.

10) Help! Everything I loot gets bugged somehow and doesn't respawn anymore!

A simple solution, my friend! Do not use the Loot All - button! That's all that's required.

11) Help! I am missing my deity's Favoured weapon! (favoured soul)

You're in bad luck, chances are you have hit "Back" during character creation and bugged up the class. You can poke a DM about giving the feat to you but it's better to avoid the issue entirely. When making a Favoured soul you shouldn't hit back. If you want to change something however, you should instead start from scratch. It is better to spend a few more moments working on your character sheet over pestering DMs, they have better things to do like killing adventurers. Still, if you are already high level then you should ask a DM. I would suggest:

Under level 10 : Redo your character. (Favoured souls can level with ease, especially considering that you can save half of your XP. Remember Half of your XP doesn't equal half of your HD. Often, you get more XP than half of your level. Please refer to this when RCRing.)
Over level 10: Ask a DM, simple enough. If you know the feat's ID then it would help if you provide it to them.

12) Oh no, there's a 30 second waiting time and the game says "unable to connect to Gamespy etc. etc.". The waiting is driving me nuts!

Solution by Eclypticon:

As some of you know Bioware got hacked, and in response to that, one of the things they did is took down the server. This means waiting longer to log in.

Here is a solution for some windows users:

1:) Find this file: c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

2:) Make a backup.

3:) Open it with a text editor.

4:) Add the following line at the bottom after the last #:

Code: Select all

#nwn2 bypass first login
0.0.0.0 nw2master.bioware.com
5:) Save the file.

6:) ???

7:) Profit.

As a side note, this tends to only work on start ups. If you log out and try to log back in without closing nwn2, chances are you will be timing out again with the message, "master server down".

12) Oh no! I'm playing NWN2 in Windows 7 windowed with the client extension and the task bar is popping up all the time, screwing my game window!

You're in luck, buddy! Just install the Taskbar Eliminator! (lacking link) The same method works on XP.

13) I'm a Druid and I just got a quest update! OH NO ALL MY ANIMAL BUFFS DISAPPEARED!

This is a common problem that plagues all of the NWN2 community. Unfortunately there's nothing that can be done to prevent this. Just be careful with your buffs when questing.

14) Oh no! I was carrying a corpse and died and now everything's gone to smithereens!

No worry. Just die and get raised. That'll fix you right up.

(I didn't quite comprehend this, pls fix Passi if you have a more thorough explanation)

15) Sooo I was bleeding out, I made the fortitude save, I escaped the monsters with one HP, I went to go rest and heal up...aaand now I'm dead and in the fugue....I don't know what happened, some sort of bug?

Did you have a spell or anything that boosts your constitution? When you rest that spell is removed, putting you in the negatives for health.

16) The statistics and/or properties from my equipment remain applied to my character even after I've unequipped the equipment

This can be a problem when logging onto the server a second time within a server session ie within the same 9hr block. Unequip / equip / unequip / equip will prevent any problems from occurring, it is usually a good idea to do this straight on logon to avoid a situation whereby the circumstances happen by accident.

17) My movement speed stays increased after my haste/expeditious retreat has worn off

If you have two sources of movement speed increase, ie a haste spell and dash permanently applied to an item, the engine can bug on occasion to override the lower % permanent increase with the higher % temporary increase. When haste or such wears off the AB bonus is removed but the move % incr is not because there is still a move % increase present. Unequip / reequip the item with the +move increase should fix this.

18) I was carrying my fellow player's corpse to be resurrected and was overwhelmed by monsters! A wandering cleric happened upon the site of my demise, but his revival magic is ineffective. What to do?

Unfortunately there's nothing to be done in cases like these. You are doomed to fugue. This is a bug in the NWN2 engine that hasn't been fixed so far.

If people don't want this information viewable then I'll remove it

--------------------------------------------------

(This list is Work in Progress. Please post mechanical / technical bugs you know and the solutions and/or workarounds to them into this thread, let's compile a fine list!)
Last edited by Gottmoerder on Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:03 am, edited 16 times in total.
In realms of Mordayn Vapor.. Rollin' DC 16's.. Groovy.
Thorsson

Re: List of common bugs and solutions

Unread post by Thorsson »

6. Tying /mpredict into the chat window also works.
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
Deathgrowl
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Deathgrowl »

Sticky!
Laitae Lafreth, became Chosen of Mystra, former Great Reader of Candlekeep
Nëa the Little Shadow
Obahzk Elf-Skinner, Blackguard of Gruumsh and orcish war drummer

Free music:
http://soundcloud.com/progressionmusic/sets/luna
Ivan38Rus
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ivan38Rus »

I can't take shadowdancer level even though I just put a point in dex and it's 19...

Due to engine's limitation and server's ruling, you need to have a 'dummy' qualification feat in order to take Shadowdancer level. This feat can only be acquired after leveling up. In vanialla, it is possible to take Shadowdancer level at level 8, but unless you have 19 points in DEX prior to level 7, you cannot qualify for it.

