For Guidance, Questions, or Concerns Relating to Server Rules and Forum Rules

Moderators: Moderator, Quality Control, Developer, DM

Tanlaus
Quality Control

Re: Delete Kill-on-Sight rules

Unread post by Tanlaus »

c2k wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:30 am
Tanlaus wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:21 am
I would actually be for DM sanctioned surface raids and vice versa for retaliation. It would mix things up and create more dramatic tension in the setting, and if it’s sanctioned in some way only people who are interested can participate.
That has happened in the past. That also became a big issue on the server when it did happen.
Well I’m with the prevailing sentiment that if people can’t handle it, it’s not worth doing.

I would treat it more like a dm event where players who are participating are on a separate map. No one gets caught in the crossfire if they don’t want to be there.

On the other hand, I used to play a lot of Dark Ages of Camelot where RvR was kind of the point of the game so maybe my perception of it is colored by years of my character dying over and over at the hands of other players 😀
Oarthias
Custom Content

Unread post by Oarthias »

It became a big occ mess when players did it on their own and it became the only thing some characters had to respond to on a daily basis. Rescues were having to be planed and done almost daily and it got to be too much. That said I think having raids to the surface again would be a fantastic idea, just -not- a weekly or even monthly event.
~Vanira (Boots)~
Captain, Order of the Radiant Heart & A Councilor of Doron Amar
~Menolly Silverarrow~
Druidess and Elixir Maker
chad878262
QC Coordinator

Unread post by chad878262 »

In case it wasn't obvious, my comment regarding PvP KoS anywhere outside civilized lands was a good natured bit of sarcasm on my part. While it would work in a private server where everyone knew everyone else and/or there was a bit more expectation of being mature and easy going about winning/losing such things, on BG that simply isn't the case. Personally I really wish our DM staff spent far more time telling stories with us and far less time dealing with drama between players and factions (not to mention fixing broken characters, helping players that took a wrong feat, and all the other non-story telling stuff they are saddled with).

Changes to rule's at least in the short term tend to put additional strain on DMs with folks who don't keep apprised on the forums (or simply ignore any change they don't like until they get a hand slapped). We can wax philosophic about each of our ideas of what the 'perfect' rules would entail, but simply put there are a lot of different players who's idea's conflict. In the absence of a clear majority, the rulings on the server will tend to stay as is based on what I have seen in the past. And those rulings are there for a reason, regardless if anyone seems to think 'it will be different this time' the fact that there are ~200 other players of various levels of activity means it simply won't be different.

Reasons have been provided throughout the thread on both sides, but end of the day the job of the DMs is to protect (as much as possible) the integrity and lore of the setting. Allowing for surface/underdark travel with an OOC protection against PvP which is alike to teflon will have the result of Drow and any other underdark race walking about with impunity since if someone attempts PvP they can simply say "You're not worth my time, rivil." *walks away* and never deal with any consequences of coming to the other side. Same goes for surfacers in the Underdark.

And of course the next ask will be to once again remove the XP and loot restrictions which will then be followed with Paladins running about with drow necromancers grinding <insert spot here>. While this may be a tough pill to swallow for some, the reality is that if an exploit (either mechanical or lorewise) exists, it will be taken advantage of and plenty of players will spit all over any immersion crushing activity in the name of 'fun'. Forget about the fact that their 'fun' ruins the experience for everyone that comes in contact with them in game.

Apologies as this comes off as overly negative, but it is simple truth which has been shown over and over again. We shouldn't make it easier and / or rewarding for players to circumvent FR lore or server history.
Chord Silverstrings - Bard and OSR Squire / Tarent Nefzen - Arcane Wand Merchant and Master Alchemist / Irrace Arkentlar - Drow Adventurer / Finneaus Du'Veil - Gem Merchant and Executive Officer of SCCE

Tarent's Wands and Elixirs

A Wand Crafter's guide to using wands
Thaelis
Recognized Donor

Unread post by Thaelis »

I'd just like to say that the one time I did get in PvP in the Underdark the Drow player was extremely mature and was willing to give us an RP-out, despite having the right to kill us on sight. He gave us several RP warnings to leave his territory and we refused, resulting in PvP.

I always recall that encounter fondly and have total respect for that guy.

PS: Sorry for throwing 10 bottles of perfected alchemists fire on you though, it had to be done <:D
Thalanis Silverleaf - Moon Elf Woodsman Deceased

Aerendyl Dy'ner - Blacksmith and Explorer
Deragnost

Unread post by Deragnost »

Blackbird wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:52 pm Imagine everyone campfire chatting at night and a large group of drow hidden by magic/HiPS, pops out of the bushes and the campfire is suddenly surrounded.
I don't know, both as UDer and Surfacer I'm not thrilled by the idea... unless we want an all-out war. That would be interesting! Let's KoS everyone! 0:)
Rose Wintertal , Itinerant Minstrel, Troublemaker, Administrator of the Phoenix Company and The Run a Rig owner!

Trissae Baeniryn , Yatharil
Flasmix
Associate DM

Unread post by Flasmix »

*deleted by mods*
Wirg to Pug: "Iz lat dun?"
Pugratix to a snarky militia man: "Mmmm. Not yet. I will live for hundreds of years and be heralded as one of the greatest forces of destruction on the face of the world. The only thing you can destroy is the outhouse."
Snarfy

Unread post by Snarfy »

... aaaand, cue Planeshopper!

There are no level 30's, only level 20's with benefits...
Planehopper
Lead Moderator

Unread post by Planehopper »

Yeah. Thats a wrap!

You've all given the Admins and DMs plenty to think about. If there are any changes to be made, I'm sure there is adequate input here.
Roleplay – This is a roleplay server set in the Forgotten Realms campaign world.

Player Housing Guidelines

View-Intention-Speech-Action-Livelihood-Effort-Mindfulness-Concentration

Return to “Rules”