State of the Server (2016-2017)

Moderator: Moderator

Maecius
Retired Admin

Re: State of the Server (2016-2017)

Unread post by Maecius »

The host and server machine transition is happening now. Fingers crossed that everyone wakes up tomorrow with a shiny new server.

Please use this thread to report bugs once it's live: http://bgtscc.net/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=52669&p=665860
Endelyon

Unread post by Endelyon »

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

The new server is up. You can connect at 158.69.123.65:31337.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Unfortunately, due to some very serious exploits that crept in during the transfer process, we have decided to rollback the server to before last night's transition to ensure a level playing field for all our players.

Moreover, we've decided to reopen the server on the old host and at the old IP address while we troubleshoot what went wrong.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and for any loss this causes, but feel it's best for the server to fix it early rather than let problems build on themselves over time.

Thank you for your understanding and your patience with this process. It's new to us and not as easy as we hoped it'd be!
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

Based on staff availability, we're going to try to transition to the new host again either tonight or tomorrow.

Please be advised that if the remaining bug we're having on the new server with the RCR bot cannot be resolved, we will be temporarily disabling the bot until we can get it working.

You should be safe to use RCR until about 22:00 GMT today (21 June). After that, RCR at your own risk. If the bot is disabled before you collect your xp off of it, you will have to wait until it's fixed and reenabled to collect your stored xp.
Duster47
Retired Staff

Unread post by Duster47 »

Maecius wrote:You should be safe to use RCR until about 22:00 GMT today (21 June). After that, RCR at your own risk. If the bot is disabled before you collect your xp off of it, you will have to wait until it's fixed and reenabled to collect your stored xp.
I also recommend you get a screen shot of showing the XP you are storing in case we have database retrieval issues once the RCR thing is sorted out.

If the RCR thing is not sorted out with this next iteration, I will change the dialog noted RCR is temporarily disabled until we figure out the problem.
PC1 = Nerys, Emissary and Skald of the Greyfox tribe, roaming north near Secomber
PC2 = Valqis Sanejmeh; far away cartographer, Oracle of Nut at chaltin QulDaq, former navigator of the Sea Seeker, Reader of Candlekeep and sometime performer.
Endelyon

The RCR/character deleter bug is fixed. I'm going to bring the server down in about 15 minutes (at 1:40 AM EST, 5:40 AM GMT) to try to transition to the new one once more. The downtime should only be about 15 minutes after I bring it down.
Endelyon

New server is up yet again!

158.69.123.65:31337.

Let us know if you experience any odd behavior.
Endelyon

As a result of a DDOS attack we experienced earlier today, I've restricted access for several ranges of IP addresses. If your IP address falls within the following regions, you will not be able to connect to the server currently.

23.0.0.0/8, 24.0.0.0/8, 27.0.0.0/8, 31.0.0.0/8, 42.0.0.0/8, 46.0.0.0/8, 58.0.0.0/8, 59.0.0.0/8, 113.0.0.0/8, 115.0.0.0/8, 116.0.0.0/8, 117.0.0.0/8, 118.0.0.0/8, 119.0.0.0/8, 122.0.0.0/8, 171.0.0.0/8, 178.0.0.0/8, 180.0.0.0/7, 182.0.0.0/8, 212.0.0.0/8, 217.0.0.0/8, 218.0.0.0/7, 220.0.0.0/6

(for instance, if your IP address ranges anywhere from 42.0.0.1 to 42.255.255.255 you will not be able to connect). If you are having a connection problem, check your IP. If it starts with one of those numbers above, then it means that you won't be able to log in.

To gain access to the server you will need to send me a private message with your IP address so I can add you to a whitelist so you'll be able to connect (though for the time being these IP ranges as a whole will remain blocked). I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but I'm not sure we have many legitimate users playing from China, Vietnam, Colombia, or Korea anyway. :|
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

25 June 2016

Over the weekend I will be archiving user accounts that haven't been touched since 2013. If an old alt account of yours gets archived, or you are a returning player from three or more years ago, let me know so that we can restore your account.

I will also be working on the forums a little, but this should cause no interruptions.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

25 June 2016

As per the above notice I've archived around 15,000 user accounts, mostly from 2011-2013. As I did so, I realized that a lot of the account names would be pretty difficult to remember if you haven't played them in a couple of years. If anyone ever needs help remembering the user accounts associated with their CD keys (particularly if you are a returning player), know that you can ask the Sysop or myself to look that information up for you.

On the subject of who you can ask and for what, though:

Please be advised that if you are appealing a ban, or requesting to be un-banned, those requests should go to the Head DM usergroup. The Sysop, Lead Developer, and Lead Programmer offices do not process bans.

Requests for an account rollback may be submitted to the Sysop, but the Head DMs will be the ones to approve it as they are the ones who track them.

The Sysop can handle CD key fixes, connection issues, and other items. The Lead Developer and Lead Programmer can answer questions about the module, and will also accept applications to join the development team.

If there are any further questions about staff roles, please see this thread: Subject: BG:TSCC Staff
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

26 June 2016

Unfortunately, the server was corrupted last night. We may have got it stable again. We'll see shortly.

The backup was somehow overwritten as well, so the server vault will have been rolled back about 48 hours.

We're very sorry about the time lost.

