Split lore skills

For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

ThornsM

Split lore skills

Unread post by ThornsM »

I've been looking at remaking an old character since the Lore skill was split up here. His field of expertise is unfortunately not of the available, and while I could nominate one of them to represent his field, the closer fitting ones are not available to his base class.

Lore skills do give a good degree of RP flavor to a character, so I was surprised to see how tightly restricted they are as class skills. This is an intentional constraint here?

Also, my character had a background that gave a bonus to the Lore skill, but since they were split, the backgrounds no longer add to any skill because the generic Lore skill was removed. Any intention to update the backgrounds accordingly?
AlwaysSummer Day
Recognized Donor

Re: Split lore skills

Unread post by AlwaysSummer Day »

What class is he and which lore does he want?
Roland; svirfneblin fist of the forest and eco terrorist.
Heinrich Von Rittermark; Everwatch Knights of Helm
Frederick Von Rittermark; Paladin of Azuth/Mystra
Erik Von Rittermark; Unknown
Mallore

Unread post by Mallore »

I do have a background as well that was suppose to grant lore bonus. Now instead I lose more then I gain lol.
Jane of Here and There (Jane Price)

...also

Jennifer and A Drow.
ThornsM

Unread post by ThornsM »

In my case, Rogue and engineering, possibly geography too. But similar or more pertinent niggles could arise from many characters, so the question was posed generally.

It does kinda spoil some backgrounds, maybe make the most of the free rebuilds, Mallore, and pick a background not hobbled.
ThornsM

Unread post by ThornsM »

I've looked into it a bit more. Seems that any general lore bonus is being applied to the 'Lore: Arcana' skill.
So Dwarves get a +2 racial bonus to Arcana, backgrounds only add to Arcana, any general lore feats such as Courteous Magocracy only apply to Arcana. Some of these may be fitting but it would seem wholly incidental where they are.
I'd sure like to have a bit more flexibility for a Dwarf who puts engineering before Arcana, or for backgrounds that support more than just Arcana.
Duster47
Retired Staff

Unread post by Duster47 »

The Lore skills are a work-in-progress. These things will eventually get sorted out, plus synergies are planned to be added.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
ThornsM

Unread post by ThornsM »

Duster47 wrote:The Lore skills are a work-in-progress. These things will eventually get sorted out, plus synergies are planned to be added.
Thanks for this, there will be an opportunity to relevel when it comes?

Return to “Rules”