1351 Campaign - Act 1: Warlock's Crypt and the Plague in BG

The "Year of the Crown" Campaign

Moderators: Moderator, DM

DM Theophanies
Retired Staff

Re: Baldur's Gate / North 1351 Campaign Thread

Unread post by DM Theophanies »

Visions

Late in the evening, the clergy, paladins and favored souls of various faiths and races recieve a vision.

Of the Human Gods: Mystra, Helm, Torm, Tyr, Lathander, Umberlee, Jergal and Myrkul
Of the Dwarves: Gorm Gulthyn, Berronar Truesilver and Clanggedin Silverbeard
Of the Elves: Corellon Larethian and Sehanine Moonbow
Of the Gnomes: Garl Glittergold
Of the Halflings: Yondalla

Individuals would recieve the vision either in their dreams or if awake then overcoming their vision as if they are living it in real time. The visions would be especially vivid and intense for the clergy.

The vision begins in a crowded wood.

A deer exits the bush and regards you curiously, it's head rotating around 360 degrees to view you, the velocity of the turn increasing every second until in nearly a blink it was over... did it really happen? It was hot after all and water was sparse in the hills, unless you braved the warring troll kingdoms who safeguard what surface water is available nearby. Your mind is wandering...

The deer bolts out, quite rapidly moving faster than expected, faster than a haste spell, twirling and bounding around the ground moving out of time with the surroundings until it suddenly smashed into the ground by a boulder.

The roars of legions of trolls break the silence as the descent upon you, though you are not in your regular clothes, dressed only in rags and tiny sharpened sticks. You may try to run though your legs do not move as they are caught in the mire, sinking slowly into oblivion... the last thing heard is not the yell of trolls as they descend onto their waiting prey but a laughter in the back of their mind...

Then the scene changes, you are once again dressed in their regular attire only now you stand within the dreaded Necropolis of Warlocks Crypt.

Menacing blackened spires reach up from the ground like skeleton limbs out of the soil, attempting to defile the now night sky. There is a long path before them, winding in broken cobblestone, lined with the ruins of ancient pillars.

The path ascends a large hill which leads up to a large castle like structure with blackened doors covered in dried and stained blood. Deadly spikes penetrate out from around the structure and the doors themselves are mainly closed, with one barely wedged open. The laughter sounds again, only now it booms across the necropolis as lightning splits the sky.

Ahead, before the door, a ancient human lich appears dressed only in ancient bones and radiating in power. He looks to you his expression unchanging for what may seem like a moment or an eternity before there is a sudden flash and he appears beside you.

"You must leave fore the door is ajar, the dogs will escape... do not open it wider.... there will be great devastation if you do not prepare" the lich utters in a monotone voice, though hints of concern underlay his words. Another flash of light and the lich stands ahead of them, half way between the door and their location. "I have no time, turn back, prepare..."

Laughter floods your mind as the scene and the vision ends...
[/i][/color]
Layla0340

Unread post by Layla0340 »

DM Theophanies wrote:
Visions
Hidden: show
Late in the evening, the clergy, paladins and favored souls of various faiths and races recieve a vision.

Of the Human Gods: Mystra, Helm, Torm, Tyr, Lathander, Umberlee, Jergal and Myrkul
Of the Dwarves: Gorm Gulthyn, Berronar Truesilver and Clanggedin Silverbeard
Of the Elves: Corellon Larethian and Sehanine Moonbow
Of the Gnomes: Garl Glittergold
Of the Halflings: Yondalla

Individuals would recieve the vision either in their dreams or if awake then overcoming their vision as if they are living it in real time. The visions would be especially vivid and intense for the clergy.

The vision begins in a crowded wood.

A deer exits the bush and regards you curiously, it's head rotating around 360 degrees to view you, the velocity of the turn increasing every second until in nearly a blink it was over... did it really happen? It was hot after all and water was sparse in the hills, unless you braved the warring troll kingdoms who safeguard what surface water is available nearby. Your mind is wandering...

