Mark Rune not working. No selection using teleport scroll

It Does What It Says on the Tin: Resolved Issues

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

electric mayhem

Re: Mark Rune not working. No selection using teleport scroll

Unread post by electric mayhem »

Marked another teleport location couple nights ago.
Only one location, in the reset period.
It worked fine.

Still running with the theory the system is only saving a single teleport bind point during a server reset period.

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

electric mayhem

Friendly Bump

Just wondering if anyone cluey has had a good look at this yet?
While I haven't tested it since the update, I don't remember seeing any update notes saying the system has been bolstered or altered?

There are also some goods suggestions in this thread that I think should be considered to further bolster the great utility that the system presents.
Such as:
It would be nifty if the Teleport spells only took gold after you had clicked on a destination.
Perhaps having a 'spellbook' type of OOC item in the inventory, to anchor and manage Teleport bind points is possible? This would go a long way to helping cure some of the ongoing issues around teleport system?
A list that we can bring up at will. See, delete, rename points. The item can be set to plot (non droppable/tradeable), and will appear in a characters inventory on first use of Mark Rune / Mark Plant.
Unsure if this last part would be possible. But a character could get rid of the book item if they delete all their bind points from the book if they were to RP an attitude of "I'm done with adventuring and teleporting"
Should we make a separate suggestions thread for the Teleport system upgrade? Or is the Scripting team happy with the suggestions to be contained in this thread?

~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]

Valefort
Retired Admin

Unread post by Valefort »

There's a feat in next update that can be used as much as you want to delete saved locations (feat added the next time you save a location with a mark rune/plant spell), also added a check to not take gold if you didn't choose anything. Other than that I'm totally unable to reproduce the bugs you've got, everything works for me !
Mealir Ostirel - Incorrigible swashbuckler
electric mayhem

Awesome, that's great news Vale. Thanks for that. It'll go a long way to helping.

But yeh, as for the bugs of saving multiple places. I've had success in only saving one location per reset.
The problem resembled an issue where using the "set home location widgit" in towns was not being saved correctly. Sometimes it did, other times it did not. Do they share a common gui system, as I noticed one time when I clicked on the Home Location widgit in Roaring, it brought up my teleport list very briefly.

Valefort
Retired Admin

They don't share a common GUI but the principle is the same, a variable is saved on one of the OOC items in your inventory and somehow for some people it doesn't look to work all the time. Regarding the "manage location" feat there was a small hiccup in the update and it will only be there next time.
electric mayhem

Ahh... regarding the tied to an item. Idea popped up.
I always have my OOC inventory items in the last inventory slot tab.
Could this perhaps be causing some 'accessability' lag issue? Where it only works some times. Vs people that never have a problem, always have their DMFI and other OOC items in their first inventory slot page?

Valefort
Retired Admin

It searches by tag within your inventory items but god only knows how the search was actually coded behind the function so that's worth a try.
electric mayhem

Cool, will keep that in mind and give it a whirl ":D

electric mayhem

Update:

Another few tests complete.

I can state with confidence that using Mark Rune in any form (spell, wand, scroll) only saves the First location use during your First login session of each server reset.

Also, it didn't matter which inventory tab I had the DMFI ring in.

Stanley The Male

Unread post by Stanley The Male »

electric mayhem wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:32 pm Update:

Another few tests complete.

I can state with confidence that using Mark Rune in any form (spell, wand, scroll) only saves the First location use during your First login session of each server reset.

Also, it didn't matter which inventory tab I had the DMFI ring in.
Confirmed. I tested this myself. Using rune stones to Mark Rune in your inventory works though, just not the pop-up selection.
Currently playng:

Naryl Yviran - Sun Elf mageling.
Valefort
Retired Admin

Saves as many as you want as logn as you don't log out.
SyntheticRose

Unread post by SyntheticRose »

I think another problem is that the OP's combat log in that screenshot shows another issue with Teleport scrolls, something I've brought up before but never seemed to get any attention drawn to.

Teleport scrolls prompt multiple UMD checks to use them, at different stages, when used with the list version of the teleport system. There is the (expected and appropriate) UMD check when you first activate the scroll, but then there is a second UMD check rolled when you click on a teleport location. If either of those checks fails, your scroll is burnt. If the second one fails? So is your 850 gp. As far as I know, Teleport and its variants seem to be the only spells that behave this way when placed on a scroll. Is there anything that can be done about that, aside from just telling people who cast Teleport from a scroll to use the old item-rune system?
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

SyntheticRose wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:12 am Teleport scrolls prompt multiple UMD checks to use them, at different stages, when used with the list version of the teleport system. There is the (expected and appropriate) UMD check when you first activate the scroll, but then there is a second UMD check rolled when you click on a teleport location. If either of those checks fails, your scroll is burnt. If the second one fails? So is your 850 gp. As far as I know, Teleport and its variants seem to be the only spells that behave this way when placed on a scroll. Is there anything that can be done about that, aside from just telling people who cast Teleport from a scroll to use the old item-rune system?
*Necro's this thread*

I am having this exact same issue on one of my older characters. Upon using the scroll a UMD roll shows up in combat log, and if the roll fails, the teleport location window does not open up, and the scroll is used up. If the UMD roll succeeds the location window opens, and then the concentration roll shows up in combat log. If the concentration check fails, the scroll is also used up. (also, his locations only save about 25% of the time when using a mark rune spell on the ground)

I have a feeling that the reason for this is because of characters with older DMFI tools, as on my newer characters I never see any UMD rolls. I'm going to see about getting a DM to swipe my older characters DMFI tool, then log/re-log in and see how things work with a newer version of the DMFI tool.
There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
Valefort
Retired Admin

I advise to even let a reset happen after your DMFI tool has been cleared as I encountered some weird behaviours and suspect there's a cached memory system somewhere that can things mess up in this regard.
cosmic ray

Unread post by cosmic ray »

This system still doesn't work in any reliable way, either immediately or through resets.

It's better to just rely on the old rune items until this has been fixed.
You are fined one credit for a violation of the Verbal Morality Statute.

Return to “Solved Problems”