6%
No
58%

Total votes: 89

aaron22
Recognized Donor

Re: Drow- Application only.

Unread post by aaron22 »

the number of votes for "do away with" is pretty absurd. while i know a lot of people do not wish to play them for themselves, i cannot understand why so many people would wish that nobody else should either. i would like to hear more reasoning behind this from those that posted those votes.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Tantive

Unread post by Tantive »

New players rely on the veterans to learn as they do. (I miss Grym and Moridin *sniff*) The Underdark immediately thrust you into drow culture because of Sshamath. I vote no, as it would not be beneficial to the environment. Specificly, population which it so desperately needs.
Elyssa Symbaern - Bladesinger
Isioviel Fereyn - Elven Ranger
Charisa Flomeigne - Scion of Siamorphe
Ariella
Retired Staff

Unread post by Ariella »

aaron22 wrote:the number of votes for "do away with" is pretty absurd. while i know a lot of people do not wish to play them for themselves, i cannot understand why so many people would wish that nobody else should either. i would like to hear more reasoning behind this from those that posted those votes.
Well the server needs to reduce inactive areas and the underdark is mostly that. There is a very small population, And with the servers rules on top making cross over hard its pretty much its own server. Meaning the current setup is effectively attempting to run two servers in one with some light cross over, From a resource management perspective its a ridiculous idea. Now i get the reason why, But i personally preferred the poor RP that happened before. Because at least then you didn't have to play both sides to experience the entirety of the server.
Kiran

Unread post by Kiran »

Ariella wrote:
aaron22 wrote:the number of votes for "do away with" is pretty absurd. while i know a lot of people do not wish to play them for themselves, i cannot understand why so many people would wish that nobody else should either. i would like to hear more reasoning behind this from those that posted those votes.
Well the server needs to reduce inactive areas and the underdark is mostly that. There is a very small population, And with the servers rules on top making cross over hard its pretty much its own server. Meaning the current setup is effectively attempting to run two servers in one with some light cross over, From a resource management perspective its a ridiculous idea. Now i get the reason why, But i personally preferred the poor RP that happened before. Because at least then you didn't have to play both sides to experience the entirety of the server.
In a nut shell.

Would be a great reason to split the servers personally.
Player of:

Damian Pascal, - Run away/dead. - Background - Corruption from Within
Amenthes Serb, Knight - Gone missing/Supposed dead Background
Tamzim Renima, mercenary - Handed over to the fist. Background
Kiran, Golden Wheel - Presumed dead
Althalous Fenwick, Paladin of Mystra. - A memory lost
izzul

Unread post by izzul »

i voted no,

there was a time when UD is filled with fun people and can get a party of 4-6 people to play together with, and sometimes 15/75 of the online people are in UD.

in order to attract people back to UD again, it is better to find a way to make it fun to the new people while giving education about the Lore.(though we cannot force things upon them. always a two way road) .............. ;)
Azzizuleia Tyrielmrande-[Permadeath PC]
Eilondruil Eldanyar-Corellon Larethian[Battle Historian]
Iz Azul-Red Knight[Active]
Krueger-Trader viewtopic.php?f=55&t=56617
Mystera Electra-Mystra[Goat Girl]

"give to yourself, took from others-Integrity and Justice"
Aspect of Sorrow

Unread post by Aspect of Sorrow »

The underdark and upperdark represents approximately 15 percent of the total resource utilization of the BGTSCC module.
7threalm
Retired Staff

Unread post by 7threalm »

the underdark peaks with there is an active dm down there, its been that way for long while.

Sadly most of the drow have moved to the surface organizations these days and the server seem to have to problem finding a dedicated underdark dm.

and if there is a dm event, 20 people log into alts down there just for that.

I remember one dedicated ud player telling me after the Last ooze event, you won't see any of these people log into the ud for a few months...
Duragin Balderden(Battle Rager of Kraak Helzak)

Rlyd (Drow Wizard)- Fearn School of Enchantment and Charm
Kiran

Unread post by Kiran »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:The underdark and upperdark represents approximately 15 percent of the total resource utilization of the BGTSCC module.
Still quite a big proportion if it is played only by 3%.

Not a expert on any of this, but seems better spent on the majority than people who play alts/only go there for dm events, perhaps the 1 or 2 hardcore people. A lot of tools for what would be considered a not very active guild surface area.
Player of:

Damian Pascal, - Run away/dead. - Background - Corruption from Within
Amenthes Serb, Knight - Gone missing/Supposed dead Background
Tamzim Renima, mercenary - Handed over to the fist. Background
Kiran, Golden Wheel - Presumed dead
Althalous Fenwick, Paladin of Mystra. - A memory lost
Glowfire

Unread post by Glowfire »

Aspect of Sorrow wrote:The underdark and upperdark represents approximately 15 percent of the total resource utilization of the BGTSCC module.
And what proportion is UD without the Upperdark? I feel the Upperdark areas added very far larger than they needed to be. Maybe send me a PM about it...? As...

...this has gone pretty off-topic. Numerous other threads deal with the pro's and con's of a server split. This is about making drow application only.
Power is the most persuasive rhetoric.
Friedrich von Schiller
kkrazlite

Unread post by kkrazlite »

I can understand a class being application only but cutting out a race for the DM's to decide your worthy of playing that said race sounds odd... The race itself is a legit one so it counts toward your character sheet... I mean I could understand trying to play a sub-race that isent specific like a dragon-Kin, or a drider. But drow has already been released to alot of players for a very long time now as a main race to select.
Royalty? No it was simply an Election.

Player 1 Select Your Character:

Lo' - The Waunderer of Shou Lung

Aeb'el - Lord Cold Circle, Temple of the Great Blizzard
Side

Unread post by Side »

If we had any other city as our main underdark area I might be convinced to say drow should be application only. A lolthite city would require a particular type of RP not everyone is capable of, and requires a certain knowledge of server rules to properly pull off. That said Sshamath is about the most tame, classical Drow city ever.

Is this topic even about drow? Really?
Israe wrote: 1. Showing proper understanding of Lore of the UD.
This is not specific to drow.
Israe wrote: 2. Desire to be inactive with the community.
Israe wrote:3. Player base support/maturity.

These points refer to the Underdark as a whole, not just the drow, and as others have said they can easily be reworked to cover almost any other niche group on the server that has specific background lore. If there are points that are specifically and uniquely focused on not only the drow, but the drow of Sshamath I would love to hear them. If not I'd also love to hear refocused points about the Underdark specifically, or doing something to make all niche lore more accessible to the playerbase.

As it stands, however, I'm not really sure a legitimate reason has been said as to why the drow specifically should be application only.
Ariella wrote:There is a very small population, And with the servers rules on top making cross over hard its pretty much its own server.
Actually it's unbelievably easy to cross the surface/UD barrier right now, particularly considering the server rules. Used to be you needed a very, very specific reason, and if the DM who spotted you didn't like the reason they would just send you back to your spawn point.

Now you just need to explain your reason for being on the other side. It doesn't have to be specific and signed in triplicate, it just has to be built off of legitimate RP. Plus it helps that the current DM team, and the DM team of recent times, is fantastic.

It may seem like we have two servers from the perspective of your characters, but take part in the right RP and the server feels more united than ever.
Passiflora wrote: AS A DROW you will kill DUERGARS for like..... lvl 9 to 25. A DAMN LOT OF DUERGARS.
Heimdallr

Unread post by Heimdallr »

I believe drow should be application only in one case - Surface and ud would have normal rules, and people could live wherever they choose(except for ud races in BG and vice versa) otherwise...why bother?

Return to “Rules”