The deer bolts out, quite rapidly moving faster than expected, faster than a haste spell, twirling and bounding around the ground moving out of time with the surroundings until it suddenly smashed into the ground by a boulder.

The roars of legions of trolls break the silence as the descent upon you, though you are not in your regular clothes, dressed only in rags and tiny sharpened sticks. You may try to run though your legs do not move as they are caught in the mire, sinking slowly into oblivion... the last thing heard is not the yell of trolls as they descend onto their waiting prey but a laughter in the back of their mind...

Then the scene changes, you are once again dressed in their regular attire only now you stand within the dreaded Necropolis of Warlocks Crypt.

Menacing blackened spires reach up from the ground like skeleton limbs out of the soil, attempting to defile the now night sky. There is a long path before them, winding in broken cobblestone, lined with the ruins of ancient pillars.

The path ascends a large hill which leads up to a large castle like structure with blackened doors covered in dried and stained blood. Deadly spikes penetrate out from around the structure and the doors themselves are mainly closed, with one barely wedged open. The laughter sounds again, only now it booms across the necropolis as lightning splits the sky.

Ahead, before the door, a ancient human lich appears dressed only in ancient bones and radiating in power. He looks to you his expression unchanging for what may seem like a moment or an eternity before there is a sudden flash and he appears beside you.

"You must leave fore the door is ajar, the dogs will escape... do not open it wider.... there will be great devastation if you do not prepare" the lich utters in a monotone voice, though hints of concern underlay his words. Another flash of light and the lich stands ahead of them, half way between the door and their location. "I have no time, turn back, prepare..."

Laughter floods your mind as the scene and the vision ends...
[/i][/color][/spoiler]
(((OOC I have to say, that is an epic post, nicely done
Sani - Mistress of Wands
DM Dialectic

Unread post by DM Dialectic »

A few rangers and druids are seen returning to the Eastern Farmlands of Baldur's Gate after a long expedition in the north. Looks of terror and fear and implications of some sort of "bone wyrm" and "undead knight" scouts seem to be on their lips as they go about their business back in civilization and their public gossip is picked up by passing Baldurian farmers and talked about extensively among the common folk in the area with concern.

//OOC mention of the IC participants:

Celduil, rewarded 2000 Gold
Vendor, rewarded 2000 Gold
Nai, rewarded 2000 Gold
Mendel, rewarded 2000 Gold
Junior, rewarded 2000 XP//
DM Theophanies
Retired Staff

The Return of Pusshroud
Strange Visitations and Mass Grave

Several adventurers were suddenly and abruptly met by an psychotic and powerful lich, yelling about killing Abel and raising undead to attack them before vanishing.

Later on, a localized but powerful storm surged in proximity to a rift between the planes ontop a hill in Thundar's Ride. Undead raised from their graves as strange creatures emerged from the rift to assult any who came near. When a group organized to close the rift and put down the undead, the lich would eventually reveal himself again. Yet again he yelled about killing Abel and raised an entire mass grave full of undead to assault the group. They were able to defend, put the undead to rest and sanctify the ground. Lately, another rifted open to reveal the lich within, ranting that the war is far from over. The group were able to overcome the ancient magic and close the rift.

Now in the taverns of Baldur's Gate, tales and rumors spread of a psychotic lich yelling about this Abel....
DM Theophanies
Retired Staff

LISA100595 wrote:*Lady Elvina sends out sealed missives, in flowing script, to all the Allies with important but grave information. She also includes a copy to the Dukes for their review to keep abreast of the information and happenings. The letter is sealed with the Order of the Silver Rose Insignia, a shield with crossed swords and a silver rose overlay*
Dearest Friends and Allies;

I must share with you the current happenings of our Order. I know some of you have had the same vision.. here may be some answers.

We need to rally together and prepare! We need to "think outside the box" and be creative with how we plan ... Right Now while we have the time and before the threat is upon us.

