Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Re: Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

chad878262 wrote:Just tested, duelist bonus piercing damage is not maximized when Northlander Hewing is active.
Shame, so much of that idea to roll a Fighter 13/Monk 4/Fist of the Forest 3/Duelist 10... :lol:
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Sun Wukong

Spellchain, medium armor with -20% arcane spell failure and the armor has base +30% arcane spell failure. In stock NWN2, a bard or warlock with Battle Caster feat could wear that armor and use a heavy shield because the -20% arcane spell failure from the armor negates the +15% arcane spell failure from the heavy shield.

I remember some talk about it being changed on this server, is this true?
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Not sure...if it was changed it was done before my time as I've never heard of such. Not sure I can test this though as I don't have spell chain so would need a DM to give me a suit (QC characters only have 1,000 gold and spell chain is not in the QC Funhouse for purchase). My wife's having surgery so we're leaving for the hospital in 10 minutes. If I can get a decent connection in the waiting room later today I'll see if I can catch a DM online to help out.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Sun Wukong

There is no need to get it done asap, if I see you log in sometimes I can just hand you the suit of armor if you got a spare moment. (And I hope she will be okay.)
- Elminster, probably.
Rudolph

Unread post by Rudolph »

Two questions re. extra damage:

I always imagined that extra damage of a different type was actually of that type and 1d4 Piercing on a club, for instance, would be entirely useless against an opponent with, say, DR 5 vs. Piercing (or vs. everything). However, I recently read in a thread with some veteran players/staff involved that the damage type change was mainly there to make the extra damage stack with the Enhancement Bonus damage and that the extra damage would actually get added as Bludgeoning in the case of said club and thus bypass the DR (the last point was phrased ambiguously and might not have been made quite like that).

Question 1): Is this correct?
a) Does extra damage of the same type NOT strack with the EB of a weapon? Most weapons add a different type of dmg to their EB dmg, but a Bear Warrior, for instance, could have extra Slashing dmg transferred to his Slashing claws, so this might allow you to test the effect. Darts and Throwing axes also get their EB dmg type vs. Evil added by Align Weapon, so they might also be worth checking. If it doesn't stack, the Bear Warrior and Thrown Weapons cases should maybe be addressed in a future update.
b) Does the extra damage get added as the same type as the EB damage for purposes of overcoming DR or is it nullified by the DR?

Question 2): How about extra dmg on special materials/Aligned weapons vs. selective DR?
E.g. if I use an Alchemical Silver Club with 1d4 Piercing dmg against an opponent with DR 10/Alchemical Silver, do the 1d4 also bypass the DR or only the base dmg and EB?

These questions might sound nitpicky, but there are cases where it makes a big difference how extra damage is handled. I tried to figure things out myself, but failed - possibly due to inexperience with the Combat log...
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

Rudolph wrote:Two questions re. extra damage:

I always imagined that extra damage of a different type was actually of that type and 1d4 Piercing on a club, for instance, would be entirely useless against an opponent with, say, DR 5 vs. Piercing (or vs. everything). However, I recently read in a thread with some veteran players/staff involved that the damage type change was mainly there to make the extra damage stack with the Enhancement Bonus damage and that the extra damage would actually get added as Bludgeoning in the case of said club and thus bypass the DR (the last point was phrased ambiguously and might not have been made quite like that).

Question 1): Is this correct?
a) Does extra damage of the same type NOT strack with the EB of a weapon? Most weapons add a different type of dmg to their EB dmg, but a Bear Warrior, for instance, could have extra Slashing dmg transferred to his Slashing claws, so this might allow you to test the effect. Darts and Throwing axes also get their EB dmg type vs. Evil added by Align Weapon, so they might also be worth checking. If it doesn't stack, the Bear Warrior and Thrown Weapons cases should maybe be addressed in a future update.
b) Does the extra damage get added as the same type as the EB damage for purposes of overcoming DR or is it nullified by the DR?

Question 2): How about extra dmg on special materials/Aligned weapons vs. selective DR?
E.g. if I use an Alchemical Silver Club with 1d4 Piercing dmg against an opponent with DR 10/Alchemical Silver, do the 1d4 also bypass the DR or only the base dmg and EB?

These questions might sound nitpicky, but there are cases where it makes a big difference how extra damage is handled. I tried to figure things out myself, but failed - possibly due to inexperience with the Combat log...

Simply put Extra dmgs like Piercing, Blunt and SLashing are applied as a STR multiplier. Thus they add damage but do not directly bypass DR of special types if they are in HIT DICE form. I.E. 1d4. They will also multiply on critical hits as well. Making the best damages to get on weapons being d4-d9 or so extra damages with piercing, slashing and blunt.

Now if that extra damage is Extra Melee: Blunt, Slashing or Piercing then they do bypass special DRs and do not multiply on a critical hit.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
Rudolph

Unread post by Rudolph »

Simply put Extra dmgs like Piercing, Blunt and SLashing are applied as a STR multiplier. Thus they add damage but do not directly bypass DR of special types if they are in HIT DICE form. I.E. 1d4. They will also multiply on critical hits as well. Making the best damages to get on weapons being d4-d9 or so extra damages with piercing, slashing and blunt.

Now if that extra damage is Extra Melee: Blunt, Slashing or Piercing then they do bypass special DRs and do not multiply on a critical hit.
Darn. It may be simply put, but I still don't quite get it. Leaving Extra Melee: xxx aside, I think you're saying that extra damage IS added and hence helps to overcome DR together with the regular base, EB, and STR damage (though doesn't directly penetrate it). And that it also crits, which is good to know.
So, to use my example, a club (bludgeoning) with 1d6 +4 EB and +1d4 Piercing would cause a maximum of 14 dmg, all of which would count towards overcoming DR. Thus a maximum hit against 5/Bludgeoning DR would would cause 9 dmg, right?
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

Rudolph wrote:

Darn. It may be simply put, but I still don't quite get it. Leaving Extra Melee: xxx aside, I think you're saying that extra damage IS added and hence helps to overcome DR together with the regular base, EB, and STR damage (though doesn't directly penetrate it). And that it also crits, which is good to know.
So, to use my example, a club (bludgeoning) with 1d6 +4 EB and +1d4 Piercing would cause a maximum of 14 dmg, all of which would count towards overcoming DR. Thus a maximum hit against 5/Bludgeoning DR would would cause 9 dmg, right?
Well your example is off. YOu used a club.....so you get all your damage because a blunt club bypasses blunt dr...Make the weapon a longsword and it is correct.
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
Rudolph

Unread post by Rudolph »

Well your example is off. YOu used a club.....so you get all your damage because a blunt club bypasses blunt dr...Make the weapon a longsword and it is correct.
My question was about the extra dmg and whether that gets blocked or not. But your longsword point answers the question in any case. Thanks for the quick feedback! That's good news.
Sun Wukong

Does Northlander Hewing work with Combat Insight? In otherwords, will I be able to get extra damage based on my intelligence modifer rather than strength?
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

No.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Sun Wukong

Could it be made to work like that? Just thinking about potentially getting "3*INT MOD" to damage on some Swashbuckler Duelist build...

- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

Thay goes against the concept of Hewing being about strength so my guess is that we would not make it work with INT.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Sun Wukong

Oh well, I did try the Spellchain thing on this server's JEGs and the Spellchain armor did seem to negate the arcane spell failure from heavy shield. But I am still not sure it is how it works on server proper, nwnx plugins and all that.
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

There's nothing on this side, SR should work exactly as in JEGS.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler

Return to “Bug Reports and Mechanical Issues”