I hope that clears things up a bit, though I'm known for being hard to understand.

Bah, engrish
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

It be also possible to acquire it by relogging.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
Broham2

Unread post by Broham2 »

Hoihe wrote:It be also possible to acquire it by relogging.
He is saying that you can't take your 19th pt of Dex at the same level you begin taking SD.

Relogging isnt going to help that, because your pt isn't added to Dex (qualifying you for the SD eligible feat) until that level up is complete.

For example.. level 7, 18 dex. At level 8 you get to put a point in an attribute, and pick a class for the level. You can't bump dex to 19 and take SD at the same time, because in order to take SD you have to have the 'SD eligible' feat, which you only get upon relogging WITH 19 dex. You wouldnt have 19 dex until you completed level up.
Formerly DM Mayhem
RL tough guy wrote:"Watch my picture. I am a RL tough guy, and I rip people like you to shreds"
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Ah. I remember however reading about relogging helping with some feats however... so that the server registers the requirements applying.

Anyway!

Help! I am missing my deity's Favoured weapon! (favoured soul)
You're in bad luck, chances are you have hit "Back" during character creation and bugged up the class. You can poke a DM about giving the feat to you but it's better to avoid the issue entirely. When making a Favoured soul you shouldn't hit back. If you want to change something however, you should instead start from scratch. It is better to spend a few more moments working on your character sheet over pestering DMs, they have better things to do like killing adventurers. Still, if you are already high level then you should ask a DM. I would suggest:
Under level 10 : Redo your character. (Favoured souls can level with ease, especially considering that you can save half of your XP. Remember Half of your XP doesn't equal half of your HD. Often, you get more XP than half of your level. Please refer to this when RCRing.)
Over level 10: Ask a DM, simple enough. If you know the feat's ID then it would help if you provide it to them.
For life to be worth living, afterlife must retain individuality, personal identity and  memories without fail  - https://www.sageadvice.eu/do-elves-reta ... afterlife/
A character belongs only to their player, and only them. And only the player may decide what happens.
c2k

Unread post by c2k »

A chest is bugged as permanently open! How do I fix it?

It may take some time, but click on the chest, and before the inventory panel appears, use the WASD keys to cancel your action. If timed right, the chest will close, and if the time needed for the chest to respawn loot has passed, you can immediately loot the chest.
Molag__Bal

Unread post by Molag__Bal »

Ivan38Rus wrote:I can't take shadowdancer level even though I just put a point in dex and it's 19...

May also want to indicate that you need to log out and back in to receive the qualification feat.
Hoihe

Unread post by Hoihe »

Molag__Bal wrote:
Ivan38Rus wrote:I can't take shadowdancer level even though I just put a point in dex and it's 19...

May also want to indicate that you need to log out and back in to receive the qualification feat.
Ah yes, this is the one I was trying to say.
Thorsson

Unread post by Thorsson »

c2k wrote:A chest is bugged as permanently open! How do I fix it?
Judging by the reaction I had yesterday when I asked someone to fix the chests they just broke, some people just don't care and are quite happy to break chests and leave them...
Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it
Molag__Bal

Unread post by Molag__Bal »

And just before this tip, there should be one explaining how to loot chests and bags. Chests break because people use the loot all button, or double click on items. The most reliable method of looting is to right click each item and loot them individually.
Gottmoerder

Unread post by Gottmoerder »

Updated!
In realms of Mordayn Vapor.. Rollin' DC 16's.. Groovy.
Passiflora

Unread post by Passiflora »

Thorsson wrote:
Judging by the reaction I had yesterday when I asked someone to fix the chests they just broke, some people just don't care and are quite happy to break chests and leave them...

When someone breaks a chest, if in an hour someone else come in to loot, if they "repair" the chest, they get the loot as well. So it's not "so bad", like, no one lose a thing, exept a 3-4 second of time to debug it.
Go home and be a familly cat!
illithid

Unread post by illithid »

The statistics and/or properties from my equipment remain applied to my character even after I've unequipped the equipment

This can be a problem when logging onto the server a second time within a server session ie within the same 9hr block. Unequip / equip / unequip / equip will prevent any problems from occurring, it is usually a good idea to do this straight on logon to avoid a situation whereby the circumstances happen by accident.

My movement speed stays increased after my haste/expeditious retreat has worn off

If you have two sources of movement speed increase, ie a haste spell and dash permanently applied to an item, the engine can bug on occasion to override the lower % permanent increase with the higher % temporary increase. When haste or such wears off the AB bonus is removed but the move % incr is not because there is still a move % increase present. Unequip / reequip the item with the +move increase should fix this.

If people don't want this information viewable then I'll remove it
Last edited by illithid on Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I never make mistakes…I thought I did once; but I was wrong.

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”