Ban the use of non-english languages

For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Sun Wukong

Re: Ban the use of non-english languages

Unread post by Sun Wukong »

Anyhow, if the use of Drommon is perfectly fine... Then I suppose it is just a sword on a hill to die by.

After all, literally anyone can use the off-site translator to change english sentences into Drommom, and save the results into a simple .txt file. Now they only need use the client extensions and play in the windowed mode, and they could simply spam the following lines:
1: Dosst mere ml'aen p'los uns'aa zhah z'lonzic ulu kai'na uns'aa.

2: L'aeros dos kuuv ulu ssuu'hha zhah naubol mzild taga elg'cahl whol uns'aa.

3: Ji ulnar harl lu'ann whol ka'lith ka dos xun naut daewl screa iklnig d'strife.

4: Dos kuuv gyolaen l'orn d'dosst alurren? Usstan orn noriam ulu huela.

5: Uss, Usstan sekene kuuv dos ulu zud'dar ussta zaalel.

6: Draa, ol kluthak nindel dos talinth dos inbal mii'n ulu gyolaen uns'aa.

7: Llar, dosst jiv'undus zhal tlu natha gotareshtsh ulu udossta uss seke quar'valsharess.

8: Quen, gaer orn tlu naubol zet d'dosst yeunn elghinyrr'kheln.

9: Huela, dos inbal detholusin dosst ap'za, el.
In game screenshots do not have time stamps, there is no way of telling how much time has passed between each line. Now, for an example's sake, I have not added any translations. Can you tell me what is actually said in the above example? I suppose you could use some Drommon to English translation web page, but how easily can you copy and paste content from the in game chat window?

Because the chances are that while you are still trying to copy and paste the first line, I pasted, I have already spammed the other eight, toggled your character hostile, and attacked.

Now, after the PvP I can just take a screenshot of the chat log and say that I did give an RP out. After all, there are nine lines of RP and the victim is just a sore loser who thought he could win, and is now very upset for no good reason.
" I am no longer here, the elves of the Sword Coast are just far too horrible... "
- Elminster, probably.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Sun Wukong wrote:Now, after the PvP I can just take a screenshot of the chat log and say that I did give an RP out. After all, there are nine lines of RP and the victim is just a sore loser who thought he could win, and is now very upset for no good reason.
the UD is a dangerous place. gotta watch yourself for those fast talking drommon psychopaths.
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
Reckeo

Unread post by Reckeo »

"Summafolk innit usin cant likes right wiffen boges a swag nay? Whutsinit?

Don't orb it gov, cuz it ain't orb-do, cous'."

Translation:

Some, if any people, are not utilizing in game thieve's cant when they discuss various nefarious acts of thievery, right? Why is this not the case?

You won't see it (respectful person), because it's not being done, friend. :End Translation:

This is not something that can be translate-able, it requires thought and effort because most of it is made up on the spot, and requires a criminal oriented mind to interpret. It's based on an English (as in, Royal England) sub-dialect that utilizes heavy slang and inferences of objects in order to cover up what they are saying, in ways that are twice removed from the object or subject being spoken about. I don't remember the exact dialect, but its pretty much what thieve's can't is based off of.

For example: One thief hands another thief a bag of loot in an underground hide out and says "Put it on the horse". There is no horse. They are referencing a table, which has four legs, and so does a horse. So table becomes: four legs: becomes horse. This type of 'thinking' is what defines the language, not an inherent language unto itself. Throw in a heavy East-Ender accent, and it sounds like a foreign language even in front of other people that are from the area.

Some of my facts might be a bit off (easily corrected by our wonderful Kingdom players across the pond), but its more of the point I am trying to make.

All I can say is, while interesting, it's much easier to simply use the damn in game language tool, as this is not knowledge that would be accessible for those outside of the 'cant' language.

The truth is that I feel OP's pain, and when people start talking in entire sentences in another language while using the common language filter, nah, I'm not going to RP with those people, and no, it doesn't make me a poor role player for investing my time and energy elsewhere.

