On the State of the Server

Moderator: Moderator

Maecius
Retired Admin

On the State of the Server

Unread post by Maecius »

As many of you are aware, the server has been made unstable these past couple of weeks. I say that it has been made unstable, because, as several of you have already guessed, the server has been targeted by a number of cyber attacks.

In our time with the Neverwinter Nights 2 community, BG:TSCC has been subjected to numerous forms of attack. We've weathered everything from hackers, to insider threats, to slander and character assassination. One thing all of these attacks had in common, though, was that they primarily targeted the server's staff, taking issue with our policy, with our personalities, or with our rulings.

This is the first time in my memory that someone has so deliberately targeted our players by jeopardizing so entirely their enjoyment of their server.

I have to admit that it makes me quite sad. I also have to admit that we were never expecting this level of malice from anyone in this community. This is an ancient game, by industry standards, with a tight-knit community of loyal players. Why someone would think to target its servers in this fashion is a little bit unbelievable to me.

But that is what we have been dealing with. We've been inundated with attacks, and have been doing everything we can to ward off the blows. But we weren't set up to be a cyber fortress. We were set up to give you, our players, a great gaming experience.

I have touched based with the Federal Bureau of Investigation, which deals with cybercrime issues in the United States (where our server is hosted). I was directed to the Internet Crime Complaint Center, which is apparently a joint task force dedicated to resolving cybercrime and apprehending cyber criminals. It is one route we are investigating.

Another route we are looking into is improving our network and server's protective capabilities. This would of course increase our server bills, but we are not prepared to be defeated, or to let you all down, on account of our wallets. We have worked too hard, with too many great people, to allow a criminal to write our final chapter.

Luna, the staff, the DMs, and I, are all very sorry that you have to put up with this. I would like to thank you all for your continued support, however, and for your kind words and positive attitudes. We will do everything we can to give you your server back. Because it is your server. You play here. Your family and friends are here. We are all family and friends here. We stand for each other, even when we sometimes bloody each other's noses.

And we'll be standing here, damn proud of our one-of-a-kind Neverwinter Nights 2 community, for many, many years to come.
Luna
Retired Admin

Re: On the State of the Server

Unread post by Luna »

* bumping in case anyone missed it *
Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: On the State of the Server

Unread post by Maecius »

As some of you have likely noticed, the server is being intentionally crashed again. Please bear with us as we consider our options once more.

We apologize for the inconvenience -- and privately wish that people would just be nice to each other.

Return to “Archive”