Let us know if you have any character issues that we fixed for you in the last 48 hours that need to be fixed again.
Maecius
Retired Admin

Unread post by Maecius »

20 August 2016

As some of you already know, I've been trying in vain to retire for the last four years. I assure you that it's through no fault of my own that I keep ending up in these administrative roles!

But light at last shows itself a pinprick at the end of the tunnel.

I intend to transition the server over to a new administrator, hopefully before the end of the year, and then stand aside so that new community leaders can rise.

In my eyes, the person best-placed to take over for me is Endelyon. She has been absolutely critical in helping me save the server over the last year -- once when we were under crippling cyber attack and then again when we had to transition over to a new host due to Luna's disappearance and the old forum's collapse.

Endelyon is technically talented in the extreme, and is literally able to do everything Luna was able to do and then some. She can build maps, stage updates, work scripts, and otherwise coordinate better with the developers and content creators than I can with my limited technical expertise, and she is currently working on huge projects for the server, to include the new appearance changer and persistent storage.

She does not have as much administrative experience as some, having never served as a Head DM for example, so I will be naming her my co-admin for the next few months so that she can better learn some of the ins and outs of dealing with the social and political aspects of server management. I will be largely acting as a safety net and mentor, as well as her backup, during this period -- until I am ready to transition everything over.

I have been thinking of doing this ever since I took over. I only took over in the first place because I was the only one positioned at the time to ensure that the server did not die with Luna's vanishing. The reason I have waited this long is because Endelyon had some player-side roleplay to wrap-up, and I did not want to accidentally influence any decisions on where her character's story arc would end up. With her character's storyline wrapping up, I feel it's now a good time to invite her into a more administrative role, with the end goal being my stepping down from my admin position entirely.

I do want to thank everyone who's put their faith in me during this tumultuous spring and summer: You'll be stuck with me a few months more, but I wanted to give you all a look-ahead at what's to come, and to be as transparent as possible with you on what my plans and intentions are.

Thank you, also, to Endelyon, for giving me the chance to finally hang up my spurs. I love this place like a second home, and all of you like a family. :P But I am powerful tired after five or six years in various administrative functions! And there are things I'd like to focus on in my life that I cannot fully focus on while so much of my attention is spent on maintaining this server.

I appreciate everyone's understanding and support during this time of gradual transition. Happy gaming!
Endelyon

22 Aug 2016

Had to roll back the server vault about 2 hours worth following the update I implemented earlier this morning. There was a problem with the implementation of the new appearance changer that potentially could have caused equipment to both duplicate plot copies of itself.

Apologies for any progress that was lost.

But the good news is that I worked out the dialogue tree and that the new appearance changer is functioning properly now without the potential for mucking up your items. It's still a work in progress, as there are several odd things in it that shouldn't be (invisible outfits/outfits that don't show up, outfits that are missing their texture file etc.) If I catch wind that players aren't being responsible with it, I'll shut it back off until all the miscellany is weeded out properly.

Also, with the update, comes many new areas and revisions to areas, updates to creature files, general streamlining, and all kinds of neat things. I want to give a huge thanks to Duster47 who put this update together, as well as tfunke and Cubicle who incorporated new areas and new content. Rasael deserves a special mention as well, as I think he's cranked out script updates literally almost every day since we transitioned to our new host in an effort to fix bugs and stabilize the module. Finally getting our first content addition in has left me feeling very happy, and quite proud of our dev/scripter team as a whole. :) You are all amazing.

If anyone encounters any problems with the new content additions, please poke the devs and let them know. Thank you for your continued support of BGTSCC, and I hope you enjoy the new toys.
Endelyon

Endelyon wrote:Okay, so, there's a problem with the mirrors that I'm not going to elaborate much on, but the mirrors are going away. :lol:

Instead, you will find the an item called "Appearance Kit" for sale at the following vendors:
  • Aello in Baldur's Gate
  • The Barkeep in the Winding Way Inn
  • Bentley and his wife, at the Friendly Arm Inn (and the Temple)
  • The basic equipment vendor in Gloura's Wings.
Over time, I will try to add this to more vendors, but these are the four places where we had consignment shops so it seemed like a good start, at least.

Use the item in your inventory to activate the dialogue.

Not being able to hit "Go back" is intentional. Finalizing a property or piece of armor will cause the dialogue to end, and cancelling the changes should return you to the main menu. This is working as intended, so try to make sure you pick the right choice the first time.

There are still things like Gargoyle wings and odd appearances that should not be used unless your character has a legitimate need to dress up for a play or masquerade (or something of a similar vein like that).
Leaving this here since I keep getting a lot of questions about it. :oops:
Endelyon

27 Aug 2016
Player Storage!
Persistent storage is now enabled at the following locations:
  • Baldur's Gate (inside the SCCE, see map note, and the Merchant's League)
  • Sshamath (at a tent in the central bazaar, see map note)
  • Soubar (talk to Mags at the Winding Way Inn)
  • Friendly Arm Inn (talk to, of course, good old Bentley)
The system is hooked into an SQL back-end, so should prove quite reliable even in the event of module crashing. It has undergone testing by a handful of people, but like with any new system, please take precaution as bugs might inevitably creep up. Please PM me or the dev team if you see any problems or potential exploits with this new system.

The appearance changer also seems fairly well perfected, now, and all options should be working. Finishing these two systems were my two big projects I wanted to complete this year, and we're just about there. :)

Return to “Archive”