I'm with Sun Wukong on this one.
aaron22
Recognized Donor

Unread post by aaron22 »

Reckeo wrote:"Summafolk innit usin cant likes right wiffen boges a swag nay? Whutsinit?

i "cant" understand that :lol:

do puns upset any of you?

sorry...

it's bedtime :sleeping-blue:
Khar B'ukagaroh
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is your only choice."
Bob Marley
flipside43

Unread post by flipside43 »

There was a ruling back in 2011 or so that said only to use the in game language generator to represent languages. Might be a bit of a chore to find it but I could try. I don't know what the current team thinks mind you.
Luke Darius - Clansman of House Darius, Noble of Baldur's Gate
Cenerae

Unread post by Cenerae »

Have your drow make fun of the other drow for being unable to speak their native tongue fluently and see where the RP takes you :lol:

Because as it stands, that is what they're doing. It would make sense when speaking in Common to races that wouldn't know Drow, because there's no real reason why a drow would be perfectly fluent in Common outside of specific backgrounds. Not so much when a drow talks to another drow though.
Reckeo

Unread post by Reckeo »

aaron22 wrote:
Reckeo wrote:"Summafolk innit usin cant likes right wiffen boges a swag nay? Whutsinit?

i "cant" understand that :lol:

do puns upset any of you?

sorry...

it's bedtime :sleeping-blue:
I lolled :dance:
Israe

Unread post by Israe »

From understanding intent, I can just say when I see someone using drow language instead of the in game one in the UD I usually see myself out with a valid to reason like "Sorry, phone call". Now in terms of titles I understand that, and I've grown accepting of a few common words even though I don't oocly agree with their use in the UD, that those words would only reflect in a foreign accent.

Now I'm curios of comdrow language, I want a surface to come to the u.s and use drow language with random common words. "Lolth kyarl you, bro bro"
NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Sun Wukong wrote:and they could simply spam the following lines:
Solution #1: Ping them a tell and ask them to translate sentence.
Solution #2: Switch translator to drow/undercommon and politely query whether the speaker has hit their head somewhere.

A good policy would be to treat any words not handled by translator at gibberish. If it doesn't pop up as "Elven: Translated" or "Drow: Translated", then it is not that language.
Sun Wukong wrote: In game screenshots do not have time stamps, there is no way of telling how much time has passed between each line.
Use chat logs created by client extension in conjunction with screenshots. Those have timestamps.
If you're extra paranoid, record your every play session as video.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

As far as I'm concerned, as long as this thread exists in the Gloura's Wings' RP forum, 'drommon' is more than welcome on BGTSCC. How much a person decides to (not) use is up to them alone. And someone is too lazy to spice up their own Drow RP with a sprinkle of 'drommon'~~ :confusion-shrug:

When I played my drow I never overdid it though and kept 'drommon' mostly to common titles, professions and greetings/farewells, simply because I couldn't be bothered memorising vocab for another language (6 is enough for me for now, thanks!)

For the most part I like to assume that 'common' UD chatter (that is, typing a line of RP in English and then hitting ENTER) is actually RPly either in Drowic or Undercommon, hence there's no real need to dose heavily in 'drommon', neither use the DMFI language widget unless there's specficially identified foreigners hanging around.
Reckeo

Unread post by Reckeo »

Tsidkenu wrote:As far as I'm concerned, as long as this thread exists in the Gloura's Wings' RP forum, 'drommon' is more than welcome on BGTSCC. How much a person decides to (not) use is up to them alone. And someone is too lazy to spice up their own Drow RP with a sprinkle of 'drommon'~~ :confusion-shrug:

When I played my drow I never overdid it though and kept 'drommon' mostly to common titles, professions and greetings/farewells, simply because I couldn't be bothered memorising vocab for another language (6 is enough for me for now, thanks!)

For the most part I like to assume that 'common' UD chatter (that is, typing a line of RP in English and then hitting ENTER) is actually RPly either in Drowic or Undercommon, hence there's no real need to dose heavily in 'drommon', neither use the DMFI language widget unless there's specficially identified foreigners hanging around.
You know to be fair, I have successfully RP'd characters that do not speak Elven, and Elven RPers were kind enough to either politely explain it to me IC, after I explained this to them, or we had a short ooc convo in tells and solved it quickly in a positive fashion.

Drommon is different due the relative RP lore of unexpected sudden violent encounters, I imagine.