I am requesting one or two from each of our allies join us in a Joint Conference to "share notes" on all of these happenings....we can meet in the secure walls of the OSR Keep.

(( DM Event
will be this Sunday the 19th at 18:00 (GMT) or 2:00pm (EST)[/I]

LISA100595 wrote:The Spirit Abel came to the keep with the Sentient Sword Sventar at his hip.

I suggest very strongly we take this spirits words as truth. I feel he is telling the truth as he has proved trustworthy in the past.

He came to warn of a dire threat that has returned to the coast.

Abel: Indeed, I have fought my brother across many planes and across many places since we last met. I have fought beside Sventar *he touches the hilt as he says the name* and our battles have been long and brutal.
He has recently been drawn back to the these lands by a powerful lich whom he refers to as the Shadow King.
Though my brother often rants in madness, it appears this Shadow King is a powerful lich who bends other liches and undead to his will.
As he has the lich that was once my brother.

*speaking of the Shadow King* A very ancient and powerful lich, as ancient as Netheril itself I believe.
I do not know how to stop him, if it is even possible.
I only know my brother's power has grown since returning, he is stronger than ever, though his madness has increased tenfold.
Perhaps, he seemed to have been drawn to a place in the north, a high concentration of undead amongst the hills surrounded by trolls.
Though I recieved a vision from Amauntor, whom you call Lathander in these later days.
Although much of it was cryptic I believe, it was a warning to prepare and be ready, that an evil will come upon the land.
First I was within the wood, being chased by trolls. Then within the ruins of an ancient netherese city.
A lich stood before me, warning me not to open the Gate any further.
That the Gate was already opened a crack and that the dogs would escape. To turn back and to prepare.
I believe it was Amanautor, though it was a lich speaking in the vision.

*Seth asked* and how should we prepare? with what weapons or majiks?

I do not know. Sventar and I are searching for some means to combat the undead.
I have only returned to warn you of my brother's return as he in and of himself is a dire threat.

*Seth suggested a sword that is made for healing instead of damage*

Well the vision was clear enough on the matter, it is time to prepare. If you believe such a thing may help.

*Elvina stated we cannot combat such a force of undead like that lies in that city, perhaps sending the entire city away? Seth mentioned not knowing anyone powerful enough to do so and Missy suggested we go to the Netherese ruines and look for clues or answers. Gina agreed. *

From the vision, I do not think the threat is directly the city, but what has escaped through the open door.
These "dogs" as the lich referred to them.
It was... cryptic. I do not believe it was a literal door, only that something had stirred them to leave the city.
You must plan to face the dogs. Or at least find out whatever these dogs are after to stop them.
I will travel with Sventar to try to find some way to combat them.
I had not recieved such a vision in my life, let alone in my time as a spirit.
But I believe what I speak is true regarding the vision.

Ok, so knowing this... We need to get our Allies and band together to prepare.
I believe this has something to do with ALL the other Undead and Lich sightings in the area as well as the Undead Troll problem for the Dwarves.

He said something disturbed them.. I'm going to go with my best guess at this point and say it was that GNOME who disturbed them and brought the plague to the City......... We need to know if he TOOK anything from there that they want Back?

Lets get all the leaders of our guilds together and discuss it...

Lady Elvina.
Layla0340

Unread post by Layla0340 »

Kheeldriver emergency relief force

*frantic scribbled notes start appearing all over the coast*

The undead force outside of Kheeldriver is expected to reach the village of Kheeldriver tommorrow!. I will be forming up a relief force of whoever is willing to fight for the town. We will teleport north from the Boarsky bridge in the morning. You can expect bad odds, and most likely we will be defending walls.

Initial scouting reports indicate the attacking force will consist of large numbers of mindless undead, zombies, skeletons, and large golems. There is a heavy taint of plague in its wake.

