Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Any Issues or Bugs Should Be Posted in Their Respective Categories

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, Associate Dev, DM

Kalgain

Re: Public QC request thread - want something tested out?

Unread post by Kalgain »

Endelyon wrote:
Kalgain wrote:I took the hunter kit and got the travel domain fast movement feat.

Is this feat working, i am slower than a barbarian with barbarian fast movement.

And it further states that the movement bonus is only active in light and medium armor. Does that include robes?
Travel domain doesn't give Fast Movement or Haste on BGTSCC. For the rest I'm not exactly sure as I've never tested the Hunter Kit, but it should work in robes.
In that case it would probably better to implement the hunter fast movement as the barbarian fast movement feat and not the travel domain power.

Edit: since today i see a movement speed buff on my hunter. I think something was changed? Thank you.

Edit 2: seems like the change was reverted, so movement speed buff is not working any longer.
Last edited by Kalgain on Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Wukong

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Custom Content

Unread post by Valefort »

No.
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
Sun Wukong

Both of those spells deal electrical damage, so shouldn't those fuel reserve feats?
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Custom Content

They don't deal only electrical damage either though.
Sun Wukong

Storm of Vengeance fuels both Storm Bolt and Acidic Splatter, as well as the Runes of Storms and Vitriol. Prismatic Spray and Greater Rainbow Blast should fuel quite many reserve feats actually.
- Elminster, probably.
Incarnate

Unread post by Incarnate »

Valefort wrote:They don't deal only electrical damage either though.
If the reason is because it doesn't only deal electrical damage, then there are quite a few spells that shouldn't trigger reserve feats then OR those that deal more than one type of damage that currently don't trigger but should trigger, they should be corrected to do so, otherwise where is the justification for it being as it is?
Valefort
Custom Content

Is there any spell that does that beyond storm of vengeance ? And yes that's the reasoning, electrical spells to fuel electrical reserve feat and so on. Either way since reserve feats aren't particularly powerful prismatic spells will likely fuel them.
Sun Wukong

Firestorm, a spell that deals both Fire and Divine damage, fuels fire based reserve feats.

Flame Strike, a spell that deals both Fire and Divine damage, fuels fire based reserve feats.

Ice Storm, a spell that deals both cold and physical damage, fuels cold based reserve feats.

Shades, a spell that according to wiki fuels both fire and cold based reserve feats.

Energized Shield, a spell that fuels fire, cold, sonic, acid, and electric type reserve feats. Lesser variant largely does the same.

And so on...
- Elminster, probably.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

the only thing that i could see to lean in favor of no on reserve feat fueling for prismatic spray is that it will cause only one or two of the many effects. if it did all the effects every time, sure. but because it is essentially an unreliable source of a single effect. i can see it not fueling the reserve feat.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Sun Wukong

Storm Avatar, fuels electrical reserve feats, and it's electrical effect is dependant on the caster's weapon.

Same goes for the target of the Flame Weapon spell that fuels fire based reserve feats.

And you could look at Storm Avatar, where only the acid damage takes place by default as the electrical damage is dependant on failing the save.

Thus upon this background, Prismatic Sprays and Rainbow Blasts should most clearly fuel reserve feats.
- Elminster, probably.
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

there is a big difference between failing a save (ie the effect is there, but was avoided) and the effect not happening at all (ie the randomness of prismatic).

That said, Valefort already indicated they'll likely be added since reserve feats are pretty weak.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Sun Wukong

chad878262 wrote:there is a big difference between failing a save (ie the effect is there, but was avoided) and the effect not happening at all (ie the randomness of prismatic).
And I would argue that there is no difference, in both of these cases you roll your dice and that alone determines the outcome of the spell. This is the PnP description of the Prismatic Spray. As it states, for every target you roll 1d8 and that result determines what happens. The effect was there for the prismatic, it was just avoided through lucky or unlucky dice rolls.

Moreover, you could look at Fireball thrown at someone with the evasion feat. A mere dice roll determines if there is no effect at all.

And yes, the reserve feats are not powerful, but if the Rainbow Blast starts to fuel them. (It deals Fire, Cold, Acid, Electric, and Sonic damage.) Perhaps there could be more interest towards them, at least beyond my gimmicky wizard build. Not to mention that currently it makes more sense to make a divine based 'Storm Bolt' thrower rather than an arcane one. Arcane spell casters got Chain Lightning, a level 6 spell. While divine casters have Storm of Vengeance, a level 9 spell. Thus with Greater Rainbow Blast things could be more evened out.

And yeah, I guess me talking about might actually decrease the possibility of the change... But as you have said it yourself, the reserve feats are not seen as particularly powerful, and perhaps with slightly extended list of trigger spells more people could find use out of them.
- Elminster, probably.
Valefort
Custom Content

Playing the victim is indeed detrimental, stop it, it suits you so badly :lol:
Incarnate

Unread post by Incarnate »

chad878262 wrote:Valefort already indicated they'll likely be added since reserve feats are pretty weak.
Well, if they're that weak maybe they should be receiving a nudge in the right direction to make them more viable.

One thing could be to have them scale with casterlevel rather than spell level. Another thing to consider would be to have the spell that is fueling it let it determine the damage dice. ie. if the fueling spell was using a d8, the reserve feat spell when cast should be a d8 instead of whatever damage dice the feat used. Obviously some reserve feats couldn't use this, but might benefit from at least going the next damage dice, so like if it was 2d4 it would become 2d6 because the spell used 1d8 per caster level or something similar.

I think this would be a good soluton if it was based on the spell's damage dice used to fuel the feat and on caster level and it followed this progression: 1dx + 1dx per 2 additional caster levels. So for instance if it was a fireball fueling the feat and the caster was a level 15 arcane caster, it would be 8d6. So say if a 5'th level wizard was using a fireball to fuel it then it would be 3d6, where a fireball would normally deal 5d6. The x is equal to the damage dice used by the fueling spell. Additionally, if the spell had an inbuilt damage cap, then this would trigger, ie. fireball caps at 10d6.

Any other good thoughts on how to buff the reserve feats to make them more viable?