I find it irritating, there ARE ways around it that are productive, but when people come up to me and my elf, and start throwing around that stuff, I just get like....ugh....I wanna play an elf, yeah, but between RL, balancing everything I got going on, multiple hobbies, and massive amounts of other things going on, I really don't want to have to take a crash course in a fake language otherwise face a severe 'nose snubbing' of the expectations OTHERS have on MY characters.

Plenty of people come up to me and ask "Are you from Doron Amar?".....NO! I've had human characters come up to me and start in with the "Alluve fair kin" or whatever it is. It's nice, I totally get it, but I'm playing wild dancing travelling wood elves that are based on other notions from other fantasy genres (like daalish elves from dragon age, or wood elves from warhammer fantasy), and this isn't exactly outside the realm of fantasy possibility within the given realm.

Let's remember: These fantasy games are designed as backgrounds to feed imagination, not force it into a shoe box and an attitude "If it wasn't in a published book then its impossible!"

Not accurate. I fight with my buddy IRL ALL THE TIME about this stuff. He's a warhammer fantasy/warhammer 40k book head, and constantly trying to infringe on the things I do when I make own characters/armies. I have to 'kindly' remind him it's meant to be a bit more free.

/endrant

Point I'm trying to make is that I feel like when I'm on my elf, other elves or people that cultivate this mentality impose expectations of how I'm supposed to play mine.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Reckeo wrote:Point I'm trying to make is that I feel like when I'm on my elf, other elves or people that cultivate this mentality impose expectations of how I'm supposed to play mine.
This sums it up well, actually, but how accepting can we also be of those players that enjoy interspersing their drow RP with 'drommon' and not disdain them for their choices?

Respect not only goes both ways, it also goes deep, when carefully cultivated, into creating a roleplay environment for everyone to enjoy whether newbie or veteran, casual or lore-hardcore.
Reckeo

Unread post by Reckeo »

Tsidkenu wrote:
Reckeo wrote:Point I'm trying to make is that I feel like when I'm on my elf, other elves or people that cultivate this mentality impose expectations of how I'm supposed to play mine.
This sums it up well, actually, but how accepting can we also be of those players that enjoy interspersing their drow RP with 'drommon' and not disdain them for their choices?

Respect not only goes both ways, it also goes deep, when carefully cultivated, into creating a roleplay environment for everyone to enjoy whether newbie or veteran, casual or lore-hardcore.
I think maybe the issue is when people approach and engage doing this in full sentences right off the bat. A gentle easing in might be more preferable.

With wine and dinner first. I'll show myself out.
electric mayhem

Unread post by electric mayhem »

Honestly... speak one or the other.

What's the point in going halfway.

If you're going to show-off that you've dived into the made up character lore to spice up your own RP. Don't be surprised when the person you're trying to RP with turns around and either walks away or says "Are you alright?"
May as well speak the full sentences in the Drow tongue if you're clever enough to remember every aspect of it.

Or... as Tsid and others have said. If you're in a specific society location, the common (default in NWN2) could be argued to be their local common tongue wherever you are. IF you're in company of mixed races... then use the in game widget.

Just because someone either doesn't know the local racial language OOCly mind you (ie this starts diving into the meta game realm), or doesn't visit the forums, and then goes to look for a particular thread, they shouldn't be disadvantaged in the game in regards to racial languages, espcially since mechanically their character DOES know the language ICly.

This entire thread can be supplanted to any racial language for that manner in game.

~Claret - Proprietor of Clarity Cellars.
~Wouveir - Hellstorm Crew
~Adolamin Marblerune - Arcane Engineer and Lorekeeper citizen of the Kingdom of Kraak Helzak. [His Story]
~Harrison Remillard - Morninglord of the Song of the Morning Temple.

NegInfinity

Unread post by NegInfinity »

Tsidkenu wrote: This sums it up well, actually, but how accepting can we also be of those players that enjoy interspersing their drow RP with 'drommon' and not disdain them for their choices?
Actually you'll simply need to modify language translator to pick up well-known non-common words inserted into common language stream.

So Usstan/Jabress and other stuff gets properly translated if the langauge is known.

Return to “Rules”