*signed*
Sani

ps: You may have had disagreements in the past with me. I am willing to overlook those and work with you in order to save this town. I do not care who you are, if you are willing to try and stop the undead, your welcome. However, no summoning undead, demons, or turning into demons etc. Use your common sense on what skills you have that we will not be forced to react negatively to.

((( event is 15 GMT, 10 AM CST, Saturday 4/18
Sani - Mistress of Wands
DM Theophanies
Retired Staff

I am going to push this back an hour to 19:00 GMT to avoid any conflict with a player run event.
Hidden: show
DM Theophanies wrote:
LISA100595 wrote:*Lady Elvina sends out sealed missives, in flowing script, to all the Allies with important but grave information. She also includes a copy to the Dukes for their review to keep abreast of the information and happenings. The letter is sealed with the Order of the Silver Rose Insignia, a shield with crossed swords and a silver rose overlay*
Dearest Friends and Allies;

I must share with you the current happenings of our Order. I know some of you have had the same vision.. here may be some answers.

We need to rally together and prepare! We need to "think outside the box" and be creative with how we plan ... Right Now while we have the time and before the threat is upon us.

I am requesting one or two from each of our allies join us in a Joint Conference to "share notes" on all of these happenings....we can meet in the secure walls of the OSR Keep.

(( DM Event
will be this Sunday the 19th at 18:00 (GMT) or 2:00pm (EST)[/I]

LISA100595 wrote:The Spirit Abel came to the keep with the Sentient Sword Sventar at his hip.

I suggest very strongly we take this spirits words as truth. I feel he is telling the truth as he has proved trustworthy in the past.

He came to warn of a dire threat that has returned to the coast.

Abel: Indeed, I have fought my brother across many planes and across many places since we last met. I have fought beside Sventar *he touches the hilt as he says the name* and our battles have been long and brutal.
He has recently been drawn back to the these lands by a powerful lich whom he refers to as the Shadow King.
Though my brother often rants in madness, it appears this Shadow King is a powerful lich who bends other liches and undead to his will.
As he has the lich that was once my brother.

*speaking of the Shadow King* A very ancient and powerful lich, as ancient as Netheril itself I believe.
I do not know how to stop him, if it is even possible.
I only know my brother's power has grown since returning, he is stronger than ever, though his madness has increased tenfold.
Perhaps, he seemed to have been drawn to a place in the north, a high concentration of undead amongst the hills surrounded by trolls.
Though I recieved a vision from Amauntor, whom you call Lathander in these later days.
Although much of it was cryptic I believe, it was a warning to prepare and be ready, that an evil will come upon the land.
First I was within the wood, being chased by trolls. Then within the ruins of an ancient netherese city.
A lich stood before me, warning me not to open the Gate any further.
That the Gate was already opened a crack and that the dogs would escape. To turn back and to prepare.
I believe it was Amanautor, though it was a lich speaking in the vision.

*Seth asked* and how should we prepare? with what weapons or majiks?

I do not know. Sventar and I are searching for some means to combat the undead.
I have only returned to warn you of my brother's return as he in and of himself is a dire threat.

*Seth suggested a sword that is made for healing instead of damage*

Well the vision was clear enough on the matter, it is time to prepare. If you believe such a thing may help.

*Elvina stated we cannot combat such a force of undead like that lies in that city, perhaps sending the entire city away? Seth mentioned not knowing anyone powerful enough to do so and Missy suggested we go to the Netherese ruines and look for clues or answers. Gina agreed. *

From the vision, I do not think the threat is directly the city, but what has escaped through the open door.
These "dogs" as the lich referred to them.
It was... cryptic. I do not believe it was a literal door, only that something had stirred them to leave the city.
You must plan to face the dogs. Or at least find out whatever these dogs are after to stop them.
I will travel with Sventar to try to find some way to combat them.
I had not recieved such a vision in my life, let alone in my time as a spirit.
But I believe what I speak is true regarding the vision.

Ok, so knowing this... We need to get our Allies and band together to prepare.
I believe this has something to do with ALL the other Undead and Lich sightings in the area as well as the Undead Troll problem for the Dwarves.

He said something disturbed them.. I'm going to go with my best guess at this point and say it was that GNOME who disturbed them and brought the plague to the City......... We need to know if he TOOK anything from there that they want Back?

Lets get all the leaders of our guilds together and discuss it...

Lady Elvina.
Tsidkenu

Unread post by Tsidkenu »

Once word of the encroaching mass of undead reaches the Mystran priestess' ears she begins moving with a determined sense of urgency. She runs about some of the local places where she has friends, looking especially for Lady Cecilia Lafayette in the Helm and Cloak, Brother Ameris Santraeger in the Temple of Ilmater as well as Watchknight Sveta Asperan in the Temple of Helm. She would also briefly stop by Endelyon's house to see if she is at home, as well as informing Telia Navra if she is also in the Temple of Ilmater. She reports that they must make a move to Kheldrivver immediately and, having been to Kheldrivver before, she will be utilising a Greater Teleport from her sanctuary within the hour so that they might get to Kheldrivver post haste.
Hidennka
Retired Staff

Unread post by Hidennka »

Cecilia would be found at the Helm & Cloak and quick to heed Aeili's call, ready to leave on a moments notice. Uttering a single sending, soft in tone, the Lady-Knight straps herself into plated mithral and strides after the Mystran Priestess with queries of strategy and mention of Kraak Helzak.
[x] Lady Cecilia Lafayette: Harbinger of Hope, returned to Cormyr. RETIRED.
[x] Leyla El'uvian- Feral elf, abandoned society for a loving den in the woods. Alt. RETIRED.
tankteddy

Unread post by tankteddy »

After holding off the Undead hoard War boss Dah of clan Kogan take up a post to hold the gates. Still wounded he keeps to himself as he keeps watch. Every so often changing his bandages.
Theodar Battleforge: "Oi! What dis do?" *BOOM*
Thar Kogan "A har Thar!"
talisen

Unread post by talisen »

As the siege of the undead drags on, the sound of hammers striking against wood echo out from the makeshift fortifications at the center of Kheldrivver. The courtyard and makeshift siege base there is a hive of activity; scouts move stealthily out of the gates, a hulking knight in the armor of the Silver Rose stands watch at the gates. At the center of it all, what few trees line the square are cut down and split into logs, forming the new structure that is beginning to take shape: a catapult.

Eight or so figures are seen to move around the thing, moving away into the village to gather supplies as needed. Ratchets are assembled, metal streetlamps bent into makeshift metal supports; nails are pulled out of non-essential structures to aid in the constructions. Loose cobbles are pulled from the road to serve as a counterweights, while a strand of rope is cut from the village well to serve in the construction. At the same time, others are seen to gather up supplies to serve as makeshift ammunition; barrels are being filled with broken glass and statues, loose nails and pieces of broken weapons, all heavily doused in fresh holy water by Cromis, cleric of Hoar. A short human (or possibly dwarf) sings loudly and out of key in the background, supplying moral support for the workers without breaking a sweat, much to the consternation of a man in black leathers.

Participants:
Tegeus
Talisen
Gasten
Sani
Lucky
Morton
Terri
Musical support from Gruel
Nothing is hidden.
Tsidkenu

A separate group of five teleported into Kheldrivver's town square from the Temple of Mystra in Baldur's Gate. They arrived just as the undead began to overrun the gatehouse and lent what aid they could to the main force which had arrived earlier. The blue-robed priestess of Mystra did what she could, slowing the undead forces using grease and web spells and eventually began to use more and more powerful magic to distrupt them and incinerate them with giant walls of flame. Several of the golems she eliminated using an immensely powerful beam of white energy which seemed to have come from Mystra herself, but their overall numbers were just too much; they were forced to retreat to the inner walls.

However when it was realised that the undead advance had been halted at the excavation site of the old Oghmanyte library the priestess would move down to where golems and undead were now standing a silent guard at the entrance to the excavation site. A wall of force blocked any access and the priestess began to analyse the magical dweomer with a sophisticated divination to assess the magical nature and strength of the protective barrier.

She had one Disjunction spell at the ready to try to bring down the barrier and give her allies a chance to get inside and interrupt the foul creature that was inside absorbing hundreds of years of history and knowledge in moments as it moved from tome to tome, scroll to scroll, grimoire to grimoire. Should that attempt at disjunction fail, she was ready with her contingency plan to give her allies access by opening a dimensional door directly inside the excavation site, bypassing the wall entirely.
Calodan

Unread post by Calodan »

A separate group of five teleported into Kheldrivver's town square from the Temple of Mystra in Baldur's Gate. They arrived just as the undead began to overrun the gatehouse and lent what aid they could to the main force which had arrived earlier. The blue-robed priestess of Mystra did what she could, slowing the undead forces using grease and web spells and eventually began to use more and more powerful magic to distrupt them and incinerate them with giant walls of flame. Several of the golems she eliminated using an immensely powerful beam of white energy which seemed to have come from Mystra herself, but their overall numbers were just too much; they were forced to retreat to the inner walls.

However when it was realised that the undead advance had been halted at the excavation site of the old Oghmanyte library the priestess would move down to where golems and undead were now standing a silent guard at the entrance to the excavation site. A wall of force blocked any access and the priestess began to analyse the magical dweomer with a sophisticated divination to assess the magical nature and strength of the protective barrier.

She had one Disjunction spell at the ready to try to bring down the barrier and give her allies a chance to get inside and interrupt the foul creature that was inside absorbing hundreds of years of history and knowledge in moments as it moved from tome to tome, scroll to scroll, grimoire to grimoire. Should that attempt at disjunction fail, she was ready with her contingency plan to give her allies access by opening a dimensional door directly inside the excavation site, bypassing the wall entirely.
Koryeneer would head down to also inspect the ward upon the entrance barring any from pursuit casting detect magic and studying the effects

////Spellcraft Mod 29 UMD Mod 30
Kory Sentinel
"We should take the army head on!"

"... it sounds like a terrible idea, but look at that smile."
"And he just sounds so confident ... he is a favored soul."
"Even if we don't survive, he will, and isn't that what matters?" -Red Lancer
SirGabrielK

Unread post by SirGabrielK »

*Edward helps with the barrier however he can. He pulls out a few scrolls and wards himself with a few utility wards, studying closely the barriers power and trying to figure out how he could bring it down in order to stop the ghastly figure down below*

// Spellcraft mod 29, UMD mod 33, using "Detect Magic" scrolls to study the barrier with more accuracy.
Edward Drath - Reader of Candlekeep, Merchant.
Dokrum - Sellsword
Alfonse Songsteel - Bard Diehard, Ladies' Man.
Alex - Faithful of Waukeen.
Tsidkenu

DMogorgon wrote:After two days of awkward silence, as Kheldiver's residents huddle in their homes and go through their food reserves, and army of undead and exotic golems outside their homes... just... waiting.

The massive undead hoard bolstered by Golems suddenly starts to march... back the way they had come.... Adventurers preparing siege equipment in the town square would watch in confusion as they would see the hoard march back the way they came, why they came, still a mystery.

The Priestess of Mystra stays her hand and chooses not to disturb the creature within the library. If she is asked why she no longer wishes to act against the creature she simply replies that she came here to protect the citizens of Kheldrivver and that she suspects to disturb the being would provoke its ire and endanger the town more than it already is. This goal is accomplished after a few days when the undead force withdraw with as great a mystery as they had when they first came. The Priestess would linger in the town for another day just to ensure the safety of the inhabitants before telling her friends that she intends on teleporting back the Baldur's Gate and she is willing to accommodate no more than six others who may wish to join her. She does not say much else, keeping her thoughts within her.

Return to “The 1351 (2015